Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Jets to "Explore" Trading Revis

Per Peter King's twitter, he says the Jets would "at least" want a first-round pick for Revis.\

btw I don't follow him .. .saw it on rotoworld. ... don't follow them either

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post
    You know what bother's me most about this?

"Jets owner Woody Johnson to explore trading Darrelle Revis"

Hey Woody you useless POS - Stay out of it and let the football people make the football decisions! And don't think for a minute anyone is buying your story about having nothing to do with Tebow. Everyone knows it was all you no matter what you say.
    Woody is the owner and should be involved in every major decision that impacts the team.

He let the "football people" sign Revis, Scott, Harris, Pace and Sanchez to ridiculous contracts that has virtually crippled the team.

I think you will see him much more involved moving forward.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Woody is the owner and should be involved in every major decision that impacts the team.

He let the "football people" sign Revis, Scott, Harris, Pace and Sanchez to ridiculous contracts that has virtually crippled the team.

The football person that made those moves is gone. Woody being more involved is scary. Very scary.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post
    The football person that made those moves is gone. Woody being more involved is scary. Very scary.
    I understand that pete.

But if the Jets decide to trade/resign Revis, do you really think Idzik will have the final say?

I just see Woody much more involved in all major decisions moving forward.

He got pretty burnt in the past being a hands-off owner.

Exactly how is that a fact?

If you asked all 32 GM's/HC's who they would rather have, JJ Watt or Revis, how many do you think would take Revis over Watt?

The correct answer is zero.

Revis is not the best defensive player in football.
    i would word it differently. i would say, revis does not have the most impact of any defensive player. revis may be the most talented, maybe, maybe not. but given the position he plays, he does not impact nearly as many plays as jj watt. and that's what's more important. sure revis can cover any wr. but he doesn't swat passes, doesn't clog passing lanes, doesn't stuff runs for losses and doesn't dictate the physicality of the line of scrimmage. he doesn't change pass protection schemes. he doesn't intimidate like watt does. that's what the revis camp on this site is overlooking. they see revis for his talent, not his overall impact. revis wouldn't help the jets beat the 49ers, b/c the 49ers would run that read option and revis would be nullified covering crabtree, then kap would start firing to davis and moss. he's not worth the money on this jets team.

All Pro
    This is a very sticky situation.

I am for trading Revis, but only for the king's ransom. The King's ransom is not what we will receive for him, because he is coming off of an torn ACL and we are not sure yet if he will be 100% the old Revis. We have no time to wait this out because he most likely will walk to the highest bidder in FA, and we not have, nor is he worth, the astronomical number it is assumed he will be asking for.

Do you get whatever you can for him this offseason? Do you wait it out and let him walk in FA? Do you try to negotiate a cap friendly deal with him and have 15-20% of your cap tied up into 2 cornerback without a franchise QB, pass rushers, or offensive weapons on the roster? What if Revis hardballs us during negotiations and he gets mad and walks to the highest bidder?

Idzik has his work cut out for him. I will not be the slightest bit of upset if Idzik decides to cut his losses and trade Revis this offseason to the highest bidder.

Agreed. It's nonsense to think that an owner would not be involved in decisions to trade/sign star players.And it would be suicide for any GM not to speak with an owner about such issues.

Also, LOL about people saying Woody is making football decisions and citing talk of trading Revis. It's not like this is some radical, new, out of left field idea.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    i would word it differently. i would say, revis does not have the most impact of any defensive player. revis may be the most talented, maybe, maybe not. but given the position he plays, he does not impact nearly as many plays as jj watt. and that's what's more important. sure revis can cover any wr. but he doesn't swat passes, doesn't clog passing lanes, doesn't stuff runs for losses and doesn't dictate the physicality of the line of scrimmage. he doesn't change pass protection schemes. he doesn't intimidate like watt does. that's what the revis camp on this site is overlooking. they see revis for his talent, not his overall impact. revis wouldn't help the jets beat the 49ers, b/c the 49ers would run that read option and revis would be nullified covering crabtree, then kap would start firing to davis and moss. he's not worth the money on this jets team.
    Best post of the thread.

Well said august.

Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    Agreed. It's nonsense to think that an owner would not be involved in decisions to trade/sign star players.And it would be suicide for any GM not to speak with an owner about such issues.

Also, LOL about people saying Woody is making football decisions and citing talk of trading Revis. It's not like this is some radical, new, out of left field idea.
    That's why he's at the Senior Bowl and I'm betting he reads Gil Brandt's draft reports and shares them with Idzik and Rex.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    That's why he's at the Senior Bowl and I'm betting he reads Gil Brandt's draft reports and shares them with Idzik and Rex.
    I don't think he is there scouting an OG from East Bumfuk State who will go in the 6th round.

But you can bet bottom dollar he will have a say in the Jets #1 draft pick, any major FA signings and also what to do with Revis and Sanchez.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

I understand that pete.

But if the Jets decide to trade/resign Revis, do you really think Idzik will have the final say?

I just see Woody much more involved in all major decisions moving forward.

He got pretty burnt in the past being a hands-off owner.
    I hear you but Woody being more involved will only make things worse. He can only stir the drink bad.

On Mike and Mike this morning Brian Billick asserted that this may be part of the overall negotiation process. The Jets know that they do not want to pay Revis the kind of money he's looking for, but Revis thinks he's worth it. The solution, equate the dollar figure Revis wants with other players and trades i.e. Carson Palmer. Tell Revis' Agent that if the Raiders gave up a first and conditional 2d round pick for Carson Palmer, Revis should be worth at least as much and send him on his way to find a trading partner for the Jets. If he finds a team willing to bite, great. If not, well then I guess Revis is not worth as much as Carson Palmer. This also "tests" Revis' claim that he wants to remain a Jet. If he wants to bust the cap with his contract, he could care less about the Jets.

At some point in a player's career he has to balance three goals: 1) money; 2) winning; 3) staying with your team. Call me cynical but I really do believe that Revis is all about #1 and could care less about the rest. If he wants to win and/or stay with the Jets, he signs a cap friendly deal for less money than he can get elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJets View Post
    Per Peter King's twitter, he says the Jets would "at least" want a first-round pick for Revis.\

btw I don't follow him .. .saw it on rotoworld. ... don't follow them either
    And they should. As I stated earlier a trade can be structured to get fair value.

The team trading for him will want him to sign a new deal. Ok. No biggie

Jets get a '13 #1. You then put in a % of plays Revis plays in '13. The higher the% the higher the '14 draft pick the Jets get.

It really isn't a difficult trade to make (of course the clueless moron media, writers, talking heads don't think or agree) once a team agrees on a new contract for Revis, which I'm sure the Jets/NFL will allow a window to negotiate.
    Last edited by C Mart; 01-24-2013 at 10:10 AM.

Why cant the JETS just shut up about it?

We can only get less value each time Woody opens his mouth.

Sick of this unprofessional approach to everything

Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    Here is a problem I see with this line of thought. Guys like Dlineman get measured by what they do. Guys like Revis are measured by what that other team does not do.

JJ Watt makes plays, has an effect but he does not totally take way the best player on the other side of the ball. Again I find it interesting is that people are talking about nullifying Revis. It is the other way around REvis will nullfiy your best receiver if playing man. He will often make you pay for going to his side playing zone.

In any case if they have no intention of playing him then they should explore trades. I do caution jets fans in thinking that because we had a good pass defense last year that Cromartie will always play at that level and that Landry will be around.

All League
    what a ****ing joke

Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    On Mike and Mike this morning Brian Billick asserted that this may be part of the overall negotiation process. The Jets know that they do not want to pay Revis the kind of money he's looking for, but Revis thinks he's worth it. The solution, equate the dollar figure Revis wants with other players and trades i.e. Carson Palmer. Tell Revis' Agent that if the Raiders gave up a first and conditional 2d round pick for Carson Palmer, Revis should be worth at least as much and send him on his way to find a trading partner for the Jets. If he finds a team willing to bite, great. If not, well then I guess Revis is not worth as much as Carson Palmer. This also "tests" Revis' claim that he wants to remain a Jet. If he wants to bust the cap with his contract, he could care less about the Jets.

At some point in a player's career he has to balance three goals: 1) money; 2) winning; 3) staying with your team. Call me cynical but I really do believe that Revis is all about #1 and could care less about the rest. If he wants to win and/or stay with the Jets, he signs a cap friendly deal for less money than he can get elsewhere.
    We are not in cap problems because of potentially paying Revis, we are in cap problems because of Sanchez, holmes, David Harris. I have no problem with exploring a trade but I refuse to blame the guy for asking for market value, and getting paid when the jets have garbage on the roster they are paying handsomely.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Here is a problem I see with this line of thought. Guys like Dlineman get measured by what they do. Guys like Revis are measured by what that other team does not do.

JJ Watt makes plays, has an effect but he does not totally take way the best player on the other side of the ball. Again I find it interesting is that people are talking about nullifying Revis. It is the other way around REvis will nullfiy your best receiver if playing man. He will often make you pay for going to his side playing zone.

In any case if they have no intention of playing him then they should explore trades. I do caution jets fans in thinking that because we had a good pass defense last year that Cromartie will always play at that level and that Landry will be around.
    even in today's pass happy nfl, a good pass rusher/run stuffer is worth more than an excellent cb. as we've seen with the giants, a very good pass rush can compensate for an average or a below average secondary. but a very good secondary can't overcome a bad pass rush. also, if the jets get behind in games, the other team is more likely to run the ball, which nullifies a lot of revis' value. watt has more value when his team is behind b/c he can stop those runs which are designed to eat clock. revis is still out there covering the wr and isn't impacting those games as much.

Folks, we had to all know this was coming.

He is the best trade bait on the team. He is the only player we have that most of the league would want. And we all know he is gonna wanna be paid like Nhamdi and we all know that the team should not tie that much money into one player.

He affords alot of luxury defensively, I totally agree. But this team is not in a position to spend the kind of money he wants. I dont think Johnson should be making these statements, but I do think the idea should be considered before we simply get outbid for Revis next season. I think this should come from Idzik.

Let the man you hired handle football stuff. Maybe Idzik can get a deal done to keep him, who knows. But realistically, we all HAD TO KNOW that this was gonna come up.

Personally, I been saying to my friends since he got injured that he would get traded. They keep him this year, and he plays well, he skates next season... for nothing! I am sorry but allowing THAT is just stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    Why cant the JETS just shut up about it?

We can only get less value each time Woody opens his mouth.

Sick of this unprofessional approach to everything
    What? You think his trade value drops because Woody said they will explore trading him as opposed to Idzik contacting each team and tell them over the phone that they are willing to listen to offers for Revis?

I love it when Jets fans spin everything the Jets say or do as a "terrible franchise ruining decision."