Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Darrelle Revis rumor speaks to Jets’ dire situation

Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    you are correct and your signature violates the size rule. thanks
    It's a fine exhibit of engineering though!
    Simply beautiful!

Rookie
    It's not dire. It's pretty simple. Revis is a tremendous player but wants a huge franchise QB number and a long-term deal. I don;t think he really cares about the effect of his cap number on the Jets ability to sign other players and the overall performance of the team. And he doesn't seem to be that negotiable. Please don't crucify me here for stating the obvious but our options are:

1- Resign him to a long-term deal by hitting HIS number. Negatives: Tying up so much of the cap in one player. Also, we don't know for certain how his recovery will be.

2- Trade him now. Deal would be highly conditional because of his surgery.

3- Let him play the year and watch him walk out the door because Tannenbaum agreed not to franchise him.

My guess is that the Jets will sign him to his number and we will live with the consequences. As a fan I guess I would be okay with that.

Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    This article (wherever it's from) is a joke... just an excuse to bash the team.

The writer starts out saying they need to trade him because the Jets are in cap hell, and then admits that trading Revis will add $3mil to their 2013 cap.

Then the writer claims that trading Revis would be a sign that the Jets are going to be overhauling their entire roster and coaching staff and will be giving up on 2013 in the process.

What about including some relevant facts? Such as...

1) Revis has one more year on his deal, and if the Jets don't want to pay a CB $15mil+ a year, and want to get some value back from him, the time to trade him is now.

2) The pass defense played fine last year without him. If anything, it's proved having him is a luxury. How many games did we lose in 2012 that we would've won with Revis? Trading him is hardly giving up on the season.

If the Giants were in a similar situation, the media would be writing articles about how paying CBs top dollar isn't worth it, and how smart the Giants were being to make sure that they didn't let Revis walk next year for nothing. .. but since it's the Jets
    Why no relevant facts?

Because the OP is more interested in putting the Revis trade rumors...in a context that proves that Rex will be out the door...as soon as the 2013 season ends. That's what he wants to get across. It's part of a mantra around here that Rex must go.

Even if Woody doesn't see it that way. And Idzik may not either. Too bad for them...right!?!

This notion that Rex is automatically one and done has no basis as fact. Why would Woody insist that potential GM candidates, should realize that they would have to work with Rex. He's telling them that if you're not interested in working with Rex...then don't bother interviewing. Woody thinks those two AFCCGs makes Rex worth keeping. There's no indication in Woody's actions that should make anyone conclude...that Rex is just one year HC fodder.

I just saw an interview on SNY. Brian Custer asked Idzik "...does he(Rex) have basically a season to prove to you that he is indeed your guy?"

These are excerpts of Idzik's reply....

"No I don't look at it like that. I've had a good opportunity to talk with Rex these last couple of days. We've spent a lot of time together in Mobile and Senior Bowl. Rex and I are kind of cut from the same cloth. We're both football brats. And grew up around the game. Our dad's coached against each other. He's very optimistic energetic engaging coach that gets his players to play hard. And I'm looking forward working with Rex"

http://web.sny.tv/media/video.jsp?topic_id=21533122

Some fans want to believe the media's colorization of 2013...and moves like possibly trading Revis, as a sign that Rex will be fired after the season. And dismiss the notion that Jets simply can't...or won't...pay Revis $15-18 mil franchise QB money. Refuse to see a move like this as related to the Jets having a serious CAP mess. Therefore needing to make a tough decision...like trading Revis. Trying to get more in return now, while Revis is still under contract...then just a 3rd round compensatory pick when Revis signs elsewhere as a FA.

Most of the news...and moves concerning the Jets...eventually seems to end up as another sign that Rex will be ASAP gone after 2013. It's always the same agenda...Rex must be fired. Woody's a stooge...Idzik's a stooge...Korn-Ferry are stooges...Polian's a stooge...cause Rex is the devil. All this bs before the 2013 offseason has even begun. Media pied piping their tunes...and crap dancing on Woody and Rex...with Idzik now included..and many hyper haters mirroring this...responding with an orgiastic dance...and singing the same song

If the Jets can't play better then 4-12...well then go ahead and fire Rex and the CS.

But until then...save me the grief!

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    I am all for trading Revis. I think we have to. This is the unfortunate reality in the Salary Cap Era.

What scares me is the fact that this is a trade the franchise cant screw up. We need to get value back. This means not only getting picks but also choosing the right players with these picks. I wish I could say I have confidence that they wont screw it up, but after what I heard today and what little I know about the new GM, im just not that confident.
    Lol another sar apprentice

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    you are correct and your signature violates the size rule. thanks
    rat.

Banned
    revis will retire a jet. he will agree to a cap friendly deal that will extend his contract and remain a jet. as mentioned you dont trade hall of fame players.
    I actually agree with this. I'm hoping they can do a deal where the first 2 years are cheap. Then after the Jets have established salary cap room it will be easier to absorb Revis's contract.

Hoping.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri_0515 View Post
    I actually agree with this. I'm hoping they can do a deal where the first 2 years are cheap. Then after the Jets have established salary cap room it will be easier to absorb Revis's contract.

Hoping.
    Santa Claus,The Easter Bunny,The Tooth Fairy and Peter Pan are all rooting for you..

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    I'd hope for a 1 and a conditional the year after.

If he leaves as a FA, Jets should get a lat3 3.
    \

But only if they don't sign more fA dollars than they lost. Say the jets sign Oher to play RT for 6 mill and Percy Harvin for 7mill with that 50 mill of 2014 cap dollars that the jets will have. if Revis signs for 14 mill a year the jets will be luck to get a 6th the next year.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    I'd hope for a 1 and a conditional the year after.

If he leaves as a FA, Jets should get a lat3 3.
    \

But only if they don't sign more fA dollars than they lost. Say the jets sign Oher to play RT for 6 mill and Percy Harvin for 7mill with that 50 mill of 2014 cap dollars that the jets will have. if Revis signs for 14 mill a year the jets will be luck to get a 6th the next year.

The jets can sign and keep him if they wish. They can sign him to a contract that begins in 2014, he just can't get the money until then, It will be like money in the bank for Revis, and the jets may be able and should be able to get a small discount for signing him a year early and while he is still injured.

Plus it is the safe move. It will be popular with the fans. If the jets trade him they take a hit for not getting what fans believe is equal value, and it makes a lot of pressure on the team and the draft choice himself to perform at what will be an unreasonable expectation.
    Last edited by patman; 01-24-2013 at 08:55 PM.

Veteran
    I'd rather trade Cro for a 3 and a conditional 2014 pick and call it a day.

Selling low on Revis doesn't make sense.

Selling high on Cro does.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Santa Claus,The Easter Bunny,The Tooth Fairy and Peter Pan are all rooting for you..
    I don't believe in Peter Pan.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri_0515 View Post
    I don't believe in Peter Pan.
    You're more like the Tooth Fairy.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Excellent, that should help.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    You're more like the Tooth Fairy.