Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Jets to "Explore" Trading Revis

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by IX 7 III View Post
    The thing about that is, your weapons consist of a gun, a knife, a sling shot and a belt. If i take your gun away, i like my chances with the other weapons.

Hope that makes sense.

...and i fade back to black.
    I get your point, but people get beat to death with bats and stabbed with knives all the time and die from those injuries.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Well, not all of us can score 4 TDs in one game, John.

I'd love for Revis to stay in a Jets uniform for his entire career, but we're not going to be able to afford him. And, considering how many holes we have on this team, it would be irresponsible to throw MORE money at a CB who we don't even need.
    Only way we keep him and win ball games is if 2 or 3 draft classes produces a good amount of quality starters. Can't renegotiate those salaries, and the salaries are low. We need the following positions:

QB
    RB
    FB
    WR
    TE
    OT
    OG
    OG
    OLB
    OLB
    ILB
    S

Revis' salary can solve about 3 or 4 of those. ESPECIALLY the o-line.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    IMHO Revis probably had one of his top seasons ever as a leader for the Jets this year. Don't downplay his talks with Cro and Wilson, we know Cro was inspired by him after his injury (and played all pro CB this year) and Wilson has spoke highly of Revis since he arrived. For a team sorely lacking leadership you can't discount that aspect here.

I just hope the Jets realize the tremendous value this player has if they do in fact believe moving him would help the team.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    Youre missing the big picture here. Watt getting double teamed takes away another receiver because the TE is used to block and, now, other pass rushers have an opportunity to get to the QB and take away any throw.

Revis, on the other hand, takes away just one receiver. Leaving other WRs and the TE that wouldve been blocking a passrusher free to catch passes.
    You really think Revis doesn't afford the defense the same type of leveraging? You don't think his skills allow to send an extra blitzer comfortably or bracket another receiver without worrying?

Don't let Revis cap number and hold outs trick you into selling him short.

I can understand both sides of the argument, and I haven't decided yet if I would be for or against it, and probably wouldn't be until I saw the return.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    The dumbest thing is the people turning on Revis. "Mevis", really?
    He is selfish, come on, remember the Hard Knocks Holdout? That was embarrassing to say the least.

Saying that I am torn too, he is a great player, but I think if we can get a #1or a 2 & a 3 or 4 we have to trade him.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Talk to Revis and see what his contract demands are or at least find out the neighborhood. If he is going to be reasonable then sign him long term. If his demands are unreasonable for the team then work out a trade. Simple as that. Get a starter and a pick. Jets should be able to fill a starting position - either a guard or O Tackle or maybe a running back or an outside linebacker and a draft pick for Revis. Possibly just draft picks but if he's gonna have financial demands that will cripple the team then there is really no debate.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    We have a HOF-caliber CB, let's try to trade him. This is such Jets logic. Seriously, if we lose Revis who becomes our defining player? We have no one at that point who is top at their position besides maybe Mangold. We become what the Browns were (and maybe still are).

Not a fan of this at all but what would it take to make this trade palatable?

For me, it would have to be a mass overpay. Probably a first rounder this year and next year, a 4th rounder and a decent offensive player with potential (an Emmanuel Sanders for instance on the Steelers who have a glut of WRs).

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    Youre missing the big picture here. Watt getting double teamed takes away another receiver because the TE is used to block and, now, other pass rushers have an opportunity to get to the QB and take away any throw.

Revis, on the other hand, takes away just one receiver. Leaving other WRs and the TE that wouldve been blocking a passrusher free to catch passes.
    Taking away an opposing teams #1 WR is more valuable then making them use a blocking TE... Plus revis doesn't require safety help so it frees them up to do other things. Personally I'd rather keep revis and try to draft real pass rushers and build a dominant D instead of a 'good' D and a mediocre O. Unless we're talking a Herschel walker deal which I don't see happening

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kmsurfs2000 View Post
    revis is a MUCH better player -we ALREADY know what Revis has done for us
    Bull****. Nnamdi was widely considered to be just as good, maybe slightly behind Revis when he hit FA. Hindsight is 20/20 and you can say this now, but it wasn't the case back when Nnamdi was an FA. You don't give a cornerback quarterback-type money no matter how good he is. ESPECIALLY if the quarterbacks you DO have cannot do jack-sh*t.

Trade Revis, get some valuable draft picks, and establish a deadly offense for the first time under Rex.
    Last edited by Mogglez; 01-23-2013 at 08:39 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH_1962 View Post
    He is selfish, come on, remember the Hard Knocks Holdout? That was embarrassing to say the least.

Saying that I am torn too, he is a great player, but I think if we can get a #1or a 2 & a 3 or 4 we have to trade him.
    They were negotiating a new contract while the team was on Hard Knocks.

If you found anything about that embarrassing to say the least, you need to stop watching sports.

Pretty standard stuff in every sport with great players, they came to an agreement, not embarrassing.
    Last edited by Jet Nut; 01-23-2013 at 08:40 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is this a precursor to full scale rebuild?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mogglez View Post
    Bull****. Nnamdi was widely considered to be just as good, maybe slightly behind Revis when he hit FA. Hindsight is 20/20 and you can say this now, but it wasn't the case back when Nnamdi was an FA. You don't give a cornerback quarteback-type money no matter how good he is. ESPECIALLY if the quarterbacks you DO have cannot do jack-sh*t.

Trade Revis, get some valuable draft picks, and establish a deadly offense for the first time under Rex.
    nnamdi can only play one side of the field

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bull****. Nnamdi was widely considered to be just as good, maybe slightly behind Revis when he hit FA. Hindsight is 20/20 and you can say this now, but it wasn't the case back when Nnamdi was an FA. You don't give a cornerback quarteback-type money no matter how good he is. ESPECIALLY if the quarterbacks you DO have cannot do jack-sh*t.

No he wasn't. Nnamdi was strictly a boundry corner and was a great one, but he never proved he could do what Revis could do, however Revis proved 10x over he was capable of what Nnamdi was and more.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGKIDD325 View Post
    Is this a precursor to full scale rebuild?
    I believe that's where we're at, pal.

fortunately in this day's NFL, you can rebuild quickly.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cornerbacks don't win superbowls quarterbacks do. Trading him is the right thing to do IMO

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post

+1, 2yrs ago the 49ers were a joke now they are favored to win the Super Bowl!

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Bull****. Nnamdi was widely considered to be just as good, maybe slightly behind Revis when he hit FA. Hindsight is 20/20 and you can say this now, but it wasn't the case back when Nnamdi was an FA. You don't give a cornerback quarterback-type money no matter how good he is. ESPECIALLY if the quarterbacks you DO have cannot do jack-sh*t.

Trade Revis, get some valuable draft picks, and establish a deadly offense for the first time under Rex. :yes:
    That is the point though.

If you can really improve the O, have a D like we had last season. Or improved as our DL matures and improves, could help.

Lots of ifs though

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    Hell of a lot closer than we ever got without having the best defensive player in the game (i.e. the prior 40 years)
    98' we got to the afc champ game. No revis...

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanMadman View Post
    98' we got to the afc champ game. No revis...
    in 2000 trent dilfer won a super bowl

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post

I suppose we are. If the contract is going to be too big and you can get 3 picks back for him (2 1's), it may be worth it. Rookies nowadays don't make much money so you do have the opportunity to add multiple cost-controlled young players and also fill additional needs through free agency.

It's not farfetched to say that the Jets could legitimately fill 4 starting spots with good players by trading Revis.