Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 320 of 503

Thread: Jets to "Explore" Trading Revis

  1. #301
    NFL: AroundTheLeague ‏@NFL_ATL
    Revis news another sign of Jets dysfunction http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...gn=Twitter_atl


    lol, you can't be serious. I absolutely love how everything the Jets do is spun to make them look bad.

  2. #302
    Problem with draft picks for Revis, those picks probably don't equal to Revis and hes still young. Revis has flawless technique as a CB and is extremely smart, he'll be a stud in his 30s.

  3. #303
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    NFL: AroundTheLeague ‏@NFL_ATL
    Revis news another sign of Jets dysfunction http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...gn=Twitter_atl


    lol, you can't be serious. I absolutely love how everything the Jets do is spun to make them look bad.
    This is how it would look, top teams don't overpay average players and trade their star players. You win with talent in this league.

  4. #304
    Bewildered Beast
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SF via Strong Island
    Posts
    31,116
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    This is moronic logic. Did you watch Kyle Wilson play? He can not be a #2 CB.
    The guys with real insight say that Wilson is strong outside the numbers, his athleticism is excellent there and he also puts guys on the ground when targets do catch the ball. Wilson shows up as worse as the nickel.

    Comedian.

  5. #305
    thinking about trading revis sickens me. what do you guys think we can get back for him? if its not a 1st and 2nd round pick, is anything else really worth it?

  6. #306

    Revis Wont Bring a Super Bowl

    I wish we traded him last year for 2 1's

  7. #307

  8. #308

    B L o Job

    Quote Originally Posted by JetsMakeMeCry View Post
    thinking about trading revis sickens me. what do you guys think we can get back for him? if its not a 1st and 2nd round pick, is anything else really worth it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Klecko View Post
    I wish we traded him last year for 2 1's
    Hold out F ucker

  9. #309
    Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by escamoter2 View Post
    I disagree completely with you and I am shocked that this is coming from somebody who hates our other LBs like Scott. I thought Harris played well the second half of the season.

    What, you don't like the "lighter" defense? Blame you know who.
    I disregard those last few games against the worst offenses in the NFL.

    Early in the season and against elite teams, I just don't see Harris performing well.

    SAR I

  10. #310
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    6,890
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    How could anyone support trading the best player in the history of the Jets? What the hell is wrong with you people?
    Its easy...its called the smart thing to do.

  11. #311
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    6,890
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Why hold onto Revis for only one year, and then have him walk in free agency?
    Don't use logic my man.....we are dealing with Revis'ites. They are worse then Tebow-ites.

  12. #312
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaSteve View Post
    Don't use logic my man.....we are dealing with Revis'ites. They are worse then Tebow-ites.
    SMH, at least do something original. Tebowites was funny, but it shouldn't have spawned up a bunch of sequels. The Tebow fans are Tebowites; Sanchez fans are Pick 6ers; Revis fans are Revis Islanders (or just Islanders for short).

  13. #313
    Darell Revis IS the best defensive player in football. That isn't an arbitrary statement, it's not an overstatement, it's just a fact. The man shuts down number one wide outs week in and week out. He's beyond reliable, he works hard, and in relation to his output and the market the man deserves what he gets paid.

    People calling this dude "mevis" are just complete morons. Would anyone else asking for fair market value based off their position and their abilities be called "me-XXX" NO. The dude plays football. Which entails physical ridiculousness on a person's body and allows people to live through him. AND HE'S A FUTURE HALL OF FAMER.

    The dude ISN'T going to get QB money despite what is said on this board constantly. His current deal is based off the Raider's asinine Nnamdi contract. Which won't happen again. He WILL be the highest paid player at his position though as he deserves to be. We can afford to pay Revis in that capacity.

    The NFL cap is one of the most widly misunderstood things in sports. It's been said over and over again teams can work within and around the cap to keep the players they need in order to field a competitive team. Revis isn't, and never will be, the problem. Has he held out in the past? Yes. And you know what? Rightly so. The dude deserves to get paid for his abilities. He didn't cripple the team with his current contract. And his next one wouldn't cripple the team ever.

    Everyone on this board is obsessd with getting a pass rusher. But you know what? A player who shuts down half a field and you KNOW will take a player as fantastic as Calvin Johnson almost entirely out of a game is more valubal than said pass rusher. You know why? Because he can make a DE or OLB who is half decent look GREAT by executing. Our pass rushers haven't been great for years, but our secondary has made the sub par pass rush more effective than it would be otherwise.

    Trading Revis just because he can't be franchised next year is a mistake. If we get a solid return than yes, it can be forgiven. But a HOF player almost NEVER gets traded for even 90 cents on the dollar. He won't cripple the cap. And if Cro keeps playing the way he did this year our secondary, and especially if we retain Landry, our secondary will be impossible to throw on.

    Offense is the issue. It had been for 10 years. Keep the best defensive player in football. Fix the offense. This team isn't in as dire straights as people would have you believe. Fix the o-line. Get a RB. Get a QB to challenge Sanchez. Learn to score some GD points.

    And keep the best defensive player in football. Better than Demarcus Ware. Better than JJ Watt. Better than Clay Matthews. Better than Ed Reed. Better than anyone else you can name. Because being paid as the best CB in the NFL doesn't mean getting paid as a QB. Because he'll be great into his 30s. And because closing off half a field week in and week out does more to effect a game than 90% of the posters here realize. JESUS. H. CHRIST.

  14. #314
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Northport, LI
    Posts
    272
    I really don't like the idea. I actually like my team having someone who is the best at their respective position. Never happened in my lifetime till 2009.

    HOWEVER, we really have no choice. No way we can keep him.

    1. We cannot franchise him
    2. We have a million holes and cannot pay him what he wants to be paid
    3. No way he'll actually want to stay here after next season unfolds (think Deon going to SF to snag a ring)

    I am hoping we pull something along the lines of the Keyshawn trade. A lot of picks, but the FO uses them wisely this go around.

  15. #315
    One of the most aggravating aspects of rooting for a New York sports team other then the Yankees is the ridiculous and unfair comparisons to the Yankees. Simply put, in the NFL you can't keep throwing good money after bad, you can't fill your roster by signing all-star players for every position. And you cannot outspend your competition by (in some cases) over $130 Million dollars.

    Therefore, considering the state of this team and its' salary cap, the trading of Revis for high draft picks is the correct move. We have had a good run but we are leveraged against the cap and have a roster void of talent. Despite the fairy tale narratives by some fans, this team is not seriously competing for anything in 2013 except maybe the top pick in the draft. The only caveat I would add is that if Revis is truly interested in staying with the team and is not looking for a "break the bank" contract (highly unlikely) then signing him to an extension should be measured verses the quality of the package offered in a trade. Even then, I would probably still make the trade. If we are able to secure some high draft picks (hopefully in 2014) for a player who will probably not be elite when the Jets become contenders again, then its the smart play. And the idea that the Jets should not make this move because they will just screw up the picks, as was suggested by some fans, is beyond comprehension. Essentially, those fans are afraid to make the correct move for fear of making a mistake? That is a recipe for success in life

    Trading Revis for high draft picks is the correct move given the state of the salary cap and the roster for 2013. The bills are due and we have to pay.
    Last edited by intelligentjetsfan; 01-24-2013 at 01:48 AM.

  16. #316
    Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by odb576 View Post
    Darell Revis IS the best defensive player in football. That isn't an arbitrary statement, it's not an overstatement, it's just a fact. The man shuts down number one wide outs week in and week out. He's beyond reliable, he works hard, and in relation to his output and the market the man deserves what he gets paid.

    People calling this dude "mevis" are just complete morons. Would anyone else asking for fair market value based off their position and their abilities be called "me-XXX" NO. The dude plays football. Which entails physical ridiculousness on a person's body and allows people to live through him. AND HE'S A FUTURE HALL OF FAMER.

    The dude ISN'T going to get QB money despite what is said on this board constantly. His current deal is based off the Raider's asinine Nnamdi contract. Which won't happen again. He WILL be the highest paid player at his position though as he deserves to be. We can afford to pay Revis in that capacity.

    The NFL cap is one of the most widly misunderstood things in sports. It's been said over and over again teams can work within and around the cap to keep the players they need in order to field a competitive team. Revis isn't, and never will be, the problem. Has he held out in the past? Yes. And you know what? Rightly so. The dude deserves to get paid for his abilities. He didn't cripple the team with his current contract. And his next one wouldn't cripple the team ever.

    Everyone on this board is obsessd with getting a pass rusher. But you know what? A player who shuts down half a field and you KNOW will take a player as fantastic as Calvin Johnson almost entirely out of a game is more valubal than said pass rusher. You know why? Because he can make a DE or OLB who is half decent look GREAT by executing. Our pass rushers haven't been great for years, but our secondary has made the sub par pass rush more effective than it would be otherwise.

    Trading Revis just because he can't be franchised next year is a mistake. If we get a solid return than yes, it can be forgiven. But a HOF player almost NEVER gets traded for even 90 cents on the dollar. He won't cripple the cap. And if Cro keeps playing the way he did this year our secondary, and especially if we retain Landry, our secondary will be impossible to throw on.

    Offense is the issue. It had been for 10 years. Keep the best defensive player in football. Fix the offense. This team isn't in as dire straights as people would have you believe. Fix the o-line. Get a RB. Get a QB to challenge Sanchez. Learn to score some GD points.

    And keep the best defensive player in football. Better than Demarcus Ware. Better than JJ Watt. Better than Clay Matthews. Better than Ed Reed. Better than anyone else you can name. Because being paid as the best CB in the NFL doesn't mean getting paid as a QB. Because he'll be great into his 30s. And because closing off half a field week in and week out does more to effect a game than 90% of the posters here realize. JESUS. H. CHRIST.
    Sorry, he has to go.

    SAR I

  17. #317
    Quote Originally Posted by odb576 View Post
    Darell Revis IS the best defensive player in football. That isn't an arbitrary statement, it's not an overstatement, it's just a fact. The man shuts down number one wide outs week in and week out. He's beyond reliable, he works hard, and in relation to his output and the market the man deserves what he gets paid.

    People calling this dude "mevis" are just complete morons. Would anyone else asking for fair market value based off their position and their abilities be called "me-XXX" NO. The dude plays football. Which entails physical ridiculousness on a person's body and allows people to live through him. AND HE'S A FUTURE HALL OF FAMER.

    The dude ISN'T going to get QB money despite what is said on this board constantly. His current deal is based off the Raider's asinine Nnamdi contract. Which won't happen again. He WILL be the highest paid player at his position though as he deserves to be. We can afford to pay Revis in that capacity.

    The NFL cap is one of the most widly misunderstood things in sports. It's been said over and over again teams can work within and around the cap to keep the players they need in order to field a competitive team. Revis isn't, and never will be, the problem. Has he held out in the past? Yes. And you know what? Rightly so. The dude deserves to get paid for his abilities. He didn't cripple the team with his current contract. And his next one wouldn't cripple the team ever.

    Everyone on this board is obsessd with getting a pass rusher. But you know what? A player who shuts down half a field and you KNOW will take a player as fantastic as Calvin Johnson almost entirely out of a game is more valubal than said pass rusher. You know why? Because he can make a DE or OLB who is half decent look GREAT by executing. Our pass rushers haven't been great for years, but our secondary has made the sub par pass rush more effective than it would be otherwise.

    Trading Revis just because he can't be franchised next year is a mistake. If we get a solid return than yes, it can be forgiven. But a HOF player almost NEVER gets traded for even 90 cents on the dollar. He won't cripple the cap. And if Cro keeps playing the way he did this year our secondary, and especially if we retain Landry, our secondary will be impossible to throw on.

    Offense is the issue. It had been for 10 years. Keep the best defensive player in football. Fix the offense. This team isn't in as dire straights as people would have you believe. Fix the o-line. Get a RB. Get a QB to challenge Sanchez. Learn to score some GD points.

    And keep the best defensive player in football. Better than Demarcus Ware. Better than JJ Watt. Better than Clay Matthews. Better than Ed Reed. Better than anyone else you can name. Because being paid as the best CB in the NFL doesn't mean getting paid as a QB. Because he'll be great into his 30s. And because closing off half a field week in and week out does more to effect a game than 90% of the posters here realize. JESUS. H. CHRIST.
    This team is not going to be good, with or without Revis, in 2013; they may only be mediocre in 2014. What exactly do we gain, as a franchise, by keeping a cornerback who will be 30 years old by the time the team restocks its' roster and clears the cap? So if we lose more competitively in 2013 but sacrifice an extra first round pick that could land a franchise QB for the next 15 years, its worth it to you?
    Last edited by intelligentjetsfan; 01-24-2013 at 02:02 AM.

  18. #318
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    1,765
    Quote Originally Posted by odb576 View Post
    Darell Revis IS the best defensive player in football. That isn't an arbitrary statement, it's not an overstatement, it's just a fact. The man shuts down number one wide outs week in and week out. He's beyond reliable, he works hard, and in relation to his output and the market the man deserves what he gets paid.

    People calling this dude "mevis" are just complete morons. Would anyone else asking for fair market value based off their position and their abilities be called "me-XXX" NO. The dude plays football. Which entails physical ridiculousness on a person's body and allows people to live through him. AND HE'S A FUTURE HALL OF FAMER.

    The dude ISN'T going to get QB money despite what is said on this board constantly. His current deal is based off the Raider's asinine Nnamdi contract. Which won't happen again. He WILL be the highest paid player at his position though as he deserves to be. We can afford to pay Revis in that capacity.

    The NFL cap is one of the most widly misunderstood things in sports. It's been said over and over again teams can work within and around the cap to keep the players they need in order to field a competitive team. Revis isn't, and never will be, the problem. Has he held out in the past? Yes. And you know what? Rightly so. The dude deserves to get paid for his abilities. He didn't cripple the team with his current contract. And his next one wouldn't cripple the team ever.

    Everyone on this board is obsessd with getting a pass rusher. But you know what? A player who shuts down half a field and you KNOW will take a player as fantastic as Calvin Johnson almost entirely out of a game is more valubal than said pass rusher. You know why? Because he can make a DE or OLB who is half decent look GREAT by executing. Our pass rushers haven't been great for years, but our secondary has made the sub par pass rush more effective than it would be otherwise.

    Trading Revis just because he can't be franchised next year is a mistake. If we get a solid return than yes, it can be forgiven. But a HOF player almost NEVER gets traded for even 90 cents on the dollar. He won't cripple the cap. And if Cro keeps playing the way he did this year our secondary, and especially if we retain Landry, our secondary will be impossible to throw on.

    Offense is the issue. It had been for 10 years. Keep the best defensive player in football. Fix the offense. This team isn't in as dire straights as people would have you believe. Fix the o-line. Get a RB. Get a QB to challenge Sanchez. Learn to score some GD points.

    And keep the best defensive player in football. Better than Demarcus Ware. Better than JJ Watt. Better than Clay Matthews. Better than Ed Reed. Better than anyone else you can name. Because being paid as the best CB in the NFL doesn't mean getting paid as a QB. Because he'll be great into his 30s. And because closing off half a field week in and week out does more to effect a game than 90% of the posters here realize. JESUS. H. CHRIST.
    We had a pretty good Pass D without him. If a good offer is there, you take it. And sorry, but a JJ watt on this defense without Revis would be stellar. If you can't see that, then I don't know what to tell you. Revis is great, no doubt, but he's expensive, coming off an injury and can be disruptive in his negotiations. Personally I'd rather lock up Landry and keep one of Revis or Cro.

    Oh yeah, and on Revis being the best defensive football player in the NFL. That is your opinion... Not a fact.

  19. #319
    Oh please no!!
    Makes sense to trade away our best player :/

  20. #320
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I've been waiting to see what Idzik does with Revis, the QB situation and the draft before I form an opinion of him.

    I guess he is willing to make the tough and unpopular decisions. Definitely a positive. I would guess that the powers that be are split on what to do with Revis so if he was to trade him I think it would be a bold move on his part. But he was hired to fix this mess.

    This. The single most encouraging - and important - part of the article was this:

    Dealing Revis would incur a $9 million cap hit due to some option-bonus prorations involved in the contract -- thus Revis would count an additional $3 million against the cap than he is currently scheduled to -- but the Jets could navigate that relatively easily according to sources familiar with their cap situation, via a restructuring or by releasing a veteran. The team is using 2013 as a year for cap and budgetary housecleaning to get situated for the future. It stands to reason that come 2014, both Revis and head coach Rex Ryan, are gone.
    I think the concluding sentiment is dead wrong - if they are using 2013 for housecleaning (which is absolutely what they should be doing), Idzik won't be evaluating Rex on straight wins and losses. But the approach is the perfect one to be taking, and people don't realize why it's happening. It's not just questions of whether they can retain revis in 2014 - it's what happens (large cap hit) if he executes the void.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us