Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Yup, This Is A Cap Guy And Rex Is Running The Show

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    Ozzie Newsome press conference, April 29, 2009:

"Shaping a roster from year to year is a process and sometimes it pays to be patient. Until we take the field against the Chiefs on September 13, our roster remains a work in progress and we will do all that we can between now and then to improve our football team."

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lorwood View Post
    SAR, You are an executive so it's clear you understand,

There are clients that, it matters not how long they have been with you, they look for you too prove yourself at every transaction. They are a PITA but at the end of the day they earn your respect for their due diligence and in turn they respect you for the effort it takes to always be better.

Then there are clients that, as long as you take the time and go through the motions of throwing out the same old B.S. time after time, they are happy. They are convinced that each effort is an improvement. The actual results mean nothing to these clients, mediocrity is OK

As far as the NY Jets go as long as they go through the motions and throw out the B.S. all many fans will see is:

The next coach? goes to the S.B..
    The next GM? the answer
    The next pick? put him in the hall of fame
    The next QB? will be the franchise

The track record? Means nothing. They went through the motions.

The fact that you see this so clearly is the reason why you drive a BMW and sit in the best seats in the house.
    Thank you. Others agree. They're just not here right now. Oh, that's right. They're working. Not sitting in mom's basement during the job hunt or in the dorm room having not showered for a week.

SAR I

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Very unfair.

I watched the press conference, formed an opinion, and posted it. Let me ask you this: Did you hear anything today that made you say "Ah ha! This isn't just a cap guy!"? I know I didn't.
    Wait, you mean besides your OWN POST?

Cap guy perception: "Whatever I do in football I do for our team. I have a broad background, extensive background in personnel. If my team needs me to go on the road, I'll go on the road. If I need to stay here, I'll stay here. If I have to be running the cap, I'll run the cap. Chipping-in, collaborative effort, doing what I need to do with football operations."

Player background, cap guy: "Football is at the root of who I am. I've been a football guy so to speak since I was a six year old. I got into the league purely as a scout. If there are perceptions please ask those that I've worked with."

SAR I

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you. Others agree. They're just not here right now. Oh, that's right. They're working. Not sitting in mom's basement during the job hunt or in the dorm room having not showered for a week.

SAR I
    a very fair and measured comment. You have such a wonderful skill at evaluating people.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    If after hearing that press conference this isn't 100% cemented as fact I don't know what is.

SAR I
    I didn't get that impression at all. I guess people hear what they are predisposed to hear.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    Maybe if he reads it 1,000 more times SAR will start to catch on. The guy was highly prepared, coached even, for those specific questions and said what he was supposed to say.
    Ah, so let me get this straight:

The Seattle Seahawks bio and a cacophony of NY sportswriters label John Idzik with cliches and a 'scripted' position and that's heresy, it's a conspiracy!

John Idzik says nothing but vague cliches and a 'scripted' position and it's the gospel truth!

You kids need to get your hypocrisy meters in order. New batteries, much?

SAR I

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rmeyer52 View Post
    SAR if I were you I would look for another team that I can be positive about. What you heard was so filtered by your bias that it's hard to read anything you post now. Hey I know let's just skip the 2013 season and settle on 8-8 right now
    What teams even have a GM who are on the radar and in the news?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Disagree. I doubt any new GM would come in in his initial presser and say "Screw the Head Coach, this is MY Show, I'm pickign all the players alone, and the Coach will damn well like it, and he BETTER win with what I, in my brilliance, give him."

Pretty much any professional is going to SAY "We're all in it together, and will try to find consensus on players" cause thats just what you say.

Like I said elsewhere, judging a new GM by what he says in his introduction presser is the worst possible form of evaluation.

Lets see what he does, then we'll have plenty of real decisions to judge. Not fluff Presser words. Words are cheap.

Exactly. Which is exactly what he should do. There is a reason, after all, why these as cliches and you've heard them at every national conference in the past.

What, did you expect trailblazing and new at an introductory presser? Really?

Give us an example of what, specificly, you WANTED to hear him say.
    He said exactly the right things you'd expect in front of the NY media. PC's are perfunctory. We won't know how he manages Rex and others until it's well under way.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sar=Manish of JI

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ah, so let me get this straight:

The Seattle Seahawks bio and a cacophony of NY sportswriters label John Idzik with cliches and a 'scripted' position and that's heresy, it's a conspiracy!

John Idzik says nothing but vague cliches and a 'scripted' position and it's the gospel truth!

You kids need to get your hypocrisy meters in order. New batteries, much?

SAR I
    Wow, no wonder you get everything wrong.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    If SAR is right, we are screwed.
    I think Idzik is the greatest GM of all time.

"If what Revischrist says is right, we are in good shape."- Joe W. Namath.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lorwood View Post
    SAR, You are an executive so it's clear you understand,

There are clients that, it matters not how long they have been with you, they look for you too prove yourself at every transaction. They are a PITA but at the end of the day they earn your respect for their due diligence and in turn they respect you for the effort it takes to always be better.

Then there are clients that, as long as you take the time and go through the motions of throwing out the same old B.S. time after time, they are happy. They are convinced that each effort is an improvement. The actual results mean nothing to these clients, mediocrity is OK

As far as the NY Jets go as long as they go through the motions and throw out the B.S. all many fans will see is:

The next coach? goes to the S.B..
    The next GM? the answer
    The next pick? put him in the hall of fame
    The next QB? will be the franchise

The track record? Means nothing. They went through the motions.

The fact that you see this so clearly is the reason why you drive a BMW and sit in the best seats in the house.
    It's highly doubtful that SAR has anything to do with 'clients'.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    I think Idzik is the greatest GM of all time.

"If what Revischrist says is right, we are in good shape."- Joe W. Namath.
    If an asteroid hits the Earth we are screwed.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dmitexxi View Post
    Sar=Manish of JI
    SAR = francessa of JI

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not telling you what to think. I am telling you what I think.

This guy is a polished businessman, full of Grad School 101 cliche's. I've been in enough executive meetings to know what I just heard. Instead of a powerful GM with conviction who wants to put his personal stamp on the team, we have another game manager.

He'll build a better process, he'll have some great forms, he'll have a swell set of spreadsheets. Where we go from there is up to him, but for the first few seasons we're looking at a raw Mike Tannenbaum.

That's how I see it, that's how anyone in the business world will see it, you are free to feel differently.

SAR I
    Incorrect. I was an 'exec' for a long time too. He handled the perfunctory PC exactly as he should have. No way should he make his debut by rustling feathers (jimmies?). For an established exec, you really had a foolish expectation of what you would hear at this red carpet event. All this was for the media. Now that it's out of the way, I expect we won't know how things are run for quite some time. Relax and be patient. It's a process.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Very unfair.

I watched the press conference, formed an opinion, and posted it. Let me ask you this: Did you hear anything today that made you say "Ah ha! This isn't just a cap guy!"? I know I didn't. Did you walk away impressed? Does he sound like an aggressive guy? Do you think he's the type that can stand up to Rex Ryan? Does he feel like a culture-changer?

First impressions, that's all I'm stating. I have no agenda other than to see the Jets win, I could care less if my ex-girlfriend is the head coach and my worst enemy is the GM.

SAR I
    Well, first off, I didn't see anything today. The only thing I did was read your update of the press conference, which I thank you for. I did the same on the last presser and, accordingly, didn't have to read through that....shall we say, spirited thread.

Everything that I read that he said was exactly what I expected - mas o menos. As Traitor Jay said, and indeed another NFL Exec mentioned (quoted in a different thread) - a grown up.

And, unfortunately, the Jets need a grown up right now. A measured, responsible Executive that can look at the entire team, take some critical advice from his staff (mostly entrenched, some new, I'm sure) and begin to make the tough decisions. He's a new guy in town. He comes off as responsible. So yes, in that regard, there will be a culture change. Its not that Tanny wasn't responsible, but he was part of the clown show that had popped up here (not really his fault, but that's irrelevant).

Would I have ideally liked to see the new guy have a bit more personnel experience? Sure, I guess - but looking at the overall package, Idzik seems pretty competent.

And looking at what he said today, there's nothing objectionable. As he said, he's been on the job for 3 days and that's been in Alabama. What the **** is he supposed to say in a Presser today that would give you a boner?

The only person who has deviated from the cliches in his opening PC is Rex, and we know that Rex is part payaso. I still like him (partially), but his shtick is a) unique to him and b) wearing thin.

JMO, but anyone who takes anything substantive from the Presser today (overly good or bad) has an agenda. He got up and said Hi. That's it.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Safe bet.

If you take SAR's posts thus far, what he wanted was a guy to come in and say:

"I'm here, this is my show, screw everyone else, we won;t be a laughing stock circus under my watch. Rex and Bradway are fired, effective immediately. Woody is barred fromt he facillitiy fromt his day forth, he can sit in the owners box, period.

As to players, despite not yet having met with or familiarized with anythign yet, I can declare mark Sanchez is our #1 QB for 2013, he just needa a chance. We'll be trading Revis.

****ing Press Conference Over *****es!"

SAR's ideal GM.
    Excellent post!

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    It's highly doubtful that SAR has anything to do with 'clients'.
    Not at this stage no.

But we are talking fundamentals here.

Something W. Johnson clearly has no grasp of.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Safe bet.

If you take SAR's posts thus far, what he wanted was a guy to come in and say:

"I'm here, this is my show, screw everyone else, we won;t be a laughing stock circus under my watch. Rex and Bradway are fired, effective immediately. Woody is barred fromt he facillitiy fromt his day forth, he can sit in the owners box, period.

As to players, despite not yet having met with or familiarized with anythign yet, I can declare mark Sanchez is our #1 QB for 2013, he just needa a chance. We'll be trading Revis.

****ing Press Conference Over *****es!"

SAR's ideal GM.
    Don't think for me, please. You're not good at it.

I remember two Jets press conferences that made an impression on me.

Bill Parcells.
    Rex Ryan.

Both came in, like football warriors, and said what needed to be said and let you know as a fan that this guy knew what he wanted to do. Whether right or wrong in retrospect, they had the pulpit, they had the opportunity, they set the course from Day 1.

And I think John Idzik just did the same thing.

But because he didn't say something emotional that they can relate to like "Get off the bus!" or "I'm not here to kiss the ring!" the typical Jets fan doesn't realize that by saying "We're going to build consensus and do everything in a group with a spreadsheet and live for 'we' not 'me'!" is precisely what he's going to do.

It's a losing battle today here in Unicorns & Rainbows Land, but just trust me, we hired a great guy to run operations at Whole Foods, not a player personnel guy. Simple as that. Not sure why all the commotion when his bio states that he's been doing this for the past 11 years instead of picking players. This isn't rocket science.

SAR I

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    I hope you're kidding.

That's what you do in pressers, you spit cliches and let the media print them. Then you go in the back room and take out the knife.

The GM shouldn't be making news in press conferences, SAR. He makes news when we see the product that runs onto the field in Week 1.

Are you telling me you wanted bold, groundbreaking news and rah-rah? Or, that you wanted him to disseminate some brand new knowledge or perspective on GMing that's never been heard before?

I didn't expect to hear the formula for Coca-Cola at his first press conference.

I feel like we've had this conversation before. (http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/sh...&postcount=197)
    ^This. Thanks for a little realism on this board.