Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Jets to "Explore" Trading Revis

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Seriously?

Revis covers the opposing teams #1 WR.

Opposing team elects not to throw to their #1 WR.

Revis is taken completly out of the game.

Good offensive teams in the NFL do not rely on one WR to win football games.
    Are you serious? You say that's taking Revis out of the game? Still sounds like Revis is taking their #1 out of the game, regardless of how you want to spin it.

You are right, good teams do spread the ball around. No good offensive team would completely remove their #1 option from their game plan. If you believe that is true, I am disappointed. I was told you were more than a troll.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    I don't trust the Jets drafting, the odds are that we won't get a player on the same planet as Revis and there's a possibility we'll get an outright bust. It's a stupid idea to trade a future HOF player in his prime for draft picks.
    We are in a complete rebuild, will take 3 years at a minimum to be competitive again.

We are going to go 5-11 or 6-10 for the next few seasons, doesn't matter if we have a dominant CB or not.

We have to pay the price for the "get rich quick" 2009-2011 teams where we went crazy on free agent spending and trade-up drafting. We knew that when we were loading for bear back then that some day we'd have to pay the piper.

If he were a QB we wouldn't be having this conversation, perhaps a C or a LT too. But a CB just isn't worth it.

SAR I

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Manish Mehta ‏@MMehtaNYDN
    A team with a dearth of good players shouldn't even consider trading their greatest player. #nyj

Yes, we should just continue to be bad-mediocre and give Revis top QB money. Great plan, Girlish.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    A warning shot for what though? To sign a long term extension with the Jets?
    To show Revis's agents that they are not going to be bossed around. Revis and his agents know it would be risky to hold out coming off of an injury, but they might think that the Jets are weak given the last two holdouts. This stops that.

Plus, as usual, the timing speaks volumes. The night before the major press conference to announce the GM? This is a "fist on the table" "I am here" stroke.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    How does a team like the Ravens keep Ed Reed or Ray Lewis for their whole career. To me it makes no sense trading Revis. Him and Sanders are on their own level. I would rather them work out a deal with him. Revis changes a game plan for the opposing team. Manning threw to Wayne one time in the WC game. I"m sorry these special type of players don't come around often. And couldn't he even switch to Safety toward the end of the season.

It's funny to read the Jets were #2 against the Pass this season so we don't need Revis.. lol.. The teams the Jets played toward the end of the season kinda of helped that stat... Arizona, Tenn, Jacksonville.. Cro played well, but I'm sorry he didn't shut down players like Revis has. He was lost against Wallace, 3 pass int vs Wayne, and a TD vs SD...Against all 3 good QB's.. Everyone shut down Fitz this year, and Andre Johnson was shut down all first 1/2 of the season. I just don't agree with trading HOF players.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by iahawkeyejet View Post
    We can agree to disagree then. The only thing I agree 100% on those statements is B, and Good, but not great, pass rush.

The teams have balance, that's why they are in the Superbowl. I'm not saying I'm 100% in favor of keeping Revis, as I've said before, I will not pass judgement until an offer is made.

One last note, care to explain how the offense can take Revis out of the game? Do you mean by running the ball constantly? If that's not what you mean, I'm not following.
    By having a plethora of weapons....Revis can't cover everyone...How many times have we seen Revis shut down the opposing receiver...but the number 2 or 3 receiver and TE kills us...or a deep bomb to a running back with Bart Scott chasing him...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Yup, that's what's going on here.

I hope I'm wrong about Idzik, let's see what he says tomorrow at the presser.

The 1996-2010 Jets are over. Done. The last two seasons have cemented that fact, this offseason was the final nail. It's time to move on and build properly for the future, and holding onto a great CB is not part of the process. If anything, it's a must that we trade Revis for picks so we don't delay our future any longer than we already have.

SAR I
    The Colts seemed to do pretty well getting rid of their best player and others to rebuild in one year. I know we can't draft Andrew Luck this year, but it's possible to rebuild quickly if we have enough quality draft picks and use them right (not exactly a Jets trait generally). The defense proved this year they didn't need Revis at all. Our problems are mostly on the offensive side of the ball where we need QB, RB, TE, OL, WR. We don't have one dynamic player on offense.

I'm in no rush to get rid of Revis. But, if the deal is right, I'd be willing to pull the trigger for long-term benefits.
    Last edited by escamoter2; 01-23-2013 at 10:50 PM.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    If we can sign Revis for a fair price I would keep him. However, I highly doubt that will happen. If he wants $20 million a year it's just not worth it. The Texans let Mario Williams go to the Bills and look at how that played out.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    I think the rebuild on d is going to include Pouha as well. With his back, his $3.8 M cap savings could Give the Jets enough space for at least 3 veterans.
    This, I like more than dealing Revis. You can more than live with Kenrick Ellis, Damon Harrison and a young draft pick at NT. Sione can be easily replaced. Revis can not.

The messed up thing about the Revis situation is that Mike Tannenbaum screwed that one up. His dealings with Revis has put the Jets in this situation. No franchise deal and the lack of a long term deal that locks him in for life.

If the Jets deal Revis. That pretty much leaves just a few high profile and high salaried Jets remaining on the roster. Next to go in 2014 are Mark Sanchez and Santonio Holmes. The only two guys who may survive the purge are Ferguson and Mangold.

That's why, It's puzzling to me that the Jets didn't just start over completely this offseason. If they deal Revis, It sends a message of a full team rebuild. You can't half ass it. You either go all in or all out.

You can thank Mike Tannenbaum for a lot of this mess.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Manish Mehta ‏@MMehtaNYDN
    A team with a dearth of good players shouldn't even consider trading their greatest player. #nyj

Yes, we should just continue to be bad-mediocre and give Revis top QB money. Great plan, Girlish.
    Manish..LOL

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Our pass defense was good this year (thanks to Wrecks) but besides Cro playing stellar it was Laron Landry playing at an all-pro level. We probably lose Landry since we're only gonna have about $10 mil in cap room after the scrubs are cut. Only way to realistically compensate is hanging onto Revis 1 more year and then let another team go into cap hell giving him $50 mil guaranteed.
    Bull crap! We are going to win 4-6 games next year. Even with a healthy Revis. So keep him and then lose him for nothing? No thanks!! Trade him now to the highest bidder outside of our division.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by escamoter2 View Post
    All of the people against trading him, all of you are willing to pay him anywhere from 18 - 23 million a year (QB money)?? Why? No CB is worth that. Elite CBs are not needed if you have a pass rush. Let's get a pass rush. The Giants won superbowls with no defense other than a couple of pass rushers. Neither of these teams in the Superbowl have elite CBs. Common sense. If we can get a lot for Revis, let's do it. Does anybody think we can pay him what he THINKS he's worth? If we can't, somebody else will in FA.
    He isn't going to get that. At most he would average 14 and wouldn't get a lot of guaranteed in the back end. Aso got 5 year 60mil and is already likely to take a pay cut or be cut after 2 years. Your talking 6-7 year 84-98 mil next year IF he has a good year at most. That would be record setting for a CB easy. Also no GM is going to be dumb enough to give him anther 9 mil to walk off the team on the back end. Worst thing I have ever seen. His next deal will likely be front end loaded. He may have one or 2 years at 17-19 mil but he will not average that. Bailey is still making over 10 mil because of name alone. Didn't stop Denver from building a good team this year. Revis is not a waste of money guys like Sanchez, Pace, Scott, and Holmes are. Paying top dollar for guys that aren't top players is.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Our pass defense was good this year (thanks to Wrecks) but besides Cro playing stellar it was Laron Landry playing at an all-pro level. We probably lose Landry since we're only gonna have about $10 mil in cap room after the scrubs are cut. Only way to realistically compensate is hanging onto Revis 1 more year and then let another team go into cap hell giving him $50 mil guaranteed.
    Not to mention, most of the better NFL teams load up the front 7 and short-change the secondary. There's not enough money to be elite at both.

Logic being that its better to stuff the run, prevent the short underneath throws, and generate a pass rush than to shut down the intermediate and long stuff.

Any team with a good TE eats us for lunch. Any team with a good RB eats us for lunch. Any team with a good dump-off RB eats us for lunch.

We need to shift the $ from the secondary to the front 7 to bail us out of the current jam we're in. A great NFL secondary doesn't matter when your front 7 is weaksauce.

SAR I

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Trading Revis this offseason at the nadir of his value is stupid. End of story.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer
    As CBS reported, Jets owner Woody Johnson has expressed concern over Revis's future, and has told people "we have to make a decision" on 24.

Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer
    Revis' contract could create an artificial deadline too -- He's due a $1 million roster bonus on the fifth day of the 2013 league year.

Anyone know when the 5th day of the 2013 league year is???

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by APL330 View Post
    How does a team like the Ravens keep Ed Reed or Ray Lewis for their whole career.
    Because the Ravens draft really well and have maintained a 10 year level a Super Bowl contender, they need to keep those guys in purple.

Because the Jets draft really badly and have just ended a 15 year run as a playoff contender, we can't afford and do not need to keep our guy in green.

If we were coming off of two 10 win seasons, no brainer, you keep Darrelle Revis. But this team is as far from the playoffs as the Jacksonville Jaguars, we don't run with the Ravens, Patriots, Steelers, and Colts anymore. That was so 2010.

SAR I

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    Bull crap! We are going to win 4-6 games next year. Even with a healthy Revis. So keep him and then lose him for nothing? No thanks!! Trade him now to the highest bidder outside of our division.
    Nope, sorry disagree. We are getting a better WR corps next season even by default with Tone coming back, Hill being full strength and actually having experience, Kerley going back to slot and assuming Idzik isn't stupid he'll resign Edwards and Keller for peanuts. That and healthy Revis makes us at least 9 or 10 wins next season I could care less what the doom n' gloom crowd or Pats trolls with no life think.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by halfsharkalligatorhalfman View Post
    Trading Revis this offseason at the nadir of his value is stupid. End of story.
    +1

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by escamoter2 View Post
    The Colts seemed to do pretty well getting rid of their best player and others to rebuild in one year. I know we can't draft Andrew Luck this year...
    You know you just answered your own question, that's a 1-in-30-years move the Colts pulled off.

If there was another Luck-type available in the 2014 draft, I'd sign Revis long-term, tank (and I mean tank) the 2013 season, and draft that stud QB in 2014 and go be the reborn Colts just as Belichick and Brady retire.

But, alas, the NCAA Gods do not like the Jets, and there is no such QB on the horizon. So Revis goes and we rebuild the hard way.

SAR I

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    He isn't going to get that. At most he would average 14 and wouldn't get a lot of guaranteed in the back end. Aso got 5 year 60mil and is already likely to take a pay cut or be cut after 2 years. Your talking 6-7 year 84-98 mil next year IF he has a good year at most. That would be record setting for a CB easy. Also no GM is going to be dumb enough to give him anther 9 mil to walk off the team on the back end. Worst thing I have ever seen. His next deal will likely be front end loaded. He may have one or 2 years at 17-19 mil but he will not average that. Bailey is still making over 10 mil because of name alone. Didn't stop Denver from building a good team this year. Revis is not a waste of money guys like Sanchez, Pace, Scott, and Holmes are. Paying top dollar for guys that aren't top players is.
    I'm not disagreeing with the likely structure. But, as I said, I think this was always going to be his big pay day and he's going to get it from somebody. If Bailey is making 10 million a year because of "name alone" as you believe, how is Revis going to only get 14. That seems off. IMO, he's going to want big money upfront for 3-5 years then it will tail off. I don't see how we can pay that right now. Per my previous post, I'm in no rush to get rid of Revis, but it has to make sense financially to keep him given our needs.

Get a good, consistent pass rush and everybody behind the d-line can probably be average.