Page 42 of 48 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast

Thread: New York Islanders - 2013

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    I don't know. I think the Nassau ship has sailed. But it goes to show you how team performance impacts these type of situations. Wang's decision to not field a competitive team the past 5 years certainly didn't help the Lighthouse project and subsequent referendum defeat.
    The move to Brooklyn is a done deal, the only thing up in the air is if they will be able to break their lease early.

Overall you have too like what this team did this year.....that was some entertaining hockey....now if Nabby would of only came up big once last night there would be a seven.

Oh well, until next year

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RobR View Post
    The move to Brooklyn is a done deal, the only thing up in the air is if they will be able to break their lease early.

Overall you have too like what this team did this year.....that was some entertaining hockey....now if Nabby would of only came up big once last night there would be a seven.

Oh well, until next year
    You have to be happy with the effort and heart the team showed this year -- even if the end last night was disappointing. I can't remember the last time I was this optimistic about the future of the Isles. They have a good young nucleus, hopefully they can add a couple of key free agents to upgrade the blue line and between the pipes. I don't think the Islanders will be as hard a sell to potential free agents as in past years.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Shift Jet View Post
    Go kick rocks, then get a pair of new glasses.

Both teams looked like they were skating wearing Frankenstein boots and the only reason the Islanders were even in the series was because Fleury was so pathetic.
    Wow... arrogant AND over opinionated. You just run the gammit on douchery don't ya.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithfan View Post
    You have to be happy with the effort and heart the team showed this year -- even if the end last night was disappointing. I can't remember the last time I was this optimistic about the future of the Isles. They have a good young nucleus, hopefully they can add a couple of key free agents to upgrade the blue line and between the pipes. I don't think the Islanders will be as hard a sell to potential free agents as in past years.
    +1 well said

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think they might be able to get out of the lease early bc private companies are bidding for the Coliseum. Private money. They will want to do the renovations ASAP and not having a tenant might help that.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorJet View Post
    Wow... arrogant AND over opinionated. You just run the gammit on douchery don't ya.
    "Gammit"? Talking down the still-alive Rangers in the defeated Islanders thread is the height of douchery

Now, back to your shotgun shack
    Last edited by Jungle Shift Jet; 05-13-2013 at 08:58 AM.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    I caught Game 6 completely on the radio as I had the distinct pleasure of driving home from Washington exactly during game time.

While I got the sense of how the Pens were turning it on in the 3rd, I didn't realize how unfortunate that tying goal was. The OT goal was a function of a well placed shot, good traffic in front and Nabby going down at the first sign of a player shooting.

Damn shame - a game 7 would have been a lot of fun.

It sounded like the 4th line played with a good amount of energy, but I'm curious as to how Brock Nelson specifically looked. Apart from discrete clips showing him scoring, I've never seen him play. Of all the top prospects, I think he has the best shot of having a regular role on the team next year.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    To be honest he didn't really get much playing time. Looks like they were half shifting him.

But he had one memorable shift where he was throwing the body around and he looked very strong albeit on the thin side. Can't wait too see him make the jump next year.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post

While I got the sense of how the Pens were turning it on in the 3rd, I didn't realize how unfortunate that tying goal was. The OT goal was a function of a well placed shot, good traffic in front and Nabby going down at the first sign of a player shooting.
    That would be OK if the goalie is 6'-6" tall. However Nabby at his 5'-2" max. going to his knees so early leaves a ton of empty space above his shoulders. Pitt almost seemed to exclusively shoot high on Nabby.

Maybe Nappy could return next year in a coaching roll instead. Then again, not sure I'd want him coaching the next Isles goalie to drop to your knees immediately.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    That would be OK if the goalie is 6'-6" tall. However Nabby at his 5'-2" max. going to his knees so early leaves a ton of empty space above his shoulders. Pitt almost seemed to exclusively shoot high on Nabby.

Maybe Nappy could return next year in a coaching roll instead. Then again, not sure I'd want him coaching the next Isles goalie to drop to your knees immediately.
    The Pens absolutely went to school on Nabikov, as evident with so many high shots (and so many finding the back of the net).

Every goalie has weaknesses, but the Nabby bashing is growing tiresome. Without Nabby, this team doesn't make the playoffs. He made some big saves, he gave up some softies, but at the end of the day, he was our only option.

Honestly, the only game that I give him the primary fault is Game 3, the first OT loss. He coud have been the difference. The games he was pulled, no goalie would have saved them. And in Game 6, I'd blame Moulson and the offense for not finishing when they absolutely should have- far more than the unlucky goals Nabikov gave up...

The good news is that as long as Wang is willing to spend some money, we certainly have the cap room to fill the holes at netminder and on the blue line.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    The Pens absolutely went to school on Nabikov, as evident with so many high shots (and so many finding the back of the net).

Every goalie has weaknesses, but the Nabby bashing is growing tiresome. Without Nabby, this team doesn't make the playoffs. He made some big saves, he gave up some softies, but at the end of the day, he was our only option.

Honestly, the only game that I give him the primary fault is Game 3, the first OT loss. He coud have been the difference. The games he was pulled, no goalie would have saved them. And in Game 6, I'd blame Moulson and the offense for not finishing when they absolutely should have- far more than the unlucky goals Nabikov gave up...

The good news is that as long as Wang is willing to spend some money, we certainly have the cap room to fill the holes at netminder and on the blue line.
    I don't mind having Nabby come back next year - even in a co-starting role. He was the reason (or one of the main ones) the Isles got to where they were. But, lets call a spade a spade - he was far from spectacular this post-season. And you can't discount the workload he had over the past month of the season....The Isles didn't have a legit backup and he had to play practically every day.

But, he's getting up in age and we can't count on him being the same workhorse he was this year. The difference in this series may well have been Vokoun vs. Poullin. The Pens being a Cup contender made sure that they had a viable backup for their sometimes awful starter. The Isles - rebuilding mode, went with a rookie (of course we had the DP issues as well). Both moves made sense, but it was certainly one of the big factors.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    To be honest he didn't really get much playing time. Looks like they were half shifting him.

But he had one memorable shift where he was throwing the body around and he looked very strong albeit on the thin side. Can't wait too see him make the jump next year.
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure we'll see Nelson centering a line next year. After that, remains to be seen who of Nino, Anders and Strome makes the team. We desperately need the size that the first 3 bring - hopefully they're ready to step up. But having 3 rooks on a team that wants to compete now is a little too optimistic me thinks.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure we'll see Nelson centering a line next year. After that, remains to be seen who of Nino, Anders and Strome makes the team. We desperately need the size that the first 3 bring - hopefully they're ready to step up. But having 3 rooks on a team that wants to compete now is a little too optimistic me thinks.
    I'm not overly concerned on who makes the team at the outset......I'm more concerned about who is going to be on the team at the end.

I easily see them four being contributers next season, just depends on when they are called up and injuries. This team was very healthy this year. And don't forget Donovan. I'm really hoping they let Streit walk and let Donovan take his place. He's ready.

Now just go out and trade/sign one big hulking Dman and a 1a goalie and I'll be like a pig in ****. I'd also like to bring Nabby back but only if he's gonna play in the 25-30 game range.

The best part about this team is all of the decisions they are going to have to make will be hard ones......but in a good way

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Taking a stab at next years lines...(never too early):

Bailey - Tavares - FA/Nino

Moulson - Nielsen - Okposo

Ullstrom - Cizikas - Grabner

Martin - Nelson - McDonald

I wouldn't mind Aucoin sticking around for a spot start and experience. He's undersized but has a lot of energy and knows the system. And Boulton for the occasional needed toughness.

Nino is apparently having a tremendous World Cup. I think he's scored 5 goals or so and is leading the Swiss to a surprising performance. Would be excellent if he could be the player the team thought he was going to be when he was drafted.

I don't think the dude is even 21 yet - he just seems like he was on the team for a while. (and his agent has a big mouth).

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Taking a stab at next years lines...(never too early):

Bailey - Tavares - FA/Nino

Moulson - Nielsen - Okposo

Ullstrom - Cizikas - Grabner

Martin - Nelson - McDonald

I wouldn't mind Aucoin sticking around for a spot start and experience. He's undersized but has a lot of energy and knows the system. And Boulton for the occasional needed toughness.

Nino is apparently having a tremendous World Cup. I think he's scored 5 goals or so and is leading the Swiss to a surprising performance. Would be excellent if he could be the player the team thought he was going to be when he was drafted.

I don't think the dude is even 21 yet - he just seems like he was on the team for a while. (and his agent has a big mouth).
    I like it but for me it's way too early for next years lines. But anyway love the Grabner-Zeeker-Ullstrom line. Those players compliment each other so well.

My dark horse is Lee. He's older, already filled out, and I think it's going too be hard keeping him out of the opening day line-up.

I also would not be shocked if we ship out a forward. Moulson maybe....it's the last year of his deal.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    I like it but for me it's way too early for next years lines. But anyway love the Grabner-Zeeker-Ullstrom line. Those players compliment each other so well.

My dark horse is Lee. He's older, already filled out, and I think it's going too be hard keeping him out of the opening day line-up.

I also would not be shocked if we ship out a forward. Moulson maybe....it's the last year of his deal.
    If some team looks at the stats too much and wants to give us a 1st for Moulson, I'm a pig in sh!t. Him and Boyes were the softest players on the team. Its a shame to see what Tavares had to deal with. I would have moved Boyes and kept Moulson with JT, but anything was better than what they had.

I was giddy about Lee - thought he was going to have a Kreider-like effect, but he may need some seasoning as far as defensive responsibilities, etc. But a full camp will do wonders for the kid as he has absolutely no exposure to professional hockey.

But, as you suggest - its nice to have hard decisions. I can't see Streit coming back - not for what he wants. If he was willing to take a 1 yr deal, I'd consider it.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't mind having Nabby come back next year - even in a co-starting role. He was the reason (or one of the main ones) the Isles got to where they were. But, lets call a spade a spade - he was far from spectacular this post-season. And you can't discount the workload he had over the past month of the season....The Isles didn't have a legit backup and he had to play practically every day.

But, he's getting up in age and we can't count on him being the same workhorse he was this year. The difference in this series may well have been Vokoun vs. Poullin. The Pens being a Cup contender made sure that they had a viable backup for their sometimes awful starter. The Isles - rebuilding mode, went with a rookie (of course we had the DP issues as well). Both moves made sense, but it was certainly one of the big factors.
    I think the only way you keep Nabby is if you believe Poulin will be your #1. If you don't think Poulin is that guy, you have to upgrade over Nabby as he will absolutely not be able to handle the workload again.

FWIW - I would have loved to know what DP has been doing the last two weeks. Must be dead inside by now. And/or very drunk. What a waste. If you want to blame a goalie for not beating Pittsburgh, it's him!

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    If some team looks at the stats too much and wants to give us a 1st for Moulson, I'm a pig in sh!t.
    I'm over trading players for picks. I want an equal value D man in exchange for Moulson... THAT we can use. The time is now.

Of course, the real trade value is with Bailey and Okposo. Hate to give either of them up now (and yes, 3 months ago I would have shipped them for a bag of pucks), but that is who other teams will covet.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm over trading players for picks. I want an equal value D man in exchange for Moulson... THAT we can use. The time is now.

Of course, the real trade value is with Bailey and Okposo. Hate to give either of them up now (and yes, 3 months ago I would have shipped them for a bag of pucks), but that is who other teams will covet.
    Same here. If I'm trading I want a player back. One that either mans the blueline or the net. I'll let the forwards trickle up through the system.

Although I'd still like to sign Nabby as a 1b. I think he is deserving and with the added rest he could be a killer B/U that gets too play more than a few games respectfully. Who knows what will become of Nillson or Koskinen. I have no idea.

Gonna be hard to trade either Bails or Okie, but if the right offer comes along, so be it.

Again, lots of hard (but good) decisions coming up this offseason and throughout the season. Gonna be fun.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like

Same here. If I'm trading I want a player back. One that either mans the blueline or the net. I'll let the forwards trickle up through the system.

Although I'd still like to sign Nabby as a 1b. I think he is deserving and with the added rest he could be a killer B/U that gets too play more than a few games respectfully. Who knows what will become of Nillson or Koskinen. I have no idea.

Gonna be hard to trade either Bails or Okie, but if the right offer comes along, so be it.

Again, lots of hard (but good) decisions coming up this offseason and throughout the season. Gonna be fun.
    I would trade Moulson for a pick in order to package those picks for a Bernier, Bobby Ryan, Shattenkirk, BOgosian type player.

This team needs one or two more blue chippers - if a pick for Moulson gets that done, by all means, I'm in favor of it. A #1 goalie, a #1 Dman or a 1st line winger who can take some pressure off of JT.