Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Mark Sanchez will be our #1 QB in 2013

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    That is exactly what he is going to say.

My point was that I can see a situation where both Sanchez and Tebow are on the roster. If I were GM, they would both be cut regardless of the cap situation.
    +1000

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sanchez has a defeatist attitude of late. Once things don't go perfect, he starts spiraling.

He has little confidence. There's a lot behind the doors we don't see, but I hope that the QB situation is resolved for the better, with or without MS.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    +1000
    Agreed. It's a bit scorched earth for a brand new GM, but would send a strong message to the team about the changing dynamic and holding players accountable for performing poorly. Can you build a good team in 2013 with Sanchez's cap hit for cutting him? I'm not sure. Can you build a good team in 2013 with Mark Sanchez as starting QB? That I am sure, and the answer is you can't. Give me the unknown over the known. Worst case, whoever we bring in can't do much worse, and even if they somehow did, we might put ourselves in position to get an elite QB prospect in 2014 draft. Idzik needs to take the long view, not try band-aid approaches so Rex can go 8-8 or 9-7 and try to save his job.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why not just make a pole. What would make you sadder.

A. Rex stays pat with the 3 JAs we already have at QB
    B. We sign Mike Vick as a FA.
    C. We trade away the #9 pick for Romo or Cutler.
    D. We draft Matt Scott in the 4th to "be our starter" because we "don't want to reach for a QB"
    E. We trade away all of this years picks for next years picks and have to extend everyone again just to make cap to fill the roster. Thus continuing the circle of madness.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Why not just make a pole. What would make you sadder.

A. Rex stays pat with the 3 JAs we already have at QB
    B. We sign Mike Vick as a FA.
    C. We trade away the #9 pick for Romo or Cutler.
    D. We draft Matt Scott in the 4th to "be our starter" because we "don't want to reach for a QB"
    E. We trade away all of this years picks for next years picks and have to extend everyone again just to make cap to fill the roster. Thus continuing the circle of madness.
    You might say they are a bunch of Dreamers.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Agreed. It's a bit scorched earth for a brand new GM, but would send a strong message to the team about the changing dynamic and holding players accountable for performing poorly. Can you build a good team in 2013 with Sanchez's cap hit for cutting him? I'm not sure. Can you build a good team in 2013 with Mark Sanchez as starting QB? That I am sure, and the answer is you can't. Give me the unknown over the known. Worst case, whoever we bring in can't do much worse, and even if they somehow did, we might put ourselves in position to get an elite QB prospect in 2014 draft. Idzik needs to take the long view, not try band-aid approaches so Rex can go 8-8 or 9-7 and try to save his job.
    Agreed, at this point the only reason to keep Sanchez on the roster would be if you felt he still had a chance to be the future. Assuming Idzik doens't believe that the best move is to cut him now, take the 17mm hit and move on.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Tebow will be gone, McElroy will be retained, Jets will draft a QB, Sanchez will be retained. We may or may not sign a vet QB. If Sanchez goes into the year as the starter the team is doomed and the season is lost.
    McElroy should be gone as well for he just doesnít have the arm strength to play in the NFL.
    If Sanchez stays, itíll mean that they really believe that the new O/C and QB can actually salvage his career. If they think that Sanchez is only a one year solution, youíre right, it will be a long season...

If they donít believe that Mark is the long term solution, i hope that they release him after converting his 2013 guaranteed salary into a signing bonus.

The guy at nyjetscap.com wrote a thorough article that describes all possible options the Jets have.

http://www.nyjetscap.com/2012_Articl...ezoptions.html

"Sanchez is set to earn the $8.75 million in cash compensation from the team this year. As a pro who will be entering his 5th NFL season the minimum salary to pay him is $715,000. What you do at that point is pay him the minimum salary for 2013 and convert the remaining $8.035 million into a signing bonus this upcoming March. His cap charge would immediately fall to $6,826,750 a savings of $6,026,250 which can be used to help the team in the present which is what is needed to save the jobs of everyone in charge of the sinking ship.Ē

I say cut your losses and move on.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I also think that SARchez will still be here next year.

Tebow...not so much

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have to agree that Sanchez and Holmes could both be cut. Yes cutting Sanchez would be costly, but cutting Pouha saves them more than the cost of cutting Sanchez. Look at what the Colts did last year.

That said, keeping Sanchez as the starter could bring us the tandem of Coach Sumlin and Johnny Football in 2014- so I could live with it.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark99 View Post
    Sanchez was not given support and undermined.
    IMO Sanchez reached his ceiling his rookie year. The best that can be hoped is that " that' Sanchez can be resurrected. Even that will not be good enough to be playoff bound unless the Jets can maintain the solid play of their defense (remains to be seen with expected defections)and the offense gets enough weapons (don't see it happening due to $$ constraints). So objectively I'm hoping with enough going right the Jets will "climb" back to the 7-9 win category.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleansweep2013 View Post
    It is sad MT royally F-ed the Jets for next year by that horrible extention he gave Sanchez..If it was the same price on the cap to cut or keep him he would surely be cut.. But double the cap if we cut him no way.. Did his agent know he was going to be this terrible and MT was too stupid to see it? Sure looks that way..
    His agent is his brother. So....yeah he probably did know how bad he was. Or that he doesn't handle high pressure, criticism heavy situations very well. Probably the one who advised Mark to come out after that one season. The spotlight would have been on him to win the National Championship the following year and Sanchez probably would have cracked under the pressure. Get that money, bruh! Big Bro's probably been punking Mark since they were toddlers. LOL!

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think there's a high likelihood that Warfish is right for several reasons, including that Rex still believes in Sanchez. Hasn't he blamed the OC for Sanchez's declining performance every season? First Schotty, then Sparano. I know Sparano sucked and I can't believe he got another job in the NFL, but do you really think he was the one who insisted that Sanchez continue to start? Did Sparano EVER say "Sanchez gives us the best chance to win"? He definitely didn't say that in the last few games. Tanny was scapegoated for the lack of talent on the offense, but Rex had a lot of input - maybe most of the power - and was definitely responsible for signing his "old" players when he became HC.

I can just see Mark competing for the starting job. He'll win, cuz that's when he shines - in pretend games. Tanny is being scapegoated for everything, and while he deserved to be fired, I'm not buying that he was responsible for all that went wrong. We still don't know why he gave Sanchez that ridiculous contract extension - did Rex or Woody insist on it? Woody now blames the Tebow trade on Tanny - is that true? Idk, as I remember Rex, Sparano AND Tanny taking credit for that one.

Will Idzik have more power than Rex? I don't think Tanny did. Does the OC have more power than Rex? I don't think ANY of our previous OCs had more power than Rex, so what makes Top of the Morning any different?

The spin is already in play, and blame is being laid everywhere except on Rex and Mark. Based on the Spin Doctor's narrative, here are some reasons beyond the cap that indicate Sanchez will "win" the starting position. Follow the spin:

1. It's not Mark's fault there was a lack of talent on the offense - it's all Tanny's fault. Not Rex's fault either. Let's fire Tanny.

2. Here's proof that our offense is the whole problem: Even when we replaced Sanchez with McElroy, we still lost. Cuz ya know, if a green kid taking his first few snaps in the NFL can't win with that offense, you can't expect someone like Sanchez to do it, either.

3. It's not Mark's fault that he was a turnover machine - it's Sparano's failure to come up with good plays. In fact, it's Sparano's fault that he felt Sanchez needed a "dumbed down" playbook. Let's fire Sparano.

4. It's not Mark's fault he lost self-confidence and played so erratically - it's Tebow's fault. I mean, Sanchez wasn't THAT bad in 2011. Let's scrap Tebow.

5. It's not Mark's fault he failed to "develop" as a QB - it's Cavanaugh's fault. Lets fire him.

The #6 Sanchez Jersey is still on Rex's arm - it hasn't been filled in. When the Jets drafted Sanchez, Rex sold that snake oil to Woody, too. Woody probably blames Mark's failures on #1-5 above. 2013 will be just good enough to continue the Sanchez-Ryan union.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    What will you do if Idzik and Rex state Sanchez is the starter with no competition at the news conference tomorrow?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    What will you do if Idzik and Rex state Sanchez is the starter with no competition at the news conference tomorrow?
    I'd look for Rex's hand and forearm since they'd definitely be up Idzik's skirt working him like a Muppet.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyJet View Post
    I also think that SARchez will still be here next year.

Tebow...not so much

There is a chance, and a pretty good one, that Mark Sanchez was ruined by the lack of playmakers given to him and that that message has been heard loud and clear by Woody Johnson.

Look for Mark to get the help back that was taken away from him and for him to have every chance to win the starting job in Cortland this summer.

I bet Mark Sanchez is happy right now; you should be too.

SAR I

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post

There is a chance, and a pretty good one, that Mark Sanchez was ruined by the lack of playmakers given to him and that that message has been heard loud and clear by Woody Johnson.

Look for Mark to get the help back that was taken away from him and for him to have every chance to win the starting job in Cortland this summer.

I bet Mark Sanchez is happy right now; you should be too.

SAR I
    care to wager on his chance at a successful comeback ?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    care to wager on his chance at a successful comeback ?
    I think he has 1 chance in 3.

How much you thinking at those odds?

SAR I

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    I think he has 1 chance in 3.

How much you thinking at those odds?

SAR I
    i give him more like a 1 in 4 ... but your not far off so it doesn't benefit me to take odds.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Agree given the cap hit he's probably hear but don't think there's a chace he starts.

8 mil on the bench is much better than 17 and cut. Either way hes not starting, so why cut him.

How does starting him if you have to pay him help the team? It doesn't. You have to pay someone to be a backup. Anyway you look at it you will pay MS and a backup. If you flip them you're still paying them the same money.

10 mil between the two, if a M Moore, or whoever,gives a better chance of winning, how does it help to go with MS?

Seattle paid Flynn and started Wilson.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can't believe any of you think Mark can be salvaged, were we not saying the same damn thing last year at this time. "Let's give him one more year,new system, etc etc etc. Well you saw the one more year and the worst QB in the freaking NFL.
    People, people, people, time to move on already,
    Woody and
    Rex will not allow eight home games with the house half full of brown bag faces booing the home team off the field
    To all of you who would dump GMac before Mark, the new system plays right into this kids strengths.
    Do you not imagine that there are quite a few players on the team who have also had there fill of Mr Sanchez, on both sides of the ball.
    I personally don't give a damn if we keep Mark next year or not, I just don't want to see his buttfumble ass under center .