Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Mark Sanchez will be our #1 QB in 2013

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Mark Sanchez will be our #1 QB in 2013

I just realized, today, that this is absolutely how this offseason is going to pan out.

Cutting him is out, he's too expensive under any projected cap-hit-scenario-projection I've read.

Trading him is out, for much the same reason (and because no one else wants to pay him).

So that means we're keeping him.

And if we're keeping him, he is not going to be the #2. He's just not.

Mark Sanchez is going to get another full year to win or lose as a Jet, fan reaction be damned. In a new Morning-Whig System that depends heavily on a timely, accurate, quick-reading Quareterback.

Dreams (of some) for Flynn, or Alex Smith, or Moore, or any of the various lolJag's in the "related to Morning-Whig or new QB Coach" thread are just that, dreams.

At most, and journeyman will be brought in to replace Tebow (maybe) as the #2, and "challenge" Sanchez, i.e. not challenge him at all.

And Mark will be our opening day Starter at QB.

Worse, I think there is every possabillity we could open the 2013 season with BOTH Sanchez AND Tebow on the roster.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    I just realized, today, that this is absolutely how this offseason is going to pan out.

Cutting him is out, he's too expensive under any projected cap-hit-scenario-projection I've read.

Trading him is out, for much the same reason (and because no one else wants to pay him).

Mark Sanchez is going to get another full year to win or lose as a Jet, fan reaction be damned. In a new Morning-Whig System that depends heavily on a timely, accurate, quick-reading Quareterback.

Dreams (of some) for Flynn, or Alex Smith, or Moore, or any of the various lolJag's in the "related to Morning-Whig or new QB Coach" thread are just that, dreams.

At most, and journeyman will be brought in to replace Tebow (maybe) as the #2, and "challenge" Sanchez, i.e. not challenge him at all.

Worse, I think there is every possabillity we could open the 2013 season with BOTH Sanchez AND Tebow on the roster.
    Sanchez was not given support and undermined.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree that Sanchez will be on the team next year and that most likely none of the Flynn, Smith or any vet QBs making decent money will be here. I do think the Jets will draft a kid this year. That being said, IF Sanchez does start the season, I do not think he is going to be given the whole season. If he plays like he did this past season, they will go to the rookie. They can not allow him play like that for the entire season, they just cant.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

It is sad MT royally F-ed the Jets for next year by that horrible extention he gave Sanchez..If it was the same price on the cap to cut or keep him he would surely be cut.. But double the cap if we cut him no way.. Did his agent know he was going to be this terrible and MT was too stupid to see it? Sure looks that way..

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Warfish, why ruin everyone's day and disposition?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Agree that Sanchez will be on the team next year and that most likely none of the Flynn, Smith or any vet QBs making decent money will be here. I do think the Jets will draft a kid this year. That being said, IF Sanchez does start the season, I do not think he is going to be given the whole season. If he plays like he did this past season, they will go to the rookie. They can not allow him play like that for the entire season, they just cant.
    I don't think Jet fans will stand for Sanchez being the opening day starter. I mentioned this in another thread, but no team can allow their QB to be incessantly booed at home. And Jet fans will be all over Sanchez.

I agree he'll be on the team, we have no choice, but I don't him as the number 1 guy.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think we should cut Mcelroy/Tebow. Keep Sanchez and bring in a veteran QB. I think a QB like Flynn/Moore would rather come to the Jets to back up Sanchez knowing that they will have a good chance of succeeding him versus going to a team with a rookie QB that will likely overtake them once again (Flynn/Moore's situation last year with Wilson and Tannehill) or backing up a stud QB.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    I don't think Jet fans will stand for Sanchez being the opening day starter. I mentioned this in another thread, but no team can allow their QB to be incessantly booed at home. And Jet fans will be all over Sanchez.

I agree he'll be on the team, we have no choice, but I don't him as the number 1 guy.
    He has given so many chances.. why not give ANYONE else chance? Credit Carroll for given wilson a chance and not worrying about flynn's contract.. Kapernick got his chance.. People defend mark and say tebow pressured him in a negative way lol.. grow a pair mark.. Harbaugh told the media Kapernick is my starter this week, doesnt mean he will be next week.. Thats not negative pressure for a rookie? He rose up.. Wilson Im sure had a short leash.. Vick didnt have much time to prove himself 2 years ago when kolb was hurt.. List goes on and On..

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    I think we should cut Mcelroy/Tebow. Keep Sanchez and bring in a veteran QB. I think a QB like Flynn/Moore would rather come to the Jets to back up Sanchez knowing that they will have a good chance of succeeding him versus going to a team with a rookie QB that will likely overtake them once again (Flynn/Moore's situation last year with Wilson and Tannehill) or backing up a stud QB.
    But Flynn/Moore would be right back in that situation because the conventional wisdom is that WHOEVER comes in this year is a placeholder. Including Mark.

Could Flynn or Moore suddenly be the 'next-big-thing'? Possibly but - gawd - I for one don't want another Boomer-esque run of years with a muddle-through QB. I'm all for finding the next QB who has a chance at elite-ness.

It's cheaper/easier/better to just keep Sanchez in place.

THIS is what bad teams do unfortunately. Like Jacksonville had to suffer through with Henne this year. And Indy with Painter last year. It comes with the 'rebuilding' territory

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Tebow would ask for his release no way would he go through another year like 2012.. That's if the team doesn't find a nutty GM and trade him..

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

I think it could play out this way. But I really don't think it's a given. Rex's career as a HC of the NYJ is on the line. He's going to play the best guy. It just may be that Sanchez is the best QB we have on our roster. It's sad but we don't have many places to go. Either way, Sanchez will be on a very very short leash. We'll know pretty soon. If we make a trade for someone, Sanchez will be on the bench. If we draft somoene and he looks good in pre season, Sanchez will be on the bench. And if the draftee doesn't start, he'll play early if Sanchez fails.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    In all likelihood, you are correct.

The Jets will keep Sanchez, draft a quarterback in the top 3 rounds, and have an open competition for the starting job.

Rex will announce Sanchez as the starter in mid August, and the justification will once again be that he "gives us the best chance to win."

There is still a very small amount of hope that Idzik decides to go into full blown rebuild mode and cuts Sanchez, but I'm definitely not counting on it.

The awful contract handed to Sanchez last offseason is his saving grace.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tebow will be gone, McElroy will be retained, Jets will draft a QB, Sanchez will be retained. We may or may not sign a vet QB. If Sanchez goes into the year as the starter the team is doomed and the season is lost.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know about anyone else, but are you growing weary of hearing about Mark Sanchez, Tim Tebow, and Rex Ryan?????

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I almost got destroyed here 4 starting a thread a week ago that said Sanchez will lead the jets to the SB.. I like it!

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    I think it could play out this way. But I really don't think it's a given. Rex's career as a HC of the NYJ is on the line. He's going to play the best guy. It just may be that Sanchez is the best QB we have on our roster. It's sad but we don't have many places to go. Either way, Sanchez will be on a very very short leash. We'll know pretty soon. If we make a trade for someone, Sanchez will be on the bench. If we draft somoene and he looks good in pre season, Sanchez will be on the bench. And if the draftee doesn't start, he'll play early if Sanchez fails.
    It's a combination of factors:

1. Sanchez's cost and low-market-value. It's all-but-insurmountable.

2. Rex's affection and faith in Mark. Rex may believe that Mark will thrive under the NEW system in ways he couldn't under Shotty/Sparano.

3. A lack of external options. Options that might be acceptable cost too much. Options that do not cost too much are generally unacceptable.

4. Building the future, generally, doesn't involve bringing in veteran jag journeymen for one-year stints when you have an uncuttable, untradeable veteran jag already ont he roster at a massive cap figure.

5. We're all buy guaranteed to draft a QB, and probably not high either. A mid-rounder won't be given the #1 job, and probably won't beat out Sanchez in camp. Sanchez would have to fail, alot, to lose the job to a rookie.

6. A wily GM will see that a failed Rex/Sanchez 2013 offers him a perfect clean slate in 2014 and beyond, new Coach, new QB, both selected by HIM. His team, not Tanny/Rex's. He won't seek that out on purpose, but if he's as smart as he is reported, he'll use it to his advantage if it comes to pass.

It's a Perfect Storm. Mark Sanchez will be the #1 opening day.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jeT.MAC View Post
    I almost got destroyed here 4 starting a thread a week ago that said Sanchez will lead the jets to the SB.. I like it!
    If he gets a CDL he can drive the bus..

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's possible but i think the fanbase will dictate this. If you've been to a game, you'd know that Sanchez is truly hated. He will hopefully be our #2 behind someone we pick up. The thing that worries me is if Rex declares an "open competition". Anyone that has followed Sanchez throughout his career knows he's just a camp superstar that can't duplicate it on the field.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it is a possibility but not necessarily a likelihood. A few factors to consider:

1. Woody was to reported to support moving to McElroy but Rex moved back to Sanchez
    2. Woody and Rex were VERY non-commital to Sanchez in the news conference even going so far as to see contracts would not affect the decision
    3. Rex acknowledged that he thought it was quite possible he would get fired, and the primary reason for that was the play of Sanchez. If Sanchez is not forced on him to play because of contract which number 1 and number 2 point to, he is unlikely to want to attach his star to Sanchez again even despite his incredible loyalty to certain players
    4. Idzik comes from a team that just prospered with a larger dead salary at QB position. In the end it does not matter much if Sanchez is a backup or off the team it is largely the same dead money. So I would think Idzik would be willing to do that again with a drafted rookie or possibly Flynn.
    5. Playing Sanchez undermines all the moves that they have made which point to a new QB: new OC with dramatically new system, new QB coach and new GM

Unless the Jets are set on Sanchez already I think it is slightly more likely that they move on then trying to start him again next year. Fan reaction would be horrible, and Woody seems to be willing to eat the money. It may be the main reason Tanny was fired, Sanchezs contract that is.

I think a Flynn trade is very possible, and I think we draft at least 1 QB this year possibly 2.

If I had to bet, I would say Sanchez is not a Jet next season for all the reasons above.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rayzor View Post
    It's possible but i think the fanbase will dictate this. If you've been to a game, you'd know that Sanchez is truly hated. He will hopefully be our #2 behind someone we pick up. The thing that worries me is if Rex declares an "open competition". Anyone that has followed Sanchez throughout his career knows he's just a camp superstar that can't duplicate it on the field.
    Chaddy was the opposite he could never beat out Vinny in camp..