Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Mark Sanchez will be our #1 QB in 2013

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    Agree given the cap hit he's probably hear but don't think there's a chace he starts.

8 mil on the bench is much better than 17 and cut. Either way hes not starting, so why cut him.

How does starting him if you have to pay him help the team? It doesn't. You have to pay someone to be a backup. Anyway you look at it you will pay MS and a backup. If you flip them you're still paying them the same money.

10 mil between the two, if a M Moore, or whoever,gives a better chance of winning, how does it help to go with MS?

Seattle paid Flynn and started Wilson.
    No 17 and cut is better. Next year is rebuilding, and cutting Sanchez sends a message to the team, as well as removing a completely malignant tumor on your team. It is lost money anyway. Stop chasing your tail and just cut the ****er.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    No 17 and cut is better. Next year is rebuilding, and cutting Sanchez sends a message to the team, as well as removing a completely malignant tumor on your team. It is lost money anyway. Stop chasing your tail and just cut the ****er.
    Really?

Makes no sense, even if youre spending someone else's $$.

Lose cap space.
    No one is rebuilding, this is the NFL. A QB turns this team around.
    You lose out on FAs that can help build the team.

Cant find a reason to keep him.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fltflo View Post
    I can't believe any of you think Mark can be salvaged, were we not saying the same damn thing last year at this time. "Let's give him one more year,new system, etc etc etc. Well you saw the one more year and the worst QB in the freaking NFL.
    Mark doesn't need "salvaging". Mark needs "support".

Playmakers Mark had earlier in his career:

Edwards,
    Holmes,
    Cotchery,
    Burress,
    Keller,
    Smith,
    Tomlinson,
    Richardson,
    Jones,
    Greene (young),
    Washington.

Replacement players this/last year:

Schillens,
    Hill,
    Kerley,
    McKnight,
    Connor,
    Gates,
    Hilliard,
    Reuland,
    Gilyard,
    Greene (old).

Find me one player that's a better one-for-one swap of the guy he replaced. Do it. You can't. We had the worst set of receiving targets in the NFL. It's hard to be a good QB when you have nothing to throw to.

Note that I did not list the OL fails.

Note that I did not list the Coordinator fail.

Note that I did not list the Tebow distraction.

SAR I

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    I just realized, today, that this is absolutely how this offseason is going to pan out.

Cutting him is out, he's too expensive under any projected cap-hit-scenario-projection I've read.

Trading him is out, for much the same reason (and because no one else wants to pay him).

So that means we're keeping him.

And if we're keeping him, he is not going to be the #2. He's just not.

Mark Sanchez is going to get another full year to win or lose as a Jet, fan reaction be damned. In a new Morning-Whig System that depends heavily on a timely, accurate, quick-reading Quareterback.

Dreams (of some) for Flynn, or Alex Smith, or Moore, or any of the various lolJag's in the "related to Morning-Whig or new QB Coach" thread are just that, dreams.

At most, and journeyman will be brought in to replace Tebow (maybe) as the #2, and "challenge" Sanchez, i.e. not challenge him at all.

And Mark will be our opening day Starter at QB.

Worse, I think there is every possabillity we could open the 2013 season with BOTH Sanchez AND Tebow on the roster.
    I agree with the majority of this actually. The one thing we don't know is what John Idzik feels about Mark Sanchez. We know how much the Jets front office and Rex has invested in Mark since 09.

If Mark Sanchez is the opening day starter for the Jets in 2013. It will be the 5th straight season where Sanchez has been given the keys to the car. This time however, I think Mark's leash will be extremely short. I don't see him getting another full season of stinking up the joint as the starter. Jets may very well start off the year with him, go to the veteran backup next and then follow it up with the young qb that the Jets draft in April.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Hypothetical Future:

1. Sanchez is Retained.
    2. A QB is drafted in the middle-rounds
    3. McEljoke is Retained.

4. Jets Draft O-line, RB and WR with high picks (rounds 1, 2 and 3).

Jets O in 2013 is then:

QB - Sanchez
    RB - Powell
    RB - Draft Pick
    RB - McKnight
    WR - Holmes
    WR - Draft Pick
    WR - Kerley
    WR - Hill
    TE - Keller (Resigned)/Cumberland (Resigned)
    OLine Keeps Mangold, D'Brick core, adds Draft Pick and FA's as needed.

D gets little attention, resign one Safety, Draft LB mid-late rounds. Youth on Roster replaces aged on roster.

Can this O, under the new leadership of Morning-Whig, be a competative O or not? Is there enough talent? Can Sanchez manage it under a new way of doing business, with his career on the line?

Mornig-whig has a resume of Top-10 Offenses like Rex has one of Top-10 Defenses.

So the question is, can HE salvage Mark Sanchez, if sanchez is given more talent around him in a few key select spots?
    War,

I'm going to use Sar-chez to answer your question.

Originally Posted by SAR I

Edwards,
    Holmes,
    Cotchery,
    Burress,
    Keller,
    Smith,
    Tomlinson,
    Richardson,
    Jones,
    Greene (young),
    Washington.

Schillens,
    Hill,
    Kerley,
    McKnight,
    Connor,
    Gates,
    Hilliard,
    Reuland,
    Gilyard,
    Greene (old).

Find me one player that's a better one-for-one swap of the guy he replaced. Do it. You can't. We had the worst set of receiving targets in the NFL. It's hard to be a good QB when you have nothing to throw to.
    Take away a 1-2 games in the playoffs, and Mark Sanchez was never good. The guy was ranked 28-31 by football outsiders his first few years even with the best running game and o-line. If we don't know who this guy is by now, it's a big problem.

Altering our draft, and not going bap during a rebuild is as poor of a decision as giving mark that extension. Aligning yourself with mark Sanchez cost tanny his job, and almost Rex too. I would think idzik, Rex, and our new OC learned their lesson.

The best option is to
    1) let mark know he's a bench player unless he takes a pay cut. He can be the 2013 version of tebow watching from the bench. Or
    2) force the team taking Revis to take him. It's just a thought but many baseball teams and basketball employ this tactic.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    What?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    SAR I
    This is one area I actually am in agreement with you. Yes, Sanchez played horrible last year however look at how the season broke down:

1st 3 Games W/Holmes: 5 tds 3 ints; 2-1 win/loss record
    Rest of season w/o Holmes: Garbage

And did anything change when Greg McElroy started? No, nothing all he did was take non-stop sacks b/c no receivers ever got open until he became Buttfumbler no. 2. Tebow should be praising God Rex never set him up for failure by starting him in this offense.

Keep Mark
    Keep Rex
    Get Better Players at skill positions and upgrade the OL

Not the sexy or reactionary COA but the right one.
    Last edited by detjetsfan; 01-23-2013 at 10:30 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by YJF View Post
    I agree with the majority of this actually. The one thing we don't know is what John Idzik feels about Mark Sanchez. We know how much the Jets front office and Rex has invested in Mark since 09.
    The Idzik and Morhinweg hires have Matt Flynn written all over them. Idzik was the guy in Seattle who wanted Flynn and Morhinweg's playbook is a west coast offense similar to what McCarthy had in Green Bay. I just hope Flynn is actually the real deal and not another Matt Cassel or Kevin Kolb.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KR View Post
    War,

Take away a 1-2 games in the playoffs, and Mark Sanchez was never good. The guy was ranked 28-31 by football outsiders his first few years even with the best running game and o-line. If we don't know who this guy is by now, it's a big problem.
    Season's 1 and 2: Sanchez is a raw rookie, only 3 years of NCAA experience, only 22 years old, no mentor, no clipboard time. Bad stats, still leads us to 4 road playoff wins (plays very well), still leads us to an 11 win season (second-best in team history, 4 miracle comeback wins, 1 miracle comeback playoff win).

Season's 3 and 4: Sanchez is abandoned. See post above showing crap brought in and talent sent packing.

Not a single Jets fan alive thought he would be a problem at the start of the 2011 campaign. Something happened halfway through that season that killed us. And there's a line in the sand for all to see:

Going into the November Patriots game, we were on an 18-9 run with 5 victories against elite teams.

Since that game, we are 9-15 with a 1-11 record against winning teams.

Burress got old, Tomlinson got hurt, Keller got hurt, Hunter got worse. Without his redzone target, dump-off outlet, stud TE, and dependable RT, Mark and the offense fell apart. Add to that the talent dump and lack of quality replacement this past offseason, that's why we are where we are.

And then add in Sparano. And then add in Tebow. And then add in injuries to Keller and Holmes. If the Jets were trying to kill their quarterback, they couldn't have done any better.

SAR I

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    I apologize for my "watch" the comment, it was unnecessary.

With that said, Sanchez had the NFL leading running game and a top five OL and was still a well below average QB.

I understand Sanchez's bad contact in detail but just because the former GM made a terrible decision doesn't mean should compound that mistake by allowing a drastically underperforming NFL QB to continue to start for this team.

We need to move on from Sanchez.
    I definitely agree with you, but I just don't see how we can make a clean break from him in 2013 with what we owe him. At the end of the day, the same things that help Sanchez will help all QB's, so we need to focus on that and hopefully we can find a one year stop gap or draft another QB and then dump him in 2014.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4792202]Mark doesn't need "salvaging". Mark needs "support".

Edwards,
    Holmes,
    Cotchery,
    Burress,
    Keller,
    Smith,
    Tomlinson,
    Richardson,
    Jones,
    Greene (young),
    Washington.

Yeah a bunch of players who could jump, stretch, and lay themselves out to catch the passes Mark was throwing to them
    I want a QB who knows how to put the damn ball where the receiver WILL be not where he was at.
    Now I will agree that the talent level this year let much to be desired, but damn son, how many bad throws, decisions and all around bad play will it take for all the Sanchez supporters to finally realize the kid is a fraud. What excuse will it be next year, oh, now that he has had a year in the new system, you wait he is finally going to step up in 2014.
    ENOUGH SAR, the kid is just not that good, he has all the tools except one, the one between his ears. No amount of talent surrounding him will change that fact. Time to move on, I do find it interesting though that you are so willing to have Rex's head and so willing to keep Mark as our starter. Enough is enough. B

Schillens,
    Hill,
    Kerley,
    McKnight,
    Connor,
    Gates,
    Hilliard,
    Reuland,
    Gilyard,
    Greene (old).

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Let's look at the options we have with Mark Sanchez. No one wants him at his current salary. If the cut him, his cap number increases $3M.

So if we have a sit down with Mark and ask him to make a choice:

Serve as our #3 all season and not play

Or

Give back $3M and the Jets release you to compete for a spot on another team.

If you are Mark, is it worth $3M to be a free agent?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fltflo View Post

Yeah a bunch of players who could jump, stretch, and lay themselves out to catch the passes Mark was throwing to them
    I want a QB who knows how to put the damn ball where the receiver WILL be not where he was at.
    Now I will agree that the talent level this year let much to be desired, but damn son, how many bad throws, decisions and all around bad play will it take for all the Sanchez supporters to finally realize the kid is a fraud. What excuse will it be next year, oh, now that he has had a year in the new system, you wait he is finally going to step up in 2014.
    ENOUGH SAR, the kid is just not that good, he has all the tools except one, the one between his ears. No amount of talent surrounding him will change that fact. Time to move on, I do find it interesting though that you are so willing to have Rex's head and so willing to keep Mark as our starter. Enough is enough.
    We will never know how much Mark Sanchez might have improved in Year 3 and 4 if he was given offensive support that equaled what he had in Year 1 and 2.

Most young QB's are also given equally young receivers so that they can grow together, mature together, develop that rapport together that lets them anticipate where the play should go, that silent knowledge that gives great offenses the mojo to be very successful. Mark has new targets every year, new OC's every year, there's no one to bond with, just a bunch of carpetbagging old free agents and questionable draft picks.

I'm surprised he even got 6 wins with the crap WR's, TE's, RB's, and OL he was given, thought it should have been even worse.

I want Rex's head because he's 50 and a proven failure at the job and ruined a team that was in his complete control.

I want Mark to have another chance because he's 26 and might have been ruined by a situation that was not in his control.

SAR I

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KR View Post
    War,

Altering our draft, and not going bap during a rebuild is as poor of a decision as giving mark that extension. Aligning yourself with mark Sanchez cost tanny his job, and almost Rex too. I would think idzik, Rex, and our new OC learned their lesson.

The best option is to
    1) let mark know he's a bench player unless he takes a pay cut. He can be the 2013 version of tebow watching from the bench. Or
    2) force the team taking Revis to take him. It's just a thought but many baseball teams and basketball employ this tactic.
    I can't think of a team that would be able to fit both under the cap.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    SAR, I feel your pain, but hearing the same old excuses for Mark gets tiring after a while. What's the minimum thing any football player is expected to do? Protect the football. Every single player on the team - PROTECT THE FOOTBALL. It's been drilled into their heads since childhood. Sanchez can't even do that. Poor McElroy, thrown into his first start in the NFL, protected the ball better than Mark even though he was sacked 11 times! Think about it - Mac got a concussion in that game - but he still remembered to protect the freaking football! Mac could have been knocked into a coma but he would still have the ball tucked safely against his chest in a death grip. If Sanchez had been sacked 11 times he would have turned the ball over 16 times!

A lot of young QBs are given only 1 or 2 seasons to show their stuff before they fall off the NFL starting QB carousel. Mark has been given FOUR SEASONS to show his stuff. FOUR full seasons as the undisputed starter. FOUR more seasons than Tebow or McElroy. Sure, Sanchez is only 26-years old. Tebow is only 25-years old and allegedly "sucks" because Rex Ryan refused to start him this year. McElroy is only 24-years old and he's allegedly a "career backup" based on the limited playing time he got this year. It would be interesting to see what Tebow or McElroy could accomplish with 4 years as the undisputed starting QB of a team. At the very least, their turnover ratio would be much better than Mark's.

Your post helped me realize something else, though. Now I know why people are sick of hearing me discuss Tebow and the chances he has or hasn't been given in the NFL. I realized that I could just as easily replace the name of "Sanchez" in your post with that of "Tebow". Just for sh*ts and giggles, I'm going to do it:

Quote Originally Posted by JaxSuzy mucking about with poor SAR's post
    We will never know how much Tim Tebow might have improved in Year 3 and 4 if he was given offensive support that equaled what he had in college.

Most young QB's are also given equally young receivers so that they can grow together, mature together, develop that rapport together that lets them anticipate where the play should go, that silent knowledge that gives great offenses the mojo to be very successful. Tebow has new targets every year, new OC's every year, there's no one to bond with, just a bunch of carpetbagging old free agents and questionable draft picks.

I'm surprised he even got any wins with the crap plays he was given, thought it should have been even worse.

I want Rex's head because he's 50 and a proven failure at the job and ruined a team that was in his complete control.

I want Tebow to have another chance because he's 25 and might have been ruined by a situation that was not in his control.

SAR I
    Do you see what I mean? Mark has been given plenty of chances. And Warfish is correct - Mark will be getting another chance next year if for no other reason than the cap hit and the lack of elite QBs in this year's draft. Yes, it will suck, especially if Rex says "Mark gives us the best chance to win". Gag. But I still feel your pain, SAR. I know what it's like.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=fltflo;4792438]

Edwards,
    Holmes,
    Cotchery,
    Burress,
    Keller,
    Smith,
    Tomlinson,
    Richardson,
    Jones,
    Greene (young),
    Washington.

ENOUGH SAR, the kid is just not that good, he has all the tools except one, the one between his ears. No amount of talent surrounding him will change that fact. Time to move on, I do find it interesting though that you are so willing to have Rex's head and so willing to keep Mark as our starter. Enough is enough. B

Schillens,
    Hill,
    Kerley,
    McKnight,
    Connor,
    Gates,
    Hilliard,
    Reuland,
    Gilyard,
    Greene (old).
    SAR... No matter what argument you put forth, you CANNOT justify Mark's horrible accuracy and pocket presence. And if you attempt to do so, you must be blind.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can't believe some people are just now coming to this conclusion.

He was the best QB on the team last year, like it or not, and he will most likely be the best QB on the team next year as well.

Even if they draft a rookie, Mark will probably beat him in camp and will begin the year as the starter. Maybe a few weeks of bad play will cost him the job, but I fully expect him to be the guy Week 1.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, no **** he's going to be the starter. Everyone should know this already, lol.

It'd be nice if we tried to pickup a legit backup because none of the backups we have are a viable option.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Who was it that posted we'll probably have a "home QB" and an "away QB" so Sanchez won't be abused by the home fans? Cuz that's funny right now too!

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxSuzy View Post

SAR, I feel your pain, but hearing the same old excuses for Mark gets tiring after a while.
    This statement always bothers me. It's like saying "I'm tired of hearing that Marylin Monroe is dead. It gets tiring after awhile."

What we knew coming out of Cortland in July turned out to be true and it did not improve during the season. So while hearing "gee, Mark had some real crap for targets, no running game, and a suspect OL" over and over again gets boring after 17 weeks, its the truth.

This isn't the "Mark Sanchez Story", not some boring comic telling the same jokes over and over again. Fact is, Rex/Mike built a terrible offense and Mark suffered in it (as any other NFL QB would) and thus it's all we have to talk about.

SAR I