Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Mark Sanchez will be our #1 QB in 2013

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post

SAR... No matter what argument you put forth, you CANNOT justify Mark's horrible accuracy and pocket presence. And if you attempt to do so, you must be blind.
    There's nothing to justify. Mark's accuracy and pocket presence is awful.

He came aboard as a junior in college, a 22 year old NFL starter, no clipboard time, no mentor to learn behind, so he picked up some bad habits and the coaching staff didn't correct them in Years 1 or 2.

By Years 3 and 4 the supporting staff got so bad, all his targets were banished, his OC changed, and so just trying to keep up with all the new faces and all the new plays was taxing enough, no time for getting the fundamentals right.

"Accuracy" is dependent upon a WR running the right routes. "Pocket presence" isn't an issue when the QB is never asked to run for his life. Could be that Mark was asked to do too much with crap and couldn't get his own act together in the process.

He's worth another look, that's all I'm saying. Very hard to find a franchise QB, if he's got a 30% chance or a 10% chance to be good, we have to find out.

SAR I

SAR fully recognizes that Mark sucks. He's not a Sanchez apologist. SAR's point, if I'm correct, was best said by Aaron Eckhart's character in The Dark Knight: "The Joker's just a mad dog. I want whoever let him off the leash."

We already know that Mark sucks. The point is that we should focus more on the one who LET him suck.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    He'll be on the roster, but he won't be starting.

He will get beat out by a 2nd or 3rd rounder drafted this year with a big arm.
    I'm guessing Sanchez looks great in practice, it's a difference story when he's getting hit in games.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    SAR fully recognizes that Mark sucks. He's not a Sanchez apologist. SAR's point, if I'm correct, was best said by Aaron Eckhart's character in The Dark Knight: "The Joker's just a mad dog. I want whoever let him off the leash."

We already know that Mark sucks. The point is that we should focus more on the one who LET him suck.
    That is true.

I didn't read that book but if Alfred stripped Batman of his Batmobile, Bat Copter, Utility Belt, and Robin, yeah, I'd start questioning Alfred and not Bruce Wayne.

SAR I

Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    This statement always bothers me. It's like saying "I'm tired of hearing that Marylin Monroe is dead. It gets tiring after awhile."

What we knew coming out of Cortland in July turned out to be true and it did not improve during the season. So while hearing "gee, Mark had some real crap for targets, no running game, and a suspect OL" over and over again gets boring after 17 weeks, its the truth.

This isn't the "Mark Sanchez Story", not some boring comic telling the same jokes over and over again. Fact is, Rex/Mike built a terrible offense and Mark suffered in it (as any other NFL QB would) and thus it's all we have to talk about.

SAR I
    You're right, SAR, those are still the facts. Good Marilyn Monroe analogy. I apologize for grouping your comments in with those of the Sanchez apologists, which I get very tired of reading. I've noticed that you no longer claim that Sanchez is an elite QB but that he MIGHT be great if given the chance and support. Of course, as a Tebow fan I believe the same thing about my guy. I agree that it's hard for any QB to complete passes when the receivers drop the ball, but in this case, they didn't drop the ball all the time - a lot of those errors were on Sanchez.

Here's some quick background on my Jets knowledge: Down here in Florida we get mostly Patriots games, not Jets games, on TV. Until this season I hadn't watched the Jets play any games since the 2009 and 2010 playoffs. So I came into this season thinking that Sanchez was a stable, "veteran" QB that Tebow could sit behind and learn. I thought Tebow would get some QB plays in the red zone or from 3rd and 1, and even in the Wildcat, though Tebow's not a Wild Cat QB. (Note: It was only recently that we realized Rex mistakenly thinks the Wildcat is the same thing as the spread / option offense that Tebow ran in college). Most of what I learned about the Jets was from reading sports articles, Wikipedia, NFL, ESPN, and the posts of all my wonderful mentors here on JI And, of course, from watching the games this year or listening to them on the radio.

Anyway, back to Sanchez. He'd play good and then play bad. Game after game, quarter after quarter, play after play. Erratic. Pumps. Staring down the receivers. 3/4 of the way thru this rollercoaster season I completely lost faith in him. The fumbles, the pick-6es and interceptions, and the iconic butt-fumble, etc. were just too hard for me to blame on the other players anymore. The ball protection factor - Football 101, like I said.

I agree with you about Rex Ryan. Rex is NOT Head Coach material - if he was, he would have taken advantage of the past 4 years to learn about the offense instead of delegating it to others. He promised to do that the last 2 seasons, and he didn't, but he should have been doing it all along if he wants to be a head coach and not a defensive coordinator. I also agree with C-Mart's quote questioning the coach's ability to develop young players.

Now I have just one question for you:

WTF is an "attack offense"? Does this mean different things to different people? Because unless this is a real name for an offensive scheme, it is open to interpretation which can lead to misunderstandings between Rex and the coaches, players and the fans. My "attack offense" might not be the same as yours. When Rex made that statement at the presser, I was like WTF? It's kind of Rex's pattern to say stuff that is open to interpretation. He says something like "I want the offense to be like my defense." That's subjective and therefore it's difficult to properly gauge improvement. I am worried that this year is still going to be the RR show.
    Last edited by JaxSuzy; 06-11-2013 at 01:00 PM. Reason: I can't stand typos

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by JaxSuzy View Post
    You're right, SAR, those are still the facts. Good Marilyn Monroe analogy. I apologize for grouping your comments in with those of the Sanchez apologists, which I get very tired of reading. I've noticed that you no longer claim that Sanchez is an elite QB but that he MIGHT be great if given the chance and support. Of course, as a Tebow fan I believe the same thing about my guy.
    I agree with you about Rex Ryan. Rex is NOT Head Coach material - if he was, he would have taken advantage of the past 4 years to learn about the offense instead of delegating it to others. He promised to do that the last 2 seasons, and he didn't, but he should have been doing it all along if he wants to be a head coach and not a defensive coordinator. I also agree with C-Mart's quote questioning the coach's ability to develop young players.

Now I have just one question for you:

WTF is an "attack offense"? Does this mean different things to different people? Because unless this is a real name for an offensive scheme, it is open to interpretation which can lead to misunderstandings between Rex and the coaches, players and the fans. My "attack offense" might not be the same as yours. When Rex made that statement at the presser, I was like WTF? It's kind of Rex's pattern to say stuff that is open to interpretation. He says something like "I want the offense to be like my defense." That's subjective and therefore it's difficult to properly gauge improvement. I am worried that this year is still going to be the RR show.
    Sanchez: He's a project now, no question, due to the neglect and the mismanagement. Third OC in three years, no cash to sign a strong WR or two, this season still may not give us a true read on his abilities.

Tebow: If the guy only could throw accurately he'd be Top 5 material. Very frustrating. For you, the hope is that he lands on a team that wants to dedicate themselves to the Denver set that he ran so effectively in 2011.

"Attack Offense": It means nothing. Rex Ryan thinks Jets fans are stupid, so he throws out these canned lines of what he thinks we want to hear. All we want to hear is his resignation.

SAR I

"Attack Offense": It means nothing. Rex Ryan thinks Jets fans are stupid, so he throws out these canned lines of what he thinks we want to hear. All we want to hear is his resignation.
    SAR I
    Thanks SAR - I thought that sounded like a load of crap, but wasn't sure if it was some offensive scheme like "The West Coast Offense" or "Spread Option" or "The Pistol" or ... you get my drift. The guy simply cannot open his mouth without some BS and hot air getting out. When Rex asks you to pull his finger, the fart comes out of his mouth. Please, get the guy a tongue piercing. At least then I won't understand the stupid stuff he says.

fool me once shame on u fool me twice shame on me.
    Last edited by jeT.MAC; 01-26-2013 at 12:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jeT.MAC View Post
    fool me once shame on u shame me twice shame on me.
    Ain't that the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    I just realized, today, that this is absolutely how this offseason is going to pan out.

Cutting him is out, he's too expensive under any projected cap-hit-scenario-projection I've read.

Trading him is out, for much the same reason (and because no one else wants to pay him).

So that means we're keeping him.

And if we're keeping him, he is not going to be the #2. He's just not.

Mark Sanchez is going to get another full year to win or lose as a Jet, fan reaction be damned. In a new Morning-Whig System that depends heavily on a timely, accurate, quick-reading Quareterback.

Dreams (of some) for Flynn, or Alex Smith, or Moore, or any of the various lolJag's in the "related to Morning-Whig or new QB Coach" thread are just that, dreams.

At most, and journeyman will be brought in to replace Tebow (maybe) as the #2, and "challenge" Sanchez, i.e. not challenge him at all.

And Mark will be our opening day Starter at QB.

Worse, I think there is every possabillity we could open the 2013 season with BOTH Sanchez AND Tebow on the roster.
    I disagree. Not saying that it cannot happen, it definitely could just the way you say it. I just believe that there is no way the Jets CS will want to deal with Sanchez any further. Also, it won't take much in the way of a veteran QB to bench Sanchez. MANY QB's with relatively little talent will beat out Sanchez in an all out QB competition.

All League

He came aboard as a junior in college, a 22 year old NFL starter, no clipboard time, no mentor to learn behind, so he picked up some bad habits and the coaching staff didn't correct them in Years 1 or 2.

By Years 3 and 4 the supporting staff got so bad, all his targets were banished, his OC changed, and so just trying to keep up with all the new faces and all the new plays was taxing enough, no time for getting the fundamentals right.

"Accuracy" is dependent upon a WR running the right routes. "Pocket presence" isn't an issue when the QB is never asked to run for his life. Could be that Mark was asked to do too much with crap and couldn't get his own act together in the process.
    He's worth another look, that's all I'm saying. Very hard to find a franchise QB, if he's got a 30% chance or a 10% chance to be good, we have to find out.

SAR I
    Funny that with Pennington you wanted anyone else (Clemens) and did not care to offer the look to see if the 10% chance was there. Neither did I.

It is most likely because Mark has shown he has the physical tools (although his height is starting to affect him seeing the field and getting balls past the LOS) whereas Pennington had everything but the physical tools. Mark is still young and can learn but unless he puts up career numbers this year there will be too much pressure to cut bait.

My vote is an Alex Smith/Mark Sanchez competition for this year. I think we can make due with our WRs now and Mark knows them all well enough. We need to add a #1 RB along with Delanie Walker and OL upgrades IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    I disagree. Not saying that it cannot happen, it definitely could just the way you say it. I just believe that there is no way the Jets CS will want to deal with Sanchez any further. Also, it won't take much in the way of a veteran QB to bench Sanchez. MANY QB's with relatively little talent will beat out Sanchez in an all out QB competition.
    I hope Izzy doesn't ***** out and bring in some nobody to "challenge" Mark for the job.

Hopefully, whomever we bring in as the new backup will be able to unseat Sanchez so we don't have to watch the Butt Fumbler do his thing.

Jets Insider VIP
    FML. You're right.

I prefer starting tebow over Sanchez.

Quote Originally Posted by jps1012 View Post
    I prefer starting tebow over Sanchez.
    Ha! Stop reading my mind.

Sanchez: He's a project now, no question, due to the neglect and the mismanagement. Third OC in three years, no cash to sign a strong WR or two, this season still may not give us a true read on his abilities.

Tebow: If the guy only could throw accurately he'd be Top 5 material. Very frustrating. For you, the hope is that he lands on a team that wants to dedicate themselves to the Denver set that he ran so effectively in 2011.

SAR I
    Nice post SAR ... I agree with all of this.(except the jibe at Rex) I would prefer that Mark be relegated to permanent backup role until he has clearly distanced himself from his competitors... Whomever they may be ... If Tebow is with us ... I would prefer him to start over Sanchez until Mark proves he is starter material.
    Last edited by Dunnie; 01-26-2013 at 06:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    Nice post SAR ... I agree with all of this.(except the jibe at Rex) I would prefer that Mark be relegated to permanent backup role until he has clearly distanced himself from his competitors... Whomever they may be ... If Tebow is with us ... I would prefer him to start over Sanchez until Mark proves he is starter material.
    Yeah, it might even help Mark if the pressure is taken off him for a bit. Sometimes he looked like he was carrying the weight of the world on his shoulders. I still give him props for pulling his head out of Brandon Moore's butt and carrying on with the game. He could've faked a whiplash injury or a jammed finger, but he finished out the game.

That reminds me - I've thought of another humiliating position Rex can have Tebow play: Personal Butt Protector. Tebow has to stay between Mark and any butt that looms nearby except for the center's butt. If Tebow gets too close to the center's butt he might accidentally get a snap, which would destroy Rex's master plan bwahaha

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by JaxSuzy View Post
    Yeah, it might even help Mark if the pressure is taken off him for a bit. Sometimes he looked like he was carrying the weight of the world on his shoulders. I still give him props for pulling his head out of Brandon Moore's butt and carrying on with the game. He could've faked a whiplash injury or a jammed finger That reminds me - I've thought of another humiliating position Rex can have Tebow play: Personal Butt Protector. Tebow has to stay between Mark and any butt that looms nearby except for the center's butt. If Tebow gets too close to the center's butt he might accidentally get a snap, which would destroy Rex's master plan bwahaha
    Or been called a brown noser..

SAR I
    But he IS NOT worth another look. He simply does not really do anything well and nothing exceptionally. The ONLY thing he has going for him is his original draft position and playing pretty well in a couple but not all of the playoff games. He just needs to be gone. But it sounds like Rex is talking him up to Idzik for no apparent reason so who know you may get your nightmare wish

Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    But he IS NOT worth another look. He simply does not really do anything well and nothing exceptionally. The ONLY thing he has going for him is his original draft position and playing pretty well in a couple but not all of the playoff games. He just needs to be gone. But it sounds like Rex is talking him up to Idzik for no apparent reason so who know you may get your nightmare wish
    Rex has some sort of strange nepotistic relationship Mark ... Creepy.