Smile

Jets fans, the best outcome I could wish for is the following;
    1. Jets get a top 3 pick in the 2014 draft
    2. They fire the clown and hire David Shaw from Stanford

3. They choose either Teddy Bridgewater or Johnny "football"

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post

Now, looking at Tampa, they had a plenty of future head coaches. Idzik was there from 1993 - 2003. Some of the assistants to work under Dungy were:

Raheem Morris
    Jim Caldwell
    Lovie Smith
    Mike Mularkey
    Haven't all these guys already been given their chance and failed? None of them is better than Rex.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Many here fail to realize...that when Woody set out to search for a new GM NYJ, that he sincerely wanted this individual to work with Rex, to turn the Jets around into being a playoff contender again. This was not a hollow request by Woody. He's not envisioning Rex as automatic HC fodder for 2013 only. But as a still viable part of the Jets formula to attain a Lombardi Trophy. This should be common sense to anyone posting here in this thread.

Woody is not interested in ridding himself of a HC that got the Jets to two consecutive AFCCGs. He truly believes that given a significant upgrade at GM. Someone that can straighten out the mess on offense. Do a better job at acquiring talent for this team. That Rex can then take the next step, and get the team beyond a CCG, and win a Lombardi Trophy for the NYJ.

After the Texans-Bengals playoff game ended...the announcer told the listeners that this was now the 22nd straight year that the Bengals failed to win a playoff game. So it dawned on me...Woody probably knows all about playoff failures and frustration...from his good friend Marty Schottenheimer. An HC with a prolific 195 regular season wins. But an HC that will probably never have a bust in Canton...cause Martyball has been a bust in the playoffs. In thirteen playoff appearances...Schotty Sr. only had 5 playoff wins. In just two playoffs...Rex has those two AFCCGs...and 4 playoff wins.

From the frustrations of HCs like Schotty Sr., and probably from some of his fellow frustrated owners in this league...Woody believes an HC that has had good success in the playoffs...shouldn't be someone you easily cast away. Maybe Bill Pollian...and Korn-Ferry agreed too. Not to mention that Idzik himself may have realized this too. It's not easy to win playoff games in this league. They are precious.

Idzik is a very smart and capable individual. And he's also very professional too. He's not taking on this job as GM. Nor taking Woody's money under false pretenses either. To think that Idzik will fire Rex...right after the gun sounds, to end the 16th game of the 2013 season, is just not based on any known reality. Is it based on Idzik's professional character or his personality to act this way? Until proven otherwise...I'd have to say no.

And I don't think an OC like Mornhinweg, is coming to the Jets being told...or is under the impression...that he's nothing more then 2013 OC fodder. Right now...the Jets need to re-establish some kind of credibility among the coaching establishment. After dumping Schotty Jr., and then doing a one and done with Sparano...as OCs NYJ. To then follow this up with another bunch of firings...well it better be definitely based clearly to all...on merit. that's how I see it.

Realistically...Jets will have another year of misery and losing. Everyone knows this. If Rex and the CS get canned...it won't be based on mere losses. It would have to do with how they handle the team and their jobs. How competitive and how hard Jets play will count for something too.

Woody ain't stupid...that's why he hired Idzik. And Idzik ain't no dummy either...he knows why Woody hired him...to work with Rex.

All the above named individuals I've mentioned...are footbal men. They're going to give each other an honest handshake...roll up their sleeves...and make this work. Cause they're professionals in the same football fraternity, that have a respect and passion for this game. And each others professional lives and reputations on the line...as they share a common task.

Do you honestly think it's otherwise?

Fans want wins...playoffs...the Lombardi Trophy. And the NYJ brain trust know that. But that doesn't mean that they should succomb to the frustrations of fans. Especially the prepubescent behaving ones...that orgiastically dance to every tune pied piped to them from the rag whinners. for they have their own agenda's at heart...and not what's in the best interests of the NYJ.

Again...reputations are on the line. Woody's...Rex'...Mornhinweg's...Lee's...etc...and of course Idzik's too. Each and everyone of them wants to get the job done. They know they need to all work together in order to accomplish their goals for success.

As for me...I'm willing to let things unfold. if Rex and the CS screw it up...then Idzik needs to show them the door. But if they are not part of the problem...then Idzik should be moving forward with them in finding solutions for 2014.

With fans...it's always the next GM...or its the next HC, that's going to be the one to get it done. There's never any patience. That's why this team has been the Circle Jerk Jets. Wandering around for over 43 years...and counting. That's why I hope that what Woody believes will work...will actually work! Or else...it's simply another round of cockeyed optimism with another bunch of saviors...as it always is...in Jets Paradise.
    Last edited by GreenReaper; 01-22-2013 at 07:20 PM.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    After we go 2-14 next year, I would love to get David Shaw as HC, and have him coach Johnny Manziel or Teddy Bridgewater up.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wasn't nominating any of the HCs in the OP. Many GMs go back to guys they know. I just took10 minutes to look up who the coordinators were while Idzik was employed.

As far as the poster who said we only need one rookie to shore up the LBs, you may correct. But is that rookie a first round pick? If so, the what do we do at G, TE, FS, or SS?

Look back at all of Rex's draft? How many rookies do we start? I really think 2013 is going to be a tough season.

This said, after this season, Rex either gets extended or fired.

That said, I would be thrilled with Bevell, Shaw, or Sumlin. But would not shocked with Caldwell or even Lovie Smith.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    After Rex gets fired-

HC: Rich Kotite
    DC: Jerry Sandusky
    OC: Brian Schitenheimer

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jets have to be ORIGINAL . They have to do what u dont Xpect them to do to win the SB.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    My favorite line of thinking. Talent will fall off, older players will be gone, rookies or no names will play, draft sucks so no new influx of talent, team will lose because of a lack of talent so......fire Rex.

Lol

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    David Shaw.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenReaper View Post
    Many here fail to realize...that when Woody set out to search for a new GM NYJ, that he sincerely wanted this individual to work with Rex, to turn the Jets around into being a playoff contender again. This was not a hollow request by Woody. He's not envisioning Rex as automatic HC fodder for 2013 only. But as a still viable part of the Jets formula to attain a Lombardi Trophy. This should be common sense to anyone posting here in this thread.

Woody is not interested in ridding himself of a HC that got the Jets to two consecutive AFCCGs. He truly believes that given a significant upgrade at GM. Someone that can straighten out the mess on offense. Do a better job at acquiring talent for this team. That Rex can then take the next step, and get the team beyond a CCG, and win a Lombardi Trophy for the NYJ.

After the Texans-Bengals playoff game ended...the announcer told the listeners that this was now the 22nd straight year that the Bengals failed to win a playoff game. So it dawned on me...Woody probably knows all about playoff failures and frustration...from his good friend Marty Schottenheimer. An HC with a prolific 195 regular season wins. But an HC that will probably never have a bust in Canton...cause Martyball has been a bust in the playoffs. In thirteen playoff appearances...Schotty Sr. only had 5 playoff wins. In just two playoffs...Rex has those two AFCCGs...and 4 playoff wins.

From the frustrations of HCs like Schotty Sr., and probably from some of his fellow frustrated owners in this league...Woody believes an HC that has had good success in the playoffs...shouldn't be someone you easily cast away. Maybe Bill Pollian...and Korn-Ferry agreed too. Not to mention that Idzik himself may have realized this too. It's not easy to win playoff games in this league. They are precious.

Idzik is a very smart and capable individual. And he's also very professional too. He's not taking on this job as GM. Nor taking Woody's money under false pretenses either. To think that Idzik will fire Rex...right after the gun sounds, to end the 16th game of the 2013 season, is just not based on any known reality. Is it based on Idzik's professional character or his personality to act this way? Until proven otherwise...I'd have to say no.

And I don't think an OC like Mornhinweg, is coming to the Jets being told...or is under the impression...that he's nothing more then 2013 OC fodder. Right now...the Jets need to re-establish some kind of credibility among the coaching establishment. After dumping Schotty Jr., and then doing a one and done with Sparano...as OCs NYJ. To then follow this up with another bunch of firings...well it better be definitely based clearly to all...on merit. that's how I see it.

Realistically...Jets will have another year of misery and losing. Everyone knows this. If Rex and the CS get canned...it won't be based on mere losses. It would have to do with how they handle the team and their jobs. How competitive and how hard Jets play will count for something too.

Woody ain't stupid...that's why he hired Idzik. And Idzik ain't no dummy either...he knows why Woody hired him...to work with Rex.

All the above named individuals I've mentioned...are footbal men. They're going to give each other an honest handshake...roll up their sleeves...and make this work. Cause they're professionals in the same football fraternity, that have a respect and passion for this game. And each others professional lives and reputations on the line...as they share a common task.

Do you honestly think it's otherwise?

Fans want wins...playoffs...the Lombardi Trophy. And the NYJ brain trust know that. But that doesn't mean that they should succomb to the frustrations of fans. Especially the prepubescent behaving ones...that orgiastically dance to every tune pied piped to them from the rag whinners. for they have their own agenda's at heart...and not what's in the best interests of the NYJ.

Again...reputations are on the line. Woody's...Rex'...Mornhinweg's...Lee's...etc...and of course Idzik's too. Each and everyone of them wants to get the job done. They know they need to all work together in order to accomplish their goals for success.

As for me...I'm willing to let things unfold. if Rex and the CS screw it up...then Idzik needs to show them the door. But if they are not part of the problem...then Idzik should be moving forward with them in finding solutions for 2014.

With fans...it's always the next GM...or its the next HC, that's going to be the one to get it done. There's never any patience. That's why this team has been the Circle Jerk Jets. Wandering around for over 43 years...and counting. That's why I hope that what Woody believes will work...will actually work! Or else...it's simply another round of cockeyed optimism with another bunch of saviors...as it always is...in Jets Paradise.
    Excellent post.

But at the end of the day Woody understands his bottom line; money. If the Jets have to endure a 4 win season filled with bad back pages and empty seats, he will replace Rex. Not because he necessarily wants to but because of the outcry from the media and fans.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by THE_SOOTHSAYER View Post
    Good lord, with all the current pressing issues we have, is this thread the least bit necessary?

I'm tempted to dump it but I'll let it roll.
    Exactly right.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetsfan95 View Post
    I think the next HC has to be an offensive mind. No other way to survive in this league. Maybe we can get Texas A&M HC Kevin Sumlin (I know, he just signed an extension, but the NFL is hard to pass up esp w/ the money Chip Kelly is making) who then persuades Johnny Football to declare for the draft so they can be together in NY. Just a thought
    obv, based on the two guys in the current SB

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    Still extreme optimism, imo.

Just cause the roster slots are filled doesn't mean that any of them will do anything but spend this year developing on a bad team. I don't view it as a bad thing. I just don't expect playoffs. In fact, 7-9 would surprise the crap outta me.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting playoffs either, and the above scenario is simply looking at filling holes with serviceable guys, not stars / playmakers.

My feeling is that replacing Scott & Pace with Davis and McIntyre, and drafting one decent OLB, will at least give us status quo at the LB position, and our D was still pretty good last year. Not champs, but not chumps either. Enough to put a respectable unit out on the field.

What this frees us up to do is to invest more of our draft picks on rebuilding the (very unrespectable) offense, plus hopefully bring in an influx of talent at select positions on D (esp. safety). To replace the depth that you lose by promoting in house guys, you can bring in UDFA's and cheaper "end of career" free agents to tide us over.

IF you strike lucky on some of your lower picks and somehow manage to get some production at QB, you could end up with an improvement over this year, but even if it's another 6-10, hopefully it's a 6-10 that shows potential for the future ... rather than a 6-10 that shows the need to clean house.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    With the scrutiny that the lack of minorities got this offseason, you can just about guarantee that we would be hiring a minority head coach if Rex gets fired.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by intelligentjetsfan View Post
    Excellent post.

But at the end of the day Woody understands his bottom line; money. If the Jets have to endure a 4 win season filled with bad back pages and empty seats, he will replace Rex. Not because he necessarily wants to but because of the outcry from the media and fans.
    Rex's defense automatically gets us 6 wins so that won't be happening...

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Met57 View Post
    obv, based on the two guys in the current SB
    Jim Harbaugh? Former NFL quarterback who inherited great defensive personnel and has an offensive system that is absolutely showing the direction of QBs/offense in this league

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Rex's defense automatically gets us 6 wins so that won't be happening...
    Miami will be better. Buffalo, if they get a decent QB, will be better.

No. 4-12 is most likely.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetsfan95 View Post
    I think the next HC has to be an offensive mind. No other way to survive in this league. Maybe we can get Texas A&M HC Kevin Sumlin (I know, he just signed an extension, but the NFL is hard to pass up esp w/ the money Chip Kelly is making) who then persuades Johnny Football to declare for the draft so they can be together in NY. Just a thought
    This notion that you must have an offensive minded head coach is a myth.

The Harbaugh brothers are not exactly considered "offensive minds" despite Jim being a QB. Jon was DB in college and a special teams/DBs coach in the pros. I don't think Jim was ever considered an offensive minded head coach on any of his coaching stops.

Bellichick is a defensive coach.

The seahawks could have easily made it to the Super Bowl and they are lead by Pete Carroll, another former defensive coordinatory

And Mike Smith was a defensive coach before becoming head coach.

So if anything, this year proves that you are better off with a defensive minded head coach that has a good QB/OC.
    Last edited by revischrist; 01-23-2013 at 10:53 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    This notion that you must have an offensive minded head coach is a myth.

The Harbaugh brothers are not exactly considered "offensive minds" despite Jon being a QB. Jon was DB in college and a special teams/DBs coach in the pros. I don't think Jim was ever considered an offensive minded head coach on any of his coaching stops.

Bellichick is a defensive coach.

The seahawks could have easily made it to the Super Bowl and they are lead by Pete Carroll, another former defensive coordinatory

And Mike Smith was a defensive coach before becoming head coach.

So if anything, this year proves that you are better off with a defensive minded head coach that has a good QB/OC.
    I have to agree. If we truly are making a long term commitment to the WCO, then We may in fact keep both the coordinators. The new HC could concentrate on the whole team aspect and be a leader and tweak without having to call plays (on offense or defense).