Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Mark Sanchez will be our #1 QB in 2013

Quote Originally Posted by parafly View Post
    This would be an ideal scenario, but do you really think it will happen?

If Idzik comes in and cleans house, I'll be very impressed and pleasantly surprised. I'm just not convinced that he has that sort of power within the organization. JMO, Woody and Rex will be pushing for retooling instead of a full rebuild.
    I think it can. It would make sense with the path Woody has taken of late. Smart and methodical. contrary to the media reports, Idzik wasn't brought in here to be Rex's lackey. I'm sure he has a plan and part of that plan is what to do with Sanchez. I think most Jet fans would like the idea of taking the big hit this year and being done with him next.

Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Hypothetical Future:

1. Sanchez is Retained.
    2. A QB is drafted in the middle-rounds
    3. McEljoke is Retained.

4. Jets Draft O-line, RB and WR with high picks (rounds 1, 2 and 3).

Jets O in 2013 is then:

QB - Sanchez
    RB - Powell
    RB - Draft Pick
    RB - McKnight
    WR - Holmes
    WR - Draft Pick
    WR - Kerley
    WR - Hill
    TE - Keller (Resigned)/Cumberland (Resigned)
    OLine Keeps Mangold, D'Brick core, adds Draft Pick and FA's as needed.

D gets little attention, resign one Safety, Draft LB mid-late rounds. Youth on Roster replaces aged on roster.

Can this O, under the new leadership of Morning-Whig, be a competative O or not? Is there enough talent? Can Sanchez manage it under a new way of doing business, with his career on the line?

Mornig-whig has a resume of Top-10 Offenses like Rex has one of Top-10 Defenses.

So the question is, can HE salvage Mark Sanchez, if sanchez is given more talent around him in a few key select spots?
    No, Sanchez is done in NY

Think about it this way...Sanchez has never had a real coordinator that has ever developed any QB. MM has had success in this league. I think McElroy can be decent in a WCO so I wouldn't mind another veteran, cut Tebow and let Sanchez/McElroy/veteran QB compete for the job. We have a lot of other holes to fill so trading for a QB and losing a draft pick won't work and cutting Sanchez isn't a financial option. Sanchez has had some success so we know he can play with the right weapons.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    No, Sanchez in done in NY
    That was my opinion as well, for a long while now.

But I simply don't see him being off the team in 2013, barring some extraordinary trade/cap-fu move by Idzik.

And if he's on the team and costs a bagful of money...

JetsInsider.com Legend
    I'm starting to think the same thing.

And if that's the case, then I'm drafting offense like crazy in April.

Something like this in the first 3 rounds:

1st round: OG Chance Warmack - Alabama

2nd round: TE Vance McDonald - Rice

3rd round: RB Stepfan Taylor - Stanford

If we're going to be stuck with Sanchez for another year, we might as well try to make the best of it.

Quote Originally Posted by TebowCan'tThrow View Post
    Think about it this way...Sanchez has never had a real coordinator that has ever developed any QB. MM has had success in this league. I think McElroy can be decent in a WCO so I wouldn't mind another veteran, cut Tebow and let Sanchez/McElroy/veteran QB compete for the job. We have a lot of other holes to fill so trading for a QB and losing a draft pick won't work and cutting Sanchez isn't a financial option. Sanchez has had some success so we know he can play with the right weapons.
    Sanchez isn't some middle of the road QB, that given a little more support can take the Jets to the promised land.

He was the worst starting QB in the entire league. Let's honestly stop with the resurrection talk.

Sometimes I wonder if Jet fans actually watched the games.

All Pro
    IMO the OP is right that we won't be able to dump Sanchez -- he will be on the 2013 roster.

I'd be very surprised if he was the starter, however. I think we sign a vet journeyman (think Matt Moore -- a guy who will take less because he thinks he can beat out Sanchez in camp) and draft a mid-round QB (think Kirk Cousins) and go into camp with four guys (with McElroy the one who doesn't make the cut.)

I just don't think there's any way the organization will ever be able to sell the fans on Sanchez as the starter anymore.

That was my opinion as well, for a long while now.

But I simply don't see him being off the team in 2013, barring some extraordinary trade/cap-fu move by Idzik.

And if he's on the team and costs a bagful of money...
    I hear you, but he was just soooo bad...It's just hard to imagine our new GM going into the season with him as our number 1 QB. He has to understand the scorn he'll receive if he did so.

Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    Sanchez isn't some middle of the road QB, that given a little more support can take the Jets to the promised land.

He was the worst starting QB in the entire league. Let's honestly stop with the resurrection talk.

Sometimes I wonder if Jet fans actually watched the games.
    Plus the idea that Idzik is going to want to come here with the intention of revitalizing Sanchez's career by putting more pieces around him makes no sense. Idzik has zero ties to drafting Sanchez or anyone who did. He wasn't a part of the extension Sanchez received. There's nothing at stake for him with Sanchez. All he is gonna see is a horribly underperforming player that was benched last season for a limited 7th round pick 3rd-stringer.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Tebow will be gone, McElroy will be retained, Jets will draft a QB, Sanchez will be retained. We may or may not sign a vet QB. If Sanchez goes into the year as the starter the team is doomed and the season is lost.
    Clowney or Bridgewater (if it appears he is the real deal have to watch him play) in 2014

Hall Of Fame
    I just realized, today, that this is absolutely how this offseason is going to pan out.

Cutting him is out, he's too expensive under any projected cap-hit-scenario-projection I've read.

Trading him is out, for much the same reason (and because no one else wants to pay him).

So that means we're keeping him.

And if we're keeping him, he is not going to be the #2. He's just not.

Mark Sanchez is going to get another full year to win or lose as a Jet, fan reaction be damned. In a new Morning-Whig System that depends heavily on a timely, accurate, quick-reading Quareterback.

Dreams (of some) for Flynn, or Alex Smith, or Moore, or any of the various lolJag's in the "related to Morning-Whig or new QB Coach" thread are just that, dreams.

At most, and journeyman will be brought in to replace Tebow (maybe) as the #2, and "challenge" Sanchez, i.e. not challenge him at all.

And Mark will be our opening day Starter at QB.

Worse, I think there is every possabillity we could open the 2013 season with BOTH Sanchez AND Tebow on the roster.
    I agree.

And I think there is a very good chance both Sanchez and Tebow are back. Just too much coincidence with the David Lee hiring.

Next year will be fun. Now we know how teams like Detroit, Jacksonville and Cleveland have felt in the past.

Personally, I wanted a proper rebuild (or whatever you choose to call it) with all three Tanny, Rex and Sanchez gone. I wanted 2013 to be a pure honeymoon and cap shedding year for the new regime and have them draft their QB in the 2014 draft and move on. Instead we got Tanny as the scapegoat (Sundquist as proof) and Rex surviving b.c of 2 AFCCG appearances with someone else's roster. BTW, I know you wanted to retain Rex so I will just agree to disagree.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 01-23-2013 at 01:07 PM.

All League
    Charter JI Member

I think it all depends on the evaluation of the current QB draft class.

If Idzik thinks there's a guy out there who is the long term solution at QB I think he'll be aggressive at getting him with draft day trades (we know Sea was not afraid to deal).

In that case it will be Sanchez, Rookie and McElroy with the rookie getting the nod if he shows any semblance of progress in camp.

Remember Rex is coaching for his job and of he starts a rookie who sucks at first but shows progress at the end...he'll have better chance at saving himself. If he starts Sanchez and the rookie doesn't play until halfway through the season Rex will get slaughtered for not giving the rookie a chance to develop.

Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    Clowney or Bridgewater (if it appears he is the real deal have to watch him play) in 2014
    I just don't think Rex's D will ever be bad enough to give us the type of record we would need to get a top 3 pick (and that type of elite prospect). It's fun to dream though. Plus if we do bring in stopgap QB the team could very well compete for a playoff spot if the D is top 10. The resulting draft pick would be mid-1st round in that case.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Plus the idea that Idzik is going to want to come here with the intention of revitalizing Sanchez's career by putting more pieces around him makes no sense. Idzik has zero ties to drafting Sanchez or anyone who did. He wasn't a part of the extension Sanchez received. There's nothing at stake for him with Sanchez. All he is gonna see is a horribly underperforming player that was benched last season for a limited 7th round pick 3rd-stringer.
    It doesnt matter who the QB is, the offense needs serious help. How does putting pieces on offense make no sense?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Agree that Sanchez will be on the team next year and that most likely none of the Flynn, Smith or any vet QBs making decent money will be here. I do think the Jets will draft a kid this year. That being said, IF Sanchez does start the season, I do not think he is going to be given the whole season. If he plays like he did this past season, they will go to the rookie. They can not allow him play like that for the entire season, they just cant.
    It was obvious that the Jets had lost faith in Sanchez after the 2011 season, and didn't try to help him with shoring up the Oline but rather leaving in Wayne Hunter till the last possible second, etc. So it is really confounding and surprising that they didn't try to draft a QB in the middle rounds to have as a back up plan just in case, which they surely foresaw. And then hearing the rumors that they wanted Wilson and Tanny mocked the scouts for that???? Did Tannenbaum really think Tebow was an answer? The more that comes out, the stupider TAnnenbaum sounds. He dug his own grave.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    It doesnt matter who the QB is, the offense needs serious help. How does putting pieces on offense make no sense?
    I don't deny that. The offense needs playmakers period. But the idea of adding pieces on offense in an effort to keep Sanchez as the starter is silly. Add players because they are needed, not so you can make Sanchez look like a bottom 10 QB instead of a bottom 5 QB. Anyway, the biggest talent upgrade needed on offense is QB, surely that must be evident by now.

Jets Insider VIP

2. Rex's affection and faith in Mark. Rex may believe that Mark will thrive under the NEW system in ways he couldn't under Shotty/Sparano.
    Whatever 'affection' Rex may have had for Sanchez, is surely gone after seeing his seething expression and snubbing of Sanchez after the Tenn Titans game. When Sanchez ended the Jets seaons with that ridiculous fumble after that ridiculous shanked punt that gave them some hope back. When Rex walked by Sanchez, completely ignoring him, steam was coming out of his ears and if he had had a weapon in his hands Sanchez might not be alive today he was that fuming.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Fixed.
    And Rex is long gone.

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark99 View Post
    Sanchez was not given support and undermined.

I have a hunch you voted for Obama too.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I agree.

And I think there is a very good chance both Sanchez and Tebow are back. Just too much coincidence with the David Lee hiring.

Next year will be fun. Now we know how teams like Detroit, Jacksonville and Cleveland have felt in the past.

Personally, I wanted a proper rebuild (or whatever you choose to call it) with all three Tanny, Rex and Sanchez gone. I wanted 2013 to be a pure honeymoon and cap shedding year for the new regime and have them draft their QB in the 2014 draft and move on. Instead we got Tanny as the scapegoat (Sundquist as proof) and Rex surviving b.c of 2 AFCCG appearances with someone else's roster. BTW, I know you wanted to retain Rex so I will just agree to disagree.
    Idzik hasn't even spoken to the press yet once and you're going to agree to this? Fact is, until tomorrow, we won't even have the slightest clue about his plans. I'm sure he is going to give some vague answers too so we really need to wait until free agency and the draft to know for certain the direction he is taking us. He'll be asked about Sanchez tomorrow, my guess is he'll give a noncommittal answer regarding his future on the team.