Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast
Results 381 to 400 of 503

Thread: Jets to "Explore" Trading Revis

  1. #381
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Huntington, NY
    Posts
    8,533
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Fumes View Post
    Folks, we had to all know this was coming.

    He is the best trade bait on the team. He is the only player we have that most of the league would want. And we all know he is gonna wanna be paid like Nhamdi and we all know that the team should not tie that much money into one player.

    He affords alot of luxury defensively, I totally agree. But this team is not in a position to spend the kind of money he wants. I dont think Johnson should be making these statements, but I do think the idea should be considered before we simply get outbid for Revis next season. I think this should come from Idzik.

    Let the man you hired handle football stuff. Maybe Idzik can get a deal done to keep him, who knows. But realistically, we all HAD TO KNOW that this was gonna come up.

    Personally, I been saying to my friends since he got injured that he would get traded. They keep him this year, and he plays well, he skates next season... for nothing! I am sorry but allowing THAT is just stupid.
    +1 Nobody is untouchable if the price is right.

  2. #382
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    2,018
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    Why cant the JETS just shut up about it?

    We can only get less value each time Woody opens his mouth.

    Sick of this unprofessional approach to everything
    Nah not really but like I said before the timing is odd to say the least. If the Jets want to keep Revis they need to act immediately to take advantage of the little bargaining chip they have as in his injury..

    Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

  3. #383
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    52,055
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    What? You think his trade value drops because Woody said they will explore trading him as opposed to Idzik contacting each team and tell them over the phone that they are willing to listen to offers for Revis?

    I love it when Jets fans spin everything the Jets say or do as a "terrible franchise ruining decision."
    Actually, I think this is a very good strategy by the Jets.

    Get it out on the table early and let interested teams contact you, and not the other way around.

    Jets have absolutely nothing to lose by taking this approach.

  4. #384
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    919
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like it....based on his contract Jets need to re-sign him or deal him now...only chance to keep him is to get him realistic financially. By dangling him out there the Jets get to feel the pulse for his market value and at the same time show Revis that they are serious about dealing him....maybe deep down he really wants to stay and by doing this a fair deal gets done.

    either way I agree with what they are doing

  5. #385
    All League
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    3,244
    Post Thanks / Like
    Finally some good news. Hopefully somebody will be willing to lock him up long term based on workouts and the Jets can get 1st to 3rd rounder for him.

  6. #386
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    northern jersey
    Posts
    3,087
    Post Thanks / Like
    Offer Revis a new 5 year, 45 mil contract, 22 mil guaranteed. Let him know that they will not negotiate a deal after the Draft.

    If he declines, look to trade him, but set his price tag at 2 #1's. If no one bites, let him play out the last year. Yes this is risky for the Jets, but it's also a risk for Revis as well.







    .

  7. #387
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    12,645
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BrowningNagle View Post
    I like it....based on his contract Jets need to re-sign him or deal him now...only chance to keep him is to get him realistic financially. By dangling him out there the Jets get to feel the pulse for his market value and at the same time show Revis that they are serious about dealing him....maybe deep down he really wants to stay and by doing this a fair deal gets done.

    either way I agree with what they are doing
    He may want to stay, but what Revis has shown is that he doesnt stay happy very long. Two years from when Revis signs his deal, he will become unhappy again and the whole feeling under-paid, possible hold out will resurface again.

  8. #388
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    6,873
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a great reality check for all the people who think it would be a ridiculous notion to trade Darrelle Revis because he is the best CB in the league.

    Wayne Gretzky was arguably the best hockey player to lace up skates. He was virtually untradeable given that fact.
    Yet, the Oilers traded him for what amounted to being a bag of hockey pucks.

    How many Stanley Cups did it get the Los Angeles Kings: 0
    How many Stanley Cups did the Oilers win without Gretzky: 1

    If Wayne Gretzky is tradeable, and a franchise can win without him, then I think people who are against trading Revis because he is the best CB in the league (not even the most valuable position on Defense, let alone the entire team), then I would suggest a rethink on being open to trading him is needed.

  9. #389
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    22,105
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Actually, I think this is a very good strategy by the Jets.

    Get it out on the table early and let interested teams contact you, and not the other way around.

    Jets have absolutely nothing to lose by taking this approach.
    Pretty much.

    It's not like this is a situation where teams can wait the Jets out because they'll have to cut the player. He's either on the Jets or traded.

    Getting the word out could create a bidding war.

    Also, I disagree with the people saying that Revis' trade value is low because of the injury. It's actually enhanced because teams trading for him will be looking to offer a more affordable extension.

  10. #390
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    13,228
    Post Thanks / Like
    This would be the most insanely idiotic thing they could ever do. Absolutely stupid on every level.

    But if the FO insists on doing pulling off the dumb deal of the century, I say at least TWO 1st round draft picks.

  11. #391
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,252
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    What? You think his trade value drops because Woody said they will explore trading him as opposed to Idzik contacting each team and tell them over the phone that they are willing to listen to offers for Revis?

    I love it when Jets fans spin everything the Jets say or do as a "terrible franchise ruining decision."
    I see your point. I am trying to think of this as a fresh start and getting back to being proud of the team I love.

    When I hear Woody Johnson speak, especially when it comes to matters of football, I cringe. I believe he knows nothing and most of the times he puts his foot in his mouth.

    Just recently he opened up his mouth putting the blame of Tebow on Tannenbaum during an interview for the GM position. It screamed of unprofessional-ism.

    In this case you might be right. I would just like to hear less from Johnson because I dont think he knows a thing about football or sports in general

  12. #392
    All Pro
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    5,199
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Actually, I think this is a very good strategy by the Jets.

    Get it out on the table early and let interested teams contact you, and not the other way around.

    Jets have absolutely nothing to lose by taking this approach.
    I agree, this is a rare case where leaking the news is actually a good thing.

    "interest" in revis can easily be exaggerated by using the press in this situation which is what we need.

  13. #393
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19,524
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejet22 View Post
    Offer Revis a new 5 year, 45 mil contract, 22 mil guaranteed. Let him know that they will not negotiate a deal after the Draft.

    If he declines, look to trade him, but set his price tag at 2 #1's. If no one bites, let him play out the last year. Yes this is risky for the Jets, but it's also a risk for Revis as well.

    .
    If that is the money he was looking for the Jets would do that deal in a nano-second.

    Consensus is that we are not winning the SB this year. So if he is going to leave after this year we might as well get something for him. No sense in just having him for one fruitless season and then letting him for for nothing.

  14. #394
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    22,105
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LB54 View Post
    nonpremium?! Cb is probably the most important position in today pass happy league
    LOL, no it's not. Pass rusher is.

  15. #395
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    12,645
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    This would be the most insanely idiotic thing they could ever do. Absolutely stupid on every level.

    But if the FO insists on doing pulling off the dumb deal of the century, I say at least TWO 1st round draft picks.
    They will never get 2 1st round picks for Revis. One first round pick maybe, and that is only if the new team can sign him to a new contract.

  16. #396
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    8,532
    Post Thanks / Like
    Doesn't seem like his trade value would be highest coming off of major knee injury. I love watching the guy play, when is the last time the Jets had a great player? Oh well, if they do it, they better get something good back in return, like a 1st round pick. I'm sure teams like the Niners and Broncos, maybe even the Packers, would be interested. Strong teams that are a piece away.

  17. #397
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    6,135
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaSteve View Post
    Here is a great reality check for all the people who think it would be a ridiculous notion to trade Darrelle Revis because he is the best CB in the league.

    Wayne Gretzky was arguably the best hockey player to lace up skates. He was virtually untradeable given that fact.
    Yet, the Oilers traded him for what amounted to being a bag of hockey pucks.

    How many Stanley Cups did it get the Los Angeles Kings: 0
    How many Stanley Cups did the Oilers win without Gretzky: 1

    If Wayne Gretzky is tradeable, and a franchise can win without him, then I think people who are against trading Revis because he is the best CB in the league (not even the most valuable position on Defense, let alone the entire team), then I would suggest a rethink on being open to trading him is needed.
    +1

    We still had a top 5 pass defense w/o Revis for 3/4ths of the season.

    If Revis played the whole season our record would still be 6-10.

  18. #398
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    52,055
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    This would be the most insanely idiotic thing they could ever do. Absolutely stupid on every level.

    But if the FO insists on doing pulling off the dumb deal of the century, I say at least TWO 1st round draft picks.
    Come on MJ. If the Jets were one or two players away from competing, then you don't even think about trading Revis. Unfortunately, that is not the state of the Jets today.

    Revis is the only player on the Jets roster who can bring significant value.

    Lastly, no team out there would ever give up two #1 draft picks for Revis. He's a CB, not a QB.

  19. #399
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    One hour. from MetLife
    Posts
    21,445
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Actually, I think this is a very good strategy by the Jets.

    Get it out on the table early and let interested teams contact you, and not the other way around.

    Jets have absolutely nothing to lose by taking this approach.
    Good call. Let everyone know and sit by the telephone. "So is that your final offer"

  20. #400
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    21,157
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Doesn't seem like his trade value would be highest coming off of major knee injury. I love watching the guy play, when is the last time the Jets had a great player? Oh well, if they do it, they better get something good back in return, like a 1st round pick. I'm sure teams like the Niners and Broncos, maybe even the Packers, would be interested. Strong teams that are a piece away.
    The way Champ Bailey got owned that last game the Broncos would be a good fit. They would have Peyton Manning lobbying for it I'm sure after what REvis did to the colts a few years back. They also must know that despite Manning looking so great the window for him is not going to be overly long.

    Washington could be a destination as well, they were 30th against the pass last year. Tampa Bay was dead last vs the pass but they still may think of themselves in rebuild phase. As horrifying as this sounds to some the Giants could be a destination as well, 28th vs the pass last year. Their DB's got exposed when their pass rush did not dominate.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us