Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 14 of 48 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: New York Islanders - 2013

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    Just win and they're in, no matter what.

Of course, tall order to win all of the last 9.
    6-3 definitely gets us in. Anything less and we're at the whim of two other teams getting real hot (i.e. Philly if they beat us twice).

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I watched a good portion of the Devils-Sabres game and unless NJ flips a switch they can't seem to locate, they are in big trouble. Buffalo is not a good team. Excellent goalie but nothing else. Devs don't have anyone stepping up. Not sure when they get Kovo back, but without him, they have little chance to make the playoffs.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    I watched a good portion of the Devils-Sabres game and unless NJ flips a switch they can't seem to locate, they are in big trouble. Buffalo is not a good team. Excellent goalie but nothing else. Devs don't have anyone stepping up. Not sure when they get Kovo back, but without him, they have little chance to make the playoffs.
    Now that hockey for Islander fans is actually relevant, I found the NHL network on XM yesterday and i was listening for a while. One of the biggest busts that they were talking about was David Clarkson. They were focusing on the fact that he started off the season with something like 10 goals in 10 games (might be a bit of hyperbole there) and now has 12 goals total. He had the FA money in his hand and now its slowly falling through his fingers.

Always liked Clarkson but it sounds like he can't carry that team and no one else wants to step up either. More than anything, it shows how good Kovalchuk is. Might be one of the more underrated superstars of our time, partially because he plays in a defense-oriented system.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Man I wash i could go to the rangers islanders game Sat. Should be loudest crowd in several years.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I've maintained positivity through the history of this thread, but I have a bad feeling about the Flyers game. Can't put my finger on it. Hope I'm wrong...

I agree. 12 more points and playoffs are a lock. 10 could be enough.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've maintained positivity through the history of this thread, but I have a bad feeling about the Flyers game. Can't put my finger on it. Hope I'm wrong...

Hope you're wrong. Isles finally give you a bit of hope, only to smash it on the rocks and take a steamy dump on it, yes? How very Jets like.

Thanks to the Leafs.

Gotta put a hurt on Philly tonight to take advantage.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Islanders win tonight- they are focused & Capuano will have them ready.......right?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Hope you're wrong. Isles finally give you a bit of hope, only to smash it on the rocks and take a steamy dump on it, yes? How very Jets like.

Thanks to the Leafs.

Gotta put a hurt on Philly tonight to take advantage.
    It will be interesting to see who Cappy dresses tonight. Philly is pretty aggressive and physical so he may put Carkner back in, but Martinek is playing some very good hockey - not sure if he should come out.

Jonnesu played a very good game as well on Saturday. I hope we see him....even over Lee.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    keeping DP too long has resulted in a back up goalie we don't trust

looking at the sched, I don't know where to put Poulin in

if they win tonight, they'll probably do it Thurs

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    It will be interesting to see who Cappy dresses tonight. Philly is pretty aggressive and physical so he may put Carkner back in, but Martinek is playing some very good hockey - not sure if he should come out.

Jonnesu played a very good game as well on Saturday. I hope we see him....even over Lee.
    Philly has been playing some good hockey of late. Definitely a dangerous team, and the Isles cannot take them lightly.

Didn't Lee have an assist on Saturday?

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    keeping DP too long has resulted in a back up goalie we don't trust

looking at the sched, I don't know where to put Poulin in

if they win tonight, they'll probably do it Thurs
    Throw Poulin to the wolves on Thursday? I kind of agree. Nothing to lose, really, by putting him in. Although Boston hasn't been playing lights out lately.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Philly has been playing some good hockey of late. Definitely a dangerous team, and the Isles cannot take them lightly.

Didn't Lee have an assist on Saturday?
    Lee has a goal and an assist but has also been on the ice for all 4 goals (I think) in the two games he's played. At this point, he's kind of a defensive liability. I'd still play him at home, but on the road where we can't dictate matchups, it can be disasterous.

Throw Poulin to the wolves on Thursday? I kind of agree. Nothing to lose, really, by putting him in. Although Boston hasn't been playing lights out lately.

With no back to back games until the end of the season, I'm not sure we see Poulin at all unless we have nothing to gain in the last two. I'm fine with that - as long as he has a day off between games, he should be fine.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

If you go by yesterdays practice skating line-ups it looks like JJ will be in for Lee on the fourth line. We'll see.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    With no back to back games until the end of the season, I'm not sure we see Poulin at all unless we have nothing to gain in the last two. I'm fine with that - as long as he has a day off between games, he should be fine.
    I'd like to see Nabby get a rest before the playoffs, if they make it, because there will be no rest once they start.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd like to see Nabby get a rest before the playoffs, if they make it, because there will be no rest once they start.
    I'm riding Nabby all the way. If we do lock-up a berth then I can see Poulin...but up to this point I have no confidence in Poulin. Guy is a rebound machine.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    NABBY OR BUST!

Poulin is not getting into a game unless the Islanders have the 6 seed locked up.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RobR View Post
    I'm riding Nabby all the way. If we do lock-up a berth then I can see Poulin...but up to this point I have no confidence in Poulin. Guy is a rebound machine.
    I don't have as much confidence in Poulin as Nabby either, that's why I wouldn't mind seeing Poulin in on Thursday as sort of the sacrificial lamb. Sort of a nothing-to-lose type of deal, and Nabby gets a rest. Then again, Nabby just had two days rest before tonight, so he should be still good for Thursday. No way Poulin's in net for Saturday. Meh, whatever. Won't make a difference what I think who starts anyways! Just win!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Poulin is not getting into a game unless the Islanders have the 6 seed locked up.
    With Ottawas struggles lately, 6th seed isn't out of reach. Have a game left vs. Toronto, also. 5th seed just about out of reach, but not quite yet.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm thinking if Isles beat Philly and Rangers lose again, it's Poulin against Bruins. Otherwise, I think they're too ascared.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    With Ottawas struggles lately, 6th seed isn't out of reach. Have a game left vs. Toronto, also. 5th seed just about out of reach, but not quite yet.
    My post wasn't in jest. I think the 6 seed is definitely a possibility. IF the Isles stay hot I don't see why they can't get there.

And again, I really hate to even put it out there, but the Isles have a more favorable schedule (opponent-wise) than any of the contenders for the last 3 playoff seeds.

It's all right there for the taking. Now it's just a matter of grabbing it.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RobR View Post
    If you go by yesterdays practice skating line-ups it looks like JJ will be in for Lee on the fourth line. We'll see.
    According to the practice update from this morning, Carkner is in - no word on the forward lines yet. JJ in for Lee (with Reasoner out) makes sense. I'd like to bench Aucoin too in order to Lee in the lineup but TBH, he's a gritty little guy and he's sort of making it hard to take him out.

Good on him.