Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why is Revis speechless?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by teddyld View Post
    I love Revis to death and I hope that the front office does not trade him. However if Revis is to get his elite player money, he's gotta give me more bang for my buck than just doing his job the best of any cornerback around. A price tag like that comes with a leadership mandate. He would have to invoke, inspire, lead, be vocal and accountable for this franchise like a Ray Lewis, a Peyton Manning or even Gisele's boy toy. Its not enough for him to isolate himself, thinking its enough that we Jets fans get to see an elite defensive player on a weekly basis. No, going forward he has to share his will with the entire team, motivate them to a higher level. Lewis isn't half the player he was, but like him or not his presence changes the dynamic of that team. Its like going into battle with William Wallace, you feel invincible. Up to this point, Revis has been content to just do his thing. To get that next big check out of Woody's wallet, I think he must evolve into the true leader he is capable of being, but has yet to accept.
    That's not Revis, its not in his DNA. I don't think he can change and be that guy now.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by teddyld View Post
    I love Revis to death and I hope that the front office does not trade him. However if Revis is to get his elite player money, he's gotta give me more bang for my buck than just doing his job the best of any cornerback around. A price tag like that comes with a leadership mandate. He would have to invoke, inspire, lead, be vocal and accountable for this franchise like a Ray Lewis, a Peyton Manning or even Gisele's boy toy. Its not enough for him to isolate himself, thinking its enough that we Jets fans get to see an elite defensive player on a weekly basis. No, going forward he has to share his will with the entire team, motivate them to a higher level. Lewis isn't half the player he was, but like him or not his presence changes the dynamic of that team. Its like going into battle with William Wallace, you feel invincible. Up to this point, Revis has been content to just do his thing. To get that next big check out of Woody's wallet, I think he must evolve into the true leader he is capable of being, but has yet to accept.
    That's what we really need. More intangibles. It's not that the team lacks talent. They're just not as amped up as they should be.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm a firm believer in today's game with the rules the way they are, you build your D through the draft and invest long term veteran contracts on the offensive side of the ball. Just about every playoff team would put upwards of 30 points on our D even with Revis. It's the nature of the game today. Why invest so heavily in Revis when the best he can do is take one player away? Offenses now sport 3-5 dangerous weapons. A great pass rusher is worth far more than Revis simply because he can take ALL the playmakers out if the play at any given time.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
    Revis is awesome and deserves every penny. He should be a Jet for life and treated with respect from the fans and owner. Tanny should've locked him up with a long-term deal two years ago!!

If the jets trade him away for draft picks, they'll just waste them on more sh*tty picks.
    You're right. We should trade all of our draft picks for free agents.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Contact Woody. Sounds like you can handle contracts, the cap and the draft.
    Unfortunately, I have no choice but to sit back and watch what Idzik does. That being said, I suppose you would have advocated the Ravens trading away Ray Lewis in '98 or '99 when they were 6-10 and 8-8 (sound familiar?). I assume you remember they won the SB in 2000 with a not so great QB.

In terms of the cap, that can be handled without ditching our only player who has a legitimate chance of retiring as one of the all-time greats. For starters:

Bart Scott - $7.15 mil in cap space (Demario Davis is ready to step up)

Calvin Pace - $8.5 mil

Tim Tebow - $5 mil

Brandon Moore, Sione, Keller??? There are lots of ways to clean up the cap. I'm confident Idzik can handle it.

But trading Revis? That's just stupid.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    The secondary was one of the bright spots of the 2012 Jets. I think the guy is great, and I love it he's a Jet. That being said, he will break the bank to re-sign, and there's no reason to believe he my attempt hold out for more money if/when he has an exceptional season. As much as I hate to say it, trade now, get value, stand pat on our secondary and get some bad-ass pass rushers and you'll see good things happen.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Unfortunately, I have no choice but to sit back and watch what Idzik does. That being said, I suppose you would have advocated the Ravens trading away Ray Lewis in '98 or '99 when they were 6-10 and 8-8 (sound familiar?). I assume you remember they won the SB in 2000 with a not so great QB.

In terms of the cap, that can be handled without ditching our only player who has a legitimate chance of retiring as one of the all-time greats. For starters:

Calvin Pace - $8.5 mil

Tim Tebow - $5 mil

Brandon Moore, Sione, Keller??? There are lots of ways to clean up the cap. I'm confident Idzik can handle it.

I'd rather build a SB contending team then worrying about 1 Jet player retiring as an all time great and without a ring.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally Posted by J.D. View Post

Calvin Pace - $8.5 mil

Tim Tebow - $5 mil

I'd rather build a SB contending team then worrying about 1 Jet player retiring as an all time great and without a ring.

I guess you overlooked the bolded part above about Ray Lewis. It's a lot easier to build a SB team around an all-time great player like Ray Lewis, Joe Montana, Lawrence Taylor or... DARRELLE REVIS!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Brady has..
    Brady knew he wouldn't have the cheat system that made him look better than he was elsewhere. Plus he makes it up on advertising and other income from the adoring, kneeling Pats fans.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally Posted by J.D. View Post

Calvin Pace - $8.5 mil

Tim Tebow - $5 mil

I guess you overlooked the bolded part above about Ray Lewis. It's a lot easier to build a SB team around an all-time great player like Ray Lewis, Joe Montana, Lawrence Taylor or... DARRELLE REVIS!
    I didn't. Just don't care to discuss it and Revis isn't anywhere near a LT or Montana. That's laughable.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    I'm a firm believer in today's game with the rules the way they are, you build your D through the draft and invest long term veteran contracts on the offensive side of the ball. Just about every playoff team would put upwards of 30 points on our D even with Revis. It's the nature of the game today. Why invest so heavily in Revis when the best he can do is take one player away? Offenses now sport 3-5 dangerous weapons. A great pass rusher is worth far more than Revis simply because he can take ALL the playmakers out if the play at any given time.
    Didn't we draft Revis? So you're saying build through the draft but dump what you've developed as soon as they live up to their potential?

Plus, Revis doesn't just take one player off the field. He frees up a whole chuck of real estate that enables safeties to rush the QB and more. Our whole D strategy had to be reworked when he went down.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's gone. Time for everyone to just accept it. Great player. Best player since Namath. Just can't afford him and he is not going to help them afford him.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Because "its just business" is Revis and his agents line.
    Yep, well Mevis has held this franchise hostage long enough, I am glad to see Woody finally grabbing his sack.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Revis is awesome and deserves every penny. He should be a Jet for life and treated with respect from the fans and owner. Tanny should've locked him up with a long-term deal two years ago!!

If the jets trade him away for draft picks, they'll just waste them on more sh*tty picks.
    This guy gets it.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Revis will absolutely not be the same player after this injury. He's made enough money off the Jets. All of you old timers know what it's like being a fan of this team, we pay him and he won't be the same player. We trade him and he still dominates. I'll settle for draft picks!

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetman in indy View Post
    Revis will absolutely not be the same player after this injury. He's made enough money off the Jets. All of you old timers know what it's like being a fan of this team, we pay him and he won't be the same player. We trade him and he still dominates. I'll settle for draft picks!
    Kind of like how AP wasn't "the same player" this year after coming back from the same injury?

I'm sure those draft picks will be better spent on T'eo.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    If the Jets get ripped off and trade Revis for a couple 2nd round picks I'll be speechless.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Revis, unfortunately, is in the driver's seat. He plays this year and is an unrestricted free agent next year. Why should he sign now for a coming off an injury discount? No one will trade much for him either, knowing he can walk away at the end of the season.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CGJET View Post
    The secondary was one of the bright spots of the 2012 Jets. I think the guy is great, and I love it he's a Jet. That being said, he will break the bank to re-sign, and there's no reason to believe he my attempt hold out for more money if/when he has an exceptional season. As much as I hate to say it, trade now, get value, stand pat on our secondary and get some bad-ass pass rushers and you'll see good things happen.
    Unless Idzik does some amazing cap manuevering we're losing Laron Landry too this off-season which means we'd lose Darrelle Revis and Laron Landry in the same off-season. No way our secondary is even average next year if that happens.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by docdhc View Post
    Revis, unfortunately, is in the driver's seat. He plays this year and is an unrestricted free agent next year. Why should he sign now for a coming off an injury discount? No one will trade much for him either, knowing he can walk away at the end of the season.
    Let's see, the trade Revis camp thinks two things are going to happen.

An NFL GM will

1. Give up multiple 1st round picks

+

2. Give Revis a $100 million contract with at least $50 mil guaranteed.

All this with Revis coming off a torn ACL which absolutely has an impact on how any player would be able to make cuts as well as straight line speed. Keyshawn was not coming off an injury in 2000 - he had just had a great season for us and was 100% healthy.