Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: politi: idzik must find way to keep revis.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

politi: idzik must find way to keep revis.

John Idzik had to know he would be putting out fires as the new general manager of the Jets, but he probably didn’t anticipate that the welcome mat would be engulfed in flames.

Hello. Nice to meet you. Some weather we’re having! So are you trading your best player or what?

That was his introduction on Thursday, because he hadn’t even toured the team’s complex before he was hit with his first typical Jets controversy. One report had owner Woody Johnson looking to trade cornerback Darrelle Revis. Another had Rex Ryan against any such move. Revis, later in the day, said he was “speechless” on Twitter, but given recent Jets history, he won’t stay that way for long.

Welcome to Florham Park!

Idzik, to his credit, did not board the first flight back to Seattle. But the new GM missed a chance to diffuse the controversy, choosing to not even offer a lukewarm statement of support for his best player.

“I haven’t had a chance to sit down and go through the roster, so I think it would be presumptuous to say anything,” Idzik said, as if he was talking about a back-up long snapper.

This, without question, will be the first major test for the new guy, and the answer should be an easy one. Yes, Idzik might be able to trade Revis for a few young players or draft picks that’ll aid in the rebuilding process.

But if Idzik is a good general manager, he won’t view Revis as an asset. He’ll recognize him as a cornerstone. He’ll find a way to keep the superstar in a Jets uniform until the day he retires, then go about fitting the necessary pieces around him to build a winning team.

Honestly, what is the rush to trade Revis? Or maybe this is a better question: How does a team that gave big-money contracts to the wrong players – ala Mark Sanchez and Santonio Holmes – not give one to a player who actually deserves the long-term commitment?

Forget the idea that some team is going to shower the Jets with draft picks the way Minnesota did for Herschel Walker all those years ago to fuel a Dallas dynasty. There is a reason a deal like that will never happen again: It was panned as one of the worst in sports history.

Revis, coming off ACL surgery, will never get fair value in a trade. Great players rarely do. He is a superstar in his prime and a leader in the Jets locker room, and Idzik didn’t do himself any favors on his first day by failing to acknowledge that in his introductory press conference.

“I haven’t had a chance to sit down and go through the roster, so I think it would be presumptuous to say anything,” Idzik said. “One of our first steps is to go through our roster in great detail, that includes Darrelle and everybody on the roster.”

Maybe this was just the contractor negotiator in Idzik, not wanting to give Revis’ agents more press clippings to leverage against him -- you know, like the ones Ryan has provided for years in gushing over a player integral to his defense. The only time Idzik heaped praise on anyone during his introductory press conference, he was talking about his wife and three kids.

It is clear from the beginning that, where Ryan is compulsive, his new boss will be cautious. There is nothing wrong with that, of course. Jets fans want less sideshow and more success, and if Ryan was an eight-flavor ice-cream sundae on his first day, then Idzik was a bowl of vanilla.

But it would’ve been nice to see a little more conviction from the new boss. Idzik talked a lot about seeking input – the college drinking-game words of the day were “collaborative effort” – when the Jets really need one strong voice to set the agenda and put a rudder on this ship.

Idzik needs to establish himself as that guy. He said the right things about the draft being a “lifeline for us,” and that the team needed to be “judicious in free agency.” The idea that Idzik isn’t a “personnel guy” is overblown – he’s been with enough successful teams to identify good football players, and to know that the Jets don’t have enough of them.

Revis is one of them. In some ways, trading him might be the easier path. He wants an enormous salary and, unlike his holdouts as a rookie and two years ago in training camp holdout, has the leverage. He can become a free agent at the end of the season, and Johnson reportedly has little confidence that his team can re-sign him.

Make no mistake: Johnson doesn't really want to trade Revis. He wants to trade his agents, Neil Schwartz and Jonathan Feinsod, who are not the most popular people in Florham Park.

Idzik will have to deal with that dynamic. He takes over a team that is $19.4 million over the salary cap for 2013. He inherits a starting quarterback who, in the opinion of the head coach, has to “erase his hard drive.” He has to rework his roster to add more depth and talent at every skill position.

And, if that’s not enough, he has to figure out what to do with the most accomplished player on his roster. The Jets are a better team if he keeps Revis as a cornerstone, not use him as a trade asset. It won’t be easy, but a good general manager always find a way.

Steve Politi: spoliti@starledger.com; Twitter: @StevePoliti.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    The money will make the decision.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not saying give him any sum on cash he asks for, but pay the man.

They threw a pile of cash in Sanchez lap for absolutely no reason and he never earned that money.

They gave Holmes a huge extension, made him one of the highest paid WRs despite the fact that he's been a ****ty teammate and is not one of the elite WRs in the league.

They signed Pace and Scott to big FA deals as outsiders who never lived up to the contracts they signed.

Revis is the teams best player and a leader. He needs to stay. Nobody is giving up multiple 1st rounders for him and there is a lot of money coming off the books next year, find a way to keep him.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Its not just the Jets/Idzik, Revis also needs to work on the deal if he wants to stay here. We should pay him, but he needs to be able to work with the team as well. He cant say hey I want 15 mill a year for 7 years, take it or leave it. If he does that then screw his arse. Every two years we get this Revis drama, enough is enough.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Cry me a river, Mevi$ fanboys

Revis already got paid big $ up front and hurt the team when he missed games in '10 from holding out and not staying in shape - no need to throw good $ after bad

The Jets brought in Cromartie and Wilson so they wouldn't be deficient at CB - no need for a gold-plated "cornerstone" that doesn't collapse the house when it's missing

Better to pay Landry and trade Mevi$

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, Idzik might be able to trade Revis for a few young players or draft picks that’ll aid in the rebuilding process.
    Well then what's the friggin problem??

But if Idzik is a good general manager, he won’t view Revis as an asset. He’ll recognize him as a cornerstone. He’ll find a way to keep the superstar in a Jets uniform until the day he retires, then go about fitting the necessary pieces around him to build a winning team.
    Oh, I see. We should build our team around a Cornerback.

Yes people, pay Revis like a Quarterback and then fit everything else around that.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, Revis is a great player.

But please explain to me why we can't live without him?

One of the few positives from last season is that this defense didn't faulter one bit after Revis went down.

But yeah, let's throw $16-18 million a year at a guy we got along just fine without and continue to neglect this abortion of an offense.

Anything to keep our precious Revis.

He's the best CB in the league, you know?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    How did I know you would get the reference? Not spelled the same, but I took some poetic license.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post

One of the few positives from last season is that this defense didn't faulter one bit after Revis went down.

But yeah, let's throw $16-18 million a year at a guy we got along just fine without and continue to neglect this abortion of an offense.

UT I couldn't agree more...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

It's pretty simple if you can keep him, you keep him. I wouldn't keep him at all costs meaning overspending, the right price even if it's a lil ridiculous I want him, a lil. What do think he is worth on the block? Is anyone going to trade on that knee? Idk, I wouldn't mind just trading him, but for what? The money part is easy, what about the picks.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    How did I know you would get the reference? Not spelled the same, but I took some poetic license.
    Man we had every type of band on earth in the late 70's and 80's.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes we need to keep him if we can. Any smart person will tell you this. Nobody knows what he will be asking for. I'm sure there are ways to make a contract cap friendly.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    It's pretty simple if you can keep him, you keep him. I wouldn't keep him at all costs meaning overspending, the right price even if it's a lil ridiculous I want him, a lil. What do think he is worth on the block? Is anyone going to trade on that knee? Idk, I wouldn't mind just trading him, but for what? The money part is easy, what about the picks.
    I'd take a 2nd round pick for Revis and be perfectly content.

Hell, I'd take a conditional 3rd.

Some of you guys need to wake up and realize that this team is going through a rebuilding phase and realistically won't contend for another 2-3 years.

We have no QB, no RB, no TE, a huge question mark at WR, 2/5 of our OL is set to hit the market, 3/4 of our LB corps needs to be replaced, and both of our starting safeties are headed out the door.

Yet we have half this board wanting to retain Revis at all cost, even though we just fielded the #2 ranked pass defense in the league without him.

Sorry, that's retarded.

Some of you guys are just obsessed with having a HOF talent on this team.

I'm more concerned with finding a legit QB and fixing this sh*tastic offense.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Landry made a big difference in making Revis seem less indispensable.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd take a 2nd round pick for Revis and be perfectly content.

Hell, I'd take a conditional 3rd.

Some of you guys need to wake up and realize that this team is going through a rebuilding phase and realistically won't contend for another 2-3 years.

We have no QB, no RB, no TE, a huge question mark at WR, 2/5 of our OL is set to hit the market, 3/4 of our LB corps needs to be replaced, and both of our starting safeties are headed out the door.

Yet we have half this board wanting to retain Revis at all cost, even though we just fielded the #2 ranked pass defense in the league without him.

Sorry, that's retarded.

Some of you guys are just obsessed with having a HOF talent on this team.

I'm more concerned with finding a legit QB and fixing this sh*tastic offense.
    Why should a proven first round pick be traded for less?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    Why should a proven first round pick be traded for less?
    Because he just shredded his knee and wants to be the highest paid defensive player in football.

Simple stuff, really.

And I don't care what anyone says, CB isn't a premium position.

I'll take a dominant DL or LB over a stud corner anyday of the week.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Because he just shredded his knee and wants to be the highest paid defensive player in football.

Simple stuff, really.

And I don't care what anyone says, CB isn't a premium position.

I'll take a dominant DL or LB over a stud corner anyday of the week.
    They will get a 3rd round compensatory pick if he walks away as a free agent after next year, so suggesting a 3rd round pick is good enough is stupid beyond words.

Nobody said keep him at all costs, as far as I know. He deserves to be paid after his deal is up. The Jets are better with him, and they will have plenty of money available next off season once Sanchez Holmes Pace Scott etc are gone.

You act like there is only one correct answer here when the reality is there is just as good a case to keep him as there is to trade him.

But carry on with the Mevi$ bashing as if none of the other players in this league care about making money.

By the way, they can fix the offense AND keep Revis... Those issues are not mutually exclusive.
    Last edited by TheMikeIsHot; 01-24-2013 at 08:30 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    They will get a 3rd round compensatory pick if he walks away as a free agent after next year, so suggesting a 3rd round pick is good enough is stupid beyond words.

Nobody said keep him at all costs, as far as I know. He deserves to be paid after his deal is up. The Jets are better with him, and they will have plenty of money available next off season once Sanchez Holmes Pace Scott etc are gone.

You act like there is only one correct answer here when the reality is there is just as good a case to keep him as there is to trade him.

But carry on with the Mevi$ bashing as if none of the other players in this league care about making money.

By the way, they can fix the offense AND keep Revis... Those issues are not mutually exclusive.
    Oh snap