Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Contrary to SAR and his legion of followers, I actually Liked what Idzik had to say

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by lorwood View Post
    Ok this is not hard to understand

Idzik said what was expected by Woody and REX

Idzik "committee" reference is basically code for "I need to get Woody and REX's permission"

If REX does not like what Idzik is doing he will go to Woody and Woody will listen.

This is the problem. It's as basic as it gets. But Woody is either to dumb or to in man love with REX to get it.

It makes the NY Jets a flawed organization and a Circus waiting to continue.
    thanks for your input, Mrs. Tannenbaum.

Sounds like his first presser went fine. He came off as professional, serious, and gave good answers.

Anyone bashing the guy already has no credibility. None. He's been with the team 4 days and 3 of them were spent at the Senior Bowl. It was an intro press conference. He hasn't made a single roster move or decision yet, he hasn't even evaluated the personnel.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Sounds like his first presser went fine. He came off as professional, serious, and gave good answers.

Anyone bashing the guy already has no credibility. None. He's been with the team 4 days and 3 of them were spent at the Senior Bowl. It was an intro press conference. He hasn't made a single roster move or decision yet, he hasn't even evaluated the personnel.
    But the all knowing SAR has judged him and SAR is never wrong per SAR.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH_1962 View Post
    The guy literally just got here. He said he had only been in the building for 4 hours or so and already there is a thread bashing this hire as a "Cap manager similar to Tannenbaum". How can anyone bash these guys now? They have not set foot into the facility yet.

I actually liked the way Idzik spoke, carried himself, and his demeanor. I got a real good feeling that he will do a great job here. Remember his background, he is NOT ONLY A NUMBERS GUY. He is a 100% complete football man.

I would like to call a "cease fire" to stop the nonsensical bashing of Idzik and Marty M days after their hires and let these guys go to work. It is making not only the individuals look like whiny pants', but also JI in its entirely ...
    So you are in the "vote no to SAR for Mod" camp?

He could have all boastful and screaming "things are going to change here" and then everyone would say "actions speak louder than words".

Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    I like SAR actually, he is hilariously funny and usually means well. I just thought he was trolling in this case, on an otherwise boring frozen day, that's all.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Agreed. But we'll get a fairly accurate barometer on his style after next year.
    Heck, you could probably get a good assessment before the 2014 season because there are a lot of critical decisions he has to make.

The draft is only 1 aspect of it and that takes time unless the player is a complete non-contributor.

By the start of the 2014 season, Idzik will have to make a decision on Sanchez, Revis, Keller, Greene, Harris, Scott, Pace, Pouha, Moore, Holmes, and Rex. They are all key figures in the last 4 years.

Quote Originally Posted by lorwood View Post
    Ok this is not hard to understand

Idzik said what was expected by Woody and REX

Idzik "committee" reference is basically code for "I need to get Woody and REX's permission"

If REX does not like what Idzik is doing he will go to Woody and Woody will listen.

This is the problem. It's as basic as it gets. But Woody is either to dumb or to in man love with REX to get it.

It makes the NY Jets a flawed organization and a Circus waiting to continue.
    LMAO.

What makes anyone think that new GM's stroll into PCs and act as if they're the new sheriff in town, and act as if they will discount what the owner and coach have to say?

God forbid anyone do any research or critical thinking. Here's Seattle's GM's PC from 2010. Yep, he sure sounds different from Idzik when it comes to collaboration with the coach and owner.

http://www.kcby.com/sports/professional/82182512.html

ENTON, Wash. (AP) - John Schneider was already a candidate for the Seattle Seahawks' general manager position when the team bolted from the NFL norm last week and hired college czar Pete Carroll to be its powerful head coach.

Seattle's new coach is driving the GM and the rest of the organizational train, rather than vice versa. It's not exactly how the 17-year veteran of personnel moves and recent right-hand man of Green Bay general manager Ted Thompson was used to operations working.

Yet Schneider considered the credentials of Seattle's coach, the fact Carroll would have equal or more authority than the general manager on personnel issues - and he just shrugged. The boyish-faced, 38-year-old native of rural Wisconsin signed a four-year contract to become a first-time GM anyway.

"When this thing went down with Coach Carroll I had a moment where I thought, 'OK, that was different.' But that's how they had to do it to get a guy of his caliber," Schneider said of the man who restored a dynasty at Southern California from 2001 until last week.

"Then I thought, 'This job is even more attractive right now."'

The Seahawks introduced Schneider Wednesday to complete the reinventing of their broken operation that has gone 9-23 since Seattle's last playoff appearance in January 2008.

Schneider was picked from among four finalists. Team CEO Tod Leiweke said the immediate connection between Carroll and Schneider in last week's interview was vital in the final decision.

"Most compelling for me is the amazing energy I saw between the man to my right and man to my left," Leiweke said, sitting between Carroll and Schneider. "They connected, they saw eye to eye and they had a similar philosophy on how they wanted to do this."

Schneider replaces Tim Ruskell. The Seahawks forced Ruskell to resign as GM and president last month as Seattle was finishing 5-11 and losing its last four games by a combined 123-37.

Schneider began his NFL career as a college intern who "basically stalked Ron Wolf" in 1992 before Wolf gave him a job. He has been the Packers' director of football operations since May 2008. He was the top personnel assistant to Green Bay's GM for six years before that. He spent 2000 as Seattle's director of player personnel in the Seahawks regime of Thompson and former Packers coach Mike Holmgren. He was the vice president of player personnel for the Redskins for one year, 2001, before returning to Green Bay.

His role in Seattle is unique. Unlike most general managers who get say over the coaching staff, Carroll was in place for a week before Schneider's hiring was made official.

But both Schneider and Carroll said they hit it off from their first meeting. They rambled on during their initial interview so long they kept Leiweke late into the night and from celebrating his 50th birthday.

The team will be built around Carroll's philosophy and Schneider agrees with that approach, Leiweke said.

"If someday there is a dispute between these two guys and there's a coin toss, we are going to build the team around this man and his players," Leiweke said, nodding to Carroll, "Pete wins the coin toss.

"But that's not an issue, because (Schneider) walked in from Day One saying 'We have a special coach and we're going to build the team around the philosophy of this coach."'

Leiweke also clarified that salary cap and contract issues, handled by returning administrator John Idzik, will be under Schneider's control. Previously, Leiweke believed he'd have three positions atop Seattle's remodeled football operations: "a cap/contract door" for money and number crunching; a GM door that Schneider will sit behind; "and Pete will have his own, unique door."

Leiweke said his job will be to ensure collaboration that has worked throughout his business career, including his last several years with Seahawks owner Paul Allen's Vulcan management company and helping Allen run the NBA's Portland Trail Blazers and Major League Soccer's Seattle Sounders.

"We wanted to create a team approach where we're unified in our goals," Leiweke said. "It was a heartbreaking couple of years, and in some ways people here deserve better."

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlairThomasFumble View Post
    LMAO.

What makes anyone think that new GM's stroll into PCs and act as if they're the new sheriff in town, and act as if they will discount what the owner and coach have to say?

God forbid anyone do any research or critical thinking. Here's Seattle's GM's PC from 2010. Yep, he sure sounds different from Idzik when it comes to collaboration with the coach and owner.

http://www.kcby.com/sports/professional/82182512.html
    Well, clearly things will not work out well in Seattle.......

Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    The idea of SAR being a mod scares the life out of me. I've never wanted to kick anyone in the nuts as much as I do SAR. Which I guess means mission accomplished for SAR because his entire goal on this forum is to be a douchebag

Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    Well, clearly things will not work out well in Seattle.......
    Yeah, those dopes at Korn Ferry sure hired an awful GM in Seattle. Woody's such a tool for using that firm.

I love these unsupported theories that Cap guys can't make good GMs or that defesnive coaches can't have good offenses. Bellichick was a defensive guru, had a terrible offense in Cleveland and has now overseen one of the greatest offenses of all time.

Even if we assume that Idzik is JUST a cap guy, that doesn't mean he will make a bad GM or make bad draft selections. GMs do not attend every college game nor do they have the time to review game tape of EVERY college prospect. A good GM relies on his scouting department and then makes educated decisions based on the scouting report and his own views. Mr T. was average in that department (despite being a "cap" guy). Mo Wilk is very good, Coples will be great (imo) and Wilson is serviceable. Some of his other picks have been busts (Ducasse), some have been solid (mcknight/Kerley) others are still a work in progress (Hill). I think if you review most GM's drafts that is pretty much how they all look. WIth all that said, I think Idzik has a good feel for how to run an organization and will make the right decisions; whether that involves who to sign, extend or draft.

We all hope that he can do a better job than his predecessor.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlairThomasFumble View Post
    Yeah, those dopes at Korn Ferry sure hired an awful GM in Seattle. Woody's such a tool for using that firm.
    I think you missed my sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    I think you missed my sarcasm.
    Sorry bro. Been on a hair trigger after all of the idiocy in Jetville over the past month.

I really liked the Idzik hire even before the press conference. He is a very smart guy. I like smart people. Then tend to do smart things. The Jets could use more people doing smart things.

All Pro
    The difference between Tannenbaum and Idzik is Tannenbaum said the right things, but learned them from someone telling him or reading it in a book and he parroted it. Idzik sounds like he thought of it himself and said it. A capologist can make a good GM, the fact that Tanny was a bad one shouldn't preclude all other capologists (and that is not to concede that's what Idzik is).

Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    I really liked the Idzik hire even before the press conference. He is a very smart guy. I like smart people. Then tend to do smart things. The Jets could use more people doing smart things.
    Idzik gives me the impression that he will surround himself with smart people, that can contribute their expertise for better decision making. And when there are situations, in which he needs to stand alone and make the tough calls...he's not going to fall on his face.

Woody got it right this time...with Idzik.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    The difference between Tannenbaum and Idzik is Tannenbaum said the right things, but learned them from someone telling him or reading it in a book and he parroted it. Idzik sounds like he thought of it himself and said it. A capologist can make a good GM, the fact that Tanny was a bad one shouldn't preclude all other capologists (and that is not to concede that's what Idzik is).
    Well said, it's the difference between believing something and actually understanding why you believe something.

Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    Heck, you could probably get a good assessment before the 2014 season because there are a lot of critical decisions he has to make.

The draft is only 1 aspect of it and that takes time unless the player is a complete non-contributor.

By the start of the 2014 season, Idzik will have to make a decision on Sanchez, Revis, Keller, Greene, Harris, Scott, Pace, Pouha, Moore, Holmes, and Rex. They are all key figures in the last 4 years.
    Okay. I can live with your assessment.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    Absolutely owned the reporters with his last comment about perception. Very smart about his words and everything. A football lifer, class act and very well spoken. What's not to like...
    Thats what I like to hear, I was at work and couldn't catch the press conference but all indications from people/posters with meaningful opinions, sounds like it was pretty good.