Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We need picks

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

We need picks

and luckily we have a lot of different ways we could load them up.

With the draft as deep as it has been in the middle rounds in years, what do you think would be our best bet to accumulate more picks? I've got a couple ideas but I'll see if anyone wants to bite on this first.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Best pick:

Trade the #9 pick in the 2013 draft for somebody's first rounder next year.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Other than the Pats who have a HoF coach and QB, what team can you say built itself on trading down and stock piling picks? We need play makers. If there aren't any on the board, then trade down if you think you can get a guy you want later. But trading down for the sake of trading down is moronic.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegi5894 View Post

With the draft as deep as it has been in the middle rounds in years, what do you think would be our best bet to accumulate more picks? I've got a couple ideas but I'll see if anyone wants to bite on this first.
    We need to do a better job with the picks we have before we start getting more. The 2010 draft almost entirely is a bust. Our poor use of picks 5 to 7 every year etc....

Kerley is the type of player we should get with a 5th round. So is Wilson but that's my point.

I bet your thinking dump Revis for picks.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    We need to do a better job with the picks we have before we start getting more. The 2010 draft almost entirely is a bust. Our poor use of picks 5 to 7 every year etc....

Kerley is the type of player we should get with a 5th round. So is Wilson but that's my point.

lol please you can't expect to consistently get starting caliber players int he 5th - 7th rounds. Both Wilson and Kerley are very good, above average, starters.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chupa View Post
    Other than the Pats who have a HoF coach and QB, what team can you say built itself on trading down and stock piling picks? We need play makers. If there aren't any on the board, then trade down if you think you can get a guy you want later. But trading down for the sake of trading down is moronic.
    The Pats have not "built themselves' on trading down. Frankly for all the "league wide chatter" about how great their drafts are, what have the players actually done.

The Pats have had basically the top offense in the leage the past 3 years and have used all their "trade downs" to go after defensive players to shore up their secondary and overall unit, to virtually no avail.

The all-hyped Chanlder Jones was ineffective and banged up down the stretch. Hightower had 2 tackles against baltimore and denard was part of the secondary that got torched. I dont even know where ras-I Dowling and cunningham did nothing.

Fortunately the pats hit on the 2 Tightends, but they have brady....thats why they keep winning, not because of their drafting.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

If you are the GM, and you see that you have many slots to fill in 2014 and 1 player will demand and command a lot of money in 2014, it might not be a bad strategy. Odds are Revis will come back at full strength, I doubt he holds out - has prove he is back at full strength to position himself for the next deal -, and his market value will be high. Odds are you can't sign him, or shouldn't in 2014, he just ties up too much money. Why let him hit free agency in 2014. If you don't believe 2013 is going to be a contention year, make the trade and get the picks?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    Best pick:

Trade the #9 pick in the 2013 draft for somebody's first rounder next year.
    So you want a brand new GM to come in and basically punt on his first big decision? Not going to happen. What if that team ends up drafting a really good player at 9 and the team ends up finishing 10-6 next year leaving you with a pick in the mid 20s next year.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The pats have been trading down and accumulating picks for 6-7 years now and they still haven't been able to build a solid team around an all time great QB. With our drafting, Rex Ryan, and a QB like Brady we would also win 10-11 games a year.

I am ok with trading down when the situation dicatates, but when its your "patented move" it loses its effect. Eventually you wwant to use those picks to trade up and land a stud.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    The Pats have not "built themselves' on trading down. Frankly for all the "league wide chatter" about how great their drafts are, what have the players actually done.

The Pats have had basically the top offense in the leage the past 3 years and have used all their "trade downs" to go after defensive players to shore up their secondary and overall unit, to virtually no avail.

The all-hyped Chanlder Jones was ineffective and banged up down the stretch. Hightower had 2 tackles against baltimore and denard was part of the secondary that got torched. I dont even know where ras-I Dowling and cunningham did nothing.

Fortunately the pats hit on the 2 Tightends, but they have brady....thats why they keep winning, not because of their drafting.
    Well, they did draft the two TE's, right?

Chandler Jones showed great promise before his injury, but never got back to full health. Dennard was a heist in Round 7. The Pats secondary is still mediocre at best, but it was not Dennard's fault. He definitely looks like part of the solution, not the problem. Ridley was a steal in Round 3. Vereen has shown flashes, but jury is still out. Solder and Vollmer were both solid picks. McCourty now looks like he's an above-average S instead of a routinely toasted CB.

Hightower showed an aptitude for sniffing out trick plays, but otherwise was mostly invisible. He needs to improve next year or begin to fight the "BUST" label. Dowling probably has one last chance after an injury-prone career. Cunningham may have played his last game as a Patriot.

Plenty of busts in recent years too -- Butler, Brace, Chung, etc. (and that's just one round of a single draft, lol). Overall, they have been pretty good in the draft lately, especially since Pioli left. I agree, though, that it's a major stretch to say that they've "built themselves" on trading down. Brady, two major hits on the TE, plus a handful of very solid picks over the last few years have combined to keep them in playoff contention.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    So you want a brand new GM to come in and basically punt on his first big decision? Not going to happen. What if that team ends up drafting a really good player at 9 and the team ends up finishing 10-6 next year leaving you with a pick in the mid 20s next year.
    that trade would never happen. If anything, it would be a late first or early 2nd this year & a 2014 first rounder. You don't trade the #9 pick away solely for a pick a year from now without any kind of guarantee where you'll end up picking.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegi5894 View Post

Agree. I think we should trade down out of #9 and accumulate picks.
    Then, I would use my 1st pick in 2nd round somewhere on Gio Bernard, UNC RB and a perfect WCO RB for our new system

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am not necessarily talking only about trading down, but that is obviously one of the big options out there.

I would trade down to about 18-19 and pick up another 2nd most likely, and then take Cooper the guard or the best OLB available at that spot.

Whether we do that or not, I think we could manufacture some 2nd and third round picks in other ways, for instance if we were to franchise keller and then send him off for (hopefully) a 2nd rounder or 3rd rounder. We could almost definitely get a 2nd rounder for Cro as well, who's absence could be ameliorated by potentially resigning Landry (taking cro off the cap allows for more cap room as well), and even picking up a high risk player like honey badger in the VERY LATE ROUNDS (don't flame me ok, I have no problem with experimenting on a proven talent in the 6th or 7th round).

There's also a glimmer of hope that we could get a 4th/5th round pick for Tebow, but I'm not relying on that in any way.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm being optimistic in thinking that with a new GM, picks won't be squandered quite so often, although if you disagree, I can't really refute your point. I think getting Idzik a lot of picks in his first year will only allow us to get a better feel of his ability to draft, earlier on, and hopefully also give him some more opportunities to really hit on a player.

I am not at all for trading revis, although as I've stated, and as I've stated on this board in the past, I think trading cro (although I'm a fan of his) could really net us a great player. Cro's value is higher than it has ever been in his career and probably higher than it ever will be. While he'd be great to have, he's also somewhat expensive (yes so is revis, but you never get players like revis, literally, so his value to me is justified), and we could also lessen his absence through quality safety play and (ugh, yes) Kyle Wilson, who is at least serviceable as the #2 and is a very good tackler.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I did post in the Draft forum a trade down from the #9 spot to the 20th. And the Jets receiving 4-5 picks for an equal trade value of 1350. I used the 2012 draft value chart as an example of what Jets could get in return for a trade down.

A trade like this probably won't happen. Cause the top 10 is very weak. But you never know. A team may covet a Joeckel or Werner, and be willing to pay the price.

http://www.draftinsider.net/forum/sh...Upcoming-Draft

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    We have round 1 = #9
    round 2 = #39 ( we get 7th in rd 2)

That could be 2 good replacements right there.

FAs, renegotiate a few contracts, make a trade or two and who knows.....
    never give up hope.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post

You're agreeing with me. The only reason the Pats trading down appears to work is because they have Brady and Belicheat. There drafts have been mostly mediocre.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    You're agreeing with me. The only reason the Pats trading down appears to work is because they have Brady and Belicheat. There drafts have been mostly mediocre.
    I totally agree that the pats' drafting ability is not nearly as good as the media makes it out to be. The way they stockpile picks and never use them doesn't really seem to work, sure they hit on some people but not in any incredible way that separates them from the pack.

The reason I say we need picks is because we need to get young (especially on D) and FAST. we've got both our starting OLBs leaving most likely next year and need to infuse youth and talent into our team, if we are really going to make a run in a few years, THIS is the year to get more rookies in and develop them. Not to mention, if we do so by trading some players for picks and remove that money from the cap, we're killing two birds with one stone.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    We have round 1 = #9
    round 2 = #39 ( we get 7th in rd 2)

That could be 2 good replacements right there.

FAs, renegotiate a few contracts, make a trade or two and who knows.....
    never give up hope.
    Yup, people who think this will take 3 or 4 years to fix don't follow the NFL. It COULD take 3-4 years but things can also improve overnight if we hit on a couple of our picks this year and, MOST IMPORTANTLY, get solid QB play. The Colts improved dramatically with better QB play. And its not like Luck performed at an elite level (23tds/18 ints and a 76 QB rating is not that great) but he was so much better than what they had at QB the year before that they improved significantly. The Jets have a better all around team than the Colts (we did torch them 35-9) so we really just need marginal QB play to be back in the playoff hunt next year.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jimmy Johnson and Bill Parcells both did this although Johnson did a better job of it than Parcells. With that being said, Parcells did find a starting nose tackle (Fergeson) in round 7.