Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31

Thread: Sundquist won't Shut-up

  1. #1
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    6,883
    Post Thanks / Like

  2. #2
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    14,760
    Post Thanks / Like
    Woody Johnson, whose man crush on Rex Ryan was almost embarrassing at their belated season-ending press conference two weeks ago, may not be as enamored with his coach as he appeared, according to former Broncos’ general manager Ted Sundquist.

    Sundquist, who interviewed for the Jets general manager’s job before it went to John Idzik and hasn’t stopped talking since, told ESPNNY.com he didn’t think the performance Johnson put on at that Jan. 8 press conference was a measure of the Jets’ owner’s true feelings.

    “I know how that press conference came out,” Sundquist told the website. “I’m not sure if that was accurate. I think Mr. Johnson realizes there are weaknesses and deficiencies there.

    “He was adamant about how the players love Rex, their connection with him. But then he was like, ‘That said ...’ and he listed X, Y and Z, the things Rex needs to improve upon.”
    #Msg2Shrt

  3. #3
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    14,760
    Post Thanks / Like
    I really don't see the story here. I really don't.

  4. #4
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    39,385
    Post Thanks / Like
    Please don't troll the site posting articles with unreliable "sources" from tainted writers who have an anti-Jets agenda. This is getting tiresome.

    Support the Jets or move on.

    SAR I

  5. #5
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    1,781
    Post Thanks / Like
    If true, good. And Sundquist wants a TV gig or something badly. these days everyone seems to think if you spill the beans, you'll get a media job

  6. #6
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    6,883
    Post Thanks / Like
    He is not helping himself get a GM job, or even an interview for that matter with another team, if he divulges everything the owner says in an interview.

  7. #7
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    3,989
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think it is a good thing that we avoided hiring this person. He seems like a continuation of the circus we have endured lately...

  8. #8
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    436
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    This is getting tiresome.

    Support the Jets or move on.

    SAR I
    Yes, this is definitely the pot calling the kettle black. If there is an anti jet supporter on this site it is you. So pretty please with sugar on top take your own advice. Move on.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    13,518
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH_1962 View Post
    I think it is a good thing that we avoided hiring this person. He seems like a continuation of the circus we have endured lately...
    +1

    I was for the Jets hiring him too. The more he opens his mouth, the happier I am that they didn't.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    13,518
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfansocal View Post
    Yes, this is definitely the pot calling the kettle black. If there is an anti jet supporter on this site it is you. So pretty please with sugar on top take your own advice. Move on.
    In SAR's defense, he isn't anti-Jets at all. He doesn't like Rex Ryan. That's fine. I like Rex. We can argue back and forth over who is right, but it doesn't make either one of us less of a fan.

    The weird thing with SAR is his defense of Sanchez. He and I were two of the most anti-Chad Pennington people on here. When he defends Mark it sounds a whole lot like the pro-Chad people he used to tear into.

  11. #11
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    14,760
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sourceworx View Post
    In SAR's defense, he isn't anti-Jets at all. He doesn't like Rex Ryan. That's fine. I like Rex. We can argue back and forth over who is right, but it doesn't make either one of us less of a fan.

    The weird thing with SAR is his defense of Sanchez. He and I were two of the most anti-Chad Pennington people on here. When he defends Mark it sounds a whole lot like the pro-Chad people he used to tear into.
    He's not so much defending Sanchez as much as he's trying to point out that Rex created the problem that is Butt Fumble.

  12. #12
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    5,584
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can see why this guy wasn't hired, he hasn't shut his mouth since interviewing. He is clearly showing a lack of proper business decorum, and would have been eaten alive by the NY Media vultures.

  13. #13
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The depths of Despair.
    Posts
    39,886
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJets View Post
    If true, good.
    +1

    The idea that Woody really believes Rex knows what he is doing is incomprehensible to me. I'd like to believe, if we have to keep this blathering eejit, that Woody knows he needs strong guidance as far as personell decisions, media relations and being a complete Head coach who is plugged into all three phases of the game....and the lockeroom.

    That being said, I believe Woody's mancrust for Rex is strong and he'll let him continue his act for another year before he can use his GM as an excuse to cut him loose and run his line of bullcrap somewhere else.

    -
    Last edited by 32green; 01-24-2013 at 09:00 AM.

  14. #14
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    39,385
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sourceworx View Post
    In SAR's defense, he isn't anti-Jets at all. He doesn't like Rex Ryan. That's fine. I like Rex. We can argue back and forth over who is right, but it doesn't make either one of us less of a fan.

    The weird thing with SAR is his defense of Sanchez. He and I were two of the most anti-Chad Pennington people on here. When he defends Mark it sounds a whole lot like the pro-Chad people he used to tear into.
    Thank you.

    Regarding Mark, just to clarify, my only support there is that I think he's got a 30% chance of becoming a good QB with the right OC, QB coach, WR's, etc. He's lousy right now. If we find someone better in FA that's great, but until then give the kid another shot.

    Some have seen enough, that's fine, I just think he's worth another look. You can't use the Pennington analogy because he played in a consistent system with a set of consistent WR's he bonded with behind a Top 5 offensive line and next to a Hall of Fame RB. Mark Sanchez has never been bestowed with that type of support system and he still has outperformed Chad; imagine what life would have been like with Mark running Chad's old offense. Might have been special.

    SAR I

  15. #15
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    39,385
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfansocal View Post
    Yes, this is definitely the pot calling the kettle black. If there is an anti jet supporter on this site it is you. So pretty please with sugar on top take your own advice. Move on.
    Stop it.

    Earlier in the week I was slammed by the OP for doing the same thing the OP just did.

    SAR I

  16. #16
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    7,385
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is that a story? The only negative thing said was from the writer. Sunquist only said that the writers were wrong about Woody. Basically he's saying that the media assumption that Rex is running the place, and that they wanted a GM to suck up to him was a fabrication. See how they spin it? Woody says Rex is a great coach, and has his full support, they say he's enamored, and being led around by Rex. What a circus. Say that the new GM will have autonomy. Woody is not being played by Rex, and that while he realizes Rex is a good coach, he does have some things he needs to work on, then they say trouble in paradise. Woody was lying. Rex is in trouble. What a circus.

  17. #17
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,444
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    I really don't see the story here. I really don't.
    agreed. i'm sure rex knows that he has x, y and z things he has to improve on.

  18. #18
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    6,883
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've been as hard on Sanchez as anybody, but any QB that wins 4 road playoff games has something in him.

    We as fans get frustrated because we are emotional. Rationally speaking, the best possible scenario at QB for the Jets would be for Mark to succeed. Whether or not he can, or even gets the opportunity, remains to be seen.

  19. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    13,518
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Thank you.

    Regarding Mark, just to clarify, my only support there is that I think he's got a 30% chance of becoming a good QB with the right OC, QB coach, WR's, etc. He's lousy right now. If we find someone better in FA that's great, but until then give the kid another shot.

    Some have seen enough, that's fine, I just think he's worth another look. You can't use the Pennington analogy because he played in a consistent system with a set of consistent WR's he bonded with behind a Top 5 offensive line and next to a Hall of Fame RB. Mark Sanchez has never been bestowed with that type of support system and he still has outperformed Chad; imagine what life would have been like with Mark running Chad's old offense. Might have been special.

    SAR I

    That's not totally true.

    The O-Line and running game was consistent. I agree. But they screwed with his receiving corps just as much as they have with Mark's. He had a big year in 2002 with Coles. The next year they let Coles go to the Redskins. Then just as he's developing a rapport with Santana Moss, they trade him to Washington to bring Coles back.

    Do you remember the 2002 season? Chad looked great. Then the Raiders playoff game happened, and he never was the same player again.

    I think the Ravens game in 2011 was Mark's equivalent to that Raider game. He got the ever-loving sh!t beat out of him, and he hasn't been the same since.

  20. #20
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    13,179
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsFanatic View Post
    He is not helping himself get a GM job, or even an interview for that matter with another team, if he divulges everything the owner says in an interview.
    Unless he was doing a favor for Woody who wanted this out there in which case he is doing himself a favor by letting other owners know he will cover for them.

    Notice the CBS report on the Revis trade. This didn't come out that our GM was exploring a trade for Revis it's Woody exploring a trade for Revis. The Jets have an owner problem.
    Last edited by Winstonbiggs; 01-24-2013 at 09:14 AM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us