Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A "Trade Down, Please" Jets Mock

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

A "Trade Down, Please" Jets Mock

I really hope the Jets trade down to add a few more players and here's a scenario I think could actually be realistic.

Chicago can't keep Cutler clean, so maybe they trade up with for Eric Fisher, LT, Central Michigan (Or perhaps Taylor Lewan?)

The Jets send #9 to Chicago for the #20 a 2nd and 4th.

1. Sam Montgomery, DE, LSU - I don't love this pick and could be persuaded to take someone else. There questions about his work ethic, but he's got talent. Hope they go BPA here, no matter what.

2. Larry Warford, OG, Kentucky - MAULER.

2. Robert Woods, WR, USC - I don't know why he isn't rated higher. He's very similar to Holmes IMO.

3. EJ Manuel, QB, Florida State - He's a project but there is a ton of talent to work with. He's a smart guy and hard worker who I think has not played his best football yet.

4. Sean Porter, OLB, Texas A&M - Athletic, skilled edge rusher who has played OLB in both 3 and 4 man front.

4. Tharold Simon, CB, LSU - Could have been a high pick if he stayed for his senior year. Lots of talent: size, speed, ball skills. I think getting him here is a big discount.

5. Vance McDonald, TE, Rice - I'm hoping they finally address this position with something other than UDFA scrubs. McDonald has looked good in Senior Bowl practice and hopefully there's a little Jason Witten in there.

6. Michael Williams, TE, Alabama - Fantastic blocker and underrated athleticism. He could be a #2 in the league for a long time.

7. Chris Thompson, RB, Florida State - He is Leon Washington. If the ACL is healed, he will be an immediate contributor.

OK boys, bash away.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    I really hope the Jets trade down to add a few more players and here's a scenario I think could actually be realistic.

Chicago can't keep Cutler clean, so maybe they trade up with for Eric Fisher, LT, Central Michigan (Or perhaps Taylor Lewan?)

1. Sam Montgomery, DE, LSU - I don't love this pick and could be persuaded to take someone else. There questions about his work ethic, but he's got talent. Hope they go BPA here, no matter what.

2. Robert Woods, WR, USC - I don't know why he isn't rated higher. He's very similar to Holmes IMO.

3. EJ Manuel, QB, Florida State - He's a project but there is a ton of talent to work with. He's a smart guy and hard worker who I think has not played his best football yet.

4. Sean Porter, OLB, Texas A&M - Athletic, skilled edge rusher who has played OLB in both 3 and 4 man front.

4. Tharold Simon, CB, LSU - Could have been a high pick if he stayed for his senior year. Lots of talent: size, speed, ball skills. I think getting him here is a big discount.

5. Vance McDonald, TE, Rice - I'm hoping they finally address this position with something other than UDFA scrubs. McDonald has looked good in Senior Bowl practice and hopefully there's a little Jason Witten in there.

6. Michael Williams, TE, Alabama - Fantastic blocker and underrated athleticism. He could be a #2 in the league for a long time.

7. Chris Thompson, RB, Florida State - He is Leon Washington. If the ACL is healed, he will be an immediate contributor.

OK boys, bash away.
    I actually like mongomery, but would prefer dion jordan if he "fell" to 20.

Love the warford pick, apparently he has been crushing guys this week and offers more value in the 2nd then cooper in the first.

I do think we need a QB with the second, 2nd round pick though. Would love to get wilson there as I am not a fan of manuel.

After that I hear good things about the Rice TE but think we need to go earlier with a RB, probably 3rd or 4th round for graham, randle, franklin etc.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    I actually like mongomery, but would prefer dion jordan if he "fell" to 20.

Love the warford pick, apparently he has been crushing guys this week and offers more value in the 2nd then cooper in the first.

I do think we need a QB with the second, 2nd round pick though. Would love to get wilson there as I am not a fan of manuel.

After that I hear good things about the Rice TE but think we need to go earlier with a RB, probably 3rd or 4th round for graham, randle, franklin etc.
    If Wilson is still there with that second 2nd roudner, I'd be all for taking him... but I just don't think he will be. I think Bray, Manuel and Dysert might be the only ones left at that point.

I'm not the biggest Manuel fan either, to be honest. This is a swing for the fences pick.

I would like to get a RB early, but there are none I'm really in love with. I like Lacy most. Powell and McKnight should be OK for next year. They deserve a shot to play in a real offense.
    Last edited by TheMikeIsHot; 01-24-2013 at 08:10 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    If Wilson is still there with that second 2nd roudner, I'd be all for taking him... but I just don't think he will be. I think Bray, Manuel and Dysert might be the only ones left at that point.

I'm not the biggest Manuel fan either, to be honest. This is a swing for the fences pick.

I would like to get a RB early, but there are none I'm really in love with. I like Lacy most. Powell and McKnight should be OK for next year. They deserve a shot to play in a real offense.
    I really like powell actually as an every down back who can pass protect and catch the ball, but I think we need 2 guys and for whatever reason it seems like mcknight isnt it.

Id be happy with any of graham, franklin, randle etc...the later the better.

Wilson seems to me like a great fit for the offense we will run in 2013, as well as a "spread-type" offense with zone-read plays that we could run in the future if this staff isnt here. Im not worried about his height as he measured a legit 6'2 but the small hand thing is odd.

Id be shocked if geno, glennon, barkley and wilson are all first rounders.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think this trade workd for both sides. Watching Fisher in the Senior bowl practices, has distanced himself from the other Tackles. Please note that Taylor Lewan and Jake Matthews decided to back to school, creating a shortage of premium OT prospects, Chicago needs to go down to 9.
    I like this draft, my question is Larry Warford OG a good fit in Marty's WCO ?
    To facilitate this trade I would take the extra 4th round pick in 2014 if needed ( probably a 3rd in 2014).... This trade is realistic, the draft value tables give a huge edge to the bears, but this trade works well for the Jets

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    I really like powell actually as an every down back who can pass protect and catch the ball, but I think we need 2 guys and for whatever reason it seems like mcknight isnt it.

Id be happy with any of graham, franklin, randle etc...the later the better.

Wilson seems to me like a great fit for the offense we will run in 2013, as well as a "spread-type" offense with zone-read plays that we could run in the future if this staff isnt here. Im not worried about his height as he measured a legit 6'2 but the small hand thing is odd.

Id be shocked if geno, glennon, barkley and wilson are all first rounders.
    No, not all of them will be.

I think Geno and Barkley go in the 1st and Glennon, Wilson and Nassib go early-mid 2.

JO, thanks for the reminder on Lewan. So anyone who needs a LT is going to have to move up for sure, maybe even ahead of #9.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetOrange View Post
    I think this trade workd for both sides. Watching Fisher in the Senior bowl practices, has distanced himself from the other Tackles. Please note that Taylor Lewan and Jake Matthews decided to back to school, creating a shortage of premium OT prospects, Chicago needs to go down to 9.
    I like this draft, my question is Larry Warford OG a good fit in Marty's WCO ?
    To facilitate this trade I would take the extra 4th round pick in 2014 if needed ( probably a 3rd in 2014).... This trade is realistic, the draft value tables give a huge edge to the bears, but this trade works well for the Jets
    Lane Johnson from Oklahoma looks like he could in time be the best Lt to come out of this draft. He just very raw and isn't as advanced as fisher or Joeckel at this point but his upside is probably the highest. lance Johnson will probably test the best out of all the Lt prospects when they get to the combine.

Mayock said this iS a very strong Oline draft and cb draft in his opinion.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider9175 View Post
    Lane Johnson from Oklahoma looks like he could in time be the best Lt to come out of this draft. He just very raw and isn't as advanced as fisher or Joeckel at this point but his upside is probably the highest. lance Johnson will probably test the best out of all the Lt prospects when they get to the combine.

Mayock said this iS a very strong Oline draft and cb draft in his opinion.
    IMO lane Johnson is the 3rd rated LT, but I don't think that Lane can start in 2013, Fisher can...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice job. Now add in the picks we will get for Revis and we will be swimming in picks.

I would like to take a higher impact back earlier in the draft.

Although people would go ballistic on these forums I don't mind if they draft a Qb at all in this draft. Sanchez is going to be here. We sign a vet to compete with him. We keep Mcelroy, we go after our QB next year.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

OK boys, bash away.
    I want Jarvis Jones, or Dion Jordan, but if they're both gone I would trade down as well. I don't think we need a DE unless we're switching to a true 43, and then we need 2 olbs. I don't think Montgomery is athletic enough to play in space.
    Last edited by NY's stepchild; 01-24-2013 at 11:30 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jarvis Jones reminds me of Marcus McNeil.

McNeil was an awesome tackle coming out but had a broken back. He lasted, what, 5 years with San Diego before his body fell apart?

Jones' neck is a major concern. No way would I touch that.

Trading down from 9 should be out of the first round, in my opinion.

There's no reason to hold onto this pick and if somebody really wants a 2nd 1st rounder this year to potentially move up in the draft's top 3-5, then let them. If Idzik is REALLY good, he'll throw in the #9 pick into a Revis deal and obtain a 3rd or 4th this year and a 1st next year.

The first pick the Jets should make this year should be for a QB in round 2 and then hope they can get Marcus Lattimore in round 3, or vice-versa.

Landry Jones may fall to 3 and is getting rave reviews down at the senior bowl. Lattimore will hopefully recover and will have time to since Powell and McKnight can hold the fort until he is fully back from that awful injury.

I could be dreaming here, but this would be a great way to inject some excitement into this HORRID roster.
    Last edited by PMarsico9; 01-24-2013 at 11:24 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post

McNeil was an awesome tackle coming out but had a broken back. He lasted, what, 5 years with San Diego before his body fell apart?

There's no reason to hold onto this pick and if somebody really wants a 2nd 1st rounder this year to potentially move up in the draft's top 3-5, then let them. If Idzik is REALLY good, he'll throw in the #9 pick into a Revis deal and obtain a 3rd or 4th this year and a 1st next year.

The first pick the Jets should make this year should be for a QB in round 2 and then hope they can get Marcus Lattimore in round 3, or vice-versa.

Landry Jones may fall to 3 and is getting rave reviews down at the senior bowl. Lattimore will hopefully recover and will have time to since Powell and McKnight can hold the fort until he is fully back from that awful injury.

I could be dreaming here, but this would be a great way to inject some excitement into this HORRID roster.
    Wait, you want to trade Revis AND the #9 pick this year for a 3 OR 4 and a first next year???

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Wait, you want to trade Revis AND the #9 pick this year for a 3 OR 4 and a first next year???
    Seriously...there are no less than 31 teams in the NFL that would jump at that deal.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would do whatever it takes to gain a first rounder in 2014. The 2014 draft has much higher quality talent at the extreme top and this prevents giving up your first in 2015 to move up and get what is needed.

This trade is a no-brainer for anybody making it, even with Revis as rental.

Which is why it makes sense. You aren't going to get a first rounder for Revis alone.

You package him up for another 3rd or 4th rounder this year where there appears to be more value anyway, and a first rounder in 2014.

Then a CB on a 1 year (VERY CAP FRIENDLY I MIGHT ADD) 2013 contract who CANNOT be franchised after 2013 coming off an ACL a much easier risk to take since you are getting an additional 1st rounder this draft.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Landry Jones struggles facing pressure....and you think he will be a good NFL QB.

You should google some of blaine gabberts games and see how that worked out. Im not surprised jones would look good in practice (even though I havent read that at all) as he isnt going to be hit. NFL pressure is going to ruin him.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would do whatever it takes to gain a first rounder in 2014. The 2014 draft has much higher quality talent at the extreme top and this prevents giving up your first in 2015 to move up and get what is needed.

This trade is a no-brainer for anybody making it, even with Revis as rental.

Which is why it makes sense. You aren't going to get a first rounder for Revis alone.

You package him up for another 3rd or 4th rounder this year where there appears to be more value anyway, and a first rounder in 2014.

Then a CB on a 1 year (VERY CAP FRIENDLY I MIGHT ADD) 2013 contract who CANNOT be franchised after 2013 coming off an ACL a much easier risk to take since you are getting an additional 1st rounder this draft.

LOL..LOL....so you essentially want to trade this years #9 pick for an undetermined first round pick next year, and then trade Revis for a 3rd or 4th round pick. That is what you are proposing??

No kidding that is a no brainer for any team OTHER THAN THE JETS.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    LOL..LOL....so you essentially want to trade this years #9 pick for an undetermined first round pick next year, and then trade Revis for a 3rd or 4th round pick. That is what you are proposing??

No kidding that is a no brainer for any team OTHER THAN THE JETS.
    Lol not the brightest bulb there. His posts are often misguided and illogical.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lol not the brightest bulb there. His posts are often misguided and illogical.
    I had to read his first post several times to make sure that was what he was proposing, and not some typo error on his part.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had to read his first post several times to make sure that was what he was proposing, and not some typo error on his part.
    I like the part where he said that "if Izdik is REALLY good" he will do this trade. Actually that is more of a trade that someone that is REALLY bad would make.

Here is how the trade value chart works. A 2nd rounder in the current season is worth a 1st the next year. Straight up one could trade our 2013 2nd rounder for a 2014 first. Revis value is a 1st round pick and possible a 3rd as well. He is worth a 3rd round compensatory pick in the absolute worst case scenario where he stays then leaves in FA.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

OK boys, bash away.
    I like the trade idea ... well thought out, and realistic too. I'd take that if it was offered.

I'd like to see us pick up a safety at some point though (possibly even two, depending on what happens with Landry). I think we need to be developing our own talent there.

Fully on board with a high end WR and also picking up a guard in the first two rounds.