Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Seau family files wrongful death lawsuit against the NFL

I think the NFL is in a pretty bad spot with a lot of these suits from retired players, but this specific case is going to be thrown out.

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PocketJet View Post
    football players know what world they are entering when they choose this sport as a lifetime career. Big money, thrills, endorsements all come with the accepted risk of getting hurt in a sport that is violent by definition.
    Exactly the post I was about to write.

Everyone knows the risks of the NFL or any professional sport for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxSuzy View Post
    So, have they outlawed boxing yet?
    They are going to require that in order to punch your opponent in the face you must first wait until he is ready to defend himself. THen, you may punch him anywhere but the head ... if he is not a title holder. If he is the current heavyweight champion, you have no rights whatsoever to punch him anywhere on his person .. you can however feign punching him before you throw yourself onto the canvas after being penalized for fake punching to close to his head.

and if the family wins this, they should return all the money Jr made playing a game.

Quote Originally Posted by The Band View Post
    and if the family wins this, they should return all the money Jr made playing a game.
    Why?

Did he not play in all of those games and earn those paychecks?

A shameless money-grab by the family, and they haven't got a shot in hell of collecting. Seau made his choices, he knew the game he was playing was a physical one. If Seau's family is entitled to a big payday then Muhammed Ali's family is entitled to one by professional boxing, and Dale Earnhardts family is entitled to megabucks from NASCAR.

When you get into this stuff you know full well you can have something bad happen to you. Take some of that big contract you just signed and make sure you leave enough for a really good medical policy for the rest of your life because you're gonna need it. If you don't want to take the risk then don't play the game, simple and plain.

Quote Originally Posted by Pragmatic Bus View Post
    there is a difference between getting hurt and going crazy enuff to kill yourself because your ****ed up in the head by violent hits. NFL knew about the links to brain disorders and violent hits but still encouraged this behavior becuz they r greedy rich bastards...
    Bet you voted for Obama.......

Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    I think the NFL is in a pretty bad spot with a lot of these suits from retired players, but this specific case is going to be thrown out.
    Depends on the judge. It may survive all the way to summary judgment which means the NFL will probably try to settle rather than set a precedent with one of these ridiculous frivolous lawsuits actually getting to trial.

Quote Originally Posted by The Band View Post
    And the personal injury lawyers should forfeit their contingency fee because this is such a "noble" crusade - suing the National Football League for allowing hitting.

Quote Originally Posted by DUNCCFP View Post
    Bet you voted for Obama.......
    I did and I think these lawsuits are horsesh_t.

As much as I think some of the current rule changes have taken away from what pro football used to be the NFL was wise to take some steps to protect the health of the players. If they lose even one of these lawsuits the floodgates will open and it will be game over for the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Depends on the judge. It may survive all the way to summary judgment which means the NFL will probably try to settle rather than set a precedent with one of these ridiculous frivolous lawsuits actually getting to trial.
    The NFL can't settle. If they settle they will only enoucarge hundreds or thousands of these suits.

Even if they find a whacky Judge that disregards years of case law that would indicate that this falls under the "assumption of risk" category they would likey appeal and win at the appellate level.(not to mention finding a link between the hits he took in the NFL vs. college vs. high school vs pee wee football.) The NFL will want this case adjudicated to its most likely outcome to put and end to this nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    The NFL can't settle. If they settle they will only enoucarge hundreds or thousands of these suits.

Even if they find a whacky Judge that disregards years of case law that would indicate that this falls under the "assumption of risk" category they would likey appeal and win at the appellate level.(not to mention finding a link between the hits he took in the NFL vs. college vs. high school vs pee wee football.) The NFL will want this case adjudicated to its most likely outcome to put and end to this nonsense.
    I agree - everyone will start filing these suits if the NFL settles. Frivolous BS. I feel bad for Junior Seau's family; suicide is an awful tragedy that leaves friends and family feeling like they should have known, and should have been able to stop it. Most of the time the person will find a way to do it anyhow. And people with Traumatic Brain Injuries don't have a higher suicide rate than anyone else.

Some excellent points were brought up about the suicide rates of law enforcement officers. Dentists are high on the suicide probability list too. Great points about NASCAR crashes, and waves upon waves of frivolous lawsuits for everyone. Bull riders? Step right up! Skydivers - form a line over here.

Football players make a lot of money because this is a physically punishing sport. Let's face it - they wouldn't make this kind of money if it WASN'T. It's one of the reasons we accept the ridiculously huge sums these guys are paid. If they got paid this much for playing flag football, us FANS would go on strike.

Anyway, I don't see how they could prove it was the NFL that dunnit .... and not peewee football, or junior high football, high school, college, neighborhood soccer games, that fall in the skating rink when he was 10, etc. etc. etc. I wish the McDonald's Hot Coffee lawsuit hadn't succeeded - that's where the tide turned in America for personal responsibility. Sheesh, I remember my Dad spilling hot coffee on his crotch while driving the car more than once, and he didn't blame anybody but himself. Coffee's supposed to be hot, just like football's supposed to be physical and the modern-day equivalent of gladiators and tourneys.

All League
    I think this has the possibility of becoming an interesting case.

98% sure it gets thrown out.

However, if the family can find evidence that the NFL knew these injuries were occurring and hid the findings, thereby not disclosing all possible risk to the athletes and negating the assumption of risk defense, then I think it moves forward. Probably not going to happen given the Seau played football at all levels and you wouldn't be able to say definitively that the injuries occurred at the NFL level.

NFL takes it to trial and wins to set a precedent so that no one else tries this.
    Last edited by JetBidi; 01-24-2013 at 03:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JetBidi View Post
    I think this has the possibility of becoming an interesting case.

98% sure it gets thrown out.

However, if the family can find evidence that the NFL knew these injuries were occurring and hid the findings, thereby not disclosing all possible risk to the athletes and negating the assumption of risk defense, then I think it moves forward. Probably not going to happen given the Seau played football at all levels and you wouldn't be able to say definitively that the injuries occurred at the NFL level.

NFL takes it to trial and wins to set a precedent so that no one else tries this.
    I hope that's what happens. What do you mean by the "NFL knew these injuries were occurring and hid the findings"? Do you mean (1) the NFL knew concussions were occurring but didn't tell Junior? Or (2) the NFL knew that concussions can result in suicide? Not trying to argue here, just want to make sure I understand.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    .. Who is doing the violent hits?? The Players themselves.. Why don't they sue the players union??

What a good, interesting post!
    Savage, who wrote this for you?...LOL

Much love,

B.
    Last edited by Baddniss; 01-24-2013 at 04:11 AM.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxSuzy View Post
    I hope that's what happens. What do you mean by the "NFL knew these injuries were occurring and hid the findings"? Do you mean (1) the NFL knew concussions were occurring but didn't tell Junior? Or (2) the NFL knew that concussions can result in suicide? Not trying to argue here, just want to make sure I understand.
    No problem, didn't take it as arguing. Also, everyone is entitled to their own opinion anyway.

What I meant was the NFL knew that concussions sustained during play could lead to CTE and suicidal thoughts/death. That they either commissioned studies or were informed of the link by other sources (scientists, researchers, doctors, etc.) and chose to hide and/or not divulge the findings to the players.

This is unlikely and even if true, the family would have to prove that Seau's CTE was in fact caused by playing football in the NFL and not at any time prior or through some other non-football related event.

I feel bad for his family, but the NFL absolutely cannot and will not settle this case. They have to win it and set the precedent, otherwise hundreds of players/families would bring suit.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    If anyone is still wondering why Goodell is try to legislate the head injuries out of the NFL, this is just the tip of what's coming.

Anything the NFL does now, much to the annoyance of fans, is to show that they are trying to learn and adjust to the injuries (and lawsuits).
    This. people complain about how goodell is ruining the game and making it "flag football". But these changes are to save the sport, which could be destroyed by these brain issues and lawsuits.

A ridiculous suit. Physical contact is an integral part of the game.
    Now, if a specific team/coach taught players to lead with your head - that is a different story.
    When I started playing in 9th grade ( a long time ago) we were taught to lead with the crown of the helmet on a hit. Let me assure everyone, THOSE helmets were garbage compared to current ones. We also weren't allowed to drink water during practice. Things change.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    They will lose.
    I agree but remember that the suit was filed in the same country where civil juries have awarded millions of dollars to people who spill hot coffee on themselves.

If it is not already being done I am assuming the NFL/teams will require all incoming players to sign a waiver accepting and acknowledging the risk of head injury should they choose to play in the NFL.