Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Potential 2014 Head Coach

All League

Potential 2014 Head Coach

First, let me say this thread isn't meant to bash Rex Ryan or complain about the current status of the team.

That said, I think most can agree that the Jets will probably be in the market for a new head coach come January.

Now looking at Idzik's career, he has worked in the front office of Seattle, where the assistant coaches were Darell Bevell and Gus Bradley. Bradley is now in Jax so it's obvious that Bevell will probably get some consideration. Idzik's first year in Seattle Jeremy Bates was OC but I don't see him being an option.

While in AZ, Denny Green was his HC and none of the coordinators have significant roles in today's NFL.

Now, looking at Tampa, they had a plenty of future head coaches. Idzik was there from 1993 - 2003. Some of the assistants to work under Dungy were:

Raheem Morris
    Jim Caldwell
    Lovie Smith
    Mike Mularkey

Looking at this short list, I could reasonably think that Lovie Smith, who worked under Idzik for 5 seasons could end up getting strong consideration.

If Caldwell duplicates what he has done the last 2 months, he may also receive consideration.

Of course, Smith and Caldwell don't give Woody the headlines that he craves but both fit the bill of being polar opposites of Ryan.

Any thoughts?

I think the next HC has to be an offensive mind. No other way to survive in this league. Maybe we can get Texas A&M HC Kevin Sumlin (I know, he just signed an extension, but the NFL is hard to pass up esp w/ the money Chip Kelly is making) who then persuades Johnny Football to declare for the draft so they can be together in NY. Just a thought

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    First, let me say this thread isn't meant to bash Rex Ryan or complain about the current status of the team.

That said, I think most can agree that the Jets will probably be in the market for a new head coach come January.

Now looking at Idzik's career, he has worked in the front office of Seattle, where the assistant coaches were Darell Bevell and Gus Bradley. Bradley is now in Jax so it's obvious that Bevell will probably get some consideration. Idzik's first year in Seattle Jeremy Bates was OC but I don't see him being an option.

While in AZ, Denny Green was his HC and none of the coordinators have significant roles in today's NFL.

Now, looking at Tampa, they had a plenty of future head coaches. Idzik was there from 1993 - 2003. Some of the assistants to work under Dungy were:

Raheem Morris
    Jim Caldwell
    Lovie Smith
    Mike Mularkey

Looking at this short list, I could reasonably think that Lovie Smith, who worked under Idzik for 5 seasons could end up getting strong consideration.

If Caldwell duplicates what he has done the last 2 months, he may also receive consideration.

Of course, Smith and Caldwell don't give Woody the headlines that he craves but both fit the bill of being polar opposites of Ryan.

Any thoughts?
    I always like Lovey Smith's demeanor when thing got tough. He set a good example to his players who played hard for him. He'd be my pick.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetsfan95 View Post
    I think the next HC has to be an offensive mind. No other way to survive in this league. Maybe we can get Texas A&M HC Kevin Sumlin (I know, he just signed an extension, but the NFL is hard to pass up esp w/ the money Chip Kelly is making) who then persuades Johnny Football to declare for the draft so they can be together in NY. Just a thought
    I agree that we could look to the college ranks. Sumlin and Shaw (from Stanford) would fit the bill offensively as well as look good to the league because both are minority hires.

All League
    If Rex flames out the coaches I think we hear about are:

Greg Roman (OC 49ers)
    Vic Fangio (DC 49ers)
    David Shaw (HC Stanford)

Not one of those guys is appealing. The Tampa 2 system is a means to not allow your defense to lose you games. It does not make your defense win you games and offense is far more important.

I want this team to end up with Jay Gruden.

I take offense at Lovie Smith, by the way. That's like instant mediocrity.

Rex arguably had less talent on defense in '09 and '10 and went further than all but 1 of Lovie's teams.

Get an offensive coach after the past, what, 4, being defensive minded...........

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Images
    Good lord, with all the current pressing issues we have, is this thread the least bit necessary?

I'm tempted to dump it but I'll let it roll.

Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    I agree that we could look to the college ranks. Sumlin and Shaw (from Stanford) would fit the bill offensively as well as look good to the league because both are minority hires.
    I am absolutely not at all trying to come off as a racist, but the fact that everybody is making a big deal about no minority hirings seems a bit ridiculous to me. I believe (at the least, I hope) that as a society we are in a place today where the best individual receives the job regardless of skin color or race. No minority coach would want to be hired if he was told that it was only for the reason that they are trying to look good to the league. That seems more offensive to me. It's not like the league has had only two minority coaches in its history. There have been a lot, though just not at this point in time.

Yikes to Jim Caldwell or Raheem Morris. I don't think Lovie Smith's background or track record with Chicago would satisfy this fanbase. I think hiring a top college guy with an offensive background might go over best.

Jets Insider VIP
    Jay Gruden.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by THE_SOOTHSAYER View Post
    Good lord, with all the current pressing issues we have, is this thread the least bit necessary?

Really? Keep all the Fatscesca threads yet dump something related?

Look at the board, threads relating to the Jets make up less than half. I think, true or not, legitimate media sources seem to think that due to the roster, QB specifically, and the cap, that 2013 is going to be a wash. So Idzik will be looking towards 2014. Why not have a discussion of what will eventually define this franchise going forward.

Thanks for re-considering.

People who think rex is gone next year are really jumping the gun. Let's let at least half of the 13 season go by before we get too involved in who the next HC is going to be.

Veteran
    Way too early to speculate on 2014. You never know who the next hot guy is. That being said, if we dumped Rex today - David Shaw would be very high on my list. He lost Andrew Luck and didn't miss a beat. Stanford uses a pro style offense and is very disciplined.

Quote Originally Posted by skipper View Post
    People who think rex is gone next year are really jumping the gun. Let's let at least half of the 13 season go by before we get too involved in who the next HC is going to be.
    There's no cap room. Rookies will almost certainly be forced to replace Pace, Thomas, and Scott.

The 2013 draft class is weak at the top end of it. This not a great draft.

Most of the salary cap is invested in corner back and a QB who is awful.

So yeah, looking at 2013 hopefully is unrealistic. If this GM is mandated to band-aid together a potential playoff contender this season, then this team takes further steps backwards for the years to come.

This includes the head coach, who has not in 4 years, been able to learn a damned thing about coaching offense and from what we see, essentially requires top 5 talent at Cornerback for his system to function.

This is not how you win a Super Bowl. Or even compete for extended periods.

What is there to be optimistic about? It's not media hype. It's from a season ticket holder here:

Outside of the young d-line, there's maybe 1 guy I think is worth paying to watch on offense (McKnight) and two great CB's. Landry was my salvation watching this past season. The Jets can't keep him. Nor should they.

Other than that what are you optimistic about?

"SANCHEZ COULD BE SALVAGED."

Go ask Jim Harbaugh how far he thought the "salvaged" Alex Smith, with a 70% completion percentage for the season before his concussion, could take his Niners.

Alex Smith was also a forced pick, like Sanchez. LOL at anybody who makes the first overall pick from Utah or for that matter pretty much the entire West Coast when drafting a QB.

Before Luck I have a hard time remembering any PAC12 or WAC or Western-based QB having a lick of success in the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by skipper View Post
    I don't think Rex has any chance at all to be honest, but to discuss his 2014 replacement now is silly. We don't have a clue who the candidates will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Jay Gruden.
    him and David Shaw out of Stanford would be my top 2 picks.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    Rookies will almost certainly be forced to replace Pace, Thomas, and Scott.
    I think only one rookie will be needed, the other two spots can be filled by players already on the roster :

Scott --> Davis. It's his time to step up and we see what he brings. He's been in the program a full year and will have a full off-season this year too. We didn't draft him in the 3rd round to sit on the bench.

Pace --> McIntyre. Sure he might not sound a flashy name, but he's been with us a while so knows the system. In limited playing time he had 35 tackles (Pace had 55 as a starter) and 3.5 sacks (Pace only had 3).

Thomas --> rookie. I don't think it's realistic to expect anything from Ricky Sapp, I know a lot of posters are high on him but he had trouble getting on the field this year.

Sure, you need to fill in the depth as these guys get promoted to starters, but cheap FA's / UDFA's / low draft picks will suffice for now, and we may turn up a guy who can go beyond a strictly back-up role in the future. All these guys should also be able to contribute on ST's.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by THE_SOOTHSAYER View Post

Laissez faire.

This board has been great since the season ended. No vile language and the personal attacks are at a minimum. The team has been taking a beating but they are fair game IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
    I think only one rookie will be needed, the other two spots can be filled by players already on the roster :

Scott --> Davis. It's his time to step up and we see what he brings. He's been in the program a full year and will have a full off-season this year too. We didn't draft him in the 3rd round to sit on the bench.

Pace --> McIntyre. Sure he might not sound a flashy name, but he's been with us a while so knows the system. In limited playing time he had 35 tackles (Pace had 55 as a starter) and 3.5 sacks (Pace only had 3).

Thomas --> rookie. I don't think it's realistic to expect anything from Ricky Sapp, I know a lot of posters are high on him but he had trouble getting on the field this year.

Sure, you need to fill in the depth as these guys get promoted to starters, but cheap FA's / UDFA's / low draft picks will suffice for now, and we may turn up a guy who can go beyond a strictly back-up role in the future. All these guys should also be able to contribute on ST's.
    Still extreme optimism, imo.

Just cause the roster slots are filled doesn't mean that any of them will do anything but spend this year developing on a bad team. I don't view it as a bad thing. I just don't expect playoffs. In fact, 7-9 would surprise the crap outta me.

I would think Woody Johnson would make sure to inform Idzik that he wanted an offensive mind, not a defensive mind, to kind of bring some energy back into a fan base that hasn't had an offensive minded Head Coach since ... I guess Parcells. Groh, Herm, Mangini, Rex - all cut from the same defensive cloth. Lovie Smith would be interesting because of his ability to once lead a team with Rex Grossman behind center to a Super Bowl appearance, but that would be the only defensive mind I think that would be under consideration. A name I particularly like is Seattle's Offensive Coordinator Darrell Bevell.