Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Yup, This Is A Cap Guy And Rex Is Running The Show

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sdJETSetter View Post
    Dude. Give the guy a few weeks on the job.
    You spent week after week, after week..........after week, telling us how Mark
    Sanchez is only a small part of the problem, yet you wont give the new GM a few weeks on the job?

Like the great EP of EPMD said, you gots to chill.
    I merely stated my opinion and that's that.

Idzik has my support and he will get a very patient two years to show me something. But, for now, my opinion is what I said it is:

He's an operations manager, not a personnel guy. This shouldn't be a controversial statement. It's what he's been doing for the past 11 years.

Certainly he can grow into a complete GM and a great player-picker, but the problem is that we are a rebuilding team right now and have no time for learning curves. If he screws the pooch with the next two drafts and keeps Bradway & Co. intact to manage it, we could be screwed for a decade.

SAR I

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    I'm not falling for the straw-man today. But since you asked, perhaps something like this:

''We're going to find out who's going to drive the bus or who's going to ride, or who's going to get off.''

--Bill Parcells introduction, February 11, 1997

SAR I
    Parcells also invited Rick Mirer on the bus and torpedoed the Jets 99 season before unceremoniously quitting when he couldn't finish what he started. What a "legend"

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Parcells also invited Rick Mirer on the bus and torpedoed the Jets 99 season before unceremoniously quitting when he couldn't finish what he started. What a "legend"
    I was asked to describe the type of demeanor I would have appreciated from our new GM today.

I provided it.

SAR I

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I merely stated my opinion and that's that.

Idzik has my support and he will get a very patient two years to show me something. But, for now, my opinion is what I said it is:

He's an operations manager, not a personnel guy. This shouldn't be a controversial statement. It's what he's been doing for the past 11 years.

Certainly he can grow into a complete GM and a great player-picker, but the problem is that we are a rebuilding team right now and have no time for learning curves. If he screws the pooch with the next two drafts and keeps Bradway & Co. intact to manage it, we could be screwed for a decade.

SAR I
    I wish you had the capacity to coach the Jets for a year so you could be fired.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    SAR, it sounds like you were looking for a guy to come in and be an assh0le. Its my way or the highway type guy. that guy is not the answer.

Was idzik's conference full of bravado and personality? No. But that does not reflect what he is going to do on draft day etc.
    I am not going to whine about this guy for the next two years. Just like Rex Ryan, it is what it is, no way around it. I sit in my seats, I put on my green gear, I cheer. Nothing else a Jets fan can do but support the team as we have and hope it works well.

I've stated my first impressions, its up to others to form their own.

SAR I

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm really sorry. I don't want to feel this way.

I've been an executive for 25+ years and John Idzik just rattled off every Business 101 cliche I've ever heard at every national conference in one 25 minute presser.

And if looking at him and listening to him talk is any indication, he's a softie, a nice guy, someone who runs a business in a certain way and that he thinks a smooth operation will get us wins.

And the "its a process" and "Play Like a Jet", ugh.

SAR I
    I hope you're kidding.

That's what you do in pressers, you spit cliches and let the media print them. Then you go in the back room and take out the knife.

The GM shouldn't be making news in press conferences, SAR. He makes news when we see the product that runs onto the field in Week 1.

Are you telling me you wanted bold, groundbreaking news and rah-rah? Or, that you wanted him to disseminate some brand new knowledge or perspective on GMing that's never been heard before?

I didn't expect to hear the formula for Coca-Cola at his first press conference.

I feel like we've had this conversation before. (http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/sh...&postcount=197)
    Last edited by jetstream23; 01-24-2013 at 12:13 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was asked to describe the type of demeanor I would have appreciated from our new GM today.

I provided it.

SAR I
    So despite your own posted quotes which utterly contradicted your assessment, you concluded that Idzik is only a cap guy and Rex is running the show from "demeanor"?

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    The man is a well-rounded football executive, exactly what you would expect from an NFL GM.

In terms of player decisions, he said exactly what you would want to hear. He is the consensus builder. Rex has a say (the coach should have a say), but he isn't the only one.

Did you really want a 30 year old scouting department guy with little to no exposure to the business side to run the show? How is that better?

Above all, he came across as a grown-up, which is something this organization desperately needs.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    I hope you're kidding.

That's what you do in pressers, you spit cliches and let the media print them. Then you go in the back room and take out the knife.

The GM shouldn't be making news in press conferences, SAR. He makes news when we see the product that runs onto the field in Week 1.

Are you telling me you wanted bold, groundbreaking news and rah-rah? Or, that you wanted him to disseminate some brand new knowledge or perspective on GMing that's never been heard before?

I didn't expect to hear the formula for Coca-Cola at his first press conference.

I feel like we've had this conversation before. (http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/sh...&postcount=197)
    Maybe if he reads it 1,000 more times SAR will start to catch on. The guy was highly prepared, coached even, for those specific questions and said what he was supposed to say.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    You're going to give him two years?! LOL! Hysterical.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    So despite your own posted quotes which utterly contradicted your assessment, you concluded that Idzik is only a cap guy and Rex is running the show from "demeanor"?
    No, they don't. If you cut through the expected fluff, you see nuggets of truth and an early look at his management style.

When he was asked about his own brand of being a GM, he described a great operations manager to a tee. When he was asked for opinions on players like the QB and the CB, he said he needed time to talk to everyone, form consensus, build a spreadsheet. The "Play Like A Jet" reference? Straight off the decals on the stairway into Florham Park.

Ask me in two years what I think of him and I'll have a really good answer. But, today, first impressions, I don't see how this dispels what we've been reading for the past week- he's an outstanding operations manager with some personnel experience eleven years ago.

Nothing wrong with that. It's what it is. Not sure why that's so shocking, not sure why so many other posters have such violent reaction.

SAR I

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't checked the time stamp yet and I'm guessing SAR is smart enough to wait until its over, but I'm fairly certain that this thread was contemplated - and even crafted - before the presser started.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ozzie Newsome press conference, April 29, 2009:

"Shaping a roster from year to year is a process and sometimes it pays to be patient. Until we take the field against the Chiefs on September 13, our roster remains a work in progress and we will do all that we can between now and then to improve our football team."

http://russellstreetreport.com/balti...-09-nfl-draft/

Ozzie Newsome, full of cliches, definite cap guy.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    SAR I Mind reading, body language and phrophecy skills at work....

Idzik didn't didn't yell or scream. He was polished and nice. He didn't pound his fist. He said he thought Rex was a positive aspect of the Jets job. So Rex MUST have Idzik under his thumb - right?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    SAR, You are an executive so it's clear you understand,

There are clients that, it matters not how long they have been with you, they look for you too prove yourself at every transaction. They are a PITA but at the end of the day they earn your respect for their due diligence and in turn they respect you for the effort it takes to always be better.

Then there are clients that, as long as you take the time and go through the motions of throwing out the same old B.S. time after time, they are happy. They are convinced that each effort is an improvement. The actual results mean nothing to these clients, mediocrity is OK

As far as the NY Jets go as long as they go through the motions and throw out the B.S. all many fans will see is:

The next coach? goes to the S.B..
    The next GM? the answer
    The next pick? put him in the hall of fame
    The next QB? will be the franchise

The track record? Means nothing. They went through the motions.

The fact that you see this so clearly is the reason why you drive a BMW and sit in the best seats in the house.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    The man is a well-rounded football executive, exactly what you would expect from an NFL GM.

In terms of player decisions, he said exactly what you would want to hear. He is the consensus builder. Rex has a say (the coach should have a say), but he isn't the only one.

Did you really want a 30 year old scouting department guy with little to no exposure to the business side to run the show? How is that better?

Above all, he came across as a grown-up, which is something this organization desperately needs.
    Exactly.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ozzie Newsome press conference, April 29, 2009:

"Shaping a roster from year to year is a process and sometimes it pays to be patient. Until we take the field against the Chiefs on September 13, our roster remains a work in progress and we will do all that we can between now and then to improve our football team."

http://russellstreetreport.com/balti...-09-nfl-draft/

Ozzie Newsome, full of cliches, definite cap guy.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    I haven't checked the time stamp yet and I'm guessing SAR is smart enough to wait until its over, but I'm fairly certain that this thread was contemplated - and even crafted - before the presser started.
    Safe bet.

If you take SAR's posts thus far, what he wanted was a guy to come in and say:

"I'm here, this is my show, screw everyone else, we won;t be a laughing stock circus under my watch. Rex and Bradway are fired, effective immediately. Woody is barred fromt he facillitiy fromt his day forth, he can sit in the owners box, period.

As to players, despite not yet having met with or familiarized with anythign yet, I can declare mark Sanchez is our #1 QB for 2013, he just needa a chance. We'll be trading Revis.

****ing Press Conference Over *****es!"

SAR's ideal GM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Very unfair.

I watched the press conference, formed an opinion, and posted it. Let me ask you this: Did you hear anything today that made you say "Ah ha! This isn't just a cap guy!"? I know I didn't. Did you walk away impressed? Does he sound like an aggressive guy? Do you think he's the type that can stand up to Rex Ryan? Does he feel like a culture-changer?

First impressions, that's all I'm stating. I have no agenda other than to see the Jets win, I could care less if my ex-girlfriend is the head coach and my worst enemy is the GM.

SAR I

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    SAR if I were you I would look for another team that I can be positive about. What you heard was so filtered by your bias that it's hard to read anything you post now. Hey I know let's just skip the 2013 season and settle on 8-8 right now