Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Jets to "Explore" Trading Revis

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Fumes View Post
    Folks, we had to all know this was coming.

He is the best trade bait on the team. He is the only player we have that most of the league would want. And we all know he is gonna wanna be paid like Nhamdi and we all know that the team should not tie that much money into one player.

He affords alot of luxury defensively, I totally agree. But this team is not in a position to spend the kind of money he wants. I dont think Johnson should be making these statements, but I do think the idea should be considered before we simply get outbid for Revis next season. I think this should come from Idzik.

Let the man you hired handle football stuff. Maybe Idzik can get a deal done to keep him, who knows. But realistically, we all HAD TO KNOW that this was gonna come up.

Personally, I been saying to my friends since he got injured that he would get traded. They keep him this year, and he plays well, he skates next season... for nothing! I am sorry but allowing THAT is just stupid.
    +1 Nobody is untouchable if the price is right.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    Why cant the JETS just shut up about it?

We can only get less value each time Woody opens his mouth.

Sick of this unprofessional approach to everything
    Nah not really but like I said before the timing is odd to say the least. If the Jets want to keep Revis they need to act immediately to take advantage of the little bargaining chip they have as in his injury..

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    What? You think his trade value drops because Woody said they will explore trading him as opposed to Idzik contacting each team and tell them over the phone that they are willing to listen to offers for Revis?

I love it when Jets fans spin everything the Jets say or do as a "terrible franchise ruining decision."
    Actually, I think this is a very good strategy by the Jets.

Get it out on the table early and let interested teams contact you, and not the other way around.

Jets have absolutely nothing to lose by taking this approach.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like it....based on his contract Jets need to re-sign him or deal him now...only chance to keep him is to get him realistic financially. By dangling him out there the Jets get to feel the pulse for his market value and at the same time show Revis that they are serious about dealing him....maybe deep down he really wants to stay and by doing this a fair deal gets done.

either way I agree with what they are doing

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Finally some good news. Hopefully somebody will be willing to lock him up long term based on workouts and the Jets can get 1st to 3rd rounder for him.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Offer Revis a new 5 year, 45 mil contract, 22 mil guaranteed. Let him know that they will not negotiate a deal after the Draft.

If he declines, look to trade him, but set his price tag at 2 #1's. If no one bites, let him play out the last year. Yes this is risky for the Jets, but it's also a risk for Revis as well.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BrowningNagle View Post
    I like it....based on his contract Jets need to re-sign him or deal him now...only chance to keep him is to get him realistic financially. By dangling him out there the Jets get to feel the pulse for his market value and at the same time show Revis that they are serious about dealing him....maybe deep down he really wants to stay and by doing this a fair deal gets done.

either way I agree with what they are doing
    He may want to stay, but what Revis has shown is that he doesnt stay happy very long. Two years from when Revis signs his deal, he will become unhappy again and the whole feeling under-paid, possible hold out will resurface again.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a great reality check for all the people who think it would be a ridiculous notion to trade Darrelle Revis because he is the best CB in the league.

Wayne Gretzky was arguably the best hockey player to lace up skates. He was virtually untradeable given that fact.
    Yet, the Oilers traded him for what amounted to being a bag of hockey pucks.

How many Stanley Cups did it get the Los Angeles Kings: 0
    How many Stanley Cups did the Oilers win without Gretzky: 1

If Wayne Gretzky is tradeable, and a franchise can win without him, then I think people who are against trading Revis because he is the best CB in the league (not even the most valuable position on Defense, let alone the entire team), then I would suggest a rethink on being open to trading him is needed.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post

Get it out on the table early and let interested teams contact you, and not the other way around.

Pretty much.

It's not like this is a situation where teams can wait the Jets out because they'll have to cut the player. He's either on the Jets or traded.

Getting the word out could create a bidding war.

Also, I disagree with the people saying that Revis' trade value is low because of the injury. It's actually enhanced because teams trading for him will be looking to offer a more affordable extension.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    This would be the most insanely idiotic thing they could ever do. Absolutely stupid on every level.

But if the FO insists on doing pulling off the dumb deal of the century, I say at least TWO 1st round draft picks.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    What? You think his trade value drops because Woody said they will explore trading him as opposed to Idzik contacting each team and tell them over the phone that they are willing to listen to offers for Revis?

I love it when Jets fans spin everything the Jets say or do as a "terrible franchise ruining decision."
    I see your point. I am trying to think of this as a fresh start and getting back to being proud of the team I love.

When I hear Woody Johnson speak, especially when it comes to matters of football, I cringe. I believe he knows nothing and most of the times he puts his foot in his mouth.

Just recently he opened up his mouth putting the blame of Tebow on Tannenbaum during an interview for the GM position. It screamed of unprofessional-ism.

In this case you might be right. I would just like to hear less from Johnson because I dont think he knows a thing about football or sports in general

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree, this is a rare case where leaking the news is actually a good thing.

"interest" in revis can easily be exaggerated by using the press in this situation which is what we need.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejet22 View Post
    Offer Revis a new 5 year, 45 mil contract, 22 mil guaranteed. Let him know that they will not negotiate a deal after the Draft.

If he declines, look to trade him, but set his price tag at 2 #1's. If no one bites, let him play out the last year. Yes this is risky for the Jets, but it's also a risk for Revis as well.

If that is the money he was looking for the Jets would do that deal in a nano-second.

Consensus is that we are not winning the SB this year. So if he is going to leave after this year we might as well get something for him. No sense in just having him for one fruitless season and then letting him for for nothing.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LB54 View Post
    nonpremium?! Cb is probably the most important position in today pass happy league
    LOL, no it's not. Pass rusher is.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    This would be the most insanely idiotic thing they could ever do. Absolutely stupid on every level.

But if the FO insists on doing pulling off the dumb deal of the century, I say at least TWO 1st round draft picks.
    They will never get 2 1st round picks for Revis. One first round pick maybe, and that is only if the new team can sign him to a new contract.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Doesn't seem like his trade value would be highest coming off of major knee injury. I love watching the guy play, when is the last time the Jets had a great player? Oh well, if they do it, they better get something good back in return, like a 1st round pick. I'm sure teams like the Niners and Broncos, maybe even the Packers, would be interested. Strong teams that are a piece away.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaSteve View Post
    Here is a great reality check for all the people who think it would be a ridiculous notion to trade Darrelle Revis because he is the best CB in the league.

Wayne Gretzky was arguably the best hockey player to lace up skates. He was virtually untradeable given that fact.
    Yet, the Oilers traded him for what amounted to being a bag of hockey pucks.

How many Stanley Cups did it get the Los Angeles Kings: 0
    How many Stanley Cups did the Oilers win without Gretzky: 1

If Wayne Gretzky is tradeable, and a franchise can win without him, then I think people who are against trading Revis because he is the best CB in the league (not even the most valuable position on Defense, let alone the entire team), then I would suggest a rethink on being open to trading him is needed.
    +1

We still had a top 5 pass defense w/o Revis for 3/4ths of the season.

If Revis played the whole season our record would still be 6-10.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post

Come on MJ. If the Jets were one or two players away from competing, then you don't even think about trading Revis. Unfortunately, that is not the state of the Jets today.

Revis is the only player on the Jets roster who can bring significant value.

Lastly, no team out there would ever give up two #1 draft picks for Revis. He's a CB, not a QB.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Good call. Let everyone know and sit by the telephone. "So is that your final offer"

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Doesn't seem like his trade value would be highest coming off of major knee injury. I love watching the guy play, when is the last time the Jets had a great player? Oh well, if they do it, they better get something good back in return, like a 1st round pick. I'm sure teams like the Niners and Broncos, maybe even the Packers, would be interested. Strong teams that are a piece away.
    The way Champ Bailey got owned that last game the Broncos would be a good fit. They would have Peyton Manning lobbying for it I'm sure after what REvis did to the colts a few years back. They also must know that despite Manning looking so great the window for him is not going to be overly long.

Washington could be a destination as well, they were 30th against the pass last year. Tampa Bay was dead last vs the pass but they still may think of themselves in rebuild phase. As horrifying as this sounds to some the Giants could be a destination as well, 28th vs the pass last year. Their DB's got exposed when their pass rush did not dominate.