Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Internet TV Advice

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Internet TV Advice

I was wondering if anyone here at JI uses hulu or another I TV service? I was thinking about trying it for MLB games. Any advice before I purchase an Apple type tv streamer?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BigEthel View Post
    I was wondering if anyone here at JI uses hulu or another I TV service? I was thinking about trying it for MLB games. Any advice before I purchase an Apple type tv streamer?
    I have both Apple TV and a Roku. Those boxes are getting very cheap these days, a great way to access subscription services like Hulu, Netflix, etc.

If you're an iTunes user definitely go with Apple TV in my opinion.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd been wondering about this myself. How exactly does the Roku work?
    I believe that Vizio just came out with a competing product, sounded interesting, cant remember the name for ****.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Roku FTW. Simple setup. Friendly UI. Loads of content.

If you are an Apple guy and actually purchase things from the iTunes store then the Apple TV might be good.

http://www.amazon.com/Roku-XS-1080p-...ywords=roku+xd

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    I believe that Vizio just came out with a competing product, sounded interesting, cant remember the name for ****.
    The Vizio device looks nice. It seems to be Google based. I have never owned anything Vizio so I cannot speak from experience.

If you want something with storage you should also check out the Corsair Voyager Air.

You have to decide what your needs are b.c some of these devices are specific and somewhat limited in what they can do. Some devices only use certain services.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    ROKU HD.
    Like $70
    Remote is easily memorized. I move the box to the lil one's room whenever I want to keep him occupied for days. Simple product to use. Enter wifi password and plug into hdmi on whichever tv

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    The Vizio device looks nice. It seems to be Google based. I have never owned anything Vizio so I cannot speak from experience.

If you want something with storage you should also check out the Corsair Voyager Air.

You have to decide what your needs are b.c some of these devices are specific and somewhat limited in what they can do. Some devices only use certain services.
    I think it's called the Vizio Co-Star

http://www.vizio.com/costar/overview

Might have to look into this.

I have a Vizio 42" and I love it, would definitely buy a Vizio product again.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. Mlb tv subscription is 25.00. That is super cheap if I use roku or apple. I think I wlll give it a try! Thans again.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 2

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have been an Apple TV owner since the day it was released, and have nothing but good things to say about its quality, ease-of-use, and integration.

We had a free subscription for Hulu plus, and now my kids won't let me cancel it. It allows them to stream shows to their iPads after lights-out and watch all the Nickelodeon content their little hearts desire. I got duped.

Besides the streaming content, if you have iPhones you'd be foolish not to get an Apple TV as you can stream video and photos that you've taken directly to the TV without transferring any files. Just walk in the house, hit one button, and all the photos you just took are up on the big screen. And if you use photo stream, it's even better as you can share photos with family and friends. I created a photo stream for my kids grandparents at the moment I take photos on vacation and put them in the stream they can see it on there instantly.

Here's a good article comparing the two devices:

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7...hould-you-buy/

SAR I

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    All of these devices, including Apple TV, are hockey puck sized black boxes that merely act as a way to get internet content into an HDMI port on your HDTV. Most of the content is free, but some you pay for as a subscription or pay-per-use. For example, on Apple TV a Hulu plus subscription is $8 dollars a month, and renting an HD movie is $3.99. If you have a Netflix account, you pay nothing but are able to stream content directly to the TV instead of a notebook.

Many of the services they offer are/aren't available in other devices, so be sure to think about what you want first. For example, I have YouTube available to stream via my Sony HDTV, my FiOS set-top box, all of my iOS devices, Apple TV, and my notebook. But Roku doesn't offer YouTube.

I went with Apple TV because of the integration with my iOS devices and my iTunes music collection. The other content like Hulu and YouTube is great, but for the most part Apple TV is the easiest way to get my 20,000 song iTunes collection onto my HDTV and thus the best audio system in my house. Beyond that, all of the movies and TV shows I bought can be streamed from the cloud so I don't need to store them on the laptop either. When we go on vacation, I will bring my Apple TV with me and then be able to stream all of my media to the HDTV in the hotel, and renting movies off of Apple TV is significantly cheaper than doing it off the hotel system.

SAR I

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    You guys are awesome. Thanks for all of the information SAR (I don't care what these d... heads around here say about you, I think you're great). I have android stuff but my wife and kids have apple and I also have an IPOD, so it prolly makes sense to go with Apple.

Has anyone tried the mlb internet TV subscription? I am also along suffering SF Giants fan (since 65) so the last 3 years it has been pretty pricey getting the MLB cable package. I also travel quite a bit for work so the internet streaming option sounds like a good deal to be able to watch games at hotels etc.

Again, thanks for the information and advice!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BigEthel View Post
    I have a Vizio TV that I bought a few years ago that has the wireless adapter built into it and comes with a menu that includes Netflix, Hulu, YouTube and much more . For 7.99 a month we watch all kinds of stuff on Netflix and now just go with the basic cable package.

I have over 100K songs (wife's a DJ) but found I like Pandora better and play music where ever I go using a IPOD and speaker dock both for $200 at Woot.com (have to wait till they show up there).

Technology is great.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    I use prime. Lots of free, mostly older stuff though. Well worth it for the free 2 day shipping on stuff you buy off Amazon if you do lots of internet shopping as I do.

But what do these boxes like Roku do that you can do with any xbox or ps3? I have a few ps3s and I can stream anything from either of my pcs or internet (plus Netflix, Hulu plus, etc.) to the tv it's connected to via the ps3's hdmi. What would another box do that it can't?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ok... Roku If I buy the unit for $70 And I don't want to spend any kind of monthly subscription, how many and what all the quality of the channels that I can get any ideas

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Because it seems stupid to spend 50 bucks on the unit then eight dollars on Netflix then 25 on this and then 30 on this and then it bucks a month on that it never ends and it all adds up

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a Mac, so I really like Apple Tv. Its great when I stream a Jets game semi-legally and want to watch it on the TV.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    ROKU is all about the one-stop search. I've tried it and the search method is that good. The person I know got it to save on cable so I guess there is value in it but you can forget about sports premium channel's...

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetman67 View Post
    I have a Mac, so I really like Apple Tv. Its great when I stream a Jets game semi-legally and want to watch it on the TV.
    That's the route I will probably take as I can get my ipod music etc too via cloud.

Hey John, I may be heading your way in April for a conference. If I do, I'll give you a shout a week or so prior. I'll buy you a turkey leg!!!

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Apple today released an update for Apple TV with many significant features none more anticipated than Bluetooth peripheral support. So if you've got the Bluetooth keyboard for the iMac or the iPad it's now easier than ever to search for content on the HDTV.

SAR I