Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: *** OFFICIAL John Idzik & Woody Johnson & Press Conference Thread 01.24.13 ***

Hall Of Fame

Arrow H-e-e-e-re's Johnny - News Conf. , Thu. 11 am @ jets facility in Florham Park, N.J.

For the second time in 16 days, the Jets will hold a major news conference. This time, it's to introduce former Seahawks executive John Idzik, who was hired six days ago as the general manager.Idzik, owner Woody Johnson and coach Rex Ryan are slated to attend Thursday's news conference. It will begin at 11 a.m. at the team's facility in Florham Park, N.J.

What to watch for (or what Jets fans want to hear) :

1. Why Idzik ? : The Jets' roster needs a major upgrade, yet they hired an executive whose specialty is the salary cap and contract negotiations. Johnson needs to explain to fans why he believes this model will be more fruitful than the previous one, which also was built around a GM (Mike Tannenbaum) who made his bones on the business side.

2. Johnny Be Good : After two decades as a background player, Idzik steps into the spotlight for the first time. No matter; he needs to take charge and spell out his vision for the franchise. The fan base has suffered enough; it deserves answers, not PR babble.

3. The quarterback situation : This is the hot-button issue. Will Idzik keep Mark Sanchez and his $12.8 million cap charge? Will he send Tim Tebow packing, like everyone believes he will? Nothing riles up New York fans more than a quarterback controversy, and they want to know how the new executive in the room -- the so-called answer man with an Ivy League education -- will sort out the messiest quarterback situation in the league.

4. The Rex Factor : Idzik and Ryan have nothing in common other than the fact their fathers are former Jets assistant coaches (about 10 years apart). Oh, yes, Idzik and Ryan also worked as ball boys at Jets training camps. That alone won't make this a successful marriage. Everyone wants to hear why Idzik would take the job knowing he had to keep Ryan for at least a year.

5. Sailing to Revis Island : Darrelle Revis will be an unrestricted free agent in one year. Tough call for Idzik: Does he sign him to a long-term extension coming off major surgery, let him play out the deal or trade him? Idzik is known as a skilled negotiator; he'll need those talents to deal with Revis' hard-line agents. It's be interesting to get his take on Revis' future and other contract/cap-related issues.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...e-e-res-johnny

This is all I need to hear to know that this is still the SOJs

"MOBILE, Ala. ó Jets general manager John Idzik and senior personnel executive Terry Bradway fixed their stare at the quarterbacks at the North teamís Senior Bowl practice yesterday morning."

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/...SaXpbx7grvKjUN

Feels like Christmas eve. Can't wait.

Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Feels like Christmas eve. Can't wait.
    the gift that keeps on giving. someone make it stop

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by ColonelForbin View Post

"MOBILE, Ala. ó Jets general manager John Idzik and senior personnel executive Terry Bradway fixed their stare at the quarterbacks at the North teamís Senior Bowl practice yesterday morning."

LOL

So the Jets are actually showing interest in young QB's?

My, what a terrible thing.

Quote Originally Posted by ColonelForbin View Post

Because they are doing their jobs aka scouting and evaluation? Wow!

Jets Insider VIP
    Woody: "So I'd like to introduce John Idzik and open it up for questions."

Manish: "Hey Idzik, when did you decide that your first goal after getting this job would be to trade the best defensive player in the Jets history? Are you doing this because you're a Cap Guy?"

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Woody: "So I'd like to introduce John Idzik and open it up for questions."

Manish: "Hey Idzik, when did you decide that your first goal after getting this job would be to trade the best defensive player in the Jets history? Are you doing this because you're a Cap Guy?"
    I want to laugh, but I'm numb.

Mebbe he thinks he can get two little Revis's for the big one.

-

Idzik will leave no stone unturned...and no door standing either

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8r6OAaIsG8

Team needs rebuilding. Rex needs to go at least .500 to save his job. Rex will push for quick fix---he will win. Jets will lose.

I hope he handles himself well, and gives the media nothing to go on. "Woody brought me in to change the direction of this Org." "I'm looking forward to working with Rex" "I'm gonna take my time and look over the whole roster" "I'm gonna do my due diligence and listen to any and all offers" "Let's Go Jets"

Idzik needs to be confident, assertive and speak clearly and he will impress. We know Woody is shy behind the mic and Rex isn't exactly all business at the podium, so seeing a departure from this will make for a great first impression. And I hope Idzik is able to get across that he isn't just a "Cap Guy" like so many are painting him. End that nonsense speculation.

The Widzik of Oz is here!

Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    The Widzik of Oz is here!

You wonder if he really knows what he's in for. The Media loves killing us.

Quote Originally Posted by mikekc View Post
    You wonder if he really knows what he's in for. The Media loves killing us.
    That smile is one of a man who hasn't seen the way the NY media hunts anyone associated with the Jets.

Hall Of Fame
    He needs a nickname.

And is this the official presser thread? If so, Mods please change title.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    He needs a nickname.

And is this the official presser thread? If so, Mods please change title.
    We should just call him Izzy.

JetsInsider.com Legend

*** OFFICIAL John Idzik & Woody Johnson & Press Conference Thread 01.24.13 ***

I'll follow the presser and post relevant comments here on Post #1 as it progresses

* * * Hit REFRESH on This Post to See Live Updates * * *

Woody: "Welcome, this is a very important day. Just finished a process where we interviewed a number of very qualified people to assume the GM job. That process was we wanted to be very thorough and careful, and so we hired Korn/Ferry and Jed Hughes and set out the criteria. Throughout the process and after interviewing John it was clear that he was head and shoulders above the rest."

W: "He's a second generation football guy, his long 20 years in every fascet of the businesses from cap to workout room he's done it all. If you go back to Arizona or Seattle they will confirm what kind of person he is and that he's the right person for the New York Jets in 2013."

W: "Let me introduce John Idzik." (applause)

Idzik: "Thank you, thank you. Welcome, appreciate your attendance and your patience."

I: "Thank you Mr. Johnson, you made me feel right at home. Thanks to Glat, Ryan. Every step in the process I felt like a member of the New York Jets. Spent time in Mobile with Scott Cohen and Terry Bradway, looking at Senior Bowl dual-day practices, really appreciate them letting us to get to know each other. Can hit the ground running when they come back."

I: "Spending time with those scouts and players down there is like riding a bike."

I: "My dad was here, I am very happy to be back. (Talking about family, father a Jets coach). I spent a lot of time with my father, treasure the times at Hofstra and Shea, not just for time with my dad but he taught me life lessons that extend well beyond football. Get a sense that family, cohesion, and teamwork are at my core and in the NFL."

I: "In Seattle, tremendous building, led by Paul Allen, Pete Carroll, GM, very special. I feel that here in NY. We are in this all together and that's how we are going to build a sustained winner. Something that we'll all be proud of."

I: "Beyond Seattle, I had the good fortune to work with many people. Tony Dungy, Rod Graves, are lifelong friends and we've built things together and it's been very rewarding. All those experiences have solidified the power of "we". The power of "we over me". And that's something that's going to be very powerful here in New York. Collaberative effort, inclusive, well thought out, well researched, the "power of we".

I: "A constant influx of competition. Explore every measure to bring in talent and continue to compete. The draft will be very important at a lifeline for us. Free agency will be thoughtful, judicious, full of research."

I: "Searching for guys who 'Play Like A Jet'. The most immediate issue is addressing the current roster. I come in from the outside, Rex and the scouting department have lived with these players. I want to get to know them in depth. Going to do a thorough review. Then short-term plans leading into free agency and the cap and of course the draft."

**** QUESTIONS NOW ****

On collaberative effort: "Making the final decisions, when I say being collaborative, that's genuine, so my role is to develop consensus and provide direction. So that when we make decisions they are Jet decisions. I may hand in the card, but we make the decisions together. As far as my background, I have been around players since I was knee-high, I have had a myriad of different perspectives which I can lend to the Jets."

On staff changes: "I have only been on the job 3 days, been out of state for that time, have been impressed with Rex and Terry and the personnel staff, Scott, Jo Jo, Jeff, Mike, Ari and my initial impressions are that we have a strong group here."

On Rex Ryan: "I look at him as an energetic, engaging, talented coach. He gets them to play hard. I can speak to that from the opponent side. I look forward to our time together. That (having Rex here), to me, was a plus."

Salary cap an issue: "Every year you are always going to develop a plan and we'll do that in the days to come. I don't see our situation as a hinderance or anything like that. We research, we pour through, we make the moves that are best for the Jets."

Interview preparation: "Lot of pressure in the NFL to answer the question 'who' and 'when' and got the sense that Woody and Korn/Ferry did a very open, candid, informative job in conversations. The more we talked the better we felt."

Level of challenge: "Every year is a challenge. You can go as far as the Conference Finals you can go to the Super Bowl, but every year is a clean slate and you build off of that and try to improve daily."

Mark Sanchez thoughts: "Well Mark, obviously with Pete we have a familiarity from school. I just got here, don't want to drill down too deeply, we'll save that for our evaluation process in the days to come. He's an athletic guy, accomplished at SC, did some nice things here, we need to evaluate along with every other player on the roster."

Couldn't give the GM job away: "Everyone is going to have their opinions. I don't deal with perception, I deal with reality. This is a great infrastructure, great fans, huge advantage in Seattle, I feel that here. We have state of the art stadium and facility. The people in this building are tremendous. The more I got to know about the environment, I think the football infrastructure is second-to-none. My opinion is that this is a great GM opportunity."

Timetable to improve: "Every day, under no pressure, no discreet timetable. Competitive team, will make us better, a force in the league."

Trade Revis rumor: "Premature, just got here, haven't vetted our roster. Presumptuous. Have to go through our roster and develop a comprehensive plan."

Cap guy perception: "Whatever I do in football I do for our team. I have a broad background, extensive background in personnel. If my team needs me to go on the road, I'll go on the road. If I need to stay here, I'll stay here. If I have to be running the cap, I'll run the cap. Chipping-in, collaborative effort, doing what I need to do with football operations."

Breaking a personnel tie: "Completely comfortable in that area. Develop a baseline, develop a course off of that. Every draft choice is important to us."

What is your philosophy: "It has to start with the people in the building, players coaches scouts operations. Develop a Jet profile, that they "Play Like A Jet" and their football acumen and everything else to put together."

New beginning for Rex, do-over: "Every day is a new beginning. We have new beginnings throughout the entire year. I look at this year as a burst of energy. I'm excited about it. I'm enthused about it."

Playoff mandate: "Push the envelope and make sure everyone is doing their best, and the end result of that is sustainability."

Repair circus atmosphere: "I look at is as fostering what we have here. We have a good group of people here. Its up to us all to join together. I don't sense dysfunction."

Player background, cap guy: "Football is at the root of who I am. I've been a football guy so to speak since I was a six year old. I got into the league purely as a scout. If there are perceptions please ask those that I've worked with."

END OF CONFERENCE

SAR I
    Last edited by SAR I; 01-24-2013 at 11:29 AM.

Jets hired a new GM?

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri_0515 View Post
    Jets hired a new GM?
    No new cap manager.

Woody is negiotating a Revis trade and scouting players at the Senior Bowl.