Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Seau family files wrongful death lawsuit against the NFL

Seau family files wrongful death lawsuit against the NFL

A wrongful death suit, filed Wednesday in California Superior Court in San Diego, targets the NFL for "acts or omissions" that concealed the risk of repeated hits to the head during Seau's 20 seasons in the league with the San Diego Chargers, Miami Dolphins and New England Patriots, The Associated Press reported.

The family claims Seau -- who died in May, at age 43, of a self-inflicted gunshot -- developed chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) as a result of his playing days. The suit blames the league for ignoring evidence tying violent on-field hits to traumatic brain injuries.
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...-death-lawsuit

They will lose.

quickly dismissed.

Undrafted Free Agent
    I hope NFL gets it on this one. these rich mutha****az got even more richer by watching their own players bang each others heads out, and then when doctors and researchers came to them with evidence linking cuncussions to brain disorders they hid it from the players to "protect the brand" or as I say it (protect their wallets). I hope the seau gets peace after ths

All League
    football players know what world they are entering when they choose this sport as a lifetime career. Big money, thrills, endorsements all come with the accepted risk of getting hurt in a sport that is violent by definition.

Quote Originally Posted by PocketJet View Post
    football players know what world they are entering when they choose this sport as a lifetime career. Big money, thrills, endorsements all come with the accepted risk of getting hurt in a sport that is violent by definition.
    Mineshaft vs NFL hmmmm not a hard choice.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by PocketJet View Post
    there is a difference between getting hurt and going crazy enuff to kill yourself because your ****ed up in the head by violent hits. NFL knew about the links to brain disorders and violent hits but still encouraged this behavior becuz they r greedy rich bastards...

If anyone is still wondering why Goodell is try to legislate the head injuries out of the NFL, this is just the tip of what's coming.

Anything the NFL does now, much to the annoyance of fans, is to show that they are trying to learn and adjust to the injuries (and lawsuits).

Hall Of Fame
    I hope no judge is willing to set this precedent.

I understand there are players that are truly in bad shape as a result of playing football and the NFL should help those players but I also hope the class action suit gets dismissed.

I wonder if there has ever been a case when somone has sued for a rightful death?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Pragmatic Bus View Post
    I hope NFL gets it on this one. these rich mutha****az got even more richer by watching their own players bang each others heads out, and then when doctors and researchers came to them with evidence linking cuncussions to brain disorders they hid it from the players to "protect the brand" or as I say it (protect their wallets). I hope the seau gets peace after ths
    The NFL loses, that will be the end of the sport. The lawsuits will fly in. Any player with any sort of dementia, suicide, any of that will sue the NFL.

How much of his brain trauma was from HS and College? Any damage to to steroids or pain killers? Any emotional damage from not being able to play the sport he loved from the time he was 6 until he was 38?

So, have they outlawed boxing yet?

Assumption of Risk. You play a dangerous sport and in the case of a defensive player, intentionally use your head to hit people, you can't sue the league because you suffered a brain injury. Well, you could, but would lose.

If he had concussions during a game and didn't want to go back in but was ordered to by his coach (under the threat of being cut), that would be a different story. And even that would be a weak case.

Jets Insider VIP
    I was thinking about this from a NFL lawyer defense standpoint....

If this was a "regular" job like construction, where someone can bang their head on stuff and then they insane and kills themselves, what would the family get??? $2-3MM?

Seau got paid 10's of Millions to play, so there there is the "settlement"...

All Pro
    You knew this was coming. They have an advisor, and they've been carefully leading up to this for a while now. I wouldn't be shocked if they won, or got a settlement. I mean you can sue McDonalds for making you fat can't you? You can sue a bar for letting you drink too much, and you can sue a homeowner for tripping over his loose step while you're making off with his TV.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxSuzy View Post
    So, have they outlawed boxing yet?
    They're going to make them wear helmets, and no hitting in the head, or below the chest...or in the chest.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

there is a difference between getting hurt and going crazy enuff to kill yourself because your ****ed up in the head by violent hits. NFL knew about the links to brain disorders and violent hits but still encouraged this behavior becuz they r greedy rich bastards...
    The suicide rate for cops is a lot higher then any NFL player.. Who is doing the violent hits?? The Players themselves.. Why don't they sue the players union??

There is no evidence of a correlation between the injury SEAU had and the proclivity to commit suicide. It is a completely spurious claim. It is far FAR more likely that an athlete with ego-maniacal tendencies committed suicide because he could not adjust to being a normal person and not continuously in the national spotlight. This lawsuit is a complete crock.

Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    They're going to make them wear helmets, and no hitting in the head, or below the chest...or in the chest.
    LOLz! They'll either start slap-fighting or take off the gloves for rock-paper-scissors bouts.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    The NFL loses, that will be the end of the sport. The lawsuits will fly in. Any player with any sort of dementia, suicide, any of that will sue the NFL.

How much of his brain trauma was from HS and College? Any damage to to steroids or pain killers? Any emotional damage from not being able to play the sport he loved from the time he was 6 until he was 38?
    This