Page 44 of 48 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast

Thread: New York Islanders - 2013

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Not a shocker. He's contribution was significant but going forward, the team needs to allocate that salary to a different kind of D-man.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    Not a shocker. He's contribution was significant but going forward, the team needs to allocate that salary to a different kind of D-man.
    The Streit signing signified what terrible shape the team was in at the time. They had to overpay a slightly above average player and even promise to make him captain to get him to sign here. We need his money to sign a goalie.

He was solid, I wish him well.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    The Streit signing signified what terrible shape the team was in at the time. They had to overpay a slightly above average player and even promise to make him captain to get him to sign here. We need his money to sign a goalie.

He was solid, I wish him well.
    That's not true. He's only been Captain for two years - he played here for 5. And Streit was a pretty good signing. He was coming off a very good year, IIRC.

I have no problem with Streit's years here. I also have no problem letting him go. According Staple, the Isles offered him just just shy of $5m/yr over 3 years. While he might be able to get more, I'm surprised he turned that down. I'm also surprised the Isles offered him that much and for that long.

I would have been OK with a 1-2 year offer, but he never would have accepted that. Being that's the case, I'm fine with him going. No way do I want him for 3-4 years, especially considering Lubo is getting up in years and can play the same role as Streit as a puck moving defensemen.

Bring up Matt Donovan and sign someone like Rob Scuderi or Ron Hainsey and wait for the youngsters to be ready in 1-2 years. Griffin Reinhart is still too young for the AHL (I think) so I wouldn't be surprised if they gave him a hard look in TC. I doubt he's ready though.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

And to follow up on the above, its great to think about that in 3 years, the Isles will have the following guys to choose from on the blue line (in addition to Hamonic, AMac and Brian Strait and even Hickey, perhaps):

Reinhart
    Mayfield
    De Haan
    Pelech
    Pedan
    Pokka
    Donovan

All legit prospects that have a good chance of being NHLers.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I thought we all gave up on de Haan, no?

All Pro
    Curious to see what he can do if he can find a way to stay healthy.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    And to follow up on the above, its great to think about that in 3 years, the Isles will have the following guys to choose from on the blue line (in addition to Hamonic, AMac and Brian Strait and even Hickey, perhaps):

Reinhart
    Mayfield
    De Haan
    Pelech
    Pedan
    Pokka
    Donovan

All legit prospects that have a good chance of being NHLers.
    That list has me salivating in a non-homo way. The only problem is it's going too take years before at least some of them amount to studs ( again non-homo). Bring up Donovan, sign a top guy...lol or let one of the other rookies make the team.
    The future is bright and as good as Streit was to this team, parting ways is the right decision. He is going to sign for his numbers not his value too a team. I'm just so glad Snow signed Vis for a couple more years. IMO he is a far superior player in almost every area of play. But I do give props for the ability that Streit has at getting pucks through. Hopefully Hammer learned something from him.

Gonna be FUN next year.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithfan View Post
    I know I gave up on Dehaan. Guy can't make it thru an AHL season, so why would I expect anything more at the NHL level.

All League
    Also reports Nabby will be back.

Newsday is reporting New York Islanders defenseman Mark Streit will not return to the team next season.

MARK STREIT - 2013 PLAYOFFS
    DEFENSE - NYI
    GOALS: 2 | ASST: 3 | PTS: 5
    SOG: 8 | +/-: -1
    Streit, who can become an unrestricted free agent in July, reportedly turned down what the team had termed its best offer, and will allow Streit to hit the open market.
    The 35-year-old blueliner had 27 points in 48 games last season, his fourth with the team, and had five points in the team's six-game, first-round playoff series loss to the Pittsburgh Penguins.

He had been captain since the start of the 2011-12 season.

Streit has 288 points in 491 NHL games with the Montreal Canadiens and the Islanders.

The newspaper also reports John Tavares is likely to take over as captain for Streit; goaltender Evgeni Nabokov is likely to re-sign before July 5; and forward Brad Boyes is unlikely to return as he seeks a long-term contract, though talks with the Islanders are ongoing.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    Also reports Nabby will be back.
    Call me crazy but I like Nabby coming back.....just not as a 1A. Lets see how this plays out.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by RobR View Post
    Call me crazy but I like Nabby coming back.....just not as a 1A. Lets see how this plays out.
    I am not a big fan of Nabakov. If he is gonna be back, hopefully they will have someone to share the load.

Anyone think Poulin has a chance to be anything but a career back-up?

All League
    Call ME crazy, but I want a legit #1 goaltender. Maybe there's no one out there, and we're stuck with Nabby. With some top quality goaltending, maybe the Isles could have pulled a higher seed. Maybe even won the Pitt series. Maybe not. Who knows.

Just looking at the goaltending in the remaining teams (sans Pitt ), it makes me sad the Isles have no where near that type of quality. Let face it, great goaltending will get you to the Stanley Cup, not small streaky 38 yr old goaltending.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

A very interesting article (and subsequent commentary) speculating about buyout deals with the Islanders, Canucks, Luongo and DP...

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...take-dipietro/

All Pro
    Call ME crazy, but I want a legit #1 goaltender. Maybe there's no one out there, and we're stuck with Nabby. With some top quality goaltending, maybe the Isles could have pulled a higher seed. Maybe even won the Pitt series. Maybe not. Who knows.

Just looking at the goaltending in the remaining teams (sans Pitt ), it makes me sad the Isles have no where near that type of quality. Let face it, great goaltending will get you to the Stanley Cup, not small streaky 38 yr old goaltending.
    I agree completely. If the Isles are going to become an elite team, they will need better goaltending than they have gotten over the last couple of years. I will give Nabby credit for playing well during the stretch when the Isles played their way into the playoffs, but he has not played consistently well enough for this team to become one of the elite teams in the East and his best years are behind him.

Since it sounds like he will be back next year, we can at least hope it will be in a diminished role. He seemed to run out of steam in the last week of the reg season and the playoffs, and we will be back to an 80 game schedule next year. They will at least need someone who can share the load with him, although I would prefer to see them bring someone in as a number one and allow Nabby to be the back-up.

I have seen a lot of discussion about Bernier, but I wish I knew whether that was a realistic possibility or just fans talking and hoping. Has LA indicated any willingness to move him?

All League
    A very interesting article (and subsequent commentary) speculating about buyout deals with the Islanders, Canucks, Luongo and DP...

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...take-dipietro/
    How did DP do in Bpt the rest of the season?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by RobR View Post
    I know I gave up on Dehaan. Guy can't make it thru an AHL season, so why would I expect anything more at the NHL level.
    I gave up any real expectations from him but I wouldn't simply give up on him. is barely 22 - There's a lot unwritten still. There's a real chance he is able to stay healthy and force his way onto the team. I wouldn't count on him when making out our October roster (like most people are doing with Donovan), but he's still a possibility down the road.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

How did DP do in Bpt the rest of the season?
    Terrible. He's done.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

I am not a big fan of Nabakov. If he is gonna be back, hopefully they will have someone to share the load.

Anyone think Poulin has a chance to be anything but a career back-up?
    I can't imagine Snow going into the season with Nabby as the #1 goalie without another option. Even last year, DP was supposed to get significant playing time.

Whether its a trade for Bernier or a FA like Khodobin, I really believe that Snow will get another viable goalie option.

I don't think Poulin has what it takes, at this point, for anything other than spot starts. Down the road? Possible. But not in 2013.

All League
    Terrible. He's done.
    Seems like the only rational move, then, is to buy out the contract. I don't think trading DP and other players to another team just form them to buy out DP is a smart idea.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Seems like the only rational move, then, is to buy out the contract. I don't think trading DP and other players to another team just form them to buy out DP is a smart idea.
    Yeah, but that Luongo scenario discussed in that article intrigues me.