Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Jets GM Idzik, coach Ryan begin to bond on scouting trip

  1. #1

    Jets GM Idzik, coach Ryan begin to bond on scouting trip

    Many fans here have Idzik firing Rex...no matter what transpires over the 2013 season. From Idzik's point of view...is that really what's going to happen? Of course we'll have to wait and see.

    But for now...the bonding process begins between these two most important individuals...whose Jets fortunes are in their hands...

    http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/...GQuHFEb13hlBPJ


    FAIRHOPE, Ala. — The rebuilding of the Jets began here — at a tiny high school football stadium in the suburbs of Mobile.

    Head coach Rex Ryan and new general manager John Idzik spent their first day on the job together yesterday, watching college players practice for Saturday’s Senior Bowl. It was an unlikely setting at Fairhope Stadium with a wooden pirate ship in the corner of the field and concrete bleachers.

    The Jets are not making Ryan or Idzik available to the media until Thursday’s press conference, but both men chatted informally with reporters and had big smiles as they sat in the stands for the practice to view the entire field.

    Ryan and Idzik do not know each other at all, so this week is like a first date. They met for the first time last Wednesday when Idzik had his second interview with the Jets. The two sat down to discuss football philosophy and learn a little about each other. Idzik officially got the job on Friday.

    The former Seahawks executive did not have any Jets clothing yet, in contrast to Ryan, who wore a Titans throwback sweatshirt. The duo spent the two-hour practice talking and joking at times. They will have plenty of time over the next three days here to get to know each other. They will interview the college players, have meetings and watch about five practices together.

    The Jets’ contingent at practice consisted of Ryan, Idzik, assistant general manager Scott Cohen, director of football administration Ari Nissim, director of pro personnel Brendan Prophett and a number of scouts. It appears Idzik has not made any changes to the front office yet.

    The decision to hire Idzik is a popular one with many people in league circles. Agents who negotiated contracts with him when he was with the Cardinals and Seahawks spoke very highly of him.

    “It’s a great hire,” one agent said. “He’s smart. He’s a really good guy. He has the perfect combination of what they need — he’s good with the cap, but he also has personnel experience.”

    That is the one question people around the league bring up with Idzik: Just how much personnel experience does he truly have? Those who defend him point to his time in the personnel department with the Buccaneers in the 1990s and early 2000s. His detractors say that was low-level work and he is really just a salary-cap expert who dabbled in some scouting.

    “I was surprised they went with someone so similar to Mike [Tannenbaum],” a league executive said. “The talk had been that they were going to hire a personnel guy. But they hired a numbers guy with this much [holding fingers slightly apart] personnel experience.”

    One thing nearly everyone agrees on is how big a challenge Idzik faces turning the Jets around after a 6-10 season with major questions at quarterback and a bad salary-cap situation.

    “He’ll fix things there,” an agent said. “It may take three or four years, though.”

  2. #2
    Well they definitely need a good working relationship. I think it's a fair question whether or not Idzik would move on from Rex with another 6-10 type season. Would have to see how the season actually plays out before speculating on that. Not all bad records are created equal and if the roster has a rebuild feel to it (rookie QB, lot sof vets cut, etc.) he might keep Rex on even after a bad season if he believes in the guy as a coach.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Well they definitely need a good working relationship. I think it's a fair question whether or not Idzik would move on from Rex with another 6-10 type season. Would have to see how the season actually plays out before speculating on that. Not all bad records are created equal and if the roster has a rebuild feel to it (rookie QB, lot sof vets cut, etc.) he might keep Rex on even after a bad season if he believes in the guy as a coach.
    Agree...Rex isn't automatically one and done with Idzik.

    And I can't wait until tomorrow's presser, to start getting a feel for Idzik, and what his vision and blueprint is going to be for our NYJ.

  4. #4
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    20,290
    I think everyone wants Rex and Idzik to have a good working relationship and to be on the same page.

    The question remains whether or not Idzik will become a pushover for Rex. It appears that there will be a lot of the same faces in that war room. For better or worse.

    As long as Idzik has the power to decide whether or not he wants to keep Rex I am OK.

  5. #5
    SERIOUSLY REX? THROW OUT THE TITANS GEAR ALREADY!

    What a great start. Meets his new GM wearing completely different colors, logo, and name. What a moron. And I'm usually not the biggest anti rex person.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I think everyone wants Rex and Idzik to have a good working relationship and to be on the same page.

    The question remains whether or not Idzik will become a pushover for Rex. It appears that there will be a lot of the same faces in that war room. For better or worse.

    As long as Idzik has the power to decide whether or not he wants to keep Rex I am OK.
    That's the attitude that NYJ fans should have. Let the smartest guy in the room...Idzik...be the one to decide if Rex and the CS stays or goes. Of course the players and their performances will go a long ways in helping Idzik with that decision.

    Right now...I like Mornhinweg and Lee working with the QBs, and tailoring a hybrid WCO/read option attack. It should be a more QB friendly system. In all honesty...I do hope Jets get another veteran QB in here. Cause I no longer have any confidence that you can turn Sanchez' performances around that easily...by simply installing another system.

    The personnel-scouting staffs may change for 2014. I think this is going to be a year of assessing the performances of these departments. Then Idzik will either tweak or dramatically change them after the 2013 season ends.

  7. #7
    Rex's future lies with the OC/qb.. If the new OC comes in here and does well, with what he has right now.. WOW great job! Finally a good OC.. We know rex cant carry the OC like he can easily carry a DC.. The past two OC's needed to be carried.. Ofcourse its impossible to blame the OC for the O struggles if you have a terrible qb like we did last year..

    If whoever the qb is can do ok, and the offense shows some life for once Rex stays.. Since we would have a OC who Rex wont need to worry about Fing up for once.. Will continue to have a strong D with Rex.. im glad MT isnt here to F this team up anymore.. Ofcourse he left huge dumps on the field that will still be stinking up Jet air long after his departure because of his reckless mistakes..

  8. #8
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Raleigh, N.C.
    Posts
    2,411
    playoffs or a damn good year or it will be darrell bevell in 2014 (or jon gruden)

  9. #9
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    20,290
    Quote Originally Posted by southernjet View Post
    playoffs or a damn good year or it will be darrell bevell in 2014 (or jon gruden)
    Someone got a pardon.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    SERIOUSLY REX? THROW OUT THE TITANS GEAR ALREADY!

    What a great start. Meets his new GM wearing completely different colors, logo, and name. What a moron. And I'm usually not the biggest anti rex person.

  11. #11
    Schluberator & Gadfly ®
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    26,589
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenReaper View Post

    Ryan and Idzik do not know each other at all, so this week is like a first date. [/B]
    I wonder what footwear did Idzik have on?

    Something open toed I bet.

  12. #12
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Raleigh, N.C.
    Posts
    2,411
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Someone got a pardon.
    LOL

    Walked in backwards like in the movie theater,,,

  13. #13
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Forked River, NJ
    Posts
    4,731
    Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    SERIOUSLY REX? THROW OUT THE TITANS GEAR ALREADY!

    What a great start. Meets his new GM wearing completely different colors, logo, and name. What a moron. And I'm usually not the biggest anti rex person.
    So what? Lighten up.

  14. #14
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    2,515
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenReaper View Post
    That's the attitude that NYJ fans should have. Let the smartest guy in the room...Idzik...be the one to decide if Rex and the CS stays or goes. Of course the players and their performances will go a long ways in helping Idzik with that decision.

    Right now...I like Mornhinweg and Lee working with the QBs, and tailoring a hybrid WCO/read option attack. It should be a more QB friendly system. In all honesty...I do hope Jets get another veteran QB in here. Cause I no longer have any confidence that you can turn Sanchez' performances around that easily...by simply installing another system.

    The personnel-scouting staffs may change for 2014. I think this is going to be a year of assessing the performances of these departments. Then Idzik will either tweak or dramatically change them after the 2013 season ends.
    solid thoughts reaper. Just 1 more thing. At this late date there is little they can or should do to disrupt the flow of information from the scouting department turnover could kill them during the draft as scouts and personal have been compiling reports over the last several years on players and not just now at the Sr. Bowl.

    Also, while we all wanted a completely new FO after our disastrous seaspn; cooler heads could easily see that Ryan is a good HC and cases could be made that sparring injuries to it's best player on offense (skill pos) and defense they could have easily become 8-8 where the press and fans wouldn't after his neck like they are now.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    SERIOUSLY REX? THROW OUT THE TITANS GEAR ALREADY!

    What a great start. Meets his new GM wearing completely different colors, logo, and name. What a moron. And I'm usually not the biggest anti rex person.
    Wow, settle your jimmies. He's wearing Jets gear, so what's the issue?

  16. #16
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    8,119
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Wow, settle your jimmies. He's wearing Jets gear, so what's the issue?
    It's not Jets gear. It's Titans, and it's the wrong color, and a different logo, and omg I'm so angry

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    It's not Jets gear. It's Titans, and it's the wrong color, and a different logo, and omg I'm so angry
    lol

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us