Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Yup, This Is A Cap Guy And Rex Is Running The Show

Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Not in the mood to be Strawfished today though I appreciate your attempt.

I know what I just heard and what I just heard was 30 minutes of what a process-driven operations manager would say if he just took a new VP job at WalMart.

"It's a team effort."
    "We're going to be collaberative."
    "We are going to hit the ground running."
    "It's the power of 'we'."
    "Free agency will be thoughtful, judicious, full of research."
    "Going to do a thorough review. Then short-term planning."
    "My role is to develop consensus and provide direction."
    "Every year is a clean slate."
    "This is a great infrastructure."
    "There is no discreet timetable for improvement."
    "Develop a baseline, develop a course off of that."
    "Every day is a new beginning."
    "Pushing the envelope leads to sustainability."
    "It's the power of "we" not the power of "me"."

Bill Parcells comes in here and says "we're not going to be a horses ass anymore" and John Idzik comes in here and just wrote the motivational t-shirt slogans for the next 10 years of training camp.

SAR I
    YOU'RE FIRED!!!!!

First of all, it needs to be said that whether you deal in perception or reality, a press conference with the NY media is a show more than anything else. You're putting on a display for the reporters. That doesn't mean that everything Idzik said is scripted BS, but it doesn't tell you much, if anything, about what's really going on behind the scenes. So to make definitive statements about who the guy is (cap guy or otherwise) after his introductory press conference is incredibly presumptuous.

And another big misconception is to assume that Idzik is meek simply because he's more soft-spoken than our brash head coach. Being soft-spoken and being a tough, effective GM are not mutually exclusive things. Nothing he said about his plans or his background gave me the impression that he's a pushover.

We'll only know for sure what kind of GM we hired when we see the product on the field. But then again, that would've been true no matter who we hired, be it Idzik or Caldwell or anybody else, so let's not trip over ourselves jumping to radical conclusions.

I'm really sorry. I don't want to feel this way.

I've been an executive for 25+ years and John Idzik just rattled off every Business 101 cliche I've ever heard at every national conference in one 25 minute presser.

And if looking at him and listening to him talk is any indication, he's a softie, a nice guy, someone who runs a business in a certain way and that he thinks a smooth operation will get us wins.

And the "its a process" and "Play Like a Jet", ugh.

SAR I
    Surprised Korn/Ferry hasn't come knocking on your door for a job offer.

and judging by your posts you seem to have an issue with "bullies" like Rex. get pushed around a lot as a kid?

I know what I just heard and what I just heard was 30 minutes of what a process-driven operations manager would say if he just took a new VP job at WalMart.

"It's a team effort."

Bill Parcells comes in here and says "we're not going to be a horses ass anymore" and John Idzik comes in here and just wrote the motivational t-shirt slogans for the next 10 years of training camp.

SAR I
    So you complain that rex is a blowhard who makes ridiculous predictions and boasts.

Then you complain that someone you referred to as a "polished businessman' (which you turned into a negative) gave analytical answers that didnt allow the media to take anything and run with it.

Then you cite bill parcells....who I doubt said that quote at his first ever interview.

Maybe you just like to complain

"Making the final decisions, when I say being collaborative, that's genuine, so my role is to develop consensus and provide direction. So that when we make decisions they are Jet decisions. I may hand in the card, but we make the decisions together. As far as my background, I have been around players since I was knee-high, I have had a myriad of different perspectives which I can lend to the Jets."

"I am the consensus builder. It's a collaborative effort."

It's the same old story with Tannenbaum's old staff and Rex Ryan too. Might as well have kept Mike, at least he's been working on player personnel for the past 6 years.

SAR I
    Draft Leinart!!!

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    OK Genius....prove to us that you arent here to just keep after the same crap.

Enlighten us all with what your DREAM GM would have said today. Be it David Caldwell, Tom Gamble or a godfather offer that got us Eric Decosta....how should the new GM answer the questions he was asked (we dont need all of them, just the main ones you have such a problem with.)
    I'm not falling for the straw-man today. But since you asked, perhaps something like this:

''We're going to find out who's going to drive the bus or who's going to ride, or who's going to get off.''

--Bill Parcells introduction, February 11, 1997

SAR I

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJets View Post

and judging by your posts you seem to have an issue with "bullies" like Rex. get pushed around a lot as a kid?
    Of course he did.

Jets Insider VIP

"It's a team effort."

SAR I
    SAR, it sounds like you were looking for a guy to come in and be an assh0le. Its my way or the highway type guy. that guy is not the answer.

Was idzik's conference full of bravado and personality? No. But that does not reflect what he is going to do on draft day etc.

I'd suspect it's because you have no answer. You can tell us how much you hate what WAS said, but just as with preferences for a Head Coach, a GM or players, you cannot tell us in advance what you WANTED to hear or see happen.

And, as you yourself described it "every Business 101 cliche I've ever heard at every national conference", i.e. the same exact thing every new NFL GM would say. Every one.

So you're displeased, because he said what every GM would/has said.

Bill Parcells comes in here and says "we're not going to be a horses ass anymore"
    Appropriate coming off of 1-15. Not so much today. Despite your hatred of the team, we're not the 1996 NY Jets today. Not even close.

and John Idzik comes in here and just wrote the motivational t-shirt slogans for the next 10 years of training camp.
    Again, it has to be asked, was there ANYTHING he could have said that would not have ngendered this exact same thread?

Did he have to come in and declare the Jets before him were total ****, declare he was firing Rex, barring Woody from the facillity, starting Sanchez day 1, and drafting and signing all Offense to please you?

What did you want to hear SAR, seriously?

Jets Insider VIP
    I'm not falling for the straw-man today. But since you asked, perhaps something like this:

''We're going to find out who's going to drive the bus or who's going to ride, or who's going to get off.''

SAR I

Exactly. Parcells is an assh0le. Dont fault Idzik for not being an assh0le.

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJets View Post

Great observation, hes been called out for that a lot.

Very prototypical guy who was stuffed into a few lockers, and now thinks a 325i makes him somebody.

Can we dump this stupid fkn thread already?

Seriously, ban this guy.

IdzikBAUM....BETTER, SAR????

The most important thing Idzik said, and you all missed it, was that "he has only been in the building for 4 hours".

The guy doesn't know $hit yet. His only contacts are Rex and Woody with whom he has been scouting this week.

He literally just got here.

I for one liked his demeanor and the way he spoke - a lot, and feel he will do a GREAT job here.

All Pro

SAR I
    Yeah, no cliche there.

SAR I
    He was a 2-time SB winner at that time.

Guess context doesnt matter, lets just pull quotes out of thin air.

SAR I
    Rex Ryan at his introduction-

"I'm not here to kiss Bill Belichik's rings..."

So how'd that turn out for you, SAR?

Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    Can we dump this stupid fkn thread already?

Seriously, ban this guy.
    + The REST of the Board!!!

Veteran
    and now thinks a 325i makes him somebody.
    Oh no not another thread on BMW's...

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Great observation, hes been called out for that a lot.

Very prototypical guy who was stuffed into a few lockers, and now thinks a 325i makes him somebody.
    LMAO!!! ......beige...... LOL!!!

Nice Foreskin colored Entry Level BMW!!!!