Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Eric Fisher, T, Central Michigan

Hall Of Fame

Eric Fisher, T, Central Michigan

He is one of the darlings of the Senior Bowl. His stock is going through the roof right now.

How is his run blocking? Is anyone familiar with this kid?

I am not sure how realistic he would be at #9 considering we already have a LT, but maybe we could move him to RT and move Howard inside.

Or am I talking crazy?

Baltimore moved Oher (former first round LT) to RT when they drafted another LT.

It's not a bad move at all. I wouldn't mind going LT....

LT, RT and Center would be studs...fill in guards with solid mid-round picks and you have a VERY solid O-line.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    Baltimore moved Oher (former first round LT) to RT when they drafted another LT.

It's not a bad move at all. I wouldn't mind going LT....

LT, RT and Center would be studs...fill in guards with solid mid-round picks and you have a VERY solid O-line.
    What about moving Howard inside to Guard?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    He is one of the darlings of the Senior Bowl. His stock is going through the roof right now.

How is his run blocking? Is anyone familiar with this kid?

I am not sure how realistic he would be at #9 considering we already have a LT, but maybe we could move him to RT and move Howard inside.

Or am I talking crazy?
    Its not crazy if Brick only had a year left on his contract and you are drafting Fisher as a replacement in a year or two. Given that Brick has at least 3 years left, it is probably unlikely.

What about moving Howard inside to Guard?
    I don't know enough about Howard skill-set to know if it'll translate but either way OT depth is always a good thing to have.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Its not crazy if Brick only had a year left on his contract and you are drafting Fisher as a replacement in a year or two. Given that Brick has at least 3 years left, it is probably unlikely.
    What about taking him and making him a RT?

I am interested in seeing how scouts grade out his run blocking. If he can't run block then that would be a deal breaker. We already have one finesse tackle.

Hall Of Fame
    What about taking him and making him a RT?

I am interested in seeing how scouts grade out his run blocking. If he can't run block then that would be a deal breaker. We already have one finesse tackle.
    He is built like a proto typical LT. Tall and lean with long arms. I wouldnt hate the pick at 9 at all. Just look at the two O-lines that are playing in the Super Bowl. Both have RTs that were once LTs.

He is built like a proto typical LT. Tall and lean with long arms. I wouldnt hate the pick at 9 at all. Just look at the two O-lines that are playing in the Super Bowl. Both have RTs that were once LTs.
    This is what I'm saying. the transition from LT to RT isn't a major one. whether you move Brick or the rookie over will be for the coaches to decide but I would love to see the Jets make a big commitment to the OL..

All League
    He is more valuable to us as potential trade bait. Some team desperate for a LT may give up a lot for our pick.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    This is what I'm saying. the transition from LT to RT isn't a major one. whether you move Brick or the rookie over will be for the coaches to decide but I would love to see the Jets make a big commitment to the OL..
    I agree with that so long as he is a good run blocker. I like the idea of having a RT that is good enough to be a LT. But we need him to be a good run blocker as well.

Part of the reason why I am wondering if Howard can move inside is b.c SF has massive Guards so I do not think he is too big to play Guard. Howard is a little bigger than Iupati.

I really want to see us invest in the OL again. IMO that was a major reason for our success in 2009 and 2010. We invested in the OL in the 2006 draft and in FA in 2008 and it paid off big time.

I'll go ballistic if the Jets take a tackle in the 1st round, especially a LT. This talk of taking a guard at 9 is bad enough, taking a tackle would set me off.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    I'll go ballistic if the Jets take a tackle in the 1st round, especially a LT. This talk of taking a guard at 9 is bad enough, taking a tackle would set me off.
    I respect your opinion but do you care to give a reason?

I think most of us are making the argument that we need to strengthen our OL. The OL is the foundation of the team. Just look at the 49ers with three 1st rounders on the OL.

Hall Of Fame
    So no O-linemen, what position then?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody56 View Post
    He is more valuable to us as potential trade bait. Some team desperate for a LT may give up a lot for our pick.
    Yes. At least I hope so.

Chicago (20) would seem like a good partner to make a trade with. Maybe Indy (24)?

Usually people say the opposite. Taking a guard in the top 10 is very rare but top notch Tackles are pretty common in the top 10. Howard was ok last year, but if we could get an all pro tackle at 9 that could move to RT, i would be ok with that.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    Usually people say the opposite. Taking a guard in the top 10 is very rare but top notch Tackles are pretty common in the top 10. Howard was ok last year, but if we could get an all pro tackle at 9 that could move to RT, i would be ok with that.
    +1. I'm assuming that Beer is making the point that we are set at LT so there's no reason to go there and taking a RT at #9 is far too early.

I understand that point, but don't think you can unilaterally say "No RT at #9", if there was someone clearly worthwhile. Don't know if there is though. Fisher seems like a prototypical LT - pass blocker first. I'd like to see a 6'6 335lb mauler that we can run behind at RT. A more talented Austin Howard, so to speak. Especially if Howard can move inside.

All League
    More players shooting up the boards helps the Jets tremendously

More trade bait and better players dropping to our spot

Remember our New OC is Morinhweg a west coast throw it 60 x a game ... so we might need a Lt to play Rt...

Quote Originally Posted by Woody56 View Post
    The question is Fischer still there at number 9. . The Eagles need a Lt badly and if Joeckel goes number 1 than he might go in the top five.

I want the LT Joeckel at raiders number 3 pick. THE raiders have a very good LT but if they draft Joeckel than Veldheer can move over to the Rt and they strengthen two positions at once. If Joeckel gone I would have no problems(if I was running Raiders draft) dropping back a couple spots and drafting this Fischer kid with the first pick.

A great offense starts up front with a great Oline.

All League
    C s sports line had him ranked 9 overall before this week. He's moved up to 6 since then. I could see trading down with on th board. But if we can't secure enough value, take him put him at RT and slide Howard inside. You now have 80% of the OL solidified for the next several years. Howard is a RFA so you tender him and then next year, if he handles himself at guard you can sign him cheaper long term.