Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 1st Round Draft Pick ->

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

2013 1st Round Draft Pick ->

If you're the Jets you obviously have to address the lack of talent on offense. Since adding a Franchise QB isn't likely with Barkley & Smith not being top 15 talent I think they should look at other positions on offense to fill major voids.

My choice would be OL and specifically OG Chance Warmack. He would immediately start at either the LG or RG position. Moore is a UFA and is 33 so I doubt he would be back. Slauson while serviceable doesn't get push off of the line and we need better push from the inside of our OL.

My second choice would be WR Justin Hunter. He's a really good WR with great size, speed and guess what - he can catch. He is a polished WR with great hands and speed. At 6'4 210 he goes across the middle and beats press coverage and is probably the best WR that has come out of the draft since Cincy's Green.

I think Hunter will go in the top 6 picks as there are lots of teams that could use a 1st tier WR. The same could be same for Warmack as he's a top 5 players in terms of ranking and talent, but OG rarely go in the top ten. I think he may make it to the 10-12 spot where I think the Jets will be selecting at.

Thoughts??

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    We need a hell of a lot more talent than OL at this point IMO. Line hasn't been a huge issue this year, Howard hasn't been great but he's been way better than Hunter was. Brick has had his best season. Moore is OK, and Slauson is avg. Mangold we all know is the best C in the league. I want either a stud reciever or a stud pass rusher. I don't think there are any RBs of Trent Richardson/Doug Martin level this year for the first round, but if he declares I would LOVE to get Silas Redd in the 2nd or 3rd round- He can run for speed, power, and strength. Would be a three down back in the NFL with burst and explosiveness.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mike Glennon QB - NC State

Sanchez is absolute dogsh!t
    AND THAT IS THAT!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uygMU8GbWPE

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    My firm belief is that, assuming the value is there, Jets address pass rush with their first pick: Jones, Moore, Mingo, Barr, Ansah, Jordan, etc. This draft will be all about getting playmakers. Warmack is the one exception, but the DE/OLB class looks awfully strong for first round talent and its a HUGE need for thr Jets. Conversely, doesn't seek like a lot of first round talent for offensive playmakers this year, but I'd be happy with a QB or RB in the second day.

As for Justin Hunter, check out the draft forum to see what Tony P thinks of him -- not much.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    hmmm where are the needs.....

OL
    WR
    RB
    QB
    TE
    OLBs
    ILBs
    Safeties, cuz why would Landry and Bell want to stay here next year...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    You don't take a G or TE in the 1st round. period. If we do it is an automatic fail IMO. My early draft board would look something like this.

1 Barkley - Biggest need the only QB prospect I like early 1st
    2 Manti - Drafting a MLB last year aside friggen A he is a beast.
    3 Dee Milliner - So we can trade Cro. and not have to sweat Revis.
    4 Mingo - Not only for the talent but the name.
    5 Monty
    6 Bjoern Werner
    7 Damontre Moore - only if we go 4-3
    8 Tyler Wilson - Maybe our best option for QB where we will pick.
    9 Xavier Rhodes - See Milliner
    10 Landry Jones - Liking him more and more lately. Think He'll rise after the combine.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    My choice would be to trade down to get as many 2nd and 3rd round picks as possible. This team has a lot of holes that need to be filled, and it's time for them to make up for the limited drafts of the past few years.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    You don't take a G or TE in the 1st round. period. If we do it is an automatic fail IMO. My early draft board would look something like this.

1 Barkley - Biggest need the only QB prospect I like early 1st
    2 Manti - Drafting a MLB last year aside friggen A he is a beast.
    3 Dee Milliner - So we can trade Cro. and not have to sweat Revis.
    4 Mingo - Not only for the talent but the name.
    5 Monty
    6 Bjoern Werner
    7 Damontre Moore - only if we go 4-3
    8 Tyler Wilson - Maybe our best option for QB where we will pick.
    9 Xavier Rhodes - See Milliner
    10 Landry Jones - Liking him more and more lately. Think He'll rise after the combine.
    Landry Jones is hot poo...no thanks.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Appreciate you putting this in the normal forum. Nobody goes to the draft board since they moved it. Biggest mistake the Mr. T's of this site have made while running it.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Peebag View Post
    Landry Jones is hot poo...no thanks.
    Jones has the size of a great qb, his release is just so weird. I would take him in the third but i doubt he lasts there.

Honestly I would love to see this team lose out and draft jarvis jones, but for some reason I can't bring myself to root for the Jets to lose.

Not sure if I like any of the quarterbacks in this draft. Barkley and Smith have bust written all over them, Aaron Murray I love but he has no size and our next quarterback MUST be between 6'3-6'5...no more batted balls at the line I can't take it. Glennon and Bray are so raw and Bray has the (rumored) attitude issues. Liked EJ Manuel for awhile but he had a legendary horrible showing against Florida.

If we draft in the top-10, grab one of the pass rushers. if lower, go with offensive line. grab a running back and/or wideout in rounds 2 and 3, take a quarterback in the 4-5 range and add in some defensive guys here and there.

Thinking about it more, if we beat all the crap teams on our schedule and finish say 7-9 or 8-8, I would love Tyler Eifert from Notre Dame in the middle of the first round. Not sure exactly what his stock is at now, but I've watched this dude play a lot with a diehard ND roommate, i love his game...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Barkevious Mingo or Damontre Moore

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I believe Bray is coming out this year since it seems like he doesn't want to play his senior year under a new coaching staff. Def a guy that can be brought in and sit a year until we can cut Sanchez

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think Warmack would be the smart decision...unfortunately with Sanchez's contract being so ridiculous the Jets cannot cut him nor find any suitors who would trade for him and take on his contract. I definitely don't see a franchise QB in this draft, I think Geno Smith is a system guy who has unbelievable WR's and I will never want a USC QB again ever so no to Barkley. So why not build the OL up again? We likely are losing Brandon Moore, obviously Ducasse sucks after our OL coach publicly bashed him. I'd be all for Chance Warmack, he seems like a safe pick, has dominated SEC defensive lineman and we cannot afford to swing and miss this year. I'd also say we should go into next season saying it is a complete open competition at QB between Sanchez and McElroy (I feel like there is no way Tebow is back next year but I could be wrong).

I read a rumor that the Raiders might be looking to trade McFadden since Reece played so well in his absence...guy has been injury prone but his talent cannot be denied. Maybe a 3rd can get him (especially since we'll have a high pick), draft Warmack and another WR and we can be on the right track. It'll give Sanchez no excuses if he sucks and will set up a decent cast for whoever who move onto next

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think this team has so many holes you can't draft for specific position in round 1, despite the major need for a stud LB. I say you need to take best available. Best player there is a WR? take his azz. Can't reach for guys anymore. We fall in love after a 10 minute interview and some "game tape" and get burned too often by first rounders

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pass rusher in the round 1. Offense rest of the draft.

Look at the Colts. They didn't just draft Andrew Luck and say "oh he has Reggie Wayne, let's call it a day".

They did this the rest of the draft:
    TE (Fleener), TE (Allen), WR (Hilton), RB (Ballard), WR (Brazill)

We have to make some investments on offense.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, best player that is there for us for the most part but as far as position goes.

If Rex is here going forward OLB should be the pick.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JamaicanJetFan View Post
    Pass rusher in the round 1. Offense rest of the draft.

Look at the Colts. They didn't just draft Andrew Luck and say "oh he has Reggie Wayne, let's call it a day".

They did this the rest of the draft:
    TE (Fleener), TE (Allen), WR (Hilton), RB (Ballard), WR (Brazill)

We have to make some investments on offense.
    I like this theory. But we need to find our Andrew Luck first.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Well, best player that is there for us for the most part but as far as position goes.

If Rex is here going forward OLB should be the pick.
    I really doubt Rex stays after this year

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    As of today the Jets would draft between 7-13 depending on tie breakers. For the good of the future of the Jets, I hope we don't see the win column the rest of the year....it's all about the future....and my plan is a long term plan. The Jets have way to many holes based on performance alone. Add in the bad seeds that must be extracted from the roster....the needs are many which requires the Jets organization to stockpile picks and roll picks into later years for higher rounds.....just like the Patriots have done for the last decade. I'm of the opinion that with teams so flush in $$$, that money rarely forces a player to leave a team. Players that make to FA are both flawed and overpriced.
    Lets say the Jets draft at #10. The plan should be to move back multiple times to gain 2s and 3s. If executed, then trade those middle rounders for a round earlier the following draft. Yes it will be painful, but we have all seen how the Patriots built the highest scoring offense with no skill players drafted in the first round.
    This organization needs to clean house and get on with the future.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The thing I find funny is Mel Kiper has bashed this QB class so much that now everyone is going on about no franchise QBs, how weak the class is, etc. Same guy who thought Russell Wilson was a reach in the 3rd round last year. Same guy who thought Aaron Rodgers wasn't a "franchise QB" and led to his tumble on draft day. Kiper is wrong a lot. If the Jets want to go QB and they see a guy they like, don't not do it because talking heads like Kiper said this isn't a good QB class.