Page 18 of 48 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: New York Islanders - 2013

All League
    Gotta get 2 points tonight. Florida is eliminated, so I hope they don't play down to their level. Or I hope Florida doesn't play inspired "nothing to lose" hockey.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    Gotta get 2 points tonight. Florida is eliminated, so I hope they don't play down to their level. Or I hope Florida doesn't play inspired "nothing to lose" hockey.
    Other than that laugher against Winnipeg, FL hasn't been all that bad recently. The Isles should beat them handily, but if they make mistakes or are careless, they could easily find themselves behind.

Tonight seems like moving day in the East. A lot of things can shake out as all the teams in contention for spots 6-8 are playing.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by RobR View Post
    So your'e saying the mods suck.

That had to be one of their best games all season and I still can't figure out how we lost.

They beat Lundquist not once, but twice through the five hole and did not score. Zeeker also beat him behind and clanked the opposite post. It had the feeling of 4-1 game but oh well.....that's why they play em.

I see they activated Finley and Strait so it should be an interesting line-up tomorrow. I just hope they keep it the same after that effort.
    Finley better not see the ice at all. Strait's a tough call. When he was healthy, he was our best all around D-man, I think, but the boys have grown up a lot since then. I guess the Carkner/Martinek platoon could take a step back, but against real physical teams like the Flyers and Leafs, I'm not so sure I want to be without Carkner. He may be somewhat of a liability speed wise, but he sure keeps opposing Forwards honest.

Regardless, its a nice problem to have.

Veteran
    Looks like Martinek in for Carkner, No word on forward lines but I'm assuming it stays the same.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Looks like Martinek in for Carkner, No word on forward lines but I'm assuming it stays the same.
    Is Parros in the lineup these days? Even so, its not like he can do anything other than drop the gloves - not sure I've ever seen him even lay a hit on someone. Not worth it.

I wonder if Lee will get into another game. I'd only chance it at home at this point, so tonight might be the only chance. But I like what I've seen from Jonnesu....for the most part.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Is Parros in the lineup these days? Even so, its not like he can do anything other than drop the gloves - not sure I've ever seen him even lay a hit on someone. Not worth it.

I wonder if Lee will get into another game. I'd only chance it at home at this point, so tonight might be the only chance. But I like what I've seen from Jonnesu....for the most part.
    I have no idea on who the Panthers are going too ice tonight, but I would like to see Lee in for Joensuu.
    JJ's play has been just alright in my eyes. What killed it for me was watching him take a shot and instead of crashing the net for a rebound, the big lug skates around the net. Just really struck a nerve.....if you are supposed to be a power forward then play like one. That was the one thing I've liked about Lees game in the short time he has played so far. Guy loves to go to the net and we just don't have enough of those guys currently.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

I have no idea on who the Panthers are going too ice tonight, but I would like to see Lee in for Joensuu.
    JJ's play has been just alright in my eyes. What killed it for me was watching him take a shot and instead of crashing the net for a rebound, the big lug skates around the net. Just really struck a nerve.....if you are supposed to be a power forward then play like one. That was the one thing I've liked about Lees game in the short time he has played so far. Guy loves to go to the net and we just don't have enough of those guys currently.
    Yeah, in hindsight I've been basing my opinion on JJ on his first game mostly and that probably was his high point. No argument from me if Lee plays tonight over JJ.

Ya gotta think that when Snow signed him, he gave some type of playing time commitment to his people. Tonight's as good as any to have him skate.

All League
    BTW, a real pleasure to listen to Jiggs do the game. I oly get the isles games on Center Ice, and you never know which announcers you'll get. I grew up listening to Eddie and Jiggs.

All League
    Nice win. Big 2 points.

A game they had to win. A game they should have won. A game they did win.

Came out flying, built a big lead, then played defensive hockey.

Veteran
    BTW, a real pleasure to listen to Jiggs do the game. I oly get the isles games on Center Ice, and you never know which announcers you'll get. I grew up listening to Eddie and Jiggs.
    Ditto! The only better feed we get is the ottawa games with Potvin announcing. That guy bleeds isles.

Now let the flyers finish this off.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I think we are 5 points away from clinching a playoff spot, for all intents and purposes.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

It would have been good to see the the Jets get only one pt last night, but having the Rags lose was enough for me.

And speaking of the Jets, nhl network was showing the shoot out - what an electric place to play. Good on them for supporting their team. Coliseum was bumping last nite too. Albeit a bit too late.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    I think we are 5 points away from clinching a playoff spot, for all intents and purposes.
    I got 8, but I like 5 better.

Only counted that 57 clinches (Montreal). I didn't do any more complex math than that.
    Last edited by Big L; 04-17-2013 at 07:04 AM.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I got 8, but I like 5 better.

Only counted that 57 clinches (Montreal). I didn't do any more complex math than that.
    8 points and I think you clinch the 7 seed, easily. I really don't think it will take winning 4 out of 5 to get into the playoffs. These teams below us will lose some games and in many instances, they will lose to one another.

And even more simple, I think if we go to Winnipeg and win in regulation, it's basically a done deal.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    8 points and I think you clinch the 7 seed, easily. I really don't think it will take winning 4 out of 5 to get into the playoffs. These teams below us will lose some games and in many instances, they will lose to one another.

And even more simple, I think if we go to Winnipeg and win in regulation, it's basically a done deal.
    I don't think any games on the slate tonight have much effect on the magic number.

Tomorrows game at the Leafs certainly will, though!

All League
    Anyone catch the national anthem at the Bruins game? Awesome.

Guy starts out he anthem, then the crowd goes the rest of the way.

Hall Of Fame
    I had the pleasure of going to the game last night. If I was a Long Island Islanders fan I would be heartbroken that the Coliseum is in it's last days. What a fantastic intimate atmosphere. I've read about the supposed decay of that place but I found it to be very comfortable with fantastic sight lines. I haven't enjoyed a sporting event that much in decades. A lot more fun than Jets games. Crowd wasn't filled with drunks either. So much fun.

Oh, and the Ice Girl Christi, she doesn't look like anything special on the Isles website, but she may be the most beautiful girl I've ever seen. Got within a foot of her after the game for a few minutes. I pretty much melted. It was painful.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    It would have been good to see the the Jets get only one pt last night, but having the Rags lose was enough for me.

And speaking of the Jets, nhl network was showing the shoot out - what an electric place to play. Good on them for supporting their team. Coliseum was bumping last nite too. Albeit a bit too late.
    Canadian fans rock, especially the smaller cities. A crime to take teams out of Quebec and Winnipeg while trying to establish teams in the southern US.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    I had the pleasure of going to the game last night. If I was a Long Island Islanders fan I would be heartbroken that the Coliseum is in it's last days. What a fantastic intimate atmosphere. I've read about the supposed decay of that place but I found it to be very comfortable with fantastic sight lines. I haven't enjoyed a sporting event that much in decades. A lot more fun than Jets games. Crowd wasn't filled with drunks either. So much fun.

Oh, and the Ice Girl Christi, she doesn't look like anything special on the Isles website, but she may be the most beautiful girl I've ever seen. Got within a foot of her after the game for a few minutes. I pretty much melted. It was painful.
    Totally agree. I grew up in Massapequa during the Dynasty, and it's just sad that we're losing them to that hellhole, Brooklyn.