Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Conor Orr: The Marty Mornhinweg system: How the new Jets coordinator runs his offense

Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    It is going to be an exciting Offense that I can't wait to see. We'll know a lot by the FA and draftees.
    Unfortunately, Mark Sanchez will end up being our QB next season.

In the words of Larry David : "Curb Your Enthusiasm".

Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    I don't think there's many people that think that. I do think he might be a whole different player if he was developed in a system like this, or any system really. It's kind of tough to undevelop a player though so I think he's beyond hope at this point.
    Wasn't Alex Smith by Harbaugh/Knapp?

Jets Insider VIP
    I sure hope we open on the road against a crap team if snachez is gonna be the starter

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Wasn't Alex Smith by Harbaugh/Knapp?
    Stranger things have happened but isn't Smith on the bench? I think it might be easier to start over. He'll get one more chance thanks to Tanny. Just one more thing left to remember him by. I just think someone will beat him out in training camp. Hell, I hope he does turn it around, but he sure looks like a beaten man/kid at this point. He wasn't mad when he got benched. He seemed relived.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by barkus View Post
    That is the issue with suckchez, from the neck down he has the attributes to be a solid qb, maybe even a very good qb. Mentally and mechanically he is a mess. Can he be fixed?!?!?
    i am willing to give him a try in this system in we can't bring in moore or draft a nassib to challenge him and tebow is def gone.

the problem i have is he doesn't seem to be a leader on the field like he needs to be...........he certainly doesn't think he can put vets in their place ie holmes.

truth be told i don't think he ever was good unless he had top talent all around him even his days at usc before bama's defense the last two years was considered one of the best ever oh and he had some guy named reggie bush in the backfield and a top oline.

it just seems to me unless you give him a pro-bowl team he can not lead that is not a franchise qb that is the trent dilfer's of the qb world.

Hall Of Fame
    Stranger things have happened but isn't Smith on the bench? I think it might be easier to start over. He'll get one more chance thanks to Tanny. Just one more thing left to remember him by. I just think someone will beat him out in training camp. Hell, I hope he does turn it around, but he sure looks like a beaten man/kid at this point. He wasn't mad when he got benched. He seemed relived.
    Smith was never as bad as Sanchez was. He did have a bad completion % in 2007. And he only started 16 games twice.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    I honestly wish with all my heart that Sanchez had been introduced into this system from the very begining!!!! I truly think he would be fine now...

Unfortunately I am really concerned about Sanchez's mental appraoch to the game as it now stands.

The real question is can Sanchez overcome what I see as his mental blocks going forward now?

I am just not confident that he can and it is a shame really.....
    Chuck, couldn't have said it better myself. I think you and I were some of the last to climb off the Sanchez bandwagon, but at this point I think he's damaged goods.

Quote Originally Posted by ucrenegade View Post
    i am willing to give him a try in this system in we can't bring in moore or draft a nassib to challenge him and tebow is def gone.

the problem i have is he doesn't seem to be a leader on the field like he needs to be...........he certainly doesn't think he can put vets in their place ie holmes.

truth be told i don't think he ever was good unless he had top talent all around him even his days at usc before bama's defense the last two years was considered one of the best ever oh and he had some guy named reggie bush in the backfield and a top oline.

it just seems to me unless you give him a pro-bowl team he can not lead that is not a franchise qb that is the trent dilfer's of the qb world.
    Why? Please tell me why. Sanchez is NOT a skilled QB, he is in the bottom 3 of all starting QBs and clearly less skilled than many backups yet people want to give him another shot. Why, why why why why? I just don't get it. Jets MUST MOVE ON

Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    Why? Please tell me why. Sanchez is NOT a skilled QB, he is in the bottom 3 of all starting QBs and clearly less skilled than many backups yet people want to give him another shot. Why, why why why why? I just don't get it. Jets MUST MOVE ON
    Stats only tell part of the picture, comparing him to other NFL QB's is moot.
    In your mind 29 starting QB's are better , what would those QB's stats have looked like with the offensive atrocity we rolled on the field last year , not to mention a staunch desire for a system of G&P that this team was in no way suited to run.

He was average to good his first two seasons when Rex had the pieces to run G&P, he had a mediocre 2011 and a very bad 2012 but look at the circumstances don't just be myopic and focus on the single player. Sanchez in his 4 years here has yet to have an offense suited to his skills instead he's been forced into systems that have stunted his growth.

If you want to say he's been horrible in this offense , I'll agree wholheartedly, but I disagree when you say he's not skilled.

sounds like mornigweg may be just what the jets need to get this offense going. could even be a reason to give sanchez another chance. in truth the jets receivers were too green to be really good. kerley and hill both show some really good potential. get holmes to get his head out of his butt and the receiver corp could be set. they need the oline resolved. can ducasse come in at guard for moore or slauson? if so then the jets can draft a guard and right tackle and or re sign moore for cheap. that gives them a draft pick for a te and/or maybe re sining keller. add a decent qb to challenge and things could be pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Smith was never as bad as Sanchez was. He did have a bad completion % in 2007. And he only started 16 games twice.

The first 3 years are actually very bad. He hurt his shoulder during the '08 preseason and missed the entire year (which I don't even remember happening). That year off seemed to really help him, as he returned from injury as a perfectly pedestrian quarterback.

Then Harbaugh came along and raised/elevated his level of play. Speaking of Harbaugh, I've read that the passing game they ran in 2011 consisted almost entirely of primary receiver and checkdown, occasionally adding a secondary receiver between the two.

If the primary wasn't there and he couldn't check it down, Smith was supposed to throw it away or try to get a few yards with his feet. The design of the offense dramatically decreased his turnovers with the tradeoff of an equally dramatic increase in sacks.
    Last edited by JB1089; 01-23-2013 at 07:53 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    Then Harbaugh came along and raised his elevated his level of play. Speaking of Harbaugh, I've read that the passing game they ran in 2011 consisted almost entirely of primary receiver and checkdown, occasionally adding a secondary receiver between the two.

If the primary wasn't there and he couldn't check it down, Smith was supposed to throw it away or try to get a few yards with his feet. The design of the offense dramatically decreased his turnovers with the tradeoff of an equally dramatic increase in sacks.
    I could believe that. And most of their deep throws were only to Davis. What made that simple passing attack effective was their running game.

I kind of feel bad for him b.c it seemed like the 49ers were starting to expand their offense with him early in the season and he was doing a very good job. It will be interesting to see how he does without Harbaugh next year. Whatever team he ends up with will definitely not be as good as the 49ers.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by ucrenegade View Post

I don't understand how this idea got started. He has plenty of talent to be a very good QB. That's why he's still on the team. It drives you crazy that you know he can have great games, but he never puts two together. He should have beaten NE this year. His problem his that he's streaky...well he was streaky, now he's obviously lost his confidence so it wasn't even fair to put him out there, but he did flash greatness many times in the past. It's his head that's his problem. Think about it. He was much better in his second year than he is now. If they just let him make mistakes, but keep improving he would have been okay. They couldn't live with the mistakes so they coached the player out of him. He was a gunslinger, not a game manager. He could never be a game manager. I think he could be saved, but I think it would take years of undoing what's been done, and I don't think anyone is going to risk their career on him at this point, but it could happen.

He is on the bench because of a concession and sitting now while completing 70% of his passes...Harbaugh gambled with Kapernick and it's paid off, big time! But that's not to slight what Smith has done since good coaching has come aboard in SF.

He also played well last season after Harbaugh/Knapp developed him and put an offense in place to help him succeed

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

The Marty Mornhinweg system: How the new Jets coordinator runs his offense

Conor Orr/The Star-Ledger
    Published: Jan 23, 2013, 4:28 AM

What a great job by Conor Orr. That's how you cover a team. You do research, You do the leg work and you find the story. These other writers are just simply lazy or ignore the facts. They are more interested in speculative garbage than reporting the news or truly providing coverage of the team. Nice job Mr. Orr.

Quote Originally Posted by YJF View Post
    What a great job by Conor Orr. That's how you cover a team. You do research, You do the leg work and you find the story. These other writers are just simply lazy or ignore the facts. They are more interested in speculative garbage than reporting the news or truly providing coverage of the team. Nice job Mr. Orr.
    YJF, agree! The Star-Ledger beat reporters (Orr & Jenny Vrentas) are the best. They research and write informative articles. Not the TMZ stuff Manish, the Post and others "write".

Quote Originally Posted by YJF View Post
    I agree. Connor Orr's articles always seem to be well-researched, and I enjoy reading them. Great snag C-Mart!

All Pro
    YJF, agree! The Star-Ledger beat reporters (Orr & Jenny Vrentas) are the best. They research and write informative articles. Not the TMZ stuff Manish, the Post and others "write".
    Where was Manish before he moved to the Daily News?

Orr and Vrentas are good, but it's no coincidence that every beat reporter from the Star Ledger is good.

I am bumping this thread because I just read this article and it has me pumped. I think MM is the biggest off-season move and could save Ryan's career in NYC.

Consider from the article, MM's scheme has:
    • QB/WR friendly offense with easier progression and route timing process
    • Timed routes with easy check downs leading to higher completion percentage (Vick had career completion %'s under MM in Philly and a lower completion % than Sanchez while in Atlanta as proof)
    • 2-back sets relying on RBs/FBs that can actually catch the ball (FB Kory Schlessinger second on the team with 60 catches!). I anticipate an emphasis on RB during the draft while Greene is gone
    • Detroit was 1st in passing attempts and 6th in yards despite lack of offensive talent
    • Several deep shots per game, giving us homerun capability and the element of surprise to keep D's honest

I think we got pretty lucky that MM and David Lee chose to join the "circus" in NY. I think our offense will surprise

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJam Football View Post
    Sounds all nice a cuddly. I bet Tony Sparano had a plan also. But seriously I hope he does improve our offense. Any system is better than what Sparano ran!
    The recipe is terrific..... the main ingredient is suspect however.