Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Mark Sanchez will be our #1 QB in 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman View Post
    Nothing worse than going 8-8 (missing the playoffs) and being stuck with a below average QB.

Sadly if Sanchez starts, that's about where the Jets are going to be at.
    Sanchez is a disease

Jets Insider VIP
    I say draft a QB in second or third round and go with Sanchez. McElroy, and draftee. If Sanchez plays well under the new coach and system then great, if not put in McElroy and Draftee to see what potential they might have.

I think Sanchez might surprise everybody this year. If you've ever been in a serious car accident you know how cautious you drive for awhile and I think Sanchez may be a different QB in 2013 for the same reason. He was shell shocked in the early part of the season against Houston (JJ Watt) and 49ers (0-34) and then against NE. He is suposedly a very good athlete according to everything we heard before this season, yet he looked like the biggest clutz known to mankind. I just feel he has 50/50 chance to be a real good QB this season and would not be surprised if this happens.

If not we move on as planned.

Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    It's a combination of factors:

1. Sanchez's cost and low-market-value. It's all-but-insurmountable.

2. Rex's affection and faith in Mark. Rex may believe that Mark will thrive under the NEW system in ways he couldn't under Shotty/Sparano.

3. A lack of external options. Options that might be acceptable cost too much. Options that do not cost too much are generally unacceptable.

4. Building the future, generally, doesn't involve bringing in veteran jag journeymen for one-year stints when you have an uncuttable, untradeable veteran jag already ont he roster at a massive cap figure.

5. We're all buy guaranteed to draft a QB, and probably not high either. A mid-rounder won't be given the #1 job, and probably won't beat out Sanchez in camp. Sanchez would have to fail, alot, to lose the job to a rookie.

6. A wily GM will see that a failed Rex/Sanchez 2013 offers him a perfect clean slate in 2014 and beyond, new Coach, new QB, both selected by HIM. His team, not Tanny/Rex's. He won't seek that out on purpose, but if he's as smart as he is reported, he'll use it to his advantage if it comes to pass.

It's a Perfect Storm. Mark Sanchez will be the #1 opening day.
    I think this is most likely scenario. Unless there's some magical way to make his contract disappear, I can't see a way for the new GM to spend $ on a new QB, pay Sanchez, and fill all of the holes we have on O.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Idzik hasn't even spoken to the press yet once and you're going to agree to this? Fact is, until tomorrow, we won't even have the slightest clue about his plans. I'm sure he is going to give some vague answers too so we really need to wait until free agency and the draft to know for certain the direction he is taking us. He'll be asked about Sanchez tomorrow, my guess is he'll give a noncommittal answer regarding his future on the team.
    You think he is going to tell us his plans for Sanchez and Tebow? He isn't going to say anything tomorrow.

All we are doing here is discussing what we think is going to happen.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    I say draft a QB in second or third round and go with Sanchez. McElroy, and draftee. If Sanchez plays well under the new coach and system then great, if not put in McElroy and Draftee to see what potential they might have.

I think Sanchez might surprise everybody this year. If you've ever been in a serious car accident you know how cautious you drive for awhile and I think Sanchez may be a different QB in 2013 for the same reason. He was shell shocked in the early part of the season against Houston (JJ Watt) and 49ers (0-34) and then against NE. He is suposedly a very good athlete according to everything we heard before this season, yet he looked like the biggest clutz known to mankind. I just feel he has 50/50 chance to be a real good QB this season and would not be surprised if this happens.

What's the point of keeping McElroy? He's shown how limited his usefulness is in his one start.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post

so we will chalk up another losing season on a 50/50 QB. Makes no sense to me! The man MUST win the job in an open competition and then lets revisit. Sanchez fans are incredible!

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    What's the point of keeping McElroy? He's shown how limited his usefulness is in his one start.
    wow ! can you inamgine if Sanchez played behind that poor performance by the OL that day. I wonder what you'd be saying. The guy looked like a clown most of the year but all we can do is judge a guy by one performance. Works for me!

I hope Tebow is gone cause he's going to be once again a distraction.

I do hope the Jets bring in a CAP affordable veteran to compete for the starting job. Someone like Moore perhaps. So even if Sanchez starts the season...if he's still a TO machine, Morhinweg could yank Sanchez, then put a vet like Moore in. And see how the team performs with a non TO prone serviceable QB running the offense.

After last year's god awful season...there's no reason to continue to play Sanchez, if he's not performing significantly better. If he's continues being a TO machine, then you must make the change. The players...as well as the fans, deserve this to happen. And I think Mornhinweg will make that change.

Jets should draft a QB prospect somewhere in the 2nd-3rd round. And start developing him. So that maybe he can finish out the season in the last 3-4 games, if the Jets are out of the playoffs.

Hall Of Fame
    I don't deny that. The offense needs playmakers period. But the idea of adding pieces on offense in an effort to keep Sanchez as the starter is silly. Add players because they are needed, not so you can make Sanchez look like a bottom 10 QB instead of a bottom 5 QB. Anyway, the biggest talent upgrade needed on offense is QB, surely that must be evident by now.
    So what is the difference between adding players to keep Sanchez the starter and adding players because they are needed? The point is, upgrading the talent on offense is needed regardless of who the QB is. What player would be brought in that would help Sanchez and not another QB?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    He is a young bright QB who is highly motivated and showed a lot of moxy when he stepped into against Arizona; however, in his start he looked terrible when he was blitzed constantly. Half of that is on the coach. He deserves a fresh look. IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    I just realized, today, that this is absolutely how this offseason is going to pan out.

Cutting him is out, he's too expensive under any projected cap-hit-scenario-projection I've read.

Trading him is out, for much the same reason (and because no one else wants to pay him).

So that means we're keeping him.

And if we're keeping him, he is not going to be the #2. He's just not.

Mark Sanchez is going to get another full year to win or lose as a Jet, fan reaction be damned. In a new Morning-Whig System that depends heavily on a timely, accurate, quick-reading Quareterback.

Dreams (of some) for Flynn, or Alex Smith, or Moore, or any of the various lolJag's in the "related to Morning-Whig or new QB Coach" thread are just that, dreams.

At most, and journeyman will be brought in to replace Tebow (maybe) as the #2, and "challenge" Sanchez, i.e. not challenge him at all.

And Mark will be our opening day Starter at QB.

Worse, I think there is every possabillity we could open the 2013 season with BOTH Sanchez AND Tebow on the roster.

Tebow is gone. I believe in Sanchez. If he wins the job next year, we will still make the playoffs. We now have a top-shelf OC and a very good QB coach. If we draft Warmack and a good RB... Here come the Jets. All the other pieces are in place. Guys crying for a pass-rusher are reaching, you may get a play here or there but elite QBs/teams neutralize them. How many times was Brady sacked playing BALT? How many times did HOU sack him? We need a competent offense and our D will shine. I think we are finally on our way.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    so we will chalk up another losing season on a 50/50 QB. Makes no sense to me! The man MUST win the job in an open competition and then lets revisit. Sanchez fans are incredible!
    Whoa, I'm not a Sanchez fan like I was a fan of Pennington. And I'm not opposed to any competition at TC or preseason. I'm just saying I think Sanchez beats out the competition.

Next season will most likely be chalked up to the Cap problems.

All League
    1. I hope to God Sanchez isn't the starter
    2. PLEASE PLEASE get Tebow off my football team

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    You think he is going to tell us his plans for Sanchez and Tebow? He isn't going to say anything tomorrow.

All we are doing here is discussing what we think is going to happen.
    He's going to have to say something about the QB position because he's going to be asked about it several times. If we had a good QB on the roster, then obviously he wouldn't really need to comment on the position, but after the disastrous QB play last season, he has to at least tell the media he is keeping all options open (free agency, draft, trade. etc.). My point is, I don't see him giving a vote of confidence to Sanchez (and obviously not to Tebow either).

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    So what is the difference between adding players to keep Sanchez the starter and adding players because they are needed? The point is, upgrading the talent on offense is needed regardless of who the QB is. What player would be brought in that would help Sanchez and not another QB?
    There's a difference. If you are adding players to support Sanchez, then you don't add a QB as well (or not one that is a threat to really play). If you realize that Sanchez is horrible and the biggest problem on offense, then you use as many resources as possible to bring in more talent at QB, and afterward see what remaining options you have to upgrade at the skill positions.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vader View Post
    Sanchez is a disease
    Losing is a Disease. Funny scene in The Natural.

But Sanchez is not a disease. He was given a Jets Offense virus.

Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    Sanchez isn't some middle of the road QB, that given a little more support can take the Jets to the promised land.

He was the worst starting QB in the entire league. Let's honestly stop with the resurrection talk.

Sometimes I wonder if Jet fans actually watched the games.
    Settle down, son. I never said he was great, but he had a horrible year with absolutely zero talent around him. He has done ok with a good OL and running game. He is all we have with limited options. Sometimes I wonder if Jet fans (you) understand the financial complications of Sanchez deal.

Hall Of Fame
    He's going to have to say something about the QB position because he's going to be asked about it several times. If we had a good QB on the roster, then obviously he wouldn't really need to comment on the position, but after the disastrous QB play last season, he has to at least tell the media he is keeping all options open (free agency, draft, trade. etc.). My point is, I don't see him giving a vote of confidence to Sanchez (and obviously not to Tebow either).
    That is exactly what he is going to say.

My point was that I can see a situation where both Sanchez and Tebow are on the roster. If I were GM, they would both be cut regardless of the cap situation.

Quote Originally Posted by TebowCan'tThrow View Post
    Settle down, son. I never said he was great, but he had a horrible year with absolutely zero talent around him. He has done ok with a good OL and running game. He is all we have with limited options. Sometimes I wonder if Jet fans (you) understand the financial complications of Sanchez deal.
    I apologize for my "watch" the comment, it was unnecessary.

With that said, Sanchez had the NFL leading running game and a top five OL and was still a well below average QB.

I understand Sanchez's bad contact in detail but just because the former GM made a terrible decision doesn't mean should compound that mistake by allowing a drastically underperforming NFL QB to continue to start for this team.

We need to move on from Sanchez.

Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    We need to move on from Sanchez.
    I agree.

The big question though is "when" and "how".

The When might just be 2014, and the How might just be the cheap way later.