Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Mark Sanchez will be our #1 QB in 2013

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ASG0531 View Post
    Are there people out there who still really believe that Sanchez can magically transform from the 32nd ranked frog into an elite prince?
    Are there still people out there who believe the Rex G&P offensive juggernaut could produce anything better than mediocrity.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 56mehl56 View Post
    I said he might as in perhaps this season with an offense that wasn't taken from the 1950's.
    Ah, I misread that. Either way, I severely doubt he himself makes any drastic improvement.

The sad thing is that, currently, he's the best option we have on our roster. Pretty depressing, honestly.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Its all a symptom of the offensive gameplan. Sure teams like GB , SF , Balt flourish on offense because they're running game opens up the passing game. Rex never wanted a passing game, he would have been content to run it every time on offense, not because of his lack of faith in Sanchez but his desire to be G&P. Sanchez was a game manager at best in 2010 , you can't compare his offense against teams who actually wanted to throw the ball.
    I doubt that's true. I remember Rex saying something to the effect of, if they were lucky enough to have a QB like Brady they would throw the ball more, but since they don't they have to make do. Sanchez turns the ball over enough as it is, having him throw more than that would cost you games.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonetime86 View Post
    I doubt that's true. I remember Rex saying something to the effect of, if they were lucky enough to have a QB like Brady they would throw the ball more, but since they don't they have to make do. Sanchez turns the ball over enough as it is, having him throw more than that would cost you games.
    So since they don't have Brady they should just abandon the offense and put the QB in horrible passing situations. No because they don't have Brady they should have looked at more creative ways to put the QB in better passing situations ( ie first down passes , screens, throwing deep on occasion to open up the running game) instead of ignoring it and running Greene into his Oline's back for two yards at a clip.

Sanchez turned the ball over via throws because he was trying to do too much, force throws to avoid sacks and keep the O on the field. We saw firsthand what happens when a QB plays the Rex system to a T when McElroy got the start , he didn't force throws and took sacks when no one was open. Sanchez could have done that and absorbed 100 + sacks this year, then everyone here would have been saying he has no confidence to throw the ball, he sucks.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    So since they don't have Brady they should just abandon the offense and put the QB in horrible passing situations. No because they don't have Brady they should have looked at more creative ways to put the QB in better passing situations ( ie first down passes , screens, throwing deep on occasion to open up the running game) instead of ignoring it and running Greene into his Oline's back for two yards at a clip.

Sanchez turned the ball over via throws because he was trying to do too much, force throws to avoid sacks and keep the O on the field. We saw firsthand what happens when a QB plays the Rex system to a T when McElroy got the start , he didn't force throws and took sacks when no one was open. Sanchez could have done that and absorbed 100 + sacks this year, then everyone here would have been saying he has no confidence to throw the ball, he sucks.
    Running the ball effectively should put you in position to make easier throws.

Granted, coaching does make a difference, but even the best coaches can't turn crap into sugar. Sanchez has shown that he doesn't have the arm or accuracy to consistently do the things you're recommending. The stats prove it; not only this year, but throughout his career.

In my opinion, McElroy struggled because of his inexperience and San Diego's absolute lack of respect for his ability to throw the ball. They were in all out blitz mode and consistently crowded the line of scrimmage. Couple that with a bad day out for the pass protection, and you have the recipe for what happened in that game.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Running the ball effectively should put you in position to make easier throws.

Granted, coaching does make a difference, but even the best coaches can't turn crap into sugar. Sanchez has shown that he doesn't have the arm or accuracy to consistently do the things you're recommending. The stats prove it; not only this year, but throughout his career.

In my opinion, McElroy struggled because of his inexperience and San Diego's absolute lack of respect for his ability to throw the ball. They were in all out blitz mode and consistently crowded the line of scrimmage. Couple that with a bad day out for the pass protection, and you have the recipe for what happened in that game.
    A big problem for the Jets is that it is tougher to 'run the ball effectively' when the other team does not respect your passing game at all even in the slightest. People often talk about setting up the pass with the run but it goes both ways. If the opponent has no fear in the passing game they do things they should not get away with. (such as bringing an extra safety in, jumping all short pass routes, covering backs and TE's with LBs.)

Put a bit of fear into a defense with the pass and your running game takes off.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    A big problem for the Jets is that it is tougher to 'run the ball effectively' when the other team does not respect your passing game at all even in the slightest. People often talk about setting up the pass with the run but it goes both ways. If the opponent has no fear in the passing game they do things they should not get away with. (such as bringing an extra safety in, jumping all short pass routes, covering backs and TE's with LBs.)

Put a bit of fear into a defense with the pass and your running game takes off.
    That's very true. I agree wholeheartedly. It's very difficult to fear a passing game if the opposing QB has a completion percentage of 54% and doesn't have the deep ball ability of a Joe Flacco et al.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's very true. I agree wholeheartedly. It's very difficult to fear a passing game if the opposing QB has a completion percentage of 54% and doesn't have the deep ball ability of a Joe Flacco et al.
    And its hard to achieve 60% passing percentage when you feature the run not to set up the pass. Take any QB with a greater than 60% completion rate, put them in repeated 3rd and longs and watch that % come down. Those teams get around that by passing more when its not expected or passing to loosen up the run. The Jets pass as an afterthought and we've all seen the results.

Face it Flacco is maybe the best deep ball QB in the game, but the problem is the Jets don't throw deep with any regularity like any pro offense would, they throw deep out of desperation.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    And its hard to achieve 60% passing percentage when you feature the run not to set up the pass. Take any QB with a greater than 60% completion rate, put them in repeated 3rd and longs and watch that % come down. Those teams get around that by passing more when its not expected or passing to loosen up the run. The Jets pass as an afterthought and we've all seen the results.

Face it Flacco is maybe the best deep ball QB in the game, but the problem is the Jets don't throw deep with any regularity like any pro offense would, they throw deep out of desperation.
    Do you know why they don't throw deep enough? It's because they are aware of his strengths and weaknesses (as well as the strengths and weaknesses of the offense in general).

For example do you know why the 49ers are currently more explosive? It's because Kaepernick has the skill set to run that type of offense effectively. While Alex Smith had a different skill set. You don't force a square peg into a round hole.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    and dont forget when sanchez throws the deep ball its actually quite pretty, its just that unfortunately like the one pass to schillens against ARI, it was a perfect pass, but Peterson on ARI made an unreal play (probably the pick of the year), and Schillens did nothing to even prevent the pick. Heck, even if Peterson didnt make the play, I am sure Schillens would have dropped it anyway, and fairweather Jet fans would still blame Sanchez. Its Sanchez' fault no matter what, when you are in NY and among fairweather Jet fans.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Do you know why they don't throw deep enough? It's because they are aware of his strengths and weaknesses (as well as the strengths and weaknesses of the offense in general).

For example do you know why the 49ers are currently more explosive? It's because Kaepernick has the skill set to run that type of offense effectively. While Alex Smith had a different skill set. You don't force a square peg into a round hole.
    And how explosive would Kaepernick be replacing Frank Gore with Shonn Greene , Vernon Davis with Dustin Keller, I won't even bother listing out the Wr''s but most importantly in the Rex driven G&P. They're explosive because their coaching staff is adaptable and and takes advantage of their players stengths, not just forcing a scheme regardless of if they're players are suited to it.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    And how explosive would Kaepernick be replacing Frank Gore with Shonn Greene , Vernon Davis with Dustin Keller, I won't even bother listing out the Wr''s but most importantly in the Rex driven G&P. They're explosive because their coaching staff is adaptable and and takes advantage of their players stengths, not just forcing a scheme regardless of if they're players are suited to it.
    I compared two guys who played on the same exact offense; yet one was more effective than the other. Why did that happen?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I compared two guys who played on the same exact offense; yet one was more effective than the other. Why did that happen?
    Because the coaching staff recognized the talents of each player and adapted their offense accordingly. In contrast for the past 4 years the Jets offense was set in stone regardless of who would have played QB. Rex had a strong desire to be a G&P team , and he didn't utilize Sanchez in a way suitable to his talents.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Because the coaching staff recognized the talents of each player and adapted their offense accordingly. In contrast for the past 4 years the Jets offense was set in stone regardless of who would have played QB. Rex had a strong desire to be a G&P team , and he didn't utilize Sanchez in a way suitable to his talents.
    But one was clearly more effective than the other. You can't make every QB effective; if that were the case they wouldn't be so coveted in the draft or in free agency. They would just pick bums off of the street and it wouldn't make a difference.

In just about every sport I can think of coaching makes a difference, but at the same time, they the coaches, can only work within the talent level of their athletes. In boxing, for example, as good as a trainer Roger Mayweather is, he can't train any old joe to be as effective as Floyd Mayweather Jr. Phil Jackson was a great coach, but you can sure bet he couldn't put in any old shooting guard and have the same success.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    And how explosive would Kaepernick be replacing Frank Gore with Shonn Greene , Vernon Davis with Dustin Keller, I won't even bother listing out the Wr''s
    You forgot to mention replacing Davis with Keller who doesn't even play most of the season b/c he's always hurt. Oh the Niners have the best OL in the NFL.

Next year is all about getting weapons on offense and letting Revis earn his payday by playing outstanding football for the New York Jets.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sanchez has no talents. It doesnt matter who you surround him with. He is horrible. Why do people still defend this loser?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    He would be a whole crap-ton more explosive than Sanchez that is for sure. Sanchez would still suck in any situation.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    Sanchez has no talents. It doesnt matter who you surround him with. He is horrible. Why do people still defend this loser?

That's why.

NFL history is not littered with fantastic playoff quarterbacks who sucked during the regular season. There's a reason why. It's been posted hundreds of times here. He simply doesn't have the right supporting cast anymore. So he could not grow. So he regressed.

SAR I

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    And so it begins.

Same old thing.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post

That's why.

NFL history is not littered with fantastic playoff quarterbacks who sucked during the regular season. There's a reason why. It's been posted hundreds of times here. He simply doesn't have the right supporting cast anymore. So he could not grow. So he regressed.

SAR I
    Are those numbers really fantastic?Context is very important when analyzing any statistic.