Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: OL Coach DeGuglielmo Out

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sourceworx View Post
    This is a silly comment. Most NFL coaches were either never played in the NFL, or were marginal players at best.
    I agree. But then you cant say that playing OL is somehow a qualification for him to be an O-Line Coach as C-mart stated.

Take that away and his only qualification is his coaching experience. 2 years as OL coach at Toledo and 7years as TE/Asst O-Line coach for us.

Since he has failed to develop a quality TE in 7 years for us (Keller and Cumberland still cant block to save their lives under his tutelage) I would say that his coaching track record is hardly stellar.

So, again, please tell me why this was a good hire for a vital position that we have played poorly at?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    So you wouldnt belittle Vlad Ducasse if he was cut as a player and hired as OL Coach until you saw the end result.

I think you need to be a little logical and honest. OL Coach is a very important positional coaching job and our OL has deteriorated the last 2 years. Logic would have you hire the best possible candidate for that job. Now honestly do you think hiring Mike Devlin was the best move for the job?
    Correct. I look at guys like Tony Dungy and Steve Spurrier. They have succeeded despite being mediocre NFL players. You can throw Jim Harbaugh in there too, apart from 1995. Even Bill Parcells, who was drafted by the Lions in 1964 and never played a game.

And, do you have a better option availible for O-line coach?
    Last edited by Eckesg1; 01-24-2013 at 04:06 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Anything. The motto/mantra of the Jet fan.
    It's not just for the Jets. It's in any sport. The variables of injury, weather, emotions and just plain luck weigh a lot in the game.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    It's not just for the Jets. It's in any sport. The variables of injury, weather, emotions and just plain luck weigh a lot in the game.
    You're right. We've just had an inordinate share of calamity.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Correct. I look at guys like Tony Dungy and Steve Spurrier. They have succeeded despite being mediocre NFL players. You can throw Jim Harbaugh in there too, apart from 1995.

And, do you have a better option availible for O-line coach?
    Sure:
    Russ Grimm
    Mike Tice
    Jeff Jagodzinski
    Mike Sullivan (was available until just recently)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by adpz View Post
    Seems the only way this board is going to be happy is if each position coach slot is filled with a former SB-winning head coach. But he'd need to have been an MVP player in the league first too. Sort of like an NFL League of Extraordinary Gentleman . . .
    Even then, a portion of the board would complain about hiring washed up retreads ...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    You're right. We've just had an inordinate share of calamity.
    Now you are taking it too far the other way. There is a balance. The Jets have made some crappy decisions. There's no arguement to that. My thing is let's see if it's crappy before we label it as such.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree. But then you cant say that playing OL is somehow a qualification for him to be an O-Line Coach as C-mart stated.

Take that away and his only qualification is his coaching experience. 2 years as OL coach at Toledo and 7years as TE/Asst O-Line coach for us.

Since he has failed to develop a quality TE in 7 years for us (Keller and Cumberland still cant block to save their lives under his tutelage) I would say that his coaching track record is hardly stellar.

So, again, please tell me why this was a good hire for a vital position that we have played poorly at?
    I stated facts. That's it. He played OL in the NFL and was an OL coach in college

Who meets your criteria of an OL coach that you want to hire?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Now you are taking it too far the other way. There is a balance. The Jets have made some crappy decisions. There's no arguement to that. My thing is let's see if it's crappy before we label it as such.
    I respect your approach. Age, and a near-lifetime's worth of Jet history, has made me cynical.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sure:
    Russ Grimm
    Mike Tice
    Jeff Jagodzinski
    How's the Bears OL been for the past few yrs?

AZ had one of, if not the worst, OL in the NFL this past yr?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's not a qualification, but it certainly helps.

He was also an assistant O-Line coach in Arizona for a few years prior to his time in Toledo.

Not saying he's a great hire. That said, Keller and Cumberland are glorified wide receivers. Teaching them to block like an O-Lineman is no different than trying to teach Stephen Hill to block like one.

If you want to judge him from a blocking standpoint, judge Ben Hartsock's performance before the Jets stupidly let him go without ever replacing him. He performed quite well as a blocking TE, and I'm not surprised that our running game has suffered since he left.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sure:
    Russ Grimm
    Mike Tice
    Jeff Jagodzinski
    Don't want anything to do with Tice. Bears offensive line has been horrible for several years.

Jeff is an OC at Georgia State and we did interview him for our HC job which is why he was fired from BC> I don't think he'd want to come here.

Grimm would be interesting but I've heard nothing about him anywhere. It looks like he's vanished off the coaching map.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    from how the oline played this past season i'm not surprised. they need to get someone like bill muir back.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't want anything to do with Tice. Bears offensive line has been horrible for several years.

Jeff is an OC at Georgia State
    and we did interview him for our HC job which is why he was fired from BC> I don't think he'd want to come here.

Grimm would be interesting but I've heard nothing about him anywhere. It looks like he's vanished off the coaching map.
    Im sure Jeff Jagz would come here in a heartbeat if offered the job.
    OC at Georgia State is not exactly a big time position for a guy looking to become HC again

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Im sure Jeff Jagz would come here in a heartbeat if offered the job.
    OC at Georgia State is not exactly a big time position for a guy looking to become HC again
    I get that. But the fact that we kind of ruined his career by interviewing him might stick in his craw.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I get that. But the fact that we kind of ruined his career by interviewing him might stick in his craw.
    Didn't he "ruin" his career? BC told him not to interview but he did anyway.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJets View Post
    Gugs, Rex wants to see you. bring your playbook
    playbook ? After watching San Diego live in the
    Jets backfield for an entire game, I'm convinced
    this guy never opened his playbook, probably
    never even picked one up.

This is a very good FO move, and the tight
    ends did play well last season, I think this guy
    will be ok.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    You actually want him to read about a coach before he starts ripping the hire??

What a concept....
    Or you can come to a conclusion based on the performance of our OL and TEs the past two years.

I like that concept better.

I think for some Jets fans 2011 and 2012 never happened.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    How's the Bears OL been for the past few yrs?

AZ had one of, if not the worst, OL in the NFL this past yr?
    Minnesota had a good OL when Tice coached them in the late 90s
    Chicago's OL was horrible because of lack of talent not coaching.

Grimm likewise was a successful O-Line coach with the Redskins (developed Chris Samuels and Jon Jansen) and Pittsburgh (top 10 Run blocking OL in 2004-2006). His OL sucked in Arizona b/c no talent not coaching.

But hey, if you prefer Devlin to Grimm and Tice, thats fine. Talk to me when hes fired at the end of next year.

The reason Rex doesnt hire guys like Grimm, Tice, Whisenhunt etc to his staff is because they are a threat to his job

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    As I recall he was told prior to any intrview his job would be in jepordy and still chose to do it.