Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Eric Fisher, T, Central Michigan

All Pro
    The Jets 1st round pick needs to be at a premium position, and since no QB is available, the next best premium position is LT. If this kid has the talent every is saying he has, we should take him and not even look back. If this kid is blocking the SEC defenders at the Senior Bowl, what more does he have to prove.

The Jets need to fix the offense by getting a QB and fixing the OL. Take the best premium position player and wait until the next pick and see what's available. If u can get a late 1st or early 2nd for Revis take it and move on . Anything worst, and it's not worth entertaining.

OH, and Brick Ferguson is the something the Jets can't live without.

All League
    I'd be all for taking him at 9 if he's there. I'm also estatic that his stock is rising. Lots of teams ahead of us that need OL. The higher his asscent, the better chances one of Jones or Moore slide to us. If they don't and he does last til 9, I'm good too. It's a win win for the Jets having a player at this position climb in draft stock.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I respect your opinion but do you care to give a reason?

I think most of us are making the argument that we need to strengthen our OL. The OL is the foundation of the team. Just look at the 49ers with three 1st rounders on the OL.
    We have a left tackle, a good one. All you need from a Rt is a guy not to stink and we saw that last year when Austin took over from Hunter the speed bump.

Guards? Yup,the top rate guy sounds very good but just how huge of players are iaputi and some of the other mid to late first rounders?

We need skilled play makers on offense and defense as well as helping the oline. 9 is the place you get the aldon smiths, von millers, etc. I wouldn't be happy with a guard at 9 but i could maybe live with it but the guy better be a career pro bowler.

Tackle, not at all.

Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    Usually people say the opposite. Taking a guard in the top 10 is very rare but top notch Tackles are pretty common in the top 10. Howard was ok last year, but if we could get an all pro tackle at 9 that could move to RT, i would be ok with that.
    LEFT TACKLES are taken in the top 10, not right tackles when you already have a very good LT on the team.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    So no O-linemen, what position then?
    OLB hopefully. We literally have no nfl quality guys for olb right now. We have had no outside pass rush for a number of years. Our offense sucks and we need to buuld that you say? for sure, in my 1st mock i had us going offense 2nd and 3rd round.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    The Jets 1st round pick needs to be at a premium position, and since no QB is available, the next best premium position is LT. If this kid has the talent every is saying he has, we should take him and not even look back. If this kid is blocking the SEC defenders at the Senior Bowl, what more does he have to prove.

The Jets need to fix the offense by getting a QB and fixing the OL. Take the best premium position player and wait until the next pick and see what's available. If u can get a late 1st or early 2nd for Revis take it and move on . Anything worst, and it's not worth entertaining.

You're crazy dude. Dbrick is still one of the best pass blocking lt's in the game and it is a fools errand to rid yourself of a LT who you know can play for a draft pick whom you don't know can play. Opeing up a hole on the team just so you can plug it with your 1st rounder does not make you a better team.

Jets Insider VIP
    The only OL that I would consider at #9 is Warmack.

Guy is just a total mauler who annihilates anything in front of him. He doesn't just have pro-bowl upside, he has John Hannah/Mike Munchak upside.

Unless someone like Geno or Moore falls, he's the guy I'd take in Round 1.

I'd rather have a guy who is virtually guaranteed to be a dominant force along the OL for the next decade over the 3rd/4th rated passrusher.

If Rex is such a defensive guru, then why does he need 1st round picks all over the field to put together a Top 10 defense anyway?

Our #1 priority this offseason needs to be improving the offense.

All Pro

You're high.

You've been pushing this philosophy for weeks now and it doesn't make anymore sense today than it did then.

And just because he looks good at the Senior Bowl does not mean he's a can't miss prospect because the best pass rushers in the country -- Moore, Mingo, Montgomery, Jordan -- are not there. He's not facing Julius Peppers or JPP or Aldon Smith this week. He's facing a bunch of other unproven prospects.

Getting rid of a talented and durable LT, who is in his prime, for an unknown is just plain stupid and not worth discussing.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    LEFT TACKLES are taken in the top 10, not right tackles when you already have a very good LT on the team.
    That was true when the guarantee money for players in the top ten were ridiculous. It was just too expensive to justify doing that.
    JMo. That rule went out when the guarantee money did.

I just think if you can put out two top Lt quality left tackles. I don't care what top pass rushers are coming off either corner , you're going to be able to handle that. (Teams can't simply move their top pass rusher to the other side) your able to give your Qb time than it doesn't matter who you have at the skill position , as a Nfl starting Qb should be able to thrive under those situations.

Now you do have top offense weapons to go with that than you are talking about something special on offense.

Jmo if you don't have an elie Qb(top five) this is the way to go. rich Gannon didn't suddenly in.2002 become a League MVP. That Oline he had in front of him played a big part in his success.

This is where your big money should go , and not in the cb position.( AL Davis mistake for years)

BTW - No way you get rid of your Lt if he one of the better ones.. what are you accomplishing substituting one for the other. It being able to put two quality Lt
    bookend tackles out there together. Now your talking about something special.

As A Raider fan Raiders have Veldheer who very good Lt and getting better. I wouldn't hesitate to take Joeckel if he there at three. I instantly upgrade at two positions on the Oline.
    Last edited by Raider9175; 01-24-2013 at 06:36 AM.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    You're crazy dude. Dbrick is still one of the best pass blocking lt's in the game and it is a fools errand to rid yourself of a LT who you know can play for a draft pick whom you don't know can play. Opeing up a hole on the team just so you can plug it with your 1st rounder does not make you a better team.
    Then i guess i am crazy or high.

I am not pushing anything or wishing for anything. What i post is what i would do if i was the GM and the right opportunities presented themselves. I am not trading this player for a 2nd or 3rd round pick. Just like i would not trade Revis for anything lower than a top 5 2nd round pick this year and future consideration that would have to be a 2nd or higher next yr.

This Jet team needs to cut payroll and get younger at the areas of the team that are essential to winning.You need a solid to great QB, a top notch OL with a solid to great defensive front depending on the scheme you're playing.

All the other positions should support those positions, not superseed them.

Then i guess i am crazy or high.

I am not pushing anything or wishing for anything. What i post is what i would do if i was the GM and the right opportunities presented themselves. I am not trading this player for a 2nd or 3rd round pick. Just like i would not trade Revis for anything lower than a top 5 2nd round pick this year and future consideration that would have to be a 2nd or higher next yr.

This Jet team needs to cut payroll and get younger at the areas of the team that are essential to winning.You need a solid to great QB, a top notch OL with a solid to great defensive front depending on the scheme you're playing.

All the other positions should support those positions, not superseed them.
    I'm not taking you to task for you want to get a Qb and best oline you can. I'm taking you to task for how you are suggesting we go about it. DBrick is a reliable if not better LT. It is very tough to find guys that you can plug and play for 10 years at that spot. the math doesn't add up because you want to get rid of a 6th overall pick who is in his prime and we know can play, replace him with a 9th overall pick who will be a rookie whom we don;t know if he play. We end up using our top pick to fill a hole we just created and thus do not get better. We would have to get a kings ransom if we traded Dbrick to justify making move like that, even then it would be risky.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider9175 View Post
    That was true when the guarantee money for players in the top ten were ridiculous. It was just too expensive to justify doing that.
    JMo. That rule went out when the guarantee money did.

I just think if you can put out two top Lt quality left tackles. I don't care what top pass rushers are coming off either corner , you're going to be able to handle that. (Teams can't simply move their top pass rusher to the other side) your able to give your Qb time than it doesn't matter who you have at the skill position , as a Nfl starting Qb should be able to thrive under those situations.

Now you do have top offense weapons to go with that than you are talking about something special on offense.

Jmo if you don't have an elie Qb(top five) this is the way to go. rich Gannon didn't suddenly in.2002 become a League MVP. That Oline he had in front of him played a big part in his success.

This is where your big money should go , and not in the cb position.( AL Davis mistake for years)

BTW - No way you get rid of your Lt if he one of the better ones.. what are you accomplishing substituting one for the other. It being able to put two quality Lt
    bookend tackles out there together. Now your talking about something special.

As A Raider fan Raiders have Veldheer who very good Lt and getting better. I wouldn't hesitate to take Joeckel if he there at three. I instantly upgrade at two positions on the Oline.
    I agree 100%. A premium LT drafted in the top 10, who will be moved to RT, will still be cheaper than signing a very competent RT through free agency. Plus it gives you flexibility should your LT ever gets hurt, or becomes too expensive to keep. With the old CBA and rookie salary structure this was never really a great idea because of the cost. Now it makes a lot of sense.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    I agree 100%. A premium LT drafted in the top 10, who will be moved to RT, will still be cheaper than signing a very competent RT through free agency. Plus it gives you flexibility should your LT ever gets hurt, or becomes too expensive to keep. With the old CBA and rookie salary structure this was never really a great idea because of the cost. Now it makes a lot of sense.
    Also the Nfl is a passing league. If you can put two Lt quality bookend tackles out there than you should be able to handle any pass rushers coming off the corner( in our division Doom and Von miller, Justin Houston and Tambi Hali ). Giving any Qb time going to make his job so much easier. See USC Qb who look great playing with one of the best olines most years.

just imagine two Dbickshaw Ferguson on both sides. you think Sanchez will be a lot more comfortable sitting in the pocket. A Qb with time and even the best cb's can only cover so long.

All Pro
    Also the Nfl is a passing league. If you can put two Lt quality bookend tackles out there than you should be able to handle any pass rushers coming off the corner( in our division Doom and Von miller, Justin Houston and Tambi Hali ). Giving any Qb time going to make his job so much easier. See USC Qb who look great playing with one of the best olines most years.

just imagine two Dbickshaw Ferguson on both sides. you think Sanchez will be a lot more comfortable sitting in the pocket. A Qb with time and even the best cb's can only cover so long.

The problem with this senario is now you can't run the football to either side of the offensive because neither of your OTs can run block.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    He is one of the darlings of the Senior Bowl. His stock is going through the roof right now.

How is his run blocking? Is anyone familiar with this kid?

I am not sure how realistic he would be at #9 considering we already have a LT, but maybe we could move him to RT and move Howard inside.

Or am I talking crazy?
    a lil crazy.

He is one of the darlings of the Senior Bowl. His stock is going through the roof right now.

How is his run blocking? Is anyone familiar with this kid?

I am not sure how realistic he would be at #9 considering we already have a LT, but maybe we could move him to RT and move Howard inside.

Or am I talking crazy?
    Good call, Double-D. This kid is a monster.

The problem with this senario is now you can't run the football to either side of the offensive because neither of your OTs can run block.
    I was talking in pass protection two Brickshaw Ferguson's.. This Fisher kid looks like he can run block and he looks like he very physical.

All Pro
    I was talking in pass protection two Brickshaw Ferguson's.. This Fisher kid looks like he can run block and he looks like he very physical.
    I know and that is why i like him. The LTs in this draft are excellent at both,

I know and that is why i like him. The LTs in this draft are excellent at both,
    I don't know if that the case with Joeckel who isn't as good run blocker as some of these other Lt's seem to be.

All League
    So you're solution is to build our team to run the ball more when the entire league is trending toward making the run game complimentary in their offense thus making a dying element in the NFL offense the focal point

...lol