Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: *** OFFICIAL John Idzik & Woody Johnson & Press Conference Thread 01.24.13 ***

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    I hope you're wrong... I believe he is better than Tannenbum
    I've been an executive for 25+ years and John Idzik just rattled off every Business 101 cliche I've ever heard at every national conference in one 25 minute presser.

And the "its a process" and "Play Like a Jet", ugh.

SAR I

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    By the way,

Conor Orr ‏@ConorTOrr

Woody wouldn't say the report isn't true. Just said he would defer to Idzik and said he doesn't know where the report came from. #nyj

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    When will Custer realize that Idzik is not going to tell him personnel decisions right now? They're going in a circle.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tfine350z View Post
    I don't understand this "stand up to Rex" mentality....I would much rather have my general manager and coach compliment each other and work well together...people make it sound that Rex doesn't know football.
    Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    You dont have to stick your chest out in every situation. You cant tell from this press conference if he is "meek" when it comes to important decisions
    Both good points.

It is not so much as standing up to Rex as it is just not being a pushover. He can agree with Rex and not be a pushover. There is middle ground. Of course I want them to be able to work together.

I am hoping he is a wolf in sheep's clothing. We need a wolf.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    He just said on SNY with Custer, that competition will rule the day. Competition everywhere, including most importantly, the QB spot.

That is music to my ears. Finally, a real live QB competition and ONLY allowing the best players to play no matter what position it may be.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetsfan95 View Post
    When will Custer realize that Idzik is not going to tell him personnel decisions right now? They're going in a circle.
    He has to ask certain questions.

I like how Idzik is handling himself. Make it seem like he is talking a lot but he actually isn't saying anything.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks SAR, at work and couldn't watch

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Both good points.

It is not so much as standing up to Rex as it is just not being a pushover. He can agree with Rex and not be a pushover. There is middle ground. Of course I want them to be able to work together.

I am hoping he is a wolf in sheep's clothing. We need a wolf.
    That last comment telling the media to do their research certainly suggests that.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    No. He's establishing some history with the Jets, that he's not an outsider.
    I was joking.

Forgot the smiley. Trying to rile up the guys who are still fighting the battle to bring the Jets back to Queens.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Repair circus atmosphere:

"I look at is as fostering what we have here. We have a good group of people here. Its up to us all to join together. I don't sense dysfunction."

Was this guy on the moon all last year

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    I wonder what he'll do with Tim Tebow?
    They will do a thorough process of evaluating all players and it will be a collaborative decision.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was a little nervous at the beginning of the press conference, but I think he did a good job of handling the media. And really, if you can handle the NY media, there's nothing you CAN'T handle.

I also agree that this whole "perception" of needing a GM who can stand up to Rex is just that - a perception. Being more thoughtful and soft-spoken doesn't disqualify Idzik from being a tough GM, and I think he's got the right idea: make the decisions and do the work required to make the Jets better. It sounds like his focus is 100% on that mission, and I don't see anybody (big personalities or otherwise) swaying him from that mission.

That being said, we'll see how it all works out this season.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJets View Post
    his first time in front of this NY media and he's handling it very well. The man is prepared. That's a great start. Now let's hope it carries over.

And he said he hasn't looked over the roster with Rex and staff. oh, he has. and he knows who is gone

Agreed.... and he actually said he has not gone over the team with Rex and whoever else... HE DID NOT SAY HE HASNT DONE IT, just that he hasnt done it with the rest of the staff.

He looked over the team between interviews, prolly actually before his first interview. That article that was posted out here from his friend suggested that Idzik has files on local high school players, and that his buddy who works for whatever other team CALLS HIM to see what research he has on players.

Carefully worded answer that was...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think his comments seem fine with the direction the team should be headed in. He isn't going to give away specific personnel decisions when he has only been on the job for 3 days.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    He just said on SNY with Custer, that competition will rule the day. Competition everywhere, including most importantly, the QB spot.

That is music to my ears. Finally, a real live QB competition and ONLY allowing the best players to play no matter what position it may be.
    And this is the right time - perhaps the only time to do it. With so much of the roster in flux, this is a prime opportunity to change the culture of the Jets system. Quite a few interesting articles about how that culture of competition has worked for the Seahawks - and it sounds quite firmly like the "seahawks" approach is what is going to be instilled here.

I mean, everyone loves something when it's working - but I am encouraged to hear that nonetheless.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    You have to be on the same page as the coach but you also MUST stand up to the coach and make some moves he isn't in favor of.
    Maybe he's the quiet type who waits for Rex to be alone in the shower and puts a shive in his back?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    I've been an executive for 25+ years and John Idzik just rattled off every Business 101 cliche I've ever heard at every national conference in one 25 minute presser.

And the "its a process" and "Play Like a Jet", ugh.

SAR I
    I hope you're kidding.

That's what you do in pressers, you spit cliches and let the media print them. Then you go in the back room and take out the knife.

The GM shouldn't be making news in press conferences, SAR. He makes news when we see the product that runs onto the field in Week 1.

Are you telling me you wanted bold, groundbreaking news and rah-rah? Or, that you wanted him to disseminate some brand new knowledge or perspective on GMing that's never been heard before?

I didn't expect to hear the formula for Coca-Cola at his first press conference.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    Maybe he's the quiet type who waits for Rex to be alone in the shower and puts a shive in his back?
    Hey I am not suggesting the gm should try and do things to sabotage the coach but he has to avoid things like "giving Rex is one pick of the draft", Caving in a signing a guy long term if it doesn't fit long term. cutting obviously poor players that rex still likes (eric smith, bart scott, etc) Upgrading obvious areas of weakness despite the coach saying he can make do because he is such a great coach. (safety, olb)

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    I think his comments seem fine with the direction the team should be headed in. He isn't going to give away specific personnel decisions when he has only been on the job for 3 days.
    Bingo!

Media: "What do you think about Mark Sanchez at QB? Is he the starter?"

Idzik: "Did you watch him last year?" (laughs) "Would you start him?....No, he's not our starter. In fact, I'm trying to move him right now." (looks off to the right at an unknown guy in a suit wearing an earpiece) "(whispering)...did Arizona bite yet?" (guy puts finger to ear, nods no)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    I hope you're kidding.

That's what you do in pressers, you spit cliches and let the media print them. Then you go in the back room and take out the knife.

The GM shouldn't be making news in press conferences, SAR. He makes news when we see the product that runs onto the field in Week 1.

Are you telling me you wanted bold, groundbreaking news and rah-rah? Or, that you wanted him to disseminate some brand new knowledge or perspective on GMing that's never been heard before?

I didn't expect to hear the formula for Coca-Cola at his first press conference.
    +1

Nice burn.