Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Yup, This Is A Cap Guy And Rex Is Running The Show

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    You are totally clueless. You have no idea what you're talking about. Please stop telling us what to think.
    I'm not telling you what to think. I am telling you what I think.

This guy is a polished businessman, full of Grad School 101 cliche's. I've been in enough executive meetings to know what I just heard. Instead of a powerful GM with conviction who wants to put his personal stamp on the team, we have another game manager.

He'll build a better process, he'll have some great forms, he'll have a swell set of spreadsheets. Where we go from there is up to him, but for the first few seasons we're looking at a raw Mike Tannenbaum.

That's how I see it, that's how anyone in the business world will see it, you are free to feel differently.

SAR I

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Idzik telling #Jets beat writers to look back on his body of work and who he worked for, nullifying, he's not just a cap guy. #Jets

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    If after hearing that press conference this isn't 100% cemented as fact I don't know what is.

SAR I
    Your post quoting the conference seems to say otherwise:

Cap guy perception: "Whatever I do in football I do for our team. I have a broad background, extensive background in personnel. If my team needs me to go on the road, I'll go on the road. If I need to stay here, I'll stay here. If I have to be running the cap, I'll run the cap. Chipping-in, collaborative effort, doing what I need to do with football operations."

Breaking a personnel tie: "Completely comfortable in that area. Develop a baseline, develop a course off of that. Every draft choice is important to us."

Player background, cap guy: "Football is at the root of who I am. I've been a football guy so to speak since I was a six year old. I got into the league purely as a scout. If there are perceptions please ask those that I've worked with."

SAR I

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Idzik basically said reference Cap Guy rep, thats BS, I came into league as a Scout. Ask who I work with before writing stories

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm really sorry. I don't want to feel this way.

I've been an executive for 25+ years and John Idzik just rattled off every Business 101 cliche I've ever heard at every national conference in one 25 minute presser.

And if looking at him and listening to him talk is any indication, he's a softie, a nice guy, someone who runs a business in a certain way and that he thinks a smooth operation will get us wins.

And the "its a process" and "Play Like a Jet", ugh.

SAR I
    OK Genius....prove to us that you arent here to just keep after the same crap.

Enlighten us all with what your DREAM GM would have said today. Be it David Caldwell, Tom Gamble or a godfather offer that got us Eric Decosta....how should the new GM answer the questions he was asked (we dont need all of them, just the main ones you have such a problem with.)

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been an executive for 25+ years and John Idzik just rattled off every Business 101 cliche I've ever heard at every national conference in one 25 minute presser.

And if looking at him and listening to him talk is any indication, he's a softie, a nice guy, someone who runs a business in a certain way and that he thinks a smooth operation will get us wins.

SAR I

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    You are totally clueless. You have no idea what you're talking about. Please stop telling us what to think.
    I'm starting to think SAR is Mike Francesa just trolling this board to antagonize and anger Jets fans. Based on Idzik's comments, no rational, intelligent human being could have come to this type of conclusion. Mods allow a lot of leeway around here, that is for sure

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

SAR I
    Yeah well I'm going to give this guy a "few weeks" before I hate him....

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not telling you what to think. I am telling you what I think.

This guy is a polished businessman, full of Grad School 101 cliche's. I've been in enough executive meetings to know what I just heard. Instead of a powerful GM with conviction who wants to put his personal stamp on the team, we have another game manager.

He'll build a better process, he'll have some great forms, he'll have a swell set of spreadsheets. Where we go from there is up to him, but for the first few seasons we're looking at a raw Mike Tannenbaum.

That's how I see it, that's how anyone in the business world will see it, you are free to feel differently.

SAR I
    You're a very poor judge of character and everything else apparently. Your opinion holds little to no value at this point. Repeating how long you've been an 'executive' is not persuasive.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    It all depends on what you were looking for.

If you are SAR and were looking for someone who might appear to be meek, I think you got some of that.

If you were looking for someone who was smart and well-spoken to tell you what you want to hear about their vision for the team, I think you got that too.

Time will tell. I will wait to see how he handles the roster and the draft to decide whether or not he is a pushover for Rex. And that is a legitimate fear to have. But in fairness to Idzik I don't really know what some people were expecting to hear. Every GM basically says the same thing in their intro pressers. No surprises here.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 01-24-2013 at 11:50 AM.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    let's see this guy in action before we commit mass suicide....jeez

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Disagree. I doubt any new GM would come in in his initial presser and say "Screw the Head Coach, this is MY Show, I'm pickign all the players alone, and the Coach will damn well like it, and he BETTER win with what I, in my brilliance, give him."

Pretty much any professional is going to SAY "We're all in it together, and will try to find consensus on players" cause thats just what you say.

Like I said elsewhere, judging a new GM by what he says in his introduction presser is the worst possible form of evaluation.

Lets see what he does, then we'll have plenty of real decisions to judge. Not fluff Presser words. Words are cheap.

Exactly. Which is exactly what he should do. There is a reason, after all, why these as cliches and you've heard them at every national conference in the past.

What, did you expect trailblazing and new at an introductory presser? Really?

Give us an example of what, specificly, you WANTED to hear him say.
    Exactly, what is supposed to come in and punch his chest and say I'm the boss.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Decisions on Rex's future will be made in a collaborative effort between Woody and Idzik. #nyj

Doesn't sound like Rex is running things to me SAR

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post

If you are SAR and were looking for someone who might appear to be meek, I think you got some of that.

If you were looking for someone who was smart and well-spoken to tell you what you want to hear about their vision for the team, I think you got that too.

Time will tell. I will wait to see how he handles the roster and the draft to decide whether or not he is a pushover for Rex. And that is a legitimate fear to have.
    And obviously if you hate Rex and wanted someone who would steamroll him, you're disappointed. The guy has to work with him at least for a year and put a non-dysfunctional front on it for God's sake! He can work his machinations behind the scenes for crying out loud. Don't be so stupid SAR! Put your '25 years' of experience to work!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Making the final decisions, when I say being collaborative, that's genuine, so my role is to develop consensus and provide direction. So that when we make decisions they are Jet decisions. I may hand in the card, but we make the decisions together. As far as my background, I have been around players since I was knee-high, I have had a myriad of different perspectives which I can lend to the Jets."

"I am the consensus builder. It's a collaborative effort."

It's the same old story with Tannenbaum's old staff and Rex Ryan too. Might as well have kept Mike, at least he's been working on player personnel for the past 6 years.

SAR I
    You misunderstand what consensus means. It's my way get on board or I will find someone else who will.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post

Exactly. Which is exactly what he should do. There is a reason, after all, why these as cliches and you've heard them at every national conference in the past.

What, did you expect trailblazing and new at an introductory presser? Really?

Give us an example of what, specificly, you WANTED to hear him say.
    Not in the mood to be Strawfished today though I appreciate your attempt.

I know what I just heard and what I just heard was 30 minutes of what a process-driven operations manager would say if he just took a new VP job at WalMart.

"It's a team effort."
    "We're going to be collaberative."
    "We are going to hit the ground running."
    "It's the power of 'we'."
    "Free agency will be thoughtful, judicious, full of research."
    "Going to do a thorough review. Then short-term planning."
    "My role is to develop consensus and provide direction."
    "Every year is a clean slate."
    "This is a great infrastructure."
    "There is no discreet timetable for improvement."
    "Develop a baseline, develop a course off of that."
    "Every day is a new beginning."
    "Pushing the envelope leads to sustainability."
    "It's the power of "we" not the power of "me"."

Bill Parcells comes in here and says "we're not going to be a horses ass anymore" and John Idzik comes in here and just wrote the motivational t-shirt slogans for the next 10 years of training camp.

SAR I

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post

Time will tell. I will wait to see how he handles the roster and the draft to decide whether or not he is a pushover for Rex. And that is a legitimate fear to have. But in fairness to Idzik I don't really know what some people were expecting to hear. Every GM basically says the same thing in their intro pressers. No surprises here.
    What does "pushover to Rex" even mean? Listening to input from a coach who was good enough to get his team to back to back AFC CGs with one of the worst QBs in football (in a QB driven league) is somehow a bad thing? Even with draft stuff, was Rex "nuts" or "crazy" or "out of his element" when he wanted guys like Wilkerson and Coples?

Basically, if you hate Rex, and the new GM does not tell the media he hates Rex too, you can find a reason to already hate Idzik. Congrats to SAR, maybe he should find a team that employs guys he likes. If we trade Sanchez, he can go root for Mark on that team.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dude. Give the guy a few weeks on the job.
    You spent week after week, after week..........after week, telling us how Mark
    Sanchez is only a small part of the problem, yet you wont give the new GM a few weeks on the job?

Like the great EP of EPMD said, you gots to chill.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    There are many ways to be a 'cap guy' - and I think treating this as some huge disqualification is stupid.

For 12 years I've played in a very high-stakes NL-only roto league. It's hyper-competitive and one of the interesting aspects is how different the approaches of the ten teams are.

You win in my league not just by 'scouting' but also dealing with those issues that seem to get lumped in with 'cap guy'. These are:

1) knowing when to trade someone
    2) knowing wether to set long-term contracts (which we have)
    3) knowing what areas you can go cheap in, what areas to spend

I mean, the list goes on and on. This idea that there is even some scout guru out there is silly: they'd be a scout anyway, not GM. From the looks of it, Bradway was on board for lots of calls that turned out right anyway.

So - please - put away the juvenile 'he's just a cap guy!!" argument. Putting together a roster and team and foundation takes a lot more than gut instinct.

Too, a committee of talented people is more often going to come to the right call on a player than a lone wolf. Or do you like the Jerry Jones/Al Davis approach . . .

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Haven't we had enough of having someone who is "unpolished" as a HC, ala Rex, to finally give someone who is "polished" a chance to do a good job?

I actually think it's refreshing for a Jet exec to actually speak coherently as opposed to Mike "We're 3 and 6... We're 3 and 6..." Tannenbaum and Rex "I don't know who the backup QB is..." Ryan...