Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: *** OFFICIAL John Idzik & Woody Johnson & Press Conference Thread 01.24.13 ***

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    Maybe he's the quiet type who waits for Rex to be alone in the shower and puts a shive in his back?
    Yes, people underestimate him at their peril.

Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    I hope you're kidding.

That's what you do in pressers, you spit cliches and let the media print them. Then you go in the back room and take out the knife.

The GM shouldn't be making news in press conferences, SAR. He makes news when we see the product that runs onto the field in Week 1.

Are you telling me you wanted bold, groundbreaking news and rah-rah? Or, that you wanted him to disseminate some brand new knowledge or perspective on GMing that's never been heard before?

I didn't expect to hear the formula for Coca-Cola at his first press conference.
    Most of the time, people who need to spout on about how successful they've been without provoking aren't all they're cracked up to be. That's a form of over-promising, which often leads to under-delivering...case in point rex...come to think of it, Rex and SAR are eerily similar in that regard! Good to see Idzik deals in reality rather than hypotheticals and presupposition.
    Last edited by bjetsb; 01-24-2013 at 12:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Hey I am not suggesting the gm should try and do things to sabotage the coach but he has to avoid things like "giving Rex is one pick of the draft", Caving in a signing a guy long term if it doesn't fit long term. cutting obviously poor players that rex still likes (eric smith, bart scott, etc) Upgrading obvious areas of weakness despite the coach saying he can make do because he is such a great coach. (safety, olb)
    The guy has been here for a cup of coffee. He seems like a very decent, principled guy. That doesn't mean he's going to good or bad, but it doesn't mean he is going to be a walkover either. He could just as easily be a very competent, quiet killer as a guy who will be bullied.

We need a strong capable GM to fix this thing. It's not unreasonable to be skeptical based on Woody's past hires. I wouldn't read into his demeanor to much.

I like guys who are overly gratitious to their fellow workers. The question is do they mean it?

Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    By the way,

Conor Orr ‏@ConorTOrr

Woody wouldn't say the report isn't true. Just said he would defer to Idzik and said he doesn't know where the report came from. #nyj

I thought the leak was Mike Pettine ?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Sounds like he values ALL draft picks unlike Tanny who went for a beer after round 3.
    LMFAO

Quote Originally Posted by ColonelForbin View Post
    This is all I need to hear to know that this is still the SOJs

"MOBILE, Ala. ó Jets general manager John Idzik and senior personnel executive Terry Bradway fixed their stare at the quarterbacks at the North teamís Senior Bowl practice yesterday morning."

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/...SaXpbx7grvKjUN
    and why is that? because they are scouting?

His answer concerning the Jets as a dysfunctional circus..."what circus?"(paraphrasing). Which means to me...he knows that the media is projecting. Projecting and sensationalizing...massaging. And that when you take that media projection and measure it to the actual reality concerning the people in the building that comprise this Jets organization...Idzik sees a good mix of intelligence...experience and know how.

You could sense that Idzik is naturally shy and reserved. So within that context...to me...the media looked more intimidated by Idzik and his presence ...then Idzik was of them. He's not impressed or intimidated by the media's pretentious...and hollow perceptions...these rag whiners keep massaging...that the Jets are a dysfunctional circus. Idzik isn't buying their bullsh!t...like many fans do.

Attaining two consecutive AFCCGs is in reality an organizational effort...owner...GM-Personnel Dept...HC-CS...and the players themselves. So there's enough good quality individuals within the NYJ, to start the rebuild. And get the Jets other opportunities for the playoffs and the Lombardi Trophy.

As I said a couple of days ago in another thread. Idzik...Rex...Morhinweg-Lee...these are football men. Professionals in their field. They are part of that fraternal community...that have a passion and love for this game of football. They will all look each other in the eye...and give one another...an honest handshake. Then roll up their sleeves and go to work as a team.

I personally don't believe that Rex is 2013 HC fodder...one and done. Morhinweg-Lee OC-QB coaching fodder...and so on with this CS. IMO...that's not the character or professionalism of how Idzik is going to operate. He's not taking a paycheck from Woody under false pretenses. Idzik knows that Woody believes that Rex...if provided a functional NFL offense. And an overall upgrade of talent. That Rex can get the Jets to another AFCCG...and beyond to a Lombardi Trophy. And maybe Idzik has no problem with Woody's belief in Rex. Same goes with Bill Pollian or Korn-Ferry.

IMO...Idzik was the smartest guy in that room. And through the day to day process of working with the Scout-personnel departments, the HC-CS, and the player roster...he is equipped to empower and evaluate. And make the changes that are necessary for the Jets to move forward.

Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Bingo!

Media: "What do you think about Mark Sanchez at QB? Is he the starter?"

Idzik: "Did you watch him last year?" (laughs) "Would you start him?....No, he's not our starter. In fact, I'm trying to move him right now." (looks off to the right at an unknown guy in a suit wearing an earpiece) "(whispering)...did Arizona bite yet?" (guy puts finger to ear, nods no)
    Realistically, the only full game Idzik watched Sanchez play this season was probably the game out in Seattle, and I think Mark's performance spoke for itself. No way he left that game thinking Sanchez was a quality NFL starter

Quote Originally Posted by GreenReaper View Post
    His answer concerning the Jets as a dysfunctional circus..."what circus?"(paraphrasing). Which means to me...he knows that the media is projecting. Projecting and sensationalizing...massaging. And that when you take that media projection and measure it to the actual reality concerning the people in the building that comprise this Jets organization...Idzik sees a good mix of intelligence...experience and know how.

You could sense that Idzik is naturally shy and reserved. So within that context...to me...the media looked more intimidated by Idzik and his presence ...then Idzik was of them. He's not impressed or intimidated by the media's pretentious...and hollow perceptions...these rag whiners keep massaging...that the Jets are a dysfunctional circus. Idzik isn't buying their bullsh!t...like many fans do.

Attaining two consecutive AFCCGs is in reality an organizational effort...owner...GM-Personnel Dept...HC-CS...and the players themselves. So there's enough good quality individuals within the NYJ, to start the rebuild. And get the Jets other opportunities for the playoffs and the Lombardi Trophy.

As I said a couple of days ago in another thread. Idzik...Rex...Morhinweg-Lee...these are football men. Professionals in their field. They are part of that fraternal community...that have a passion and love for this game of football. They will all look each other in the eye...and give one another...an honest handshake. Then roll up their sleeves and go to work as a team.

I personally don't believe that Rex is 2013 HC fodder...one and done. Morhinweg-Lee OC-QB coaching fodder...and so on with this CS. IMO...that's not the character or professionalism of how Idzik is going to operate. He's not taking a paycheck from Woody under false pretenses. Idzik knows that Woody believes that Rex...if provided a functional NFL offense. And an overall upgrade of talent. That Rex can get the Jets to another AFCCG...and beyond to a Lombardi Trophy. And maybe Idzik has no problem with Woody's belief in Rex. Same goes with Bill Pollian or Korn-Ferry.

IMO...Idzik was the smartest guy in that room. And through the day to day process of working with the Scout-personnel departments, the HC-CS, and the player roster...he is equipped to empower and evaluate. And make the changes that are necessary for the Jets to move forward.
    Excellent post.

POST OF THE YEAR

Thank you to the MOD that Merged SAR's self indulgent thread about Idzik press conference into this one. Well played sir. Now his post gets lost in the shuffle of hundreds of other posts, as it deserves to be.

A good post around here can't get bumped enough. Well said!

Quote Originally Posted by ucrenegade View Post
    LMFAO
    i can see tanny saying, ok, next 'round' is on rex!

All Pro

Great post and I absolutely second the belief that Idzik is not at all intimidated by the NY media and he is very confident in himself being a football lifer.

It was funny and telling how he absolutely destroyed the last question of the press conference as another reporter tried to push the PERCEPTION that he is a cap guy which he had already commented on like 2 or 3 times. Politely he said that the NY media is one of great resources and that they should just use those resources and talk to people with whom he has worked. End of story.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Would you feel the same in 12 months if we finish 3-13? Izdik deserves time to get this thing fixed, but Rex should be coaching for his job in 2013. The scouting department should be on the hot seat too.

excellent post..

i am truly hoping for the best.. sick of feeling negative about the NYJ.. so gonna take another tact and hope that woody got this right and rex can actually coach given enough talent around him...

i like this hire and i dont think this guy looks overmatched at all...

looking forward to him digging into this franchise and be ready to win it all in 3-4 years...

but we gotta get some luck finding that qb...

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Would you feel the same in 12 months if we finish 3-13? Izdik deserves time to get this thing fixed, but Rex should be coaching for his job in 2013. The scouting department should be on the hot seat too.
    Idzik...right this moment...is starting the process of evaluating everyone in that Jets building.

Yes...I think Idzik is equipped to properly evaluate the Jets 2013 season...and make that tough decision. The fate of Rex-CS and the players too... are definitely in his hands. Who stays...who goes...these kinds of decisions are typical for every GM in the NFL. I'm fine with Idzik firing Rex...if that's what he sees is necessary...in order for the Jets to move forward. It's his call.

Idzik may just tweak or make significant changes in the scouting-personnel departments too...depending on how the 2013 draft/FA evaluations turns out.

Any important decision a GM gets right...is going to benefit the team. And so is the opposite true. Make bad decisions on important matters...and it could ruin the team's fortunes for a season...or much longer.

I think Idzik is smart and capable. And will make way more good decisions then bad ones. IMO...Jets fortunes are in good hands with Idzik.

@ESPNNY98_7FM: #Jets GM John Idzik joins @RealMichaelKay & @DonLagreca at 3:15 p.m. ET. Listen on 98.7 FM & http://t.co/z4Z6aKMs @ryanthurley #NYJets #NYJ

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    @ESPNNY98_7FM: #Jets GM John Idzik joins @RealMichaelKay & @DonLagreca at 3:15 p.m. ET. Listen on 98.7 FM & http://t.co/z4Z6aKMs @ryanthurley #NYJets #NYJ
    I wonder if Sooth is going to have a show tonight or tomorrow. With guests...giving their take on the Idzik hire and presser.

He should.

All Pro
    Ok, just watched the entire press conf for a second time and like Idzik even more than I did before. Just get the feeling that this guy gets it and is going to do an excellent job.

One interesting thing I did notice that I missed previously - he looks calm, assured and open in answering every question, except one....the question over the future of Mark Sanchez. On that answer, he starts to touch his face a lot, scratch his nose etc when talking about Sanchez's good qualities. As any amateur psychologist can tell you, touching your face like that is an indication that you don't believe what you are saying and attempting to deflect. I found that interesting. He happily knocked all questions on other subjects out of the park - his own qualifications, Rex's future, Revis etc. But with the Sanchez question, there were clear signs he didn't believe what he was attempting to sell on Sanchez's strengths and future. Worth watching.