Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can Davis, Ellis, Bush, Allen start?

This thread really poses the million dollar question.

My two cents:

Davis will grow into an adequate player. He has the speed and pursuit to be a true "Will" linebacker if he can master NFL coverage concepts. Lots of talk bout the Jets playing more 4-3, but the way the NFL is going it's more likely the Jets play more nickel and "big nickel" (like the Giants did, out of necessity) as a base. Three-man front. Davis = Will, Harris = Mike, McIntyre = Sam. Five DBs, either three corners and two safeties or three safeties and two corners as personnel/situation dictate.

In that kind of scheme, Allen could develop into a good "bandit"-style hybrid mainly for run support, but occasionally asked to cover or blitz. Bush is a huge question mark to me.

Ellis could be a starter if he stays healthy.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    I think Davis and Ellis have the talent to start and will do so next year. Allen will take over as the hybrid LB/S for Eric Smith. Bush propably takes some more time. Who I think could become a starter due to the lack of alternatives and not much money/picks available is Garrett McIntyre.
    Agree 100% on McIntyre and Allen - cheaper than the guys they can replace, and will give you no worse production at these spots, with possible upside.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Lankster to me is the biggest question mark. He makes enough where you have to consider cutting him to save a few 100k but may also be of value in trade. I could very well see him being the kicker in a trade that gets us a potential starter. Or if you move Cro do you give this kid a real shot? We had some good CB depth last year and I think it says a lot that he was the one guy that survived the shuffle.
    Trufant is another guy I'd keep my eye on - although his season was cut short by injury, he was looking good covering the slot WR (in the NE game he did a great job on Welker).

All Pro
    Cornerback is the least of our problems. We got two studs in Revis and Cro, Wilson is a decent insurance and solid 3rd CB. Then you got a bunch of role players who all contributed last year and are good in certain situations - Trufant, Lankster, even Walls got action late in the year. Plenty of depth which might even give us the freedom to trade one of the top guys.

All Pro
    Cornerback is the least of our problems. We got two studs in Revis and Cro, Wilson is a decent insurance and solid 3rd CB. Then you got a bunch of role players who all contributed last year and are good in certain situations - Trufant, Lankster, even Walls got action late in the year. Plenty of depth which might even give us the freedom to trade one of the top guys.
    Plus there's Aaron Berry, although I'm not sure what his status is ...

Undrafted Free Agent
    Bart will be cut, but given he can still play and graded out decent at ILB...I wouldn't be surprised if he is back near the minimum. It's doubtful we take in another ILB, and even though Mauga and a few UDFA's may compete--Bart if he comes back will be depth or a starting option again.

Same might be possible with Pace (BT looks finished).

I mean- where would Pace/Bart and even Pouha play elsewhere? These guys want to extend their careers and we might be their only option. They know the system, they are serviceable, it just depends on what positions do get upgraded in the offseason w/ so many in need.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
    Plus there's Aaron Berry, although I'm not sure what his status is ...
    Forgot about him. I think the fact that the Jets kept him around despite him never really getting healthy speaks volumes for how much they like him.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Forgot about him. I think the fact that the Jets kept him around despite him never really getting healthy speaks volumes for how much they like him.
    What is Wilson's cap #?

The hottest trade candidates are Revis and Cromartie, but why trade players who are great and playing at their value with the return likely being less than what you have to give up.

Wilson gets a lot of trash from the fans, but honestly has played well in comparison to potential CB needy teams. and with the huge depth being mentioned at CB, why not move Wilson? He is young and playing well, at the top end could likely catch a 3rd round pick. does that move clear any $ though...

Quote Originally Posted by thegoldengod View Post
    What is Wilson's cap #?

The hottest trade candidates are Revis and Cromartie, but why trade players who are great and playing at their value with the return likely being less than what you have to give up.

Wilson gets a lot of trash from the fans, but honestly has played well in comparison to potential CB needy teams. and with the huge depth being mentioned at CB, why not move Wilson? He is young and playing well, at the top end could likely catch a 3rd round pick. does that move clear any $ though...
    wilson is playing on a rookie contract, so there would be zero benefit to moving him.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    I agree with the guys who say these kids have to start or at least get solid PT.

It would probably mean the D goes from top 10 to bottom 10 though.
    How do we go to bottom 10. Losing players like PAce/Scott is addition by subtraction. Our CB will be at least as good as last year (if not better if we keep Revis). Coples/Wilkerson will only get better. And there is a decent chance we will draft an OLB to improve our team speed even more.

Remember that Rex had a top 5 defense with Leonard and Eric Smith starting. Even if Allen and Bush aren't great they can't be much worse. Plus we'll likely keep Bell at a cheap price.

Our defense will not be an issue next year. Our offense is what scares me and there isn't much we can do in this draft to address our lack of play makers on offense.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    wilson is playing on a rookie contract, so there would be zero benefit to moving him.
    former 1st round pick with starting time escalators...found the answer though...

14th highest cap value on the team at $2,010,400,

but its $2,194,800 dead money if cut. So much for that.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    How do we go to bottom 10. Losing players like PAce/Scott is addition by subtraction. Our CB will be at least as good as last year (if not better if we keep Revis). Coples/Wilkerson will only get better. And there is a decent chance we will draft an OLB to improve our team speed even more.

Remember that Rex had a top 5 defense with Leonard and Eric Smith starting. Even if Allen and Bush aren't great they can't be much worse. Plus we'll likely keep Bell at a cheap price.

Our defense will not be an issue next year. Our offense is what scares me and there isn't much we can do in this draft to address our lack of play makers on offense.
    Agreed we may not fix the QB issue, but we have to view the offense as a >1 year project. If not a QB, let's build up the OL, WR, TE, RB positions as best we can.

Personally really like Antonio Allen and he'd provide useful insurance behind Landry if,and it's a big if,LL comes back

The young guy to Keep an eye on is Damon Harrison.Thought he stood out when he played and think he could beat out Ellis tbh

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Redlichtie View Post
    Personally really like Antonio Allen and he'd provide useful insurance behind Landry if,and it's a big if,LL comes back

The young guy to Keep an eye on is Damon Harrison.Thought he stood out when he played and think he could beat out Ellis tbh
    No way but I agree that he is a great guy to have on the bench, especially with both Pouha and Ellis being a bit injury prone recently.