Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Mark Sanchez will be our #1 QB in 2013

Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    I don't think Jet fans will stand for Sanchez being the opening day starter. I mentioned this in another thread, but no team can allow their QB to be incessantly booed at home. And Jet fans will be all over Sanchez.

I agree he'll be on the team, we have no choice, but I don't him as the number 1 guy.
    Same, this is wild speculation by Warfish, even moreso considering that Idzik hasn't even made public comments about Sanchez or the QB position yet. You think a guy from a team that just turned its fortunes around by bringing in QB talent last season is going to just be happily content with Mark freakin Sanchez as his starter? Just implausible. The fanbase won't stand for it either, Mark would be booed opening game before he took a single snap.

Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    I just realized, today, that this is absolutely how this offseason is going to pan out.

Cutting him is out, he's too expensive under any projected cap-hit-scenario-projection I've read.

Trading him is out, for much the same reason (and because no one else wants to pay him).

So that means we're keeping him.

And if we're keeping him, he is not going to be the #2. He's just not.

Mark Sanchez is going to get another full year to win or lose as a Jet, fan reaction be damned. In a new Morning-Whig System that depends heavily on a timely, accurate, quick-reading Quareterback.

Dreams (of some) for Flynn, or Alex Smith, or Moore, or any of the various lolJag's in the "related to Morning-Whig or new QB Coach" thread are just that, dreams.

At most, and journeyman will be brought in to replace Tebow (maybe) as the #2, and "challenge" Sanchez, i.e. not challenge him at all.

And Mark will be our opening day Starter at QB.

Worse, I think there is every possabillity we could open the 2013 season with BOTH Sanchez AND Tebow on the roster.
    I have come to assume this will happen too. Its amazing bc it was obvious to me that the franchise was done with him and might even cut him and swallow the hit - just to shake the disease. And it is a disease.

My father - a 70 year old jet fan former season ticket holder in the old stadium said he'll root for another team if sanchez is the starter....

Thing is, I actually think sanchez can succeed in MM's system. And I almost don't want him to.

And when MS comes out as the starter, what will ppl say. Rex Ryan is to blame? Ryan has no choice. Tannenbaum's contract will have made it unavoidable.

Again and again and again, how much more do any of us need to see of Mark to know he cannot handle NY.
    Rex was as pissed as I have ever seen him after that last game. The look he gave Mark could kill. I think it's fair to say Rex will make damn sure he has a solid QB on this roster next season. I think the days of " Mark gives us our best chance to win" are over, thank God.
    I certainly would not count out GMac too quickly either. The new offensive system plays right into his strengths. The last thing Woody needs is a half empty house booing the hell out of the product he puts on the field. I say again with just an average QB last season we win at least three maybe four more games. This in spite of the lack of talent overall on the Jets.

Thiink you will see something similar to what Giants did with Eli in his rookie year when Warner was here. Jets draft a qb, start to groom him with new OC and QB coach, and hope Sanchez improves with the new regime. If not, after 7-9 games, make the change, and hope rookie is your guy for the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vader View Post
    I have come to assume this will happen too. Its amazing bc it was obvious to me that the franchise was done with him and might even cut him and swallow the hit - just to shake the disease. And it is a disease.

My father - a 70 year old jet fan former season ticket holder in the old stadium said he'll root for another team if sanchez is the starter....

Thing is, I actually think sanchez can succeed in MM's system. And I almost don't want him to.

And when MS comes out as the starter, what will ppl say. Rex Ryan is to blame? Ryan has no choice. Tannenbaum's contract will have made it unavoidable.
    Nothing worse than going 8-8 (missing the playoffs) and being stuck with a below average QB.

Sadly if Sanchez starts, that's about where the Jets are going to be at.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

I say cut him before June 1st. Take the big so he's not weighing against us in 2014/15. Get him entirely off the books this year.
    Not happening. Too much dead money. $17.1m this year v. $4.8m if they cut him next year.

He'll be on the roster, but he won't be starting.

He will get beat out by a 2nd or 3rd rounder drafted this year with a big arm.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Same, this is wild speculation by Warfish, even moreso considering that Idzik hasn't even made public comments about Sanchez or the QB position yet. You think a guy from a team that just turned its fortunes around by bringing in QB talent last season is going to just be happily content with Mark freakin Sanchez as his starter? Just implausible. The fanbase won't stand for it either, Mark would be booed opening game before he took a single snap.
    I agree with your entire post.

1) Let's hear what Idzik has to say before jumping to this awful conclusion.

2) Just based upon last season alone he must clearly understand how different a team is with productive QB play and that those QB's are out there.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    They can not allow him play like that for the entire season, they just cant.
    They just did........ this past season

All League
    Rex knows he gets fired if we don't do well next year. He'll ask his new OC who he thinks gives them a best shot to win after preseason games and goes with that.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post
    Not happening. Too much dead money. $17.1m this year v. $4.8m if they cut him next year.
    Well I think the premise was that IF you are going to cut him after June 1 and take a 12.8 million dollar hit this year and a 4.8 million dollar hit in 2014, then you might as well just take the whole 17 million this year and then be done with it.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark99 View Post
    Sanchez was not given support and undermined.
    and that is why he went to two AFCCGs. What a line of BS.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    well said and I totally agree with you! Too many Sanchez fans are trying to build up support for their hero. It will not work! He has to win the job by playing brilliantly in preseason. If there are any missteps, he will be done

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    well said and I totally agree with you! Too many Sanchez fans are trying to build up support for their hero. It will not work! He has to win the job by playing brilliantly in preseason. If there are any missteps, he will be done
    There are no Sanchez fans left. But To think that this offensive roster ( pun intended) can remain as is, is just nuts. Sanchez must go, but he had nothing to work with. Schillens, Gates and the Mcknights of the world must never return.

Why carry $4.8 in 14/15 when you don't have to? Make this upcoming the year we clean house. Get rid of all the dead weight and start over in 14/15

$4.8mm in 14/15 can maybe allow us keep Revis...or spend on a quality RB, TE etc...

Jets Insider VIP
    I agree with your numbers, but not necessarily with the conclusion.

Our choices on Sanchez are:
    • $17.1m in 2013 followed by $4.8m in 2014.
    • $21.9m in 2013 followed by $0 in 2014.

In the first scenario he would be around in 2013, whether on the bench or on the field. In the second scenario we get VERY limited 2013 flexibility as the price for a fully repaired cap scenario in 2014.

If Idzik is convinced that Sanchez won't pan out, he can go with option #2. The reason that I bet on option #1 is that its difficult to convince yourself that Sanchez could never work out. Thus, you probably keep him on the team, just in case...

All Pro
    Make this upcoming the year we clean house. Get rid of all the dead weight and start over in 14/15.
    This would be an ideal scenario, but do you really think it will happen?

If Idzik comes in and cleans house, I'll be very impressed and pleasantly surprised. I'm just not convinced that he has that sort of power within the organization. JMO, Woody and Rex will be pushing for retooling instead of a full rebuild.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenGeek View Post
    I agree with your numbers, but not necessarily with the conclusion.

Our choices on Sanchez are:
    • $17.1m in 2013 followed by $4.8m in 2014.
    • $21.9m in 2013 followed by $0 in 2014.

In the first scenario he would be around in 2013, whether on the bench or on the field. In the second scenario we get VERY limited 2013 flexibility as the price for a fully repaired cap scenario in 2014.

If Idzik is convinced that Sanchez won't pan out, he can go with option #2. The reason that I bet on option #1 is that its difficult to convince yourself that Sanchez could never work out. Thus, you probably keep him on the team, just in case...
    I don't believe it's actually that bad...

option 1 would be 12 in 2013 and 4.8 in 2014
    option 2 would be 17 in 2013 and O in 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Shark99 View Post
    Sanchez was not given support and undermined.

Man totally agreed!

Shottenheimer was too confusing, and Sparano had no experience.

Marty Morninghweg (sp?) has a clue and has accomplished it before.

Sanchez has talent. Hopefully they havent turned him into a littl b!t(h with this Tebow nonsense this year, and hopefully they can find a way to legitamitely and effectively use them both IF they are both on the roster next season.

Hypothetical Future:

1. Sanchez is Retained.
    2. A QB is drafted in the middle-rounds
    3. McEljoke is Retained.

4. Jets Draft O-line, RB and WR with high picks (rounds 1, 2 and 3).

Jets O in 2013 is then:

QB - Sanchez
    RB - Powell
    RB - Draft Pick
    RB - McKnight
    WR - Holmes
    WR - Draft Pick
    WR - Kerley
    WR - Hill
    TE - Keller (Resigned)/Cumberland (Resigned)
    OLine Keeps Mangold, D'Brick core, adds Draft Pick and FA's as needed.

D gets little attention, resign one Safety, Draft LB mid-late rounds. Youth on Roster replaces aged on roster.

Can this O, under the new leadership of Morning-Whig, be a competative O or not? Is there enough talent? Can Sanchez manage it under a new way of doing business, with his career on the line?

Mornig-whig has a resume of Top-10 Offenses like Rex has one of Top-10 Defenses.

So the question is, can HE salvage Mark Sanchez, if sanchez is given more talent around him in a few key select spots?