Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dollar Shave Club: Too good to be true? No!

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by parkwayjet1 View Post
    I simply can't trust a barber to give me a shave. I'm sure they're good, but something about lying back in that chair and literally sticking my neck out so Vito can take a straight razor to it scares me no end. Oh, and I don't dig the hot towel scorching my face either!
    Lol! Around 9/11 I had started going to a new barber...he looked like a swarthier version of the soup Nazi and was not too friendly...not Italian..kind of undetermined origin.....but he was close and cheap.

I was so on edge and convinced everyone was a terrorist that I freaked out when he whipped out his razor the first time I went in after 9/11. He may as well have been Bin Laden. I begged out of the shave and never went back.

-

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Lol! Around 9/11 I had started going to a new barber...he looked like a swarthier version of the soup Nazi and was not too friendly...not Italian..kind of undetermined origin.....but he was close and cheap.

I was so on edge and convinced everyone was a terrorist that I freaked out when he whipped out his razor the first time I went in after 9/11. He may as well have been Bin Laden. I begged out of the shave and never went back.

-
    Does he work on men too?

Jets Insider VIP
    I simply can't trust a barber to give me a shave. I'm sure they're good, but something about lying back in that chair and literally sticking my neck out so Vito can take a straight razor to it scares me no end. Oh, and I don't dig the hot towel scorching my face either!
    I used to go in Brooklyn to the neighborhood barber. He was very friendly and the guy was from Italy and spoke with an accent ( his name was Luigi ). I never thought twice about getting a haircut and shave. Every two weeks or so.

However, I agree letting some Middle East type guy give me a shave would require me holding a gun or something.

Who the hell is paying for razors these days? Go to the barber. Get a shave.

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Images
    There's nothing like a real barber shave by an old school pro. Best shave you'll ever get.

Last time I got one was my wedding day. Took all my groomsmen there for a pre wedding shave.

Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    Who the hell is paying for razors these days? Go to the barber. Get a shave.
    Hope you enjoy HIV and Hep C.

Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Hope you enjoy HIV and Hep C.
    Do I look like Carlton?

Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    Do I look like Carlton?
    I thought he had PGAD (Persistent Genital Arousal Disorder/male version).

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I did get a shave from a barber once. In my 20s I thought it would be cool to grow a beard. Then after a year the coolness wore off and I decided that I'd get the beard professionally removed along with a haircut.

Turns out that a hot young woman was cutting my hair, and while this was going on I kept looking forward to her caressing my face as she applied the shaving cream and scalpel to my facial hair during the next phase of the operation. Only when it came time for the "facial", the hottie stepped aside and instead I got "Tony", the owner of the establishment, who was apparently the Shaving Maestro. Too bad - I wouldn't have minded a couple of nicks if the tonsorial tootsie had been left to her own devices.

I'm the only one that was probably laughing and getting all googly eyed over the dude. ^_^

Jets Insider VIP
    I did get a shave from a barber once. In my 20s I thought it would be cool to grow a beard. Then after a year the coolness wore off and I decided that I'd get the beard professionally removed along with a haircut.

Turns out that a hot young woman was cutting my hair, and while this was going on I kept looking forward to her caressing my face as she applied the shaving cream and scalpel to my facial hair during the next phase of the operation. Only when it came time for the "facial", the hottie stepped aside and instead I got "Tony", the owner of the establishment, who was apparently the Shaving Maestro. Too bad - I wouldn't have minded a couple of nicks if the tonsorial tootsie had been left to her own devices.
    My daughter knew someone at the school for hair dressers and facials. So she gets this bright idea to give my wife and I a gift of a free facial. It supposedly cost $75 or so. So I agree and said what the heck. We go to this place about 45 min away in Morristown NJ. When we walk in we give the gift certificates and the lady say it'll be 5 minutes, please take a seat. Well two students come out to give us our facials which takes about 45 minutes; however, one is this very gay guy named Orlando and this cute girl named Jennifer. Orlando was coming towards me and I almost had a heart attack on the spot. I couldn't speak, I was so choked up. So my wife saves me and and takes Orlando and I get Jen.

The facial was so relaxing and Jen was about 19 years old. I'd have paid a hundred dollars for to do it again . All kinds of oils and lotions etc and I was in heaven.

I think I might of died if I got Orland. I could never go back and take a chance.

Jets Insider VIP
    I love getting a good shave. I probably get about 6 a year. The hot towels and straight razor do such a great job. I find it very relaxing.

My wife got me a gift certificate to some very overpriced place in the city once and I thought it was one of the worst shaves I ever got. The girl who cuts my hair does a nice job.

My son just got his first shave by the barber about a week ago. Unlike me, he doesn't grow a thick beard yet so it probably lasted him a few days.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by The Boston Patriot View Post
    Does he work on men too?
    w t f

-

Quote Originally Posted by crossfire View Post
    I love getting a good shave. I probably get about 6 a year. The hot towels and straight razor do such a great job. I find it very relaxing.

My wife got me a gift certificate to some very overpriced place in the city once and I thought it was one of the worst shaves I ever got. The girl who cuts my hair does a nice job.

My son just got his first shave by the barber about a week ago. Unlike me, he doesn't grow a thick beard yet so it probably lasted him a few days.
    See, unless that straight edge was autoclaved between every shave, I'd be worried.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

See, unless that straight edge was autoclaved between every shave, I'd be worried.
    Don't worry. That 30-year-old blue sh:t in the 100 year-old never-washed fluted glass jar is a great sterilizer.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    However, I agree letting some Middle East type guy give me a shave would require me holding a gun or something.
    The reason I ended up with Achmed, was because the two boistrous older Italian guys in their late 60's who I used to go to, lost their shop to their bookie.

Previously when I was in there, invariably at some point, some middle aged chooch with a newspaper would come in and both Mario and Angelo would stop what they were doing, go over to this guy and place bets a/o order lottery tix (full service bookie).
    He'd insult them in Italian, they'd laugh... and he'd leave.

Then, Mario would go back to cutting my hair and watching the Jerry SPringer show over my head whispering "looka da teetsa, oh da teetsa" as he ogled some milf's boobz bouncing around the stage on the TV.

For some reason,This was actually all very charming to me.

Anyhoo, after years of this, I come in one day and the shop is stone quiet. TV off, no one waiting for a haircut...and the bookie is sitting at the cash register reading the racing form.

I sit down for my haircut and Mario says nothing the whole time. He finishes and when I go to pay him, he tells me "paya heema" mumbling under his breath... gesturing towards the bookie at the register.

DIng! I realize these two dopes were in deep with this guy, who was ensuring prompt payment by manning the register.

Next time I went back, there were two zipperhead guido's with tweezed eyebrows in their 20's cutting hair... and rap music was blasting. Mario and Angelo's family photos were gone.

-

-

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    The reason I ended up with Achmed, was because the two boistrous older Italian guys in their late 60's who I used to go to, lost their shop to their bookie.

Previously when I was in there, invariably at some point, some middle aged chooch with a newspaper would come in and both Mario and Angelo would stop what they were doing, go over to this guy and place bets a/o order lottery tix (full service bookie).
    He'd insult them in Italian, they'd laugh... and he'd leave.

Then, Mario would go back to cutting my hair and watching the Jerry SPringer show over my head whispering "looka da teetsa, oh da teetsa" as he ogled some milf's boobz bouncing around the stage on the TV.

For some reason,This was actually all very charming to me.

Anyhoo, after years of this, I come in one day and the shop is stone quiet. TV off, no one waiting for a haircut...and the bookie is sitting at the cash register reading the racing form.

I sit down for my haircut and Mario says nothing the whole time. He finishes and when I go to pay him, he tells me "paya heema" mumbling under his breath... gesturing towards the bookie at the register.

DIng! I realize these two dopes were in deep with this guy, who was ensuring prompt payment by manning the register.

Next time I went back, there were two zipperhead guido's with tweezed eyebrows in their 20's cutting hair... and rap music was blasting. Mario and Angelo's family photos were gone.

-

-
    Wow, good story.

I used to go to a bar in B'klyn called the Lane Tavern and something similar happened. I went in and there was this poker game going on that lasted all night. In the end the owner lost the bar and the guy who won it was a jerk.
    I stopped going.

Quote Originally Posted by shakin318 View Post
    Don't worry. That 30-year-old blue sh:t in the 100 year-old never-washed fluted glass jar is a great sterilizer.
    LOL. Meticulously maintained, as well, I'm sure.

Hall Of Fame
    LOL. Meticulously maintained, as well, I'm sure.
    not too much old man dandruff in there

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    not too much old man dandruff in there
    Oh, f**k! LOL! No doubt, a metric ton.