Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Why is Revis speechless?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    This is really the first time that the Jets have the upper hand with Revis. IMO the Jets should either trade him or sign him to new deal before this season. They can not allow him to go into this season on his current deal and risk losing him in free agency.
    Last year the Jet's had all the cards in their favor. D Revis is holding all the cards now with the Jets powerless to do anything to prevent him from coming an unrestricted Fa. N o one paying a lot to rent a player for one year. Not when D Revis sees a lot of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ waiting for him in Fa in 2014.

Jets Insider VIP
    Phoenix, AZ (New Jets Stadium Section 246)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    You can structure a trade to get fair value.

And would you rather wait until after the season and risk losing him for a measly comp pick.
    Bingo!

You trade Revis for a 2013 2nd Round pick and a conditional 2014 1st Round pick. The condition being that Revis plays 75% (or some other number) or more of defensive snaps in 2013 season.

Thus, we GUARANTEE ourselves a 2nd round pick no matter what. And the upside is that if Revis is healthy enough to play in 2013 (even if it's by Week 2 or 3, etc) then we get a 1st rounder.

I'm no draft/trade expert but I think something like this would be beneficial to the Jets and our trading partner. The acquiring team risks nothing more than a 2nd rounder if Revis can't play or gets re-injured....and we'll be happy to have gotten at least something for an injured player. On the flipside, if he's back and plays in 2013 then we get a 1st round pick.
    Last edited by jetstream23; 01-25-2013 at 11:20 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
    Unfortunately, I have no choice but to sit back and watch what Idzik does. That being said, I suppose you would have advocated the Ravens trading away Ray Lewis in '98 or '99 when they were 6-10 and 8-8 (sound familiar?). I assume you remember they won the SB in 2000 with a not so great QB.

In terms of the cap, that can be handled without ditching our only player who has a legitimate chance of retiring as one of the all-time greats. For starters:

Bart Scott - $7.15 mil in cap space (Demario Davis is ready to step up)

Calvin Pace - $8.5 mil

Tim Tebow - $5 mil

Brandon Moore, Sione, Keller??? There are lots of ways to clean up the cap. I'm confident Idzik can handle it.

But trading Revis? That's just stupid.
    It would help if you understood the cap a bit. Moore and Keller don't count for a cent against it

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider9175 View Post
    Last year the Jet's had all the cards in their favor. D Revis is holding all the cards now with the Jets powerless to do anything to prevent him from coming an unrestricted Fa. N o one paying a lot to rent a player for one year. Not when D Revis sees a lot of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ waiting for him in Fa in 2014.
    Didn't the Raiders pay a lot to 'rent' Seymour

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite View Post
    Didn't the Raiders pay a lot to 'rent' Seymour
    Richard Seymour played three years with the Raiders and it wasn't a one year rental was it. Again no team is giving up a lot without Revis signing a long term contract with that team. Just give me one reason why he would do that when he will have so many teams competing for his services in 2014. I'm not trying to tick anyone off but just trying to keep it real.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Bingo!

You trade Revis for a 2013 2nd Round pick and a conditional 2014 1st Round pick. The condition being that Revis plays 75% (or some other number) or more of defensive snaps in 2013 season.

Thus, we GUARANTEE ourselves a 2nd round pick no matter what. And the upside is that if Revis is healthy enough to play in 2013 (even if it's by Week 2 or 3, etc) then we get a 1st rounder.

I'm no draft/trade expert but I think something like this would be beneficial to the Jets and our trading partner. The acquiring team risks nothing more than a 2nd rounder if Revis can't play or gets re-injured....and we'll be happy to have gotten at least something for an injured player. On the flipside, if he's back and plays in 2013 then we get a 1st round pick.

THIS
    sounds like a great idea to me, and very realistic in terms of compensation. Right now, coming off an injury, other teams would be risking a lot on the idea that Revis can be just as good as ever. I think this is a win-win situation, or a win-win-win (2 teams and Revis) LOL!