Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Conor Orr: The Marty Mornhinweg system: How the new Jets coordinator runs his offense

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    he was a bad oc that is why he is not going along with andy in his new gig-he could not figure out the easiest of things-give mccoy the ball over 20 times and you win-he has to be an upgrade over Soprano but he is not anything to get too excited about

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Excellent, now, where do we get a Qb who can do these things?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    For this to be successful, Sanchez needs to be gone and someone else under center.Period.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    For this to be successful, Sanchez needs to be gone and someone else under center.Period.
    Hai. Oui. Si. Ja. Ken. Ndiyo. Hanji. Igen. Da. Tak. Aye.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm going contrarian here.

If (big if) this system can get Mark's completion rate over 60%, and he can start playing like he did in those postseason games, even using his legs a bit more, then I'd welcome that Mark back. I think there is a chance that Sanchez is redeemable and could be a good (NFL average at least) QB. Would I bet big money on it? Not right now. But I wouldn't bet big against it either until I see how he does at the start of next season, hopefully with some better tools to work with.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Excellent, now, where do we get a Qb who can do these things?
    I'm hardly going to say this is all going to work out great, but 20-yr-old kids run near-WCO in college with players coming and going. That was also the style Mark played in at USC. Point being - it doesn't take Joe Montana to run a WCO.

Will Mark be able to do it? Dunno. Can he do it? Probably. I'll say this - given one year to go, I'd much rather see him take a shot at this than keep on doing what we were doing . . .

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Someone that gets it...Add to that Mornhinweg has a history of successfully developing QBs.
    This. No matter who we got I wanted someone with a history developing qbs.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    But that's just it: there is no easy answer here.

We don't have a Top 5 pick in the draft. There is no Andrew Luck this year. It's not even an elite crop of QBs. A rookie QB coming into a WCO - I don't think that's going to work out so well either.

And the FA cupboard - jeesh - it doesn't make me so excited. Matt Moore tops the list I suppose . . . Aside from speculative noise like Matt Flynn.

Whether people like it or not - a realistically good 2013 would be for Mark to get back on track and draft a QB in 2/3 who can learn/watch for a year and graduate to being the Jets next starter.

I'd be very happy to fall into a Russell Wilson situation, but I am not holding my breath.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lets assume the Jets do play a lot of two back formations who are the backs? Bilal and Joe? I like Joe but I don't see him suddenly running chips on LB's. I said it before Reggie Bush should've been a priority when he became available but Mike did nothing. I will say that was one of Mike's errors as a GM. Bush would be a solid quick solution to the offense..

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nycdan View Post
    I'm going contrarian here.

If (big if) this system can get Mark's completion rate over 60%, and he can start playing like he did in those postseason games, even using his legs a bit more, then I'd welcome that Mark back. I think there is a chance that Sanchez is redeemable and could be a good (NFL average at least) QB. Would I bet big money on it? Not right now. But I wouldn't bet big against it either until I see how he does at the start of next season, hopefully with some better tools to work with.
    Three years ago I know Sanchez would do as you imply here; I do!!!

Sanchez despite what people say now was a sound QB coming out of college his decision making and mechanics were OUTSTANDING!!!!

But Now...... After years of Jets "coaching" I think he might be able to get better but maybe not in here NY.

I hope I am wrong but I just feel that this is what I see.

I just

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by adpz View Post
    I'm hardly going to say this is all going to work out great, but 20-yr-old kids run near-WCO in college with players coming and going. That was also the style Mark played in at USC. Point being - it doesn't take Joe Montana to run a WCO.

Will Mark be able to do it? Dunno. Can he do it? Probably. I'll say this - given one year to go, I'd much rather see him take a shot at this than keep on doing what we were doing . . .
    This is why the Jets should have done this from the BEGINING!!!!

You build around the skill sets of a QB that you draft that highly!!! You craft an offense around his skills not around your own myopic vision of an offense when you by youir OWN admission are clueless about offense!!

Lets be real where the Jets find themselves wasn't unforseeable!!!! Forget the scores of posters out here; QBs like Steve Young, Dillfer, Simms etc all said that this could happan under Rex's model.....

I am just glad the Jets are trying to change it now but I am still disgusted that they hired a HC who didn't understand this from the begining of his tenure!!!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Totally agree with taking shots down the field.

Herm used to say this, tho I am not sure his coordinator put it to practice. Phil Simms says it alot as well. Launch the dam ball down the field. Whats the worst case scenario? Well, an interception that gets run back for a touchdown. Statistically tho, I believe most long pass plays that do get picked off dont get run back very far, if at all. So whats the result? Aside from a qb with a pick on his stat sheet, as far as the game and field position goes, it amounts to a punt.

Next worse outcome? Incomplete pass.

Next worst is incomplete with pass interference and an auto first down.

Next worst is a completion.

Next worst is a completion with a score.

Two bad outcomes, and three good outcomes... and one of those bad ones (the incompleted pass) is the same as running the ball for no gain. Play the numbers and you will often get a pass interference call.

Sounds like Marty is a qualified guy. I hope he doesnt get TOO pass happy, like I hope Rex doesnt get TOO blitz happy. Def need to incorporate the long ball more often, and Sanchez can def use someone that has some clues of how things should go and has done it before himself.

He wont have to earn alot of respect on the offensive side of the ball. Kinda hope he gets in some of these guys asses a bit. This nice coach stuff is good and all, but players need to know they will get scolded for uckfing up on the field.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Good point Beer.

Stratigically, that is a very sound offense for today's NFL.

However, that entire offense is predicated on pre-snap reads, quick decision making and accurate throws.

It is not a good offense for the Jets current QB's on the roster.
    Actually, it sounds good for McElroy.

At the end of the day, if there are no good receivers, average running backs, and an average line with a poor QB, what system will work>

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Hai. Oui. Si. Ja. Ken. Ndiyo. Hanji. Igen. Da. Tak. Aye.
    Did you just have a seizure?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    Good read, thanks.

I found this part bizarre

Doesn't every system have a designed check down on pass plays?
    First off - love the name!!!

Not every pass play has a check-down or outlet. Check-downs most often refer to RB/TE assignments. On any given pass play, the RB or TE can block, run a route or both. Protection calls dictate when the RB/TE is required to block or if they can release into a route. This is usually contingent on the defense they are facing. If they anticipate a blitz or see an overload/stacked front, the RB/TE will probably assist with protection. This can be overridden by the QB who may pick up on something and still call for the TE/RB to release.

Check downs are often confused with a QBís progression. This is where the QB has specific order to read each receiver on a pass play. The routes are often designed to progress so that windows open in a specific order and generally progress short to deep or deep to medium. These can also vary based on the defense. The more WRs used in routes, the less protection/outlets are available for the QB.

I know itís a little technical, but I hope that helps.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    Did you just have a seizure?
    LOL. Just effusive in my affirmation of the need for Sanchez and Tebow to be gone. But, thinking about it, maybe I did.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJam Football View Post
    Sounds all nice a cuddly. I bet Tony Sparano had a plan also. But seriously I hope he does improve our offense. Any system is better than what Sparano ran!
    What was his plan? I'm pretty sure we've not had a plan around here for a long time. Nobody says that's the way he does it, because these guys we've had never did it. They were just winging it. No plan. No development. Just wrist bands, and colors.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    LOL at everyone's wishful thinking that Sanchez will have a good year here under MM, if he's even here at all. Keep dreaming. He's done here. He doesn't have the juevos.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rhyan66 View Post
    First off - love the name!!!

Not every pass play has a check-down or outlet. Check-downs most often refer to RB/TE assignments. On any given pass play, the RB or TE can block, run a route or both. Protection calls dictate when the RB/TE is required to block or if they can release into a route. This is usually contingent on the defense they are facing. If they anticipate a blitz or see an overload/stacked front, the RB/TE will probably assist with protection. This can be overridden by the QB who may pick up on something and still call for the TE/RB to release.

Check downs are often confused with a QBís progression. This is where the QB has specific order to read each receiver on a pass play. The routes are often designed to progress so that windows open in a specific order and generally progress short to deep or deep to medium. These can also vary based on the defense. The more WRs used in routes, the less protection/outlets are available for the QB.

I know itís a little technical, but I hope that helps.
    A lot of plays have only one read. Shotty designed plays like that all the time, and so did Sporano. Especially before Santonio got hurt. A lot of the plays were designed specifically to get him the ball, and if it didn't work throw it away, or take a sack. It'll be nice to have a coach running a proven system that he knows works. You don't have time to waste with experiments when you're developing young QBs. It must be hard for a young player to be taught by an OC that's not sure how to go about it.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    LOL at everyone's wishful thinking that Sanchez will have a good year here under MM, if he's even here at all. Keep dreaming. He's done here. He doesn't have the juevos.
    I don't think there's many people that think that. I do think he might be a whole different player if he was developed in a system like this, or any system really. It's kind of tough to undevelop a player though so I think he's beyond hope at this point.