Thread: Daily News: Sanchez seeks retired QB Garcia as Mornhinweg mentor

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    This looks and sounds official to me.

http://m.usatoday.com/article/news/1847019

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJam Football View Post
    Now I don't remember saying the owners and NFLPA both did it to screw the Jets
    Why would you try to make a point like that? Your time of the month or u didn't get your morning coffee yet? My point was that This rule probably helped Robert Kraft the most because he had his offense and QB in place for a decade. Also they can't practice because they feel forced/intimidated ? Now I agree that's probably why that rule was put in place but I don't agree with that rule. Some teams and players need all the practice they can get. These players earn millions. Nobody is forcing them to play or choose the NFL as their career. If you don't want to practice and put in the time go back to working at a grocery store.
    Stupid rule that hurts most of the players in the league except for the few complaining prima donnas.
    Well if you would think you would know the rule doesn't get included and subsequently passed in the new CBA without the owners and NFLPA agreeing to it. But keep thinking it was all devised by Kraft to screw the Jets.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJets View Post
    Has Mornhinweg even been officially hired? wouldn't that be a kick in the sack if at the press conference today they say he won't be the OC
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Ok. Now that I think about it maybe it hasn't been officially announced. But we all know its coming.
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    I'm pretty sure one of us posted something official in one of the older tweet threads. Idk. When in doubt, check wikipedia.
    As close to official as I have seen.

18 Jan Adam Schefter Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter

As @caplannfl reported, Jets hired former Eagles OC Marty Mornhinweg as their OC.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mark Sanchez started rebuilding his career by reaching out to a four-time Pro Bowler for a graduate level course on the Jets’ new offense.

The Daily News has learned that Sanchez called retired quarterback Jeff Garcia this week to get a head start on the scheme of offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg.

Sanchez and Garcia confirmed that they spoke with the hope of getting together in Southern California in the coming weeks for some classroom and on-field work.

Mornhinweg, who was hired last week to replace Tony Sparano, was Garcia’s offensive coordinator with the 49ers and Eagles. In 2000, Garcia threw for a career-high 4,278 yards and 31 touchdowns under Mornhinweg. He rallied the Eagles to the playoffs after Donovan McNabb suffered a season-ending knee injury in the second half of the 2006 season.

Sanchez can’t speak to Mornhinweg about football-related matters at the team facility until the start of the offseason program in April, per terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement. So, it was Garcia who gave Sanchez some initial intel on Mornhinweg.

“It’s great,” Sanchez told The News. “Jeff sounds like one of those guys that keeps his old playbook and is still really into it. He really speaks the language of that West Coast offense. It’s nice to hear the schematic side, but also to hear what people think about (Mornhinweg).”

Sanchez took the initiative by calling Garcia, who is training quarterbacks as part owner of the new West Coast branch of the TEST Football Academy just outside San Diego dubbed “TEST West.” The Jet is looking toward getting his career back on track after the Jets missed the playoffs for the second consecutive season.

“Mark has just come off of a tough year, a tough experience,” Garcia told The News. “He’s had some great things that have happened early in his career and now he’s at that point where things really didn’t go all that well. He needs to resuscitate himself. He needs to resurrect himself not just for the fans of the New York Jets, but for his own teammates. He needs to prove that he is the guy that can lead them.”

Last summer, Sanchez spent time with former Jets quarterback Chad Pennington in Florida for a crash course on Sparano’s system. Now, he’s hoping that Garcia, who flourished under Mornhinweg at two different stages of his career, can give him a head start with some tips on the scheme.

“It’s similar to what I tried to do with Chad last year,” Sanchez said. “Jeff was real positive and had a lot of good things to say about Marty. So, we’ll figure that out.”

Sanchez’s interaction with Pennington last year was limited to classroom work, but it may be more extensive with Garcia this offseason. Sanchez also admitted that he intends to reach out to Steve Young, who carved out a Hall-of-Fame career in the West Coast offense.

“I know for a fact I’ll be calling him,” Sanchez said.

Garcia, 42, said he’s willing to help Sanchez in any way possible when the Jets quarterback comes back to Southern California in the coming weeks.

“It would be an ideal fit for me to be able to help him in this process of learning the new system,” Garcia said. “Just help him to continue to grow and hopefully come back next year and light the world on fire.

“It would be a natural fit for him to come down to San Diego, review the system and apply it to our field workouts.... I told him, ‘Hey, man. When you meet up with Marty, let him know that I can be your Mark Brunell.’”

Sanchez said that he was exposed to some principles of the West Coast offense at USC, so it’s not completely foreign. Garcia should be able to provide nuances from his 12-year NFL career as a prototypical West Coast-style quarterback.

“The main thing now is just getting him up to speed, getting him real comfortable with what he’s about to do in this next season and making sure that when that offseason program begins, he’s already mentally on top of the game to the point where he can just go out on the field and react and make it happen,” Garcia said.

Sanchez is at a career crossroads after he had 13 touchdowns and 26 turnovers in his fourth season, but Garcia noted that “the receivers were different every single week.”

“You never had any sort of continuity or any sort of consistency,” Garcia said. “There were a lot of missing pieces last year.”

New Jets general manager John Idzik, who returned from the Senior Bowl to have his introductory press conference on Thursday, is expected to sign or trade for a veteran quarterback to compete with Sanchez, who has a guaranteed $8.25 million base salary for 2013, for the starting job.

“I think the system would really fit Mark well with his ability to get outside of the pocket, create on the run, move the pocket and setup locations,” Garcia said.

Garcia said that Sanchez asked plenty of questions during their half-hour conversation.

“I know that he’s hungry,” Garcia said. “I know that he’s going to do whatever it takes to put himself and his team in a positive position. If I can help answer some of those questions and help him get more comfortable with what he’s about to go through, I’d be happy to do so.”
    Thanks for the article....

But in many ways this article makes me sick!!!!

I specifically said three years ago that Garcia was the type of back up Sanchez needed then so he could learn from him. People mocked me concerning Garcia then but if the Jets had gotten him in a caretaker role at that time, run the WCO instead of an offense that 75% of even the fans on this board said was inadequate, we wouldn't be in the position we are now.

The Jets didn't have a plan, they didn't. That is there was in plac no systematic plan for developing Sanchez as a QB under Rex Ryan's football philosophy. Rex basically admitted as much in last press conference.

For me, at least now I see the Jets having a strategy as opposed to saying "well so and so and so is my friend let's put him down" (examples Schotty and Coach Cav).

I think Sanchez is a good guy and has the tools to be an excellent QB. he cares despite what silliness people out here post at times. He tries to get better but guess what he needs to be told how to get better, guided to get better. Coaching matters!!!

But the truth is Sanchez stunk last year. Stunk. And while I have put the onus on the organization at more than 60% of that, that doesnt matter, because the rest , that 40%, was pure Sanchez stench!!

Even Sanchez's press confrences were maddening and shows how the Jets "PR" department of micromanaging his every word when he came in was insufferable and idiotic. They taught him to speak not from his heart but in vague generalities.

Mark would get up there after playing like CRAP and mumble something about how "we have to play better...and we left a lot of plays out there."

Are you kidding me!!!! WE!!! Good Grief!!

How about saying something like "I have to play better period or we are not going to win!" "I am the big boy in the room and I get paid like it, guys had better get there heads on straight cause I am not losing my starting position cause folks dont run the right routes." "But let me be clear this team is on my shoulders, I don't care what the coaches say players make plays and losers make excuses"........

Well you get my point. This organization did everything wrong with this guy from a developmental standpoint.

I like Sanchez I do but if he can't turn his mindset around then he cant be on the team. They keep him as the situation stands then he becomes next years Tebow and that would be OUTRAGEOUS.

So I for one am in a wait and see pattern. Lets see the Jets plan!!!

Finally IMO if the Jets have a plan, a real plan for Sanchez then I say roll the dice one more time concerning him, if not, then I don't care about the cap hit, the guy depspite my geniune belief in him has to be let go......

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sanchez puts in the necessary time and effort to get better (reaching out to Pennington, Garcia, Jets West Camp) but it never translates onto the football field in live action. I don't think he has it all mentally to be a good QB in this league...

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    Sanchez puts in the necessary time and effort to get better (reaching out to Pennington, Garcia, Jets West Camp) but it never translates onto the football field in live action. I don't think he has it all mentally to be a good QB in this league...
    Possibly. But when all you have heard from your HC during your whole NFL career has been "don't do this. Don't do that" what do you expect. That isn't encouraging growth. That's stifling it.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Fair points...but when I see Capernicke do the "muscle pose" in the end zone. That takes balls. Balls takes NO FEAR which is more than just talent. Its confidence.

That type of confidence comes from dedication to your craft which I dont think Mark has.
    LOL, SP, you're all over the map.

You go from maturity and leadership to ... endzone celebrations? Really? Chad Ocho Cinco had some good endzone celebrations. He was confident too. I guess under your definition that means he had dedication to his craft.

Sanchez simply sucks. Stop trying to use the lack of dedication, maturity, leadership, etc. spin. He just sucks. It's not about anything else. He simply sucks.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Fair points...but when I see Capernicke do the "muscle pose" in the end zone. That takes balls. Balls takes NO FEAR which is more than just talent. Its confidence.

That type of confidence comes from dedication to your craft which I dont think Mark has.
    This is nice leading up to the SB.

@CBSSports: Colin Kaepernick wants to trademark 'Kaepernicking.' These QB fads need to stop: http://t.co/LsHRJw9I

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJam Football View Post
    "Sanchez can’t speak to Mornhinweg about football-related matters at the team facility until the start of the offseason program in April, per terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement. "

Has anybody noticed that since the league came up with this new collective bargaining agreement the Jets have gone downhill. The new agreement happened after their second championship game in a row I believe. Did Robert Kraft have a major hand in this agreement? Because he knew that Brady and the Pats didn't need to practice as much because they have had the same system for years. This new collective bargain agreement has seemingly hurt the Jets - especially when they are putting in new offenses with new coaches.

Also what kind of rule is that Sanchez can't talk with Mornhinweg until April? How does that help anybody? Maybe the Jets practiced longer and harder than other teams but since the new agreement was in place they have become severely hampered. I'm guessing teams must now practice a lot smarter and make better use of their time on the practice field because it is limited. I don't think the Jets every made the proper adjustments to the new agreement and it has shown on the field. I guess teams might have to cheat this agreement just to,get more practice time in? All I know is after this agreement the Jets have not been the same team on the field.
    Nice conspiracy theory! LOL

Also since the new CBA, padded practices have been limited and that has seemed to hurt the Jets tackling and physicality on defense. IDK if it's the rule itself that has led to this decline or poor planning/adjustments by Rex and the Coaching staff because teams like the niners, Ravens and Seahawks seem to have zero problems with their tackling and physicality since the new CBA.....

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

@CBSSports: Colin Kaepernick wants to trademark 'Kaepernicking.' These QB fads need to stop: http://t.co/LsHRJw9I
    What exactly is "Kaepernicking?"

Looking like Dhalsim from Street Fighter?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Leadership! Maturity! Dedication!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Possibly. But when all you have heard from your HC during your whole NFL career has been "don't do this. Don't do that" what do you expect. That isn't encouraging growth. That's stifling it.
    Agreed CMart and I have always said that Mark's struggles is not ONLY on Mark, or ONLY on the Coaching staff. Mark may or may not have the tools to be successful in this league, but it isn't entirely his fault. I really think Rex, Schotty and Sporano have done a terrible job developing him. Look at tape from Mark's first start compared to some of his starts in 11' and 12'. Not the same QB.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    one thing that would help sanchez in the wco is that the ball has to get out quickly. his problems start when he holds onto the ball, that's when his bad decisions and fumbles occur. for as long as he's a jet, i hope this new system, if nothing else, has sanchez getting the ball out quickly, to rbs, tes, etc. positive gains and minimal turnovers.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome, he can join DeMarcus with his come back effort.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    Nice conspiracy theory! LOL

Also since the new CBA, padded practices have been limited and that has seemed to hurt the Jets tackling and physicality on defense. IDK if it's the rule itself that has led to this decline or poor planning/adjustments by Rex and the Coaching staff because teams like the niners, Ravens and Seahawks seem to have zero problems with their tackling and physicality since the new CBA.....
    Yes I agree all teams are obviously on the same playing field and Yes I would agree that there was poor planning and adjustments made by Rex and GM Tannenbaum . You also have to agree that teams that have had their system in place for decades would also have an advantage here. I'm not saying there was a conspiracy but I am saying these new rules apparently have hurt the Jets maybe more than the Patriots or some other teams - probably because of Rex's poor adjustments to the rule and because other teams systems been in place for decades. No major conspiracy against the Jets here.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    If Sanchez goes down to SD to work with Garcia, He has to make sure he protects his blind side.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ctjetfan View Post
    If Sanchez goes down to SD to work with Garcia, He has to make sure he protects his blind side.
    lol

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Ray Lewis &Co. will put that thought out of his head about 5 minutes into next weeks game.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sourceworx View Post
    What exactly is "Kaepernicking?"

Looking like Dhalsim from Street Fighter?
    HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHHAHA

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rhyan66 View Post
    Awesome, he can join DeMarcus with his come back effort.
    That would be an incredible training camp battle.