Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Current State Of The Jets

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

The Current State Of The Jets

PERCEPTION VS REALITY

The New York Jets are widely believed to be a losing franchise. As of January 12th 2013, It's been 44 years since the Jets have won a superbowl. There have been many ups and a lot more downs since that ground breaking and league changing championship in 1969. Throughout the 70's and much of the 80's, The Jets became an irrelevant franchise. Very few winning seasons or playoff seasons over the course of two decades. There were slight hiccups along the way where the Jets made an impact and went on runs towards a championship(1982) but there was a lot more losing than winning in those two decades.

The 90's saw the Jets start off somewhat promising only to fall badly and become a laughingstock by the time 1996 finished. It wasn't until Bill Parcells arrived in 1997, That the Jets would change course and change their culture and become a contender. Since 1997, The Jets have been a respectable and contending franchise. They won their first division title since the merger in 1970 and from 1998 to present day, The Jets have won two division titles and have made the playoffs 7 different times and have made 3 trips to the AFC Championship Game. In the last 16 seasons, The Jets have only 4 non winning seasons. In the era of parody, that measures up pretty well against the other 31 NFL franchises. The Jets transformed from being a laughing stock and irrelevant franchise to being relevant and a legitimate contender. The local and national media would have you believe otherwise but the Jets have been a respectable franchise since 1997.

BACK TO THE DARK AGES

This leads me to where I feel this franchise is now headed or currently is. It looks like the Jets have officially reverted back to their losing ways prior to 1997. It's been a long time since the Jets franchise was considered and expected to be awful and that's where they currently stand. The late season collapse of 2011 and the ugliness of 2012 have combined to set this franchise back and downward. It's amazing how far down the team has gone after two magical runs near the mountain top just two years ago. There are a lot of people to blame for the downfall. Poor leadership and team awareness by Rex Ryan. Poor management by Mike Tannenbaum and poor ownership and guidance by Woody Johnson. The run is over. You can not recapture the vibe and aura that the franchise had.

MOVING FORWARD

It's hard to gauge what direction the Jets are currently in. Are they retooling or rebuilding? The model for rebuilding is in place, A young roster with a lot of departing veterans. You have uncertainty at key spots like QB and a new leader of football operations in John Idzik. At the same time, The Jets have the same football leader in place in Rex Ryan, the same quality defensive system and a whole new accomplished offensive staff. Rex is coaching for his life in 2013. If the Jets do not have a winning season or make the playoffs. He is gone. He knows it and the entire organization knows it. Rather than begin a complete organizational reset. Woody Johnson has decided to try and take another shot. The problem is that The Jets are not constructed properly to be a legitimate contender. They do not and will not have the neccessary cap room to improve their talent base. They don't have the current talent base to be a legitimate contender. The team is stuck in neutral. If 2013 goes as projected, The Jets will have to reset the entire organization from the coaching staff to the scouting department a year from now. The only person that will remain is John Idzik. Instead of using 2013 to build for 2014. The Jets are putting off the rebuild for another year in the hopes of getting back to where they were. That ship has sailed. Woody failed to realize that or doesn't want to face that reality. By attempting this in 2013, The Jets are pretty much setting themselves up for potentially two more losing seasons in 2013 and 2014. Even if the organization gets things on track, They may not contend until 2015.

There is always a fine line between realistic and pessimistic. So I know that this thread can be seen in both lights. Probably leaning more towards the pessimistic side. There is something about the way 2012 ended that made me feel like we are back to the way things were before 1997. I hope that I am wrong.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    WOW! You came back to us. I missed you, glad to see you here.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    A really good, well-thought out analysis. I will contend that while the Jets are at a crossroads with regards to recapturing their winning ways, today's NFL allows for a franchise to retool and be competitive at the same time, if done correctly. Make no mistake, the Jets are in retooling mode, not rebuilding. I truly believe with the right coaching and smart drafting/FA, they can be a playoff contender going into week 17 of the 2013 season.
    Last edited by Jetworks; 01-22-2013 at 05:34 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I see no reason to think they aren't going to rebuild this year.

Keeping Rex doesn't have to mean anything other than Woody wanted to save $6mm in a rebuilding year and give his new GM time to understand the talent.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome back YJF.

If I was Woody, I wouldn't be judging Rex on W/L in 2013.. He stays if he keeps the locker room, the defense continues to perform, and he stays out of the offense, allowing the OC to open things up, then you keep Rex... assuming Idzik can work with him.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnails View Post
    WOW! You came back to us. I missed you, glad to see you here.
    Thanks.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good write up, unfortunately I feel the same way. Our future hasn't looked so uncertain in a looooong time.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not so sure the ship has sailed, although I can understand why feel that way.

Things do appear to be pretty bleak on the offensive side of the ball, then again with a couple of good drafts, and then maybe some help through free agency in 2014, it is not out the realm to think the Jets could recover.

But that's just me, I am an eternal optimist.

Hit on a guard and maybe a good RB,,, ah hell.............

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetworks View Post
    I really good, well-thought out analysis. I will contend that while the Jets are at a crossroads with regards to recapturing their winning ways, today's NFL allows for a franchise to retool and be competitive at the same time, if done correctly. Make no mistake, the Jets are in retooling mode, not rebuilding. I truly believe with the right coaching and smart drafting/FA, they can be a playoff contender going into week 17 of the 2013 season.
    I agree with your take on today's NFL Jetworks. Quick turnarounds can and do happen.

The talent level and leadership on the Jets greatly decreased in the past two years. The question with the Jets is, Can they improve upon their talent level in 2013?

It's going to be hard and it's not just about the QB position. The Jets stand to lose some premium players like Laron Landry and Dustin Keller. The Jets could take a hit at both of those spots in 2013 because of their cap situation and limited flexibility. No franchise tag allowed for Landry and no franchise tag used on Keller because of the cap.

Woody Johnson has definitely set the Jets up as a retool team for 2013. That's why Rex is still here. He's given Rex the task of fixing the coaching staff while Idzik is in charge of fixing the Jets cap and talent level for 2013 and beyond. Make or break year in my opinion for Rex because Woody expects this team to be a contender this coming season.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    This is why it made absolutely no sense to bring Rex back. And I'm not a Rex hater.

We know he's coaching for his football life. Our new GM has the power to fire him next year. This is a 4-6 win football team next year. So Rex is a goner. We're wasting a year by keeping him here when we already basically know he's gone. We should've fired everyone. Instead next year 1 of 2 things will happen.

1. Rex is fired and we fire the staf. Now we're going on our 4th OC in 4 years.

2. Rex is fired and Woody decides that he wants the staf to stay and just bring in a new HC. And our new HC is hamstrung by not bringing in his guys. Which it turn won't land us a real cadidate.
    Last edited by LockeJET; 01-22-2013 at 05:42 PM.

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Very realistic view of the team. I agree with pretty much all points.

Great to have you back YJF.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by YJF View Post
    I agree with your take on today's NFL Jetworks. Quick turnarounds can and do happen.

The talent level and leadership on the Jets greatly decreased in the past two years. The question with the Jets is, Can they improve upon their talent level in 2013?

It's going to be hard and it's not just about the QB position. The Jets stand to lose some premium players like Laron Landry and Dustin Keller. The Jets could take a hit at both of those spots in 2013 because of their cap situation and limited flexibility. No franchise tag allowed for Landry and no franchise tag used on Keller because of the cap.

Woody Johnson has definitely set the Jets up as a retool team for 2013. That's why Rex is still here. He's given Rex the task of fixing the coaching staff while Idzik is in charge of fixing the Jets cap and talent level for 2013 and beyond. Make or break year in my opinion for Rex because Woody expects this team to be a contender this coming season.
    Completely agree. I'm hopeful the Jets will be able to retain Landry, but it isn't looking particularly good. More realistic is their ability to sign Keller to a middling deal and repair Sanchez to a degree. After that, some stop-gap measures like the best OL available and improved play from Hill will go a long way to this team succeeding with diminished talent on the D.

Here's hopin'.....

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    Welcome back YJF.

If I was Woody, I wouldn't be judging Rex on W/L in 2013.. He stays if he keeps the locker room, the defense continues to perform, and he stays out of the offense, allowing the OC to open things up, then you keep Rex... assuming Idzik can work with him.
    Woody wants to keep Rex. That's for sure. Those first two seasons bought him this next season. No other Jets coach in history has taken the Jets that close to the mountain top two years in a row like Rex did in 09 and 10.

I think if we fast forward to December of this year and the Jets are 4 and 9 or worse. Woody will have no choice but to prepare for life after Rex with the Jets.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

BACK TO THE DARK AGES

This leads me to where I feel this franchise is now headed or currently is. It looks like the Jets have officially reverted back to their losing ways prior to 1997. It's been a long time since the Jets franchise was considered and expected to be awful and that's where they currently stand. The late season collapse of 2011 and the ugliness of 2012 have combined to set this franchise back and downward. It's amazing how far down the team has gone after two magical runs near the mountain top just two years ago. There are a lot of people to blame for the downfall. Poor leadership and team awareness by Rex Ryan. Poor management by Mike Tannenbaum and poor ownership and guidance by Woody Johnson. The run is over. You can not recapture the vibe and aura that the franchise had.

There is always a fine line between realistic and pessimistic. So I know that this thread can be seen in both lights. Probably leaning more towards the pessimistic side. There is something about the way 2012 ended that made me feel like we are back to the way things were before 1997. I hope that I am wrong.
    He's alive!

Glad to have you back. This is spot-on. I have very expensive PSL's and a BMW now.

SAR I

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow

Glad you are back

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    This is why it made absolutely no sense to bring Rex back. And I'm not a Rex hater.

We know he's coaching for his football life. Our new GM has the power to fire him next year. This is a 4-6 win football team next year. So Rex is a goner. We're wasting a year by keeping him here when we already basically know he's gone. We should've fired everyone. Instead next year 1 of 2 things will happen.

1. Rex is fired and we fire the staf. Now we're going on our 4th OC in 4 years.

2. Rex is fired and Woody decides that he wants the staf to stay and just bring in a new HC. And our new HC is hamstrung by not bringing in his guys. Which it turn won't land us a real cadidate.
    I hope you are wrong. I hope that Rex gets it right in year 5 and The Jets make that journey back up the mountain. The bottom line, Woody loves Rex so much that he wants to give him one last chance to get the team back to where they were. I think if Rex and the Jets fall flat on their face next season like a 4 win type season. Then, John Idzik is going to get ultimate power over everything in the organization.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by THE_SOOTHSAYER View Post
    Very realistic view of the team. I agree with pretty much all points.

Great to have you back YJF.
    Thanks Sooth. I don't know if I can contribute like I have in the past but this posting stuff can be addicting once you get started.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Woody wants to keep Rex. That's for sure. Those first two seasons bought him this next season. No other Jets coach in history has taken the Jets that close to the mountain top two years in a row like Rex did in 09 and 10.

I think if we fast forward to December of this year and the Jets are 4 and 9 or worse. Woody will have no choice but to prepare for life after Rex with the Jets.
    Here's the million dollar question - is it possible that the Jets get worse QB play in 2013 then they did in 2012?

Even with the new roster, you have to figure the Jets can't get worse offensively.. right? .. right??

If the new OC can get the offense to be mediocre, and Rex can continue to field a top 10 defense, the team may be more competitive than you think. Granted, they have A LOT of roster spots to fill, but it's definitely not improbable.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    He's alive!

Glad to have you back. This is spot-on. I have very expensive PSL's and a BMW now.

SAR I
    Thanks Sar. You and I agreeing on something almost feels like giving in to the dark side.... It's like I am Anakin Skywalker and you are the Emperor. I think if you own PSL's. You have every right to complain. If you own a BMW, You should smile a little more.

Nothing like rubbing elbows with fellow Jet fans in the land of soul sucking pessimism. We all have that trait as Jets fans. You Sar are however the master at it. I think, in order to get more people on your side. You need to post at least 2 positive threads a week. Try something like "The Jets young d-line" or "Cro and Revis best CB tandem".

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    Wow

Glad you are back
    Thanks JonEJet.