Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Jets to "Explore" Trading Revis

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by escamoter2 View Post
    All of the people against trading him, all of you are willing to pay him anywhere from 18 - 23 million a year (QB money)?? Why? No CB is worth that. Elite CBs are not needed if you have a pass rush. Let's get a pass rush. The Giants won superbowls with no defense other than a couple of pass rushers. Neither of these teams in the Superbowl have elite CBs. Common sense. If we can get a lot for Revis, let's do it. Does anybody think we can pay him what he THINKS he's worth? If we can't, somebody else will in FA.
    I will admit I don't follow every article about his contract demands, but 18-23 million is a number I must have missed.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    Also consider this, however illogical it sounds.

We trade Revis for picks. The team that picks him up doesn't pay him. Jets, with an open salary cap pick him up and we get Revis and the picks.
    Here is where the problem is going to arise, teams are not going to give up high draft picks for Revis with only one year left on his contract. They are going to have to demand a period of time that they can negotiate with him for a long term deal. On a one year rental the Jets would probably get a 3rd round pick for Revis.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Ever heard of Herschel Walker?
    I don't trust the Jets drafting, the odds are that we won't get a player on the same planet as Revis and there's a possibility we'll get an outright bust. It's a stupid idea to trade a future HOF player in his prime for draft picks.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Also consider this, however illogical it sounds.

We trade Revis for picks. The team that picks him up doesn't pay him. Jets, with an open salary cap pick him up and we get Revis and the picks.
    Yet still be paying him 12 mil to play on anther team just to get the pick(picks). Revis wouldn't play if traded and wasn't given a new deal. You really think he would suit up for 6 mil for one year if he didn't have too? We also wouldn't get anything if he wouldn't agree to a multi year and can't be tagged.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    I don't trust the Jets drafting, the odds are that we won't get a player on the same planet as Revis and there's a possibility we'll get an outright bust. It's a stupid idea to trade a future HOF player in his prime for draft picks.
    We don't NEED that future HoF CB. Our pass D was ranked 2nd without Revis, so why would we throw money at him when we've got holes all over the roster?

Deal Mevis and call it good. He might even retire as a Jet one day, anyway.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Or we could cut half the team and be 1-15
    Now you're pouring kerosene on the fire

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone who didn't see this coming was just fooling themselves. I love Revis, he's our best player but this is a move that has to be made if we can get some nice peices back. Cro and company did fine. We really didn't miss Revis all too much.

We arent contending for a few years. So why pay Revis 80-100 million and hurt our chances to load up on offense?

If we were contenders this wouldn't be an option but we have to fill like 12 positions and we already have another great Corner.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Here is where the problem is going to arise, teams are not going to give up high draft picks for Revis with only one year left on his contract. They are going to have to demand a period of time that they can negotiate with him for a long term deal. On a one year rental the Jets would probably get a 3rd round pick for Revis.
    In today's NFL I don't see the Keyshawn deal happening again. The Keyshawn deal, Ricky Williams deal and way further back in the day Herschel Walker deal taught teams not to trade lots of high picks (unless you're trading up for a pick).

Revis has 1 year left on his deal and a torn ACL plus people are seeing how the Asomugha signing busted for Philly. We maybe get a 1st and a mid round pick. I'd rather just keep Revis and let him earn his payday while wearing a Jet uniform and help us get back in the playoffs next season.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Not if that team feels that they can win it next year with Revis on board.

I'm looking squarely at the Denver Broncos. If Revis was in that secondary, the Broncos would be Super Bowl champions. The window with Peyton is very small. I could see Denver giving up a 1 for Revis.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by iahawkeyejet View Post

One last note, care to explain how the offense can take Revis out of the game? Do you mean by running the ball constantly? If that's not what you mean, I'm not following.
    Seriously?

Revis covers the opposing teams #1 WR.

Opposing team elects not to throw to their #1 WR.

Revis is taken completly out of the game.

Good offensive teams in the NFL do not rely on one WR to win football games.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Seriously?

And Cro covers the #2.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    We don't NEED that future HoF CB. Our pass D was ranked 2nd without Revis, so why would we throw money at him when we've got holes all over the roster?

Deal Mevis and call it good. He might even retire as a Jet one day, anyway.
    Yeah we need a QB and OLB. We have plenty of money devoted to those positions (go check). The players just suck.
    Last edited by Buzzsaw; 01-23-2013 at 10:38 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    However, I personally believe that they are not going to trade him and this is acting like a warning shot to Revis's agents.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by iahawkeyejet View Post
    I will admit I don't follow every article about his contract demands, but 18-23 million is a number I must have missed.
    In 2010, he was demanding at least 10 years 162 million (average of 16.2 million, but you know some years would likely be in that 18-23 range and less than 16 when he got older). He got the bandaid contract instead so he could get his massive pay day later. Well, the time has come. You think he's going to ask for less? LOL You better hope that knee is real sore.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Seriously?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    Anyone who didn't see this coming was just fooling themselves. I love Revis, he's our best player but this is a move that has to be made if we can get some nice peices back. Cro and company did fine. We really didn't miss Revis all too much.

We arent contending for a few years. So why pay Revis 80-100 million and hurt our chances to load up on offense?

If we were contenders this wouldn't be an option but we have to fill like 12 positions and we already have another great Corner.
    Our pass defense was good this year (thanks to Wrecks) but besides Cro playing stellar it was Laron Landry playing at an all-pro level. We probably lose Landry since we're only gonna have about $10 mil in cap room after the scrubs are cut. Only way to realistically compensate is hanging onto Revis 1 more year and then let another team go into cap hell giving him $50 mil guaranteed.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    However, I personally believe that they are not going to trade him and this is acting like a warning shot to Revis's agents.
    What is the warning? They and Revis have demonstrated from day 1 it's always been about the $$.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    A warning shot for what though? To sign a long term extension with the Jets?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nyjets1969 View Post

Your 100% right most of these fans are to young to understand this is not like the Yankees right now this team is a wreck you have only 10 starters returning and the Jets are over the cap even cutting the certain players only take us 12 million under.

Right now you trade him and stock picks.

I wish these kids would quit having their manlove for Revis blind them from the truth. I still think your wrong about idzik though.
    Yup, that's what's going on here.

I hope I'm wrong about Idzik, let's see what he says tomorrow at the presser.

The 1996-2010 Jets are over. Done. The last two seasons have cemented that fact, this offseason was the final nail. It's time to move on and build properly for the future, and holding onto a great CB is not part of the process. If anything, it's a must that we trade Revis for picks so we don't delay our future any longer than we already have.

SAR I

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Yeah we need a QB and OLB. We have plenty of money tied up to those positions (go check). The players just suck.
    Also need receivers (no, jags like Schillens do not count). Sorry, but we just don't need Revis at all. We're fine with out him, so there's no way to justify throwing big money at him.