Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Mark Sanchez will be our #1 QB in 2013

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcoops View Post
    Sanchez is absolutely done as the Jets' starter, IMO. Idzik's uncomfortable body language during his welcome press conference when talking about Sanchez's future told me all I needed to know. Idzik is not a Sanchez believer and will bring in someone to replace him ASAP. Sanchez will likely be off the team by 2014 at the latest.
    Sanchez has regressed. He hesitates at the wrong time and has poor pocket maneuvering causing extra turnovers. He just seems to lose his poise at the wrong time. This is not what a leader does.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    +1 billion

Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Mark doesn't need "salvaging". Mark needs "support".

Playmakers Mark had earlier in his career:

Edwards,
    Holmes,
    Cotchery,
    Burress,
    Keller,
    Smith,
    Tomlinson,
    Richardson,
    Jones,
    Greene (young),
    Washington.

Replacement players this/last year:

Schillens,
    Hill,
    Kerley,
    McKnight,
    Connor,
    Gates,
    Hilliard,
    Reuland,
    Gilyard,
    Greene (old).

Find me one player that's a better one-for-one swap of the guy he replaced. Do it. You can't. We had the worst set of receiving targets in the NFL. It's hard to be a good QB when you have nothing to throw to.

Note that I did not list the OL fails.

Note that I did not list the Coordinator fail.

Note that I did not list the Tebow distraction.

SAR I

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sanchez should be cut, Rex should be fired, this team should do whatever is necessary to get Matt Moore or Jason Campbell in here to start this season. Eat the cap hit this year and blow up this terrible Roster.

Trade Revis and your first rounder this year at the draft for a team's first next year and a 2, or a 3 and 4 this year.

Locking up Revis for life is incredibly stupid considering that this team is going to need 3-4 years to turn it around. Holmes needs to come off the payroll before that happens.

I'm sick of all this optimism. Look at this roster. Compare it to San Francisco's. Compare it to the Patriots. Compare it to the Giants.

There's probably 3 guys on this team that anybody else would want: Mangold, Cro and possibly Revis. The rest of the roster can go rot outside of the young D-line.

Blow it up and give this new GM some leeway with being awful for a few years. Maybe then the stupid media hype machine will stop over-analyzing every breath of this team.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    this team should do whatever is necessary to get.....Jason Campbell in here to start this season.
    Like replacing Cancer with AIDS. Brilliant.

Look at this roster. Compare it to San Francisco's. Compare it to the Patriots. Compare it to the Giants.
    Switch one player, the QB, with any of those teams, and we're better.

Simple as that. We don't need to blow up anything. We need a better QB, running a better offensive system, with a few select new pieces to improve areas of weakness. "Blow it up" is a simpletons answer to a complicated situation.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    How about you pay attention to what's being said by your team and not what you read in discussion forums?

Rex Ryan, your beloved leader, thinks Mark Sanchez "gives us the best chance to win" and is a good quarterback.

Antonio Cromartie
    , your Pro Bowl DB, said "We have confidence in Mark. If he has good, veteran players around him -- ones that know how to practice and compete at a high level every day -- then you'll have a better quarterback. But when you don't have a supporting cast around him, you're going to get an average or below-average quarterback. That's what we got. He needs a better supporting cast."

Mike Westhoff
    , your Hall Of Fame coach, thinks Mark Sanchez is "a manageable quarterback" but multiple system and player personnel changes that the Jets endured following their back-to-back trips to the AFC Championship games were "too much for him."

Anonymous, a Jets starter, said Look at some of the players hes throwing to, its garbage. Ive seen better receiving corps in college than we have on our team.

No one liked Mark Sanchez this season. But there are reasons for his suckage. Discussion forum debate among ignorant fans is cute. Start listening to the players and coaches in the locker room.

SAR I
    Remember when Greg McElroy ignited the team against Arizona? Then he got the starting job but flopped against San Diego?

Mark Sanchez lost five games this season with a QB rating lower than what McElroy earned in the loss against San Diego. As bad as McElroy was in his very first NFL start, Mark Sanchez was much worse in 5 games with 3 years under his belt.

While there isn't much data to go on for the backup QBs, Sanchez comes up in last place among the three in completion %, passer rating and rushing avg (1.3yds - remember his "mobility"?). Same garbage players etc., but the other guys did better. Sanchez does manage 2nd place in passing avg. Woo hoo!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Like replacing Cancer with AIDS. Brilliant.

Switch one player, the QB, with any of those teams, and we're better.

Simple as that. We don't need to blow up anything. We need a better QB, running a better offensive system, with a few select new pieces to improve areas of weakness. "Blow it up" is a simpletons answer to a complicated situation.
    If you don't think Campbell is an upgrade over Sanchez you should stop posting about football.

There's nothing complicated about the situation:

Only the D-line, CB, and Center have anything remotely close to a decent talent level.

WR is full of crap. RB is AWFUL. And the entire Linebacking corps are bad simply because of the amount of money David Harris is making. There's not a single one of them that is above average. Harris included.

The roster is littered with overpaid players:

Brick
    Sanchez
    Holmes
    Harris
    Pouha

And now we're talking about retaining a CB coming off an ACL who refuses to have any connection to reality that CB'S DON'T WIN SUPER BOWLS. Then we factor in that our Head Coach has no understanding on how to have a successful offense whatsoever. Most of his decisions are predicated upon making his defense look good or look less bad. Nothing is based upon the offense being the most important part of a football team, AS IS REALITY.

GG

Count me back in the Same ole camp at this point. There's nothing to be excited about. They can't even admit to their fan base that they've royally screwed just about everything possible up. They've drafted poorly outside of the defensive line. Which ironically all the head coach seemingly understands.........

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    i think stephen hill single-handedly cost us at least two games. that NEW ENG game on the road, if he had caught that one wide open throw for a first down, we would have won that game. instead we lost in OT. who knows how the season would have changed with that win.

Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    That's because Stephen's hands were terrible at the start of the year. Towards the end of the year, though, his hands got better and he got some balls thrown his way.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you don't think Campbell is an upgrade over Sanchez you should stop posting about football.
    Right, exchange one failure JAG for another failure JAG, and all our problems will be solved?

Talk about acceptance of eternal mediocrity. Yay, we exchanged the worst QB of the past four years with one of the worst QB's of the past what, seven years?

Maybe, for once, we should be aiming a little higher than recycling the Moore's and Campbell's, the castoff journeyman JAG's, of the NFL, eh?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    I hope that is true and I agree with your read of his body language, but Rex has laready made comments about Sanchez and Morny... which makes me worried about Idzik being able to move away from him like we should.

Sanchez and Revis are two big tests for Idzik early, especially since Rex will want to keep Revis even if for just the one year, and seems to already be lobbying for Sanchez to be the starter again.
    Unfortunately, it's an interesting dynamic with Rex and Idzik because their goals for this season are not necessarily in alignment. Idzik's goal should be to start fixing the cap, bring in young new talent, and begin the process of building a consistent contender. Rex's goal is to win at least 9 games, make the playoffs, and save his job. It might be smarter and better long-term to trade Revis, but Rex would vehemently oppose it.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Right, exchange one failure JAG for another failure JAG, and all our problems will be solved?

Talk about acceptance of eternal mediocrity. Yay, we exchanged the worst QB of the past four years with one of the worst QB's of the past what, seven years?

Maybe, for once, we should be aiming a little higher than recycling the Moore's and Campbell's, the castoff journeyman JAG's, of the NFL, eh?
    We need to bring in someone else to play QB this season until we find our guy of the future in the draft. Whether that is Moore or Campbell, it just has to be someone. Nobody wants another season watching the worst QB in football be given chance after chance. No one is saying Moore or Campbell would be long-term. We just don't want to be subjected to another season of Sanchez.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    We need to bring in someone else to play QB this season until we find our guy of the future in the draft. Whether that is Moore or Campbell, it just has to be someone. Nobody wants another season watching the worst QB in football be given chance after chance. No one is saying Moore or Campbell would be long-term. We just don't want to be subjected to another season of Sanchez.
    Idzik is no dummy. hes watched the tape. He wont let sanchez take 1 single snap this year.

Starting Sanchez = 3-13 season, rex ryan fired and the #1 pick in the draft.

Wait a minute, thats it. Start Sanchez!

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    I don't disagree.

With that said, one JAG is often the same as another JAG. And Campbell is as JAGerific as they come, a multipe unwanted benched failure in this league.

If we're going to "bring in a guy" lets bring in a Draft Pick with legitimate potential. Not another Boomer-esque castoff from the trashheap of abandoned journeymen Quarterbacks.

As it is, I do not yet believe that Idzik will move Sanchez, and if we don't move Sanchez....whats the point. 2 Jags are not better than one Jag.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't disagree.

With that said, one JAG is often the same as another JAG. And Campbell is as JAGerific as they come, a multipe unwanted benched failure in this league.

If we're going to "bring in a guy" lets bring in a Draft Pick with legitimate potential. Not another Boomer-esque castoff from the trashheap of abandoned journeymen Quarterbacks.

As it is, I do not yet believe that Idzik will move Sanchez, and if we don't move Sanchez....whats the point. 2 Jags are not better than one Jag.
    You don't draft a guy this year with this incoming QB class and even let them sniff the field.

That's my point. And even if Campbell is a JAG, he's still a better backup than this team has had in YEARS. Dating back to Ray Lucas. Assuming Idzik can actually get this team a real QB prospect instead of another "Sanchez is there at 5, pick now!" and pretending another POS from USC will ever pan out in the NFL.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    You don't draft a guy this year with this incoming QB class and even let them sniff the field.

That's my point. And even if Campbell is a JAG, he's still a better backup than this team has had in YEARS. Dating back to Ray Lucas. Assuming Idzik can actually get this team a real QB prospect instead of another "Sanchez is there at 5, pick now!" and pretending another POS from USC will ever pan out in the NFL.
    Agree to disagree on Campbell. IMO he's a "plays sorta poorly for three games then gets hurt...again...." type player who would lose just as much (if not more) than the Sanchez we already are saddled with.

Moore, I could maybe get behind. Maybe. But not Campell.

Is Patrick Ramsey still in the league?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sanchez should be cut, Rex should be fired, this team should do whatever is necessary to get Matt Moore or Jason Campbell in here to start this season. Eat the cap hit this year and blow up this terrible Roster.

Trade Revis and your first rounder this year at the draft for a team's first next year and a 2, or a 3 and 4 this year.

Locking up Revis for life is incredibly stupid considering that this team is going to need 3-4 years to turn it around. Holmes needs to come off the payroll before that happens.

I'm sick of all this optimism. Look at this roster. Compare it to San Francisco's. Compare it to the Patriots. Compare it to the Giants.

There's probably 3 guys on this team that anybody else would want: Mangold, Cro and possibly Revis. The rest of the roster can go rot outside of the young D-line.

Blow it up and give this new GM some leeway with being awful for a few years. Maybe then the stupid media hype machine will stop over-analyzing every breath of this team.
    I argued two years ago that Jason Cambelll should have been brought in and was pillored out here so I definitely agree with your thinking

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't disagree.

Look, we know the options aren't good for free agent QBs. But just from a selfish perspective, I don't want to watch anymore football games like Jets-Cards or Jets-Titans. I can't do it anymore. With Sanchez playing, we'll get several of those. I get that Campbell could conceivably play as badly, but I'd prefer to let another guy try it. Just for sanity sake. Plus, he'll be cheap to sign, therefore it's feasible.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    I argued two years ago that Jason Cambelll should have been brought in and was pillored out here so I definitely agree with your thinking
    During the offseason of 2008 I NEVER wanted Sanchez. I always wanted them to trade for this guy. Washington was shopping him after allowing him a full (Gasp!) 2 years of average QB play. And average QB play is all that incredible defense and o-line would've needed in 2009 to win the Super Bowl.

If they make that trade then this team wins the Super Bowl in 2009. I have no qualms saying that.

Instead of Sanchez you get the big, physical, game-manager type QB you wanted and Washington is stuck with Buttchez.

Then that team is likely good for 10 wins without a defense that is required to play perfect every single down and Thomas Jones could be somewhat healthy by the end of the year. Meaning no DOA when Greene gets hurt in the Colts game.
    Last edited by PMarsico9; 01-28-2013 at 02:40 PM.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am with SAR in the 2% of folks that dont blame Sanchez and accept reality and relevance as a Jet fan. I think there is a lot in play here. Most Jet fans (just the nature of NY sports), like Stephen A Smith have an approach of "what have you done for me lately", and if you have failed, time to move forward with somebody else. Remeber Giant fans wanted Eli's head in year 4 right before he caught lightning in a bottle and went on a SB run.

If you have been a long-sufferring Jet fan with crap QB play between the 80s/90s (exception of 1998 with Vinny), then you welcomed in the relevance of Pennington - I certainly did with open arms. I also hated Tanny for cutting him and bringing in Favre. Then you see Sanchez come in and get us to within 30 mins of a SB, twice in two straight years. I welcome that relevance. Ok yes, he then had 8-8 and 6-10 seasons with absolute crap on his team, thanks to Tanny turning all of our playmakers away.

Nevermind the QB ratings, I care about wins. He was never going to be Brady or Manning, good luck finding that, it doesnt happen easily. The NFL fan has changed from back i the 80s and 90s of being a decent QB and having a long leash - i blame that on fantasy football. Now everyone wants Brady, Manning or Rodgers, or else you burn him at the stake. Needs to put up unreal stats or else! Ok good luck finding a better alternative. "Matt Flynn rules!" - um, one game? Id rather have a guy who can get us to 30 mins of a SB.

Jet management is totally to blame for Sanchez' demise, and it ends there. No help or support whatsoever. Remember Sanchez was king of the world and 3-0 as a Jet with Cotchery, Clowney and Stuckey before the Braylon trade. Jet management kept tweaking and tweaking and turning and churning - no chemistry built to help this kid play to his strengths. Brad Smith, Leon Washington and Cotchery were 3 of our biggest playmakers and we dumped them all, and bring in Tebow and Plax and Mason and Schillens, and more garbage.

Heres to appreciating relevance and being optimistic about Sanchez in 2013, I think if we are smart this offseason, we help surround him and resurrect his career.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    It would stand to reason if he was a good QB at least one of those WRs wouldn't look better without him. The only one that don't look better are the ones that have never really played under anyone else. Sanchez is the worst player on this team by a ton. If he is even on this team next year he will be #3 on the depth.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetItalia View Post
    I am with SAR in the 2% of folks that dont blame Sanchez and accept reality and relevance as a Jet fan. I think there is a lot in play here. Most Jet fans (just the nature of NY sports), like Stephen A Smith have an approach of "what have you done for me lately", and if you have failed, time to move forward with somebody else. Remeber Giant fans wanted Eli's head in year 4 right before he caught lightning in a bottle and went on a SB run.

If you have been a long-sufferring Jet fan with crap QB play between the 80s/90s (exception of 1998 with Vinny), then you welcomed in the relevance of Pennington - I certainly did with open arms. I also hated Tanny for cutting him and bringing in Favre. Then you see Sanchez come in and get us to within 30 mins of a SB, twice in two straight years. I welcome that relevance. Ok yes, he then had 8-8 and 6-10 seasons with absolute crap on his team, thanks to Tanny turning all of our playmakers away.

Nevermind the QB ratings, I care about wins. He was never going to be Brady or Manning, good luck finding that, it doesnt happen easily. The NFL fan has changed from back i the 80s and 90s of being a decent QB and having a long leash - i blame that on fantasy football. Now everyone wants Brady, Manning or Rodgers, or else you burn him at the stake. Needs to put up unreal stats or else! Ok good luck finding a better alternative. "Matt Flynn rules!" - um, one game? Id rather have a guy who can get us to 30 mins of a SB.

Jet management is totally to blame for Sanchez' demise, and it ends there. No help or support whatsoever. Remember Sanchez was king of the world and 3-0 as a Jet with Cotchery, Clowney and Stuckey before the Braylon trade. Jet management kept tweaking and tweaking and turning and churning - no chemistry built to help this kid play to his strengths. Brad Smith, Leon Washington and Cotchery were 3 of our biggest playmakers and we dumped them all, and bring in Tebow and Plax and Mason and Schillens, and more garbage.

Heres to appreciating relevance and being optimistic about Sanchez in 2013, I think if we are smart this offseason, we help surround him and resurrect his career.

So if Sanchez had playmakers in 2009 and 2010 HOW COME HE COULDN'T SUSTAIN A 60% COMPLETION PERCENTAGE?

Oh because stats don't matter and this isn't fantasy football.

OK. I got it.

Browning Nagle and Glenn Foley both were lacking playmakers, too.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    i care about the jets winning games and having chemistry. i dont care he didnt have 60% comp. Does it suck he doesnt? Yeah it does, he should be above 60%. But he isnt. on the brighter side, he can get us to 30 mins of a SB. There are tons of QBs that are way above 60% that will never get to one. I dont care about fantay stats, i want wins for the team. ill take a QB who can outplay and beat brady, manning, rivers and palmer, all on the road, all in first two years of playoffs. most QBs cant do that.

So if Sanchez had playmakers in 2009 and 2010 HOW COME HE COULDN'T SUSTAIN A 60% COMPLETION PERCENTAGE?

Oh because stats don't matter and this isn't fantasy football.

OK. I got it.

Browning Nagle and Glenn Foley both were lacking playmakers, too.